PDA

View Full Version : Does this look like a Scam?

jspchief
12-01-2004, 10:50 PM
I just recieved an E-mail, supposedly from my ISP. Here's the contents: Dearest msn user,

This is an automated email-notification sent to your registered e-mail adress.
Please do not reply to it as it will not reach the just department.
-
Recently there have been many reports of fraud activity regarding stolen account information and stolen identities.

This requires a full update on your records matching our database information to suit the future prolongation of account billing.
You will be prompted to provide full and complete information regarding your account with us just so you can identify your online personality.

Please take six minutes to fill out the forms.
Failure to update your online records will result in a halt of your email account and a possible reactivation fee.

Please >Click_Here (http://www.flicklives.com/Glossary/jersey/mexican.jpg) to refresh your billing account data.

Thank you for using MSN,
MSNPasswords Representative. The link it sends me to asks for just about any piece of private information you could imagine, like my account password. It also asks for a CC number and security code and PIN, SSN#, and MMN (I assume Mother's Maiden Name).

My ISP shouldn't need any of that info, since I pay for my service through my phone company. It just reeks of scam, but I'll admit I almost fell for it.

teedubya
12-01-2004, 10:54 PM
dumbass.

teedubya
12-01-2004, 10:55 PM
heh. I almost fell for an Ebay one... some verification of username / pass due to potential violation of my acct... but I went to ebay first... and noticed my acct was fine. Im a smart mofo, but Im sure vast shitloads fell for that one... very VERY official looking.

cheeeefs
12-01-2004, 10:56 PM
scamalishous

just for future reference, even if it isn't a scam and sounds legit. If a company you are a customer of is asking for personal information, don't respond to the email. Get on the phone and call them, if it's true they will know about it and you won't be falling for a scam. NEVER ever give out personal info for an email request.

jspchief
12-01-2004, 10:59 PM
The only reason I even thought about it was because I've never received anything like it. You hear about them, but it kind of caught me off guard when it actually happened to me. Asking for things like "mother's maiden name" made it a bit too obvious.

I wish I was some hella hacker so I could reply with a nuclear trojan ass-raping.

Pants
12-02-2004, 01:05 AM
Have any of you been getting shit like that from "banks" you aren't even a customer of? They make that shit look hella real.

Michael Michigan
12-02-2004, 01:07 AM
Curses! Foiled again!

I mean, uh... just PM me the info. I'll take care of it for ya.

I told you to leave off the Mother's maiden name.

Dammitt.

Demonpenz
12-02-2004, 01:09 AM
do you like almost famous MM, i am watching it right now

Joe Seahawk
12-02-2004, 01:11 AM
It could be legit.. I just can't wait til my luggage shows up.. :)

FORM J-7(W): APPLICATION TO REQUEST TRANSFER OF GOODS revised2004

DISPOSER ACQUIRER
Name of disposer: International Shipping Depot
Address: PO BOX 9056
City: Hicksville, NY 11802
Address: My full address
DESCRIPTION OF GOODS DETAIL OF GOODS
5 Piece matched custom - crafted Gucci Leather Set US$540.00 Chanel White Leather/Pink Handles Tote US$690.00 Prada tote with chain straps US$790.00 Fernando Dalie Leather collection US$79.00 Coach Leather ensemble US$490.00 Fendi classic bags US$695.00 Louis Vuitton tote bag US$795.00. Max. Val: US$795.00
Location Code: 01475 AN 661
Claim Code: BN 0177
ACQUIRER INFORMATION
Location Code: 01475 AN 661
Claim Code: BN 0177

DELIVERY FEE
US$ 34.71 to help defray international shipping advertising and promotional costs, insurance and documentation. All import duties and transfer fees will be borne by shipper.
This is your

[ X ] first [ ] second [ ] final

notice for the transfer of ownership of goods. Please act immediately.
WAREHOUSE CLAIM INSTRUCTIONS OFFER TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The package being held for you contains a custom-crafted 5-Piece Matched Gucci Leather Set worth US$ 540.00 or other luxurious designer leather accessory as described in the package contents above.

ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS
This Gucci Luggage Set and other Intern-ational Designer Leather Accessories are being distributed in an international marketing program conducted by International Shipping Depot on behalf of a global leather marketing company. you is one of a select group of individuals in {Country} who has qualified to participate in this distribution. Most of these are the same designer leather brands found in expensive boutiques in Paris, London, Los Angeles and New York.
DELIVERY FEE
US$ 34.71 to help defray international shipping advertising and promotional costs, insurance and documentation. All import duties and transfer fees will be borne by shipper.
BONDED RELEASE PAYMENT REQUIRED
To claim your package, you must act within next 11 days.

OFFICE USE ONLY

LC: 01475 AN 661 CC: BN 0177 PD
CR CH
MO

Taco John
12-02-2004, 01:23 AM
I just recieved an E-mail, supposedly from my ISP. Here's the contents:

The link it sends me to asks for just about any piece of private information you could imagine, like my account password. It also asks for a CC number and security code and PIN, SSN#, and MMN (I assume Mother's Maiden Name).

My ISP shouldn't need any of that info, since I pay for my service through my phone company. It just reeks of scam, but I'll admit I almost fell for it.

Take that link down dumbass.... You're going to get someone's computer infected with crap...

