PDA

View Full Version : Holmgren on Vermeil, Gibbs, Parcells...

Joe Seahawk
12-01-2004, 10:17 PM
I thought it was interesting, and I agree about the Free agency thing..

Q: This season we've seen historically successful coaches like Parcells, Gibbs, and Vermeil struggling a bit.

Holmgren: “Those guys, the fellas you mentioned, I would defer to all three of those guys. I was an assistant coach when Bill and Dick and, I might have been coaching in high school when they were head coaches in this league. But some things have changed. In the organizations, when Bill was with the Giants or Joe was with Washington, when Dick Vermeil was first, you had players with you a long time. The idea of a team being a family was really true. The player, right or wrong, the player didn't have an option of not doing what you wanted him to do and then you said, hey, I'm going to play out my contract and go over here because I don't like it here. Those things didn't exist and so you had a little different feeling that way. You could really mold your team and build your team exactly the way you wanted it and you weren't worried about losing a key guy because of some sort of salary-cap issue. That's one thing. The idea of quarterback depth, in San Francisco at one point we had Montana, Young, you had these guys and they weren't going anywhere. They were there. That's about as good as you can get. We had Steve Bono and some other guys as the third quarterback that you had, if you got injured at quarterback, you had a chance to have a really good one come in and play for you. But the salary cap and free agency has changed some of that. Also, most coaches don't have the time, aren't given the time to maybe develop something. And then once you think you're there, then something crazy happens. You get injured or you lose a key guy. I can remember with Bill Parcells, the last game he coached (with the Jets) was against us in New York on new year's day. The last game he coached for the Jets. And that year, and we talked before the game and he said, you know, he hadn't announced it yet, he said, I'm stepping down, I'm retiring. And I said really? And he said yeah. He goes, this year this team, I had a Super Bowl team. He had been to the playoffs the year before and he had a Super Bowl team, he felt. And (Vinny) Testaverde blew his achilles out in the preseason, like game three of the preseason. I don't remember exactly what they finished but they were like 6-10. It was tough. They didn't have a quarterback. He had every other piece of the puzzle but he didn't have the quarterback, in his mind. And he just goes, ‘I can't’. At that time he said I can't deal with that, he's too much of a perfectionist. I think there are a lot of things that have changed but if given the time, if given the time, you know, and nothing catastrophic happens, you should have a good chance to one, improve your team greatly, and then to get to the Super Bowl and to win a Super Bowl, you need a lot of luck. You need a lot of things to happen, to go your way. And I think you should be able to, and I've always said this: to become a playoff caliber team, I think that's reasonable. And those guys (Parcells, Gibbs, Vermeil), they're my idols. Those are my mentors. Those are the guys I looked up to when I got into the league. I will always say that. They're the best.”

KCJohnny
12-01-2004, 10:22 PM
They suck this year. Dallas 4-7. Skins 3-8. KC 3-8. Holmgren worships the wrong idols. What has Seattle done since he took over? SQUAT.

dirk digler
12-01-2004, 10:25 PM
Great piece Joe! :thumb:

booger
12-01-2004, 10:26 PM
I can't believe he left out marty.

Logical
12-01-2004, 10:27 PM
I thought that was a very polite way of saying that time has passed them by and implied that maybe himself as well.

Joe Seahawk
12-01-2004, 10:28 PM
He should idolize Gunther Cunningham or Marty Schottenheimer..

But you're right 2 playoff appearances (probably a 3rd this year) after 5 years is not making many people up here happy..

KCJohnny
12-01-2004, 10:28 PM
I thought that was a very polite way of saying that time has passed them by and implied that maybe himself as well.
The Walrus has not exactly lit up the league in the last decade...

Logical
12-01-2004, 10:30 PM
He should idolize Gunther Cunningham or Marty Schottenheimer..

But you're right 2 playoff appearances (probably a 3rd this year) after 5 years is not making many people up here happy..

Joe would you feel good about the Hawks making the playoffs with a sub .500 record (which seems entirely possible right now)?

Joe Seahawk
12-01-2004, 10:35 PM
The Walrus has not exactly lit up the league in the last decade...
Well, he's been to 2 Superbowls winning 1, and been to the playoffs 4 other times besides that, not including this year..

I dunno KC Johny.. Thats not too bad a decade as NFL coaches go..

BTW, welcome home and thank you for your service

Joe Seahawk
12-01-2004, 10:38 PM
Joe would you feel good about the Hawks making the playoffs with a sub .500 record (which seems entirely possible right now)?

Only if they went on to win the Superbowl.. :)

I just want to know what happened to the offense that destroyed Baltimore, and the Packers on the road last year, as well as went 8-0 at home.. It's the exact same players on offense! Our D has improved, but our "O" tanks.. :banghead:

The Bad Guy
12-01-2004, 10:39 PM
They suck this year. Dallas 4-7. Skins 3-8. KC 3-8. Holmgren worships the wrong idols. What has Seattle done since he took over? SQUAT.

Who should he worship?

Gunther and his 500 record for 2 seasons?

I bet he would if he sent him a care package.

philfree
12-01-2004, 10:44 PM

Hell we knew that already. What he was really saying is that most coaches don't get the time needed to build a winning team. Between the demand of win now and the crunch of free agency most coaches never have a chance to get it done. And just when they think they do have a chance key injuries or something blows it all up. The fact is winning it all isn't easy and everything can be done right but it still don't happen for what ever reason. And when it don't the status quo is you suck and you are fired.

PhilFree :arrow:
~people don't want honesty and good coaching they want Championships and that is all~

Joe Seahawk
12-01-2004, 10:46 PM
Hell we knew that already. What he was really saying is that most coaches don't get the time needed to build a winning team. Between the demand of win now and the crunch of free agency most coaches never have a chance to get it done. And just when they think they do have a chance key injuries or something blows it all up. The fact is winning it all isn't easy and everything can be done right but it still don't happen for what ever reason. And when it don't the status quo is you suck and you are fired.

~people don't want honesty and good coaching they want Championships and that is all~

That was my take as well..

the Talking Can
12-01-2004, 10:50 PM

thanks for your typically myopic response, you douchebag

I appreciated his comments, and it is clear he's been thinking a lot about the impending end of his own job.

Joe Seahawk
12-01-2004, 11:09 PM
It's kind of a lousy transcript.. Here is the windows media in case anyone is interested..

http://www.seahawks.com/media/hawks1097.asx

philfree
12-01-2004, 11:22 PM
That was my take as well..

I always did like you.

BigChiefFan
12-01-2004, 11:48 PM
They suck this year. Dallas 4-7. Skins 3-8. KC 3-8. Holmgren worships the wrong idols. What has Seattle done since he took over? SQUAT.There is actually no hope for you, is there?
Worship Gunther or Marty-thanks for the laugh.