PDA

View Full Version : Morton & Kennison having 1000 yd seasons??!!! Tony G having a career year??!!!

Kylo Ren
12-03-2004, 02:50 PM
Morton needs to average 54.6 yds per game to get 1000 yds this season, which is about average for his career. He's on pace for 1057 yds. His average is 14.0 yds per catch, which it's been his entire career. He's on pace for 76 catches, which, once again is about average for his career. He's due for 3 TD's this season, which is also average for his career. It's taken him 3 seasons in KC to do it, but is JM now the WR that we expected when we signed him? What do you make of these numbers? What do you think is JM's future in KC? Isn't 1000 yds the benchmark for a good WR season? If so, isn't Morton having a good season? Etc., etc., etc. ............. Discuss.
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1223

Here are Kennison's numbers. All of his numbers are right on average, or in some cases above average compared to his career. I ask the exact same questions in regards to EK. Kennison needs 77 yds per game to get to 1000 yds this season. That is unlikely because his average this season is 56 yds per game. He's on pace for: 897 yds, 51 catches, 4 TDs, 17.6 yds per catch (best of his career). All of these are average for his career. Morton's career has been a little more consistant. Where as Kennison's career has been up and down from season to season.
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1296

Aren't we getting, this season, exactly what we paid for? I'm neither for nor against JM or EK, I'm just asking the questions. Should we be so critical of these guys? I don't know. FYI -- EK is 31 years old and JM is 33 years old.

=============

Just for fun, I ran the numbers on Tony Gonzalez. He's on pace for a career year. I had no idea he was having a career year!! Did you know TG has missed only ONE game ('99) in 8 seasons / 122 games??
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12400

On pace for:
1219 yard (best of his career)
13.1 yd average (bohc)
93 catches (bohc)
19 rec for 20+ yds (bohc)
7 TDs

========================

So, do we need to draft a WR in the 1st round or pick a big time WR in free agency? Or are we OK for one more season with JM, EK and TG, while we focus on defense?

alpha_omega
12-03-2004, 02:54 PM
Interesting...wishin we were 9-2

|Zach|
12-03-2004, 02:59 PM
I would have no problem having JM back on this team....I am done with Kennison though. The downfield fumbles and the drops are not good enough anymore.

Mr. Laz
12-03-2004, 03:00 PM
i've said it time and time again...

EK and JM are solid wide receivers and aren't not THE problem

could we use a True #1 type guy? ..... yes

Johnny morton is not paid like #1 type guy either imo

even the best wide receivers drop passes

our problem is defense and a general lack of focus and intensity

our coaching staff isn't exactly stellar either consider our seeming lack of preparation for some things.

beer bacon
12-03-2004, 03:03 PM
And yet our season is in the shitter because of horrible defense and unclutch offense.

Kylo Ren
12-03-2004, 03:05 PM
I would have no problem having JM back on this team....I am done with Kennison though. The downfield fumbles and the drops are not good enough anymore. They've both had a game changing downfield fumble and a few drops IMHO.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-03-2004, 03:11 PM
The numbers are good, but what the stats don't say is how they do in pressure situations. When the game is in its most critical period they are inconsistent. Heck, that's the Chiefs organization for 30+ years -- inconsistent.

We have to upgrade both WRs. Realistically, we're only looking at one, possibly.

jiveturkey
12-03-2004, 03:14 PM
Not throwing 6 passes to Priest every game should have this effect.

This might also explain the decrease in Trent's rating. Less safe passes to Priest.

Just a theroy. :hmmm:

Kylo Ren
12-03-2004, 03:16 PM

This might also explain the decrease in Trent's rating. Less safe passes to Priest.

Just a theroy. :hmmm: Good point. Overall, taking the good with the bad, do you think this is better? Less passes to Priest, but more passes to the WR is good or bad in your opinion?

the Talking Can
12-03-2004, 03:22 PM
go watch Morton against New Orleans and tell me we don't need a WR who isn't a choking dumbass...