LTownChief
12-02-2004, 02:08 AM
it's called "Fishing" and they use it for identity theft. you should report that email to the authorities. No company would EVER send out an email asking for that kind of info

LTownChief
12-02-2004, 02:09 AM
Take that link down dumbass.... You're going to get someone's computer infected with crap...

its not for viruses. just identity theft

Taco John
12-02-2004, 02:14 AM
They have to get something on your machine in order for it to work...

Someone should seriously get rid of that live link before someone like TommyKat clicks on it not knowing that it might be dangerous.

Dartgod
12-02-2004, 07:44 AM

Someone should seriously get rid of that live link before someone like TommyKat clicks on it not knowing that it might be dangerous.
You already clicked on it, didn't you Corky? :loser:

PastorMikH
12-02-2004, 08:47 AM
You already clicked on it, didn't you Corky? :loser:

I can see Taco's point on this one. Click the link and get some spyware. Then, buy something next week on the net with your CC. Then when your CC statement comes you see some dude in africa charged $10k on your card pretending to be you.

I haven't clicked the link and I think it should also be removed.

BTW, got an email from "Paypal" yesterday confirming a $280 cash transaction. Went to my paypal account to check and nothing. Watch out for those emails as well and don't click ANY links provided in them.

Dartgod
12-02-2004, 08:49 AM
I can see Taco's point on this one. Click the link and get some spyware. Then, buy something next week on the net with your CC. Then when your CC statement comes you see some dude in africa charged $10k on your card pretending to be you.

I haven't clicked the link and I think it should also be removed.

BTW, got an email from "Paypal" yesterday confirming a $280 cash transaction. Went to my paypal account to check and nothing. Watch out for those emails as well and don't click ANY links provided in them.
Oh, I do too. I just like flipping TJ some sh*t whenever I get the opportunity. :evil:

Lzen
12-02-2004, 09:01 AM
Definitely a classis phishing scam. Don't buy it. And TJ's right, you should take down the link.

jspchief
12-02-2004, 09:21 AM
Relax, the link's harmless.

Abba-Dabba
12-02-2004, 09:30 AM
That's no scam. I recieved my 20% of the 38 million dollars yesterday. You guys are so gulliable.

OldTownChief
12-02-2004, 09:37 AM

Bull Shit!!! It is a mass mailing to millions of @msn or @hotmail addy's. Been going around for about a year now.

The link's worthless unless you fill out the form with your info.

OldTownChief
12-02-2004, 09:38 AM
ROFL I clicked the link ROFL

jspchief
12-02-2004, 09:52 AM
ROFL I clicked the link ROFL

All your base are belong to us!

OldTownChief
12-02-2004, 09:57 AM
All your base are belong to us!

TJ says "Take down that link or I'm leaving forever"

KC Jones
12-02-2004, 09:59 AM
its not for viruses. just identity theft

and/or it may be for installing some nice little zombiebot spyware. I mean why pass up the opportunity to make some money off of the people who click on the link but don't send you that info. And yes, people do make money from installing spyware or turning your PC into a zombie. Who knows what kind of information can be ferreted out with spyware and then you have zombies sold by the farm for spam and other malicious purposes.

If you know the server is being used for a scam operation, why on earth would you trust it to not be used for viruses, trojans, or spyware?

jspchief
12-02-2004, 10:04 AM
and/or it may be for installing some nice little zombiebot spyware. I mean why pass up the opportunity to make some money off of the people who click on the link but don't send you that info. And yes, people do make money from installing spyware or turning your PC into a zombie. Who knows what kind of information can be ferreted out with spyware and then you have zombies sold by the farm for spam and other malicious purposes.

If you know the server is being used for a scam operation, why on earth would you trust it to not be used for viruses, trojans, or spyware?

Take a moment away from scooping the sand out of your virginia, to click the link. It's Harmless!

Dartgod
12-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Take a moment away from scooping the sand out of your virginia, to click the link. It's Harmless!
Hehehe....nice. :thumb:

Taco John
12-02-2004, 11:12 AM
Relax, the link's harmless.

Uncle Pedro will cut you for that one... :p

Alton deFlat
12-02-2004, 01:02 PM
I received an e-bay one this morning. Bastards!!!
This is what it says, in case someone else gets one.

***Urgent Safeharbor Department Notice***

SafeHarbor Suspension

Dear customer,

We regret to inform you that your eBay account will be suspended due to the violation of our site policy below:

* Misrepresentation of Identity (User) - Representing yourself as another eBay user or registering using the identity of another. Due to the suspension of this account, please be advised you are prohibited from using eBay in any way.

This includes the registering of a new account. Please note that this suspension does not relieve you of your agreed-upon obligation to pay any fees you may owe to eBay. According to our site policy you will have to confirm that you are the real owner of the eBay account by completing the following form or else your account will be deleted.

Please Note - If your account informations are not updated within the next 72 hours, then we will assume this account is fraudulent and will be cancelled. We apologize for this inconvenience, but the purpose of this verification is to ensure that your eBay account has not been fraudulently used and to combat fraud.

We apreciate your support and understading, as we work together to keep eBay a safe place to trade

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Regards, Safeharbor Department (Trust and Safety Department)
eBay Inc.

Please do not reply to this e-mail as this is only a notification mail sent to this address cannot answered

SPchief
12-02-2004, 01:09 PM
ROFL