PDA

View Full Version : KC Star's Ivan Carter moving on....

tk13
12-03-2004, 02:32 AM
...in January. From Jeffrey Flanagan's column today... I guess normally this wouldn't be a big deal but I know a ton of people here (myself included) really enjoyed his work and many considered him the Star's best Chiefs reporter...

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/mlb/kansas_city_royals/10325907.htm

Here's a special Top of the Mornin' salute to two Star staffers who will soon be moving on: high school columnist Derek Samson and Chiefs reporter Ivan Carter.

Samson's last day is today. He will be the editor of a new sports magazine on the Big 12 Conference called Conference Call, based in Kansas City. Carter will stay through the end of the Chiefs season before he heads to the Washington Post to cover the University of Maryland.

Both of them will be sorely missed in the sports department.

http://www.kansascity.com/images/kansascity/kansascitystar/news/CARTER_IVAN.jpg

KcMizzou
12-03-2004, 02:38 AM
Damn. That really sucks.

Hammock Parties
12-03-2004, 02:40 AM
WTF

I guess Ivan's all about the money.

I have a feeling the Star will promote that Richardson guy who sometimes covers KC.

tk13
12-03-2004, 02:45 AM
Let's just all jump the bandwagon and become Terps fans... ROFL

jAZ
12-03-2004, 02:46 AM
That does suck. Ivan, you'll be missed.

Let's hope they can find someone more like Ivan than Jason or Adam.

KcMizzou
12-03-2004, 02:47 AM
Let's just all jump the bandwagon and become Terps fans... ROFL
KcIvanStalker

Miles
12-03-2004, 02:47 AM
WTF

Or wanting to write for one of the best newspapers in the country.

KcMizzou
12-03-2004, 02:48 AM
That does suck. Ivan, you'll be missed.
Amen. Good luck dude.

(I wonder what the odds are that he reads the board?)

Long live the Black Russian.

tk13
12-03-2004, 02:50 AM
KcIvanStalker
ROFL At least we'd make the playoffs. And really, how can you not root for a team who has a star forward with the last name "Caner-Medley"?

Spicy McHaggis
12-03-2004, 04:20 AM
Man I was hoping Carter would eventually get a radio gig around KC. I think he has good takes on most stuff Chiefs. Ivan>Teicher. Good luck to Carter though, I hope he does well.

mikey23545
12-03-2004, 05:26 AM
What a damn shame...

I guess this season was too much for Ivan to take, too....

Gaz
12-03-2004, 06:50 AM
I liked Carter’s articles.

Good luck, Ivan.

xoxo~
Gaz
Furtively wiping away a solitary tear.

Bob Dole
12-03-2004, 06:50 AM
Rumor has it that kcnut will be taking over Carter's duties.

Skip Towne
12-03-2004, 07:05 AM
man im all fer that

Phobia
12-03-2004, 07:40 AM

Shit. Now what am I supposed to post on this thread?

the Talking Can
12-03-2004, 07:40 AM
that blows, he was the best persond they had covering the Chiefs...that is quite a promotion, though, good for him

patteeu
12-03-2004, 08:19 AM
He will definitely be missed around here.

2bikemike
12-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Good move for Ivan bad move for us. I guess I wouldn't want to be associated with the other hacks writing for the Chiefs either.

KCWolfman
12-03-2004, 09:59 AM
WTF

I have a feeling the Star will promote that Richardson guy who sometimes covers KC.
I would be all about the money as well. Last I heard it still is the best form of currency on the market.

Iowanian
12-03-2004, 10:05 AM
I like his articles too............He's the sportswriter I like best in KC.....Too bad the Post didn't want big fatty...