Kylo Ren
12-03-2004, 03:24 PM
go watch Morton against New Orleans and tell me we don't need a WR who isn't a choking dumbass... Could you please clarify? I'm not sure I get what you're saying. :)

Mr. Laz
12-03-2004, 03:25 PM
The numbers are good, but what the stats don't say is how they do in pressure situations.
ok...

Morton is 3rd in the league in 3rd down receptions resulting in 1st downs

the Talking Can
12-03-2004, 03:26 PM
Could you please clarify? I'm not sure I get what you're saying. :)

count the # of stupid plays made by Morton in that game....dropped balls, running short of the 1st down marker (something he does a lot), costing us a FG attempt at half time etc....brutal

Kylo Ren
12-03-2004, 03:28 PM
count the # of stupid plays made by Morton in that game....dropped balls, running short of the 1st down marker (something he does a lot), costing us a FG attempt at half time etc....brutal I was just kidding. :thumb:

Kylo Ren
12-03-2004, 03:29 PM
ok...

Morton is 3rd in the league in 3rd down receptions resulting in 1st downs I was amazed to see that on ESPN last week. That is the sign of a clutch player, isn't it? Maybe he's clutch in certain ways and chokes in certain ways? :hmmm:

Chiefs Pantalones
12-03-2004, 03:30 PM
ok...

Morton is 3rd in the league in 3rd down receptions resulting in 1st downs

How did he do in big games this year?

Stats lie sometimes, dude. The MNF game against New England...he stunk...the game last week...no show.

No matter what, both these guys, Kennison and Morton, are too inconsistent. They've proven it time and time again. This offense would be so much better if we get rid of them. And they're just going to keep declining and get more inconsistent anyway. They're old.

Kclee
12-03-2004, 03:30 PM
EK and JM are solid wide receivers and aren't not THE problem.

So are you saying they are the problem now? Make up your mind. :)

beer bacon
12-03-2004, 03:33 PM
I was amazed to see that on ESPN last week. That is the sign of a clutch player, isn't it? Maybe he's clutch in certain ways and chokes in certain ways? :hmmm:

The last few games he has not been so much, but for most of the season he has been very clutch. He has made lots of very tough catches and held onto the ball over the middle even when he gets hit very hard. He has made lots of plays this year I would not have believed he could have made after last year.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-03-2004, 03:34 PM
Our offense won't do so well in the playoffs with WRs such as these (see: Colts January 04). Your weaknesses are exposed completely in the playoffs because of the competition, and they showed just that last year vs. the Colts. Drops by the WRs, bad kicking game, bad defense, etc. The offense, IMO, is kind of overrated and is not a Super Bowl offense with these WRs, unless we get a pretty dang good defense to help even things out.

Kylo Ren
12-03-2004, 03:34 PM
How did he do in big games this year?

Stats lie sometimes, dude. The MNF game against New England...he stunk...the game last week...no show.

No matter what, both these guys, Kennison and Morton, are too inconsistent. They've proven it time and time again. This offense would be so much better if we get rid of them. And they're just going to keep declining and get more inconsistent anyway. They're old. But can we afford to replace both of them when we need defense so badly? Are they really THAT bad? What if they were kept, but bumped down to #2 and #3 WR? That's what I would advocate. I'd like to see Boerigter move to #1 (I know that's dreaming) or see us draft or sign in free agency and true stud #1 WR. I think they're both good #2 WR IMHO. If we threw in a #1 WR, then Kennison, Morton, Boerigter, Gonzalez and Wilson, we'd have one heck of a kick ass WR / TE corps!! Don't you agree? I don't think that Morton's or Kennison's contracts are breaking the bank. Are they?

Chiefs Pantalones
12-03-2004, 03:37 PM
The last few games he has not been so much, but for most of the season he has been very clutch. He has made lots of very tough catches and held onto the ball over the middle even when he gets hit very hard. He has made lots of plays this year I would not have believed he could have made after last year.

