PDA

View Full Version : Self says Robinson will be 'terrific'

teedubya
12-01-2004, 11:37 PM
By Gary Bedore, Assistant Sports Editor

Wednesday, December 1, 2004

Fan-favorite Russell Robinson certainly is off to a strong start in his Kansas University men's basketball career.

It may be too early, however, to proclaim the 6-foot-1, 185-pound ball-hawking New Yorker freshman of the year in the Big 12 Conference.

"Russell will be terrific," KU coach Bill Self said Monday night after watching Robinson score 13 points off 6-of-9 shooting with three steals in 16 minutes in KU's 85-52 victory over Nevada at Allen Fieldhouse. "If he makes an uncontested layup, he's leading scorer in the game for us. (But) he's so careless with the ball still. He'll be the first to tell you that.

"We're not going to tell him he's doing great yet. He has a lot to work on, and he knows that. Needless to say, I'm happy we've got him. I think he has a chance to be a great basketball player here."

Robinson had perhaps the most memorable play in Monday's rout. In the second half, a strong move to the hole resulted in a finger-roll layup. The ball sat on the rim for what seemed an eternity before finally dropping.

Just the mention of Robinson's name by host Bob Davis brought applause from fans on hand for the broadcast of Self's Hawk Talk radio show Tuesday night.

"Everybody is so excited about Russell, and nobody is more excited about Russell than I am. Nobody," Self said on his show. "But let's not get too carried away. He made some plays last night, but most were broken floor plays, layup-type plays, which are good plays. Against certain type teams, you don't get those plays.

"The thing about Russell," continued Self of the player who is averaging 7.7 points in three games, "is he turns it over, he'll go steal it right back. Not everybody has that luxury. I think he's doing terrific. I don't think he's where we need him to be in tight ballgames in conference play. He's got to tighten it up a bit. Russell understands."

Robinson realizes he's not nearly as polished as, say, senior Aaron Miles, who had 10 assists against no turnovers Monday. For the year, Robinson has seven assists, eight turnovers and five steals.
video 6Sports video: Kansas offers well-rounded performance aganst Nevada
video 6Sports video: Langford 'mediocre' against Wolf Pack
* Self says Robinson will be 'terrific'
* Woodling: Miles dandy, other opinions
e-mail Sign up for e-mail updates
cell phone Sign up for cell phone notifications

"Basically, Aaron talks to me before every game," Robinson said. "He says, ‘Come out, play hard, try to lessen your mistakes, think the next play, create something in the game.'

"I am out there letting the game come to me, try to play under coach's system and run the offense and try to do everything right, to play under control. I try to create something new for opposing teams to look at. I'm not there yet. I'm still struggling with turnovers, little mistakes I need to work on to correct every day."

Slow start for Langford: KU senior Keith Langford is averaging 9.3 points and 3.3 rebounds a game. He has made nine of 24 shots, three of eight threes and seven of 15 free throws.

"I don't think he's played bad. Off his first step, he's probably as quick as he was anytime I've been able to coach him," Self said on his radio show. "Keith had a rough offseason (rehabbing from knee surgery). He's about 75 or 80 percent of where he was. His explosion is not there. That's not any secret.

"We have not thrown any lobs to Keith this year, not because we don't want to. He's not near as good off the two-foot jump as he will be. All it is, is it will take time. Fans should not get frustrated with his situation at all, and Keith should not get frustrated because this is a natural process you go through after a major surgery. He's doing a lot better than two weeks ago. He's going to get there. He's close, but not quite there yet."

Hawkins hits court: Junior Jeff Hawkins saw his first action of the season, logging two minutes.

"I would just as soon play Jeff as anybody if he's in our top five on the perimeter," Self said. "If he's not, it's hard to get guys in. Of the guys on the perimeter who probably deserve to play next, it's probably Nick Bahe. Look at Nick from the start of the school year to today. He's been the most consistent.

"‘Hawk' can heat the ball up. Nick is steadiest, then you've got Alex (Galindo, six points versus Nevada in four minutes). I don't know how much Jeff, Alex or Nick will play. I will say this, they get the opportunity every day in practice. They'll have to crack the top five to get substantial minutes unless injuries occur or foul problems, and we haven't had to deal with those yet."

royr17
12-01-2004, 11:43 PM
I think next year you will be see a lineup of Mario Chalmers, Russell Robinson, Julian Wright or Micah Downs, Darnell Jackson, and C.J. Giles ...

But that Robinson kid is gonna be good in my honest opinion.

royr17
12-01-2004, 11:44 PM
Lets get rid of the Robinson smile please ...

teedubya
12-02-2004, 08:30 PM
yeah the Robinson smilie should be triggered with GRob or something else...

But Im stoked about this RR kid... got mad skills.

Saulbadguy
12-02-2004, 08:35 PM
I think next year you will be see a lineup of Mario Chalmers, Russell Robinson, Julian Wright or Micah Downs, Darnell Jackson, and C.J. Giles ...

But that Robinson kid is gonna be good in my honest opinion.
Do you think JR Giddens will leave for the NBA?

teedubya
12-02-2004, 08:38 PM
you know, with people hating on the NBA so much, I think kids may stick around longer in college... Giddens will leave after junior year I bet... He would be nice as a 4 year guy though...

Pants
12-02-2004, 08:40 PM
Do you even realize how much hot college punani that kid is getting? He's having good times. But yeah, he'll probably leave...

Saulbadguy
12-02-2004, 08:41 PM
you know, with people hating on the NBA so much, I think kids may stick around longer in college... Giddens will leave after junior year I bet... He would be nice as a 4 year guy though...
I don't know about the first part. Its still $$$. Giddens needs to work on his defense. He'd get picked up this year in the draft. If he sticks around for his junior year, he could be a lottery pick.