He'll probably be more challenged............Its got to get monotonous to write "its monday...the Royals sucked again last night", "its tuesday, the Royals sucked again last night, and the Chiefs haven't done anything in FA"..."Its Monday, the Royals are 25-75 and the Chiefs look like they are going to Suck" "Its tuesday, Yep.....they both still suck"

It'd be alot like writing the script for Rob Schneider's character on the waterboy....."oh no....we suck a-gain"

Eleazar
12-03-2004, 10:09 AM
That sucks. Carter is the only one over there who knows dick about anything.

But who wouldn't leave for a job with the Washington Post?

Eleazar
12-03-2004, 10:10 AM
WTF

Spoken like someone who's never had a job in their life.

ChiTown
12-03-2004, 10:15 AM
Spoken like someone who's never had a job in their life.

ROFL ROFL

NO shit.

Note: Everytime you leave a job, you generally make more money. Upward mobility in a career is a good thing :)

KCWolfman
12-03-2004, 10:19 AM
ROFL ROFL

NO shit.

Note: Everytime you leave a job, you generally make more money. Upward mobility in a career is a good thing :)
Speaking of, today is my last day on this job and I haven't done squat.

Of course, it is all about the money for me, so that probably explains it.

Eleazar
12-03-2004, 10:20 AM

Moving on to bigger and better, I suppose? Congrats.

Phobia
12-03-2004, 10:20 AM

Congrats! Did you finally find something different or are you still in the medical collections field?

ChiTown
12-03-2004, 10:22 AM

slacker................

KCWolfman
12-03-2004, 10:22 AM
Congrats! Did you finally find something different or are you still in the medical collections field?
Still in the same field, but a HUGE raise with tons of new responsibilites. My old boss is retiring (I guess he is old in both senses of the word) and he wants me to come back as a possible director for the Medical Billing staff. I will be in charge of twice the amount of staff as previously done, but with more assistants.

KCWolfman
12-03-2004, 10:23 AM
slacker................
KING Slacker, thank you very much.

ChiTown
12-03-2004, 10:24 AM
KING Slacker, thank you very much.

Oh, I see, the Title is more important to you than the money, eh?

KCWolfman
12-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Oh, I see, the Title is more important to you than the money, eh?
Dammit - Quandry approaching

Rain Man
12-03-2004, 10:40 AM
I'm sorry, but I just don't see how it's possible to be a King Slacker. You'd have to be motivated to seize the crown, but before you could do that you'd be expelled from the Kingdom.

Unless this is one of those Hapsberg deals where you become king of a country you've never visited. Are you inbred, by any chance?

ChiTown
12-03-2004, 10:41 AM
Are you inbred, by any chance?

Now THAT would explain a lot!

KCWolfman
12-03-2004, 10:44 AM
I'm sorry, but I just don't see how it's possible to be a King Slacker. You'd have to be motivated to seize the crown, but before you could do that you'd be expelled from the Kingdom.

Unless this is one of those Hapsberg deals where you become king of a country you've never visited. Are you inbred, by any chance?
I have never tried in, but I prefer wheat.

I achieved the unlofty goal as I was to damned lazy to take away the title donned on me by my boss and superior, also known as my wife.

stevieray
12-03-2004, 10:45 AM
Still in the same field, but a HUGE raise with tons of new responsibilites. My old boss is retiring (I guess he is old in both senses of the word) and he wants me to come back as a possible director for the Medical Billing staff. I will be in charge of twice the amount of staff as previously done, but with more assistants.

This is way overdue. Congratulations, Russ.

Rain Man
12-03-2004, 10:46 AM
How sad. I liked Ivan's work. Can I still send him Chiefs questions?

Congrats to you, Russ. And remember, if you're going to abuse your employees, abuse them so badly that they'll be too weak to revolt. It worked for Saddam, it can work for you.

ChiTown
12-03-2004, 10:50 AM

Good point.

Alll joking aside, Congrats!

just remember all the little people that got you there......

KCWolfman
Steve - You will not believe what a relief it will be to work only 50 hours a week, and a schedule to see my kids in school activities and at home.

Thanks.