One word, five syllables...

inconsistency

Mr. Laz
12-03-2004, 03:37 PM
I was amazed to see that on ESPN last week. That is the sign of a clutch player, isn't it? Maybe he's clutch in certain ways and chokes in certain ways? :hmmm:

or maybe like holmes' fumble-istis,Green's int's,oline sacks ... the offense is so hyped about knowing that the defense sucks that they are trying too hard.

not to mention the mistakes made by the entire team because of a "complete team" lack of focus ... which points to bad coaching IMO.

Mr. Laz
12-03-2004, 03:38 PM
So are you saying they are the problem now? Make up your mind

hehe ROFL

Kylo Ren
12-03-2004, 03:39 PM
or maybe like holmes' fumble-istis,Green's int's,oline sacks ... the offense is so hyped about knowing that the defense sucks that they are trying too hard.

not to mention the mistakes made by the entire team because of a "complete team" lack of focus ... which points to bad coaching IMO. I do believe that Trent Green is taking sacks and throwing INT's because he's trying to "do it all himself" because he knows the D sucks. I agree with that totally.

Hydrae
12-03-2004, 03:40 PM
How is a #1 WR defined? What is the difference (other than where they line up) between a #1 and #2 WR?

If we are looking at size, Bo can be the man. If we are talking speed, perhaps Parker is the answer. If it route running, why not Richard Smith? Hands, has to be Wilson from what we have heard.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-03-2004, 03:40 PM
But can we afford to replace both of them when we need defense so badly? Are they really THAT bad? What if they were kept, but bumped down to #2 and #3 WR? That's what I would advocate. I'd like to see Boerigter move to #1 (I know that's dreaming) or see us draft or sign in free agency and true stud #1 WR. I think they're both good #2 WR IMHO. If we threw in a #1 WR, then Kennison, Morton, Boerigter, Gonzalez and Wilson, we'd have one heck of a kick ass WR / TE corps!! Don't you agree? I don't think that Morton's or Kennison's contracts are breaking the bank. Are they?

Realistically, we could only replace one.

Defense is where it is at, though. Major improvements need to be made there, both in personnel and in coaching. Gunther needs to get his own defensive staff because I kind of think (by watching the games) that not all the D coaches see eye to eye on things. I can tell by watching the games and seeing some things that the D does that reminds me of when they were under Greg Robinson.

Kylo Ren
12-03-2004, 03:41 PM
How is a #1 WR defined? What is the difference (other than where they line up) between a #1 and #2 WR?

If we are looking at size, Bo can be the man. If we are talking speed, perhaps Parker is the answer. If it route running, why not Richard Smith? Hands, has to be Wilson from what we have heard. So you are saying we should employ the WRBC method? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Kylo Ren
12-03-2004, 03:43 PM

If we are looking at size, Bo can be the man. If we are talking speed, perhaps Parker is the answer. If it route running, why not Richard Smith? Hands, has to be Wilson from what we have heard. Richard Smith and Parker aren't the answer. Boe could be, but we can't count on it. It doesn't matter where he lines up, a #1 WR is a top notch, go to, stud, clutch, TD machine WR like: Rice, Moss, Owens, Harrison, etc.

Hydrae
12-03-2004, 03:43 PM
So you are saying we should employ the WRBC method? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Oh heavens no!

I am just saying that depending on what the qualifications are for a #1 WR, we may well have them on the roster already. After all, the consensus seems to be that JM and EK are not #1 material.

Hydrae
12-03-2004, 03:44 PM
Richard Smith and Parker aren't the answer. Boe could be, but we can't count on it. It doesn't matter where he lines up, a #1 WR is a top notch, go to, stud, clutch, TD machine WR like: Rice, Moss, Owens, Harrison, etc.

So who is the #1 WR for the Patriots? :shrug:

Chiefs Pantalones
12-03-2004, 03:46 PM

If we are looking at size, Bo can be the man. If we are talking speed, perhaps Parker is the answer. If it route running, why not Richard Smith? Hands, has to be Wilson from what we have heard.