KCWolfman
How sad. I liked Ivan's work. Can I still send him Chiefs questions?

Congrats to you, Russ. And remember, if you're going to abuse your employees, abuse them so badly that they'll be too weak to revolt. It worked for Saddam, it can work for you.
The best stepping stones are trod upon daily.

KCWolfman
12-03-2004, 10:51 AM
Good point.

Alll joking aside, Congrats!

just remember all the little people that got you there......
Yeah, cannon fodder seems to have done well in my work.

Thanks

KCWolfman
12-03-2004, 11:09 AM
Figures. Russ the Egotistical hijacks the thread to make it all about him.
King Egotistical Inbred Slacker, thank you very much.

You're just pissed I am a leader on this thread, go back to your nachos.

go bo
12-03-2004, 01:22 PM

Of course, it is all about the money for me, so that probably explains it.new job?

congratulations... :toast: :toast:

|Zach|
12-03-2004, 01:31 PM
Yeah, cannon fodder seems to have done well in my work.

Thanks
You know its not to late to get a job at Lunar Bowl.

Iowanian
12-03-2004, 01:32 PM

FRANKIE!!!!!!

Inquire within.

KCWolfman
12-03-2004, 02:00 PM
No, the last time I interviewed I broke my leg trying to reset the pins. Your dad didn't tell me it was automated for a full hour.

beavis
12-03-2004, 02:00 PM
This sucks. The one guy writing for the Star I could stand. Good luck Ivan.

Phobia
12-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Good luck, Mr. Blonde

Iowanian
12-03-2004, 02:05 PM
Are you Bullshitting Phildo?

If so.......why'd he leave the board?

|Zach|
12-03-2004, 02:15 PM
No, the last time I interviewed I broke my leg trying to reset the pins. Your dad didn't tell me it was automated for a full hour.
I have to call bullshit on that. My dad usually doesn't learn someones name till they have been there for like 5 months.. ROFL

But your post reminds me when I was in HS and still working there. It was really late one night during "cosmic bowl" and these guys had been drinking a little bit. They threw one ball and then threw another a few secs after that which means one goes through and one hits the rack. No big deal, it happens...so one of the balls is sitting in the middle of the lane a little off to the right and so I have to go down and get it. It was a little below the over hang so I had to get on my stomach and kind of crawl a little bit to nab the ball as I get my hands on it I see another ball whiz past me missing me by a few inches. I was like WTF? I am generally a pretty easy going guy esp while working but I lost it. I was facing away from him....defensless (chiefs style) and had no way fo knowing that ball was coming at me. A guy throwing a 15 lb ball as hard as he can? He really could have ****ed me up. I ran down the lane and kind of got in his face basically saying "wtf were you doing. You could have killed me" He looked at me like I was an idiot. After some more yelling he asked me "if I had a problem." I started walking at him and a police officer that is there on weekends came and pulled us apart. Thank god, something bad would have come about from that with me being an employee and all.

Anyway...uhh ya...bowling. Good times. I ****ing hate that guy.

KCWolfman
12-03-2004, 02:17 PM
I have to call bullshit on that. My dad usually doesn't learn someones name till they have been there for like 5 months.. ROFL

But your post reminds me when I was in HS and still working there. It was really late one night during "cosmic bowl" and these guys had been drinking a little bit. They threw one ball and then threw another a few secs after that which means one goes through and one hits the rack. No big deal, it happens...so one of the balls is sitting in the middle of the lane a little off to the right and so I have to go down and get it. It was a little below the over hang so I had to get on my stomach and kind of crawl a little bit to nab the ball as I get my hands on it I see another ball whiz past me missing me by a few inches. I was like WTF? I am generally a pretty easy going guy esp while working but I lost it. I was facing away from him....defensless (chiefs style) and had no way fo knowing that ball was coming at me. A guy throwing a 15 lb ball as hard as he can? He really could have ****ed me up. I ran down the lane and kind of got in his face basically saying "wtf were you doing. You could have killed me" He looked at me like I was an idiot. After some more yelling he asked me "if I had a problem." I started walking at him and a police officer that is there on weekends came and pulled us apart. Thank god, something bad would have come about from that with me being an employee and all.

Anyway...uhh ya...bowling. Good times. I ****ing hate that guy.
That is the most assinine thing I have heard. It was assault plain and simple. At the very least you should have shown the bum the door - at the most.... well the cop was there.

Damn, you literally could kill someone.

|Zach|
12-03-2004, 02:22 PM
That is the most assinine thing I have heard. It was assault plain and simple. At the very least you should have shown the bum the door - at the most.... well the cop was there.

Damn, you literally could kill someone.
No doubt. I was livid. Throwing it is one thing but what made it really scary was the circumstances. I had no way of knowing that ball was coming at me. And my position left me totally defensless. Scary stuff. He got kicked out...I forgot to add that part. The cop asked me if I wanted to press chargers and I said no.

The funny thing was how freaked out the people that I worked with were. They had never seen me get angry. I am generally very well mannered and always joking around. It takes alot to get me angry but when I do cross that line its usually quite a scene. Everyone was weirded out. ROFL

|Zach|
12-03-2004, 02:25 PM
I do believe if something like that happened to me, all involved would be lucky if I didn't grab another ball off the return on my way to the dude.
I have all kinds of stories man. People are nuts when they bowl.

Iowanian
12-03-2004, 02:42 PM
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit,

Bill Braskey would have used that guys balls in the foosball table.

|Zach|
12-03-2004, 02:44 PM
I could imagine... 16 lbs balls... copious amounts of alcohol...

Hell, I'm surprised I don't have a story or two. Granted, I haven't spent as much time in bowling alleys as you.. but, you'd think I'd spent enough to see a thing or two.

Tried to think of a goofy story... all I can remember right now is the time a good looking girl whipped me. Using a Sponge Bob ball. Someone using a Sponge Bob ball ain't supposed to be rolling 250s. That just aint right.
Alot of them have to do with drunks but they are just normal drunk stories. It just so happens they are blowing...

Mostly it is stuff that kids do. Kids get nuts...

One time I was working a Saturday when we do a lot of birthday parties. So there are a lot of kids around. There was a lane with a mom and her 2 kids both boys just doing open bowl. I bet they were both around 6 or 7 both cute as hell. Well the mom stepped away from the lane just for a second to get something to drink at the snackbar. While she was there one of the kids was standing at the line looking down the lane. As he was doing this his brother took a ball and lobbed it like he was bowling except the only problem was his brother was standing there. The ball hits him right in his back and he went flying down the lane about 5 or 6 feet. I am watching this happen and I went out from the front desk and went to help out the kid. Kids are resiliant. He was shocked more so than hurt and crying. The kid who threw the ball ran off knowing he just did something he shouldnt have. When the mom comes back all she sees is that one of her sons is gone and the other one is in the middle of the lane crying and holding my hand as I tried to help him off the slippery lane. She looked at me like "What the hell did you do to my kid?"

I tried to explain what happened and she didnt believe me. She got mad at me and told me the establishment should do more to keep children from being able to go on to the lanes and fall possibly causing injury.

|Zach|
12-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit,

Bill Braskey would have used that guys balls in the foosball table.
I once saw him scissor kick Angela Lansberry.

Iowanian
12-03-2004, 02:50 PM
It sounds like it would have been easy to drive some Pilings on Saturday afternoons.

|Zach|
12-03-2004, 02:53 PM
Like... throwing out parents who leave their children unattended on the lanes?
Yup, Zach would have said that

But when I have the LB shirt on and I want to say something like that I just see my dad in my head telling me that I am right and begging me not to actully say what he thinks I am about to say.

Oh well...the price of doing business...any business. You are always wrong and you are always the stupid one.