You don't have to be a burner to be a pretty good WR. Look at Anquan Boldin. Dude runs a 4.6 in the 40, has great hands, and did pretty well last year. He runs a 4.6, but no one caught him much. He was injured much of this year and is starting to come back on again.

MichaelH

So if we put Bo's body on Parker's legs and put Wilson's hands on Bo's arms and somehow put Smith's route running ability in somewhere we'd have the ideal WR. :hmmm:

Kylo Ren
So who is the #1 WR for the Patriots? :shrug: Very good point. However, I think the Pats are an anomoly.

Hydrae
12-03-2004, 03:48 PM
So if we put Bo's body on Parker's legs and put Wilson's hands on Bo's arms and somehow put Smith's route running ability in somewhere we'd have the ideal WR. :hmmm:

:hmmm: Now we know what to do with the $6 million left of the cap money!

Chiefs Pantalones
12-03-2004, 03:49 PM
So who is the #1 WR for the Patriots? :shrug:

The only way we keep JM and EK is if we get a pretty good defense like the Pats have. That's how you can get by with the WRs the Pats have. Most importantly, they have a TEAM. They are good overall. We are inconsistent overall.

ck_IN
12-03-2004, 03:54 PM
Wow, those aren't bad numbers. I had no idea those three were putting up those kinds of numbers.

I would think that should mute some of the knocks these guys get but its also amazing how quietly they've put up those stats.

Brock
12-03-2004, 03:56 PM
That QB from Indiana ain't that bad after all, I guess.

Kylo Ren
12-03-2004, 03:59 PM
Wow, those aren't bad numbers. I had no idea those three were putting up those kinds of numbers.

I would think that should mute some of the knocks these guys get but its also amazing how quietly they've put up those stats. Exactly !

ck_IN
12-03-2004, 04:06 PM
<i>That QB from Indiana ain't that bad after all, I guess.</i>

As I've said several times Brock, Green is a better QB then I initially gave him credit for. I don't think he's a top tier QB by any means but I'd rate him a solid 2nd tier QB. The potatoes of this offense is still Holmes and Green just adds gravy.

KingPriest2
12-03-2004, 04:19 PM

Actually that theory is incorrect. Green is having the best season of his career. He is throwing 66.4 percent by far his best by 3 percent. His rating is higher then the last two years. His YPA is 8.2 his best of his career as a full time starter. He is on pace to throw more then 4400 yards. His best of his career.

But he is being sacked more this year. Also they are not throwing the screens as much. That was our bread and butter. This is one reason why our offense has choked when needed. Priest is getting only 2 catches a game. But the last 4 games he played he was getting between 3 and 4. Our record 2 and 2 the last game being Tampa. If he was in that game more then likely we would have won.

The they that is hurting Trent is not having Priest he is prone to throw more INTs like in 2001.

Think about it.

Calcountry
12-03-2004, 04:22 PM

Great sure handed Tight End, 6 million dollars.

o.k. WR's 3 million dollars

Better than average quarterback 5 million dollars.

Having a healthy running back capable of instilling fear in the opposing defense on a play action pass: PRICELESS

Wile_E_Coyote
12-03-2004, 04:45 PM
I don't go to the games, but I thought Trents INTs & sacks were up because our WRs are not getting open often enough & Gonzo is getting double & triple coverage

shaneo69
12-03-2004, 04:51 PM
Those guys have put up good numbers, but each of their fumbles have cost us a game. You'd really like a WR who gets 8-10 TD's also. These guys aren't what you'd call red zone threats.

andoman
12-03-2004, 05:14 PM
So if we put Bo's body on Parker's legs and put Wilson's hands on Bo's arms and somehow put Smith's route running ability in somewhere we'd have the ideal WR.

Now we know what to do with the $6 million left of the cap money!

We can rebuild him...

patteeu
12-03-2004, 05:37 PM
We need an upgrade at WR even if we keep both of these guys and let one of them become our 3rd, IMO.

Alphaman
12-03-2004, 06:12 PM
They are both having decent seasons. However, age is and has caught up to them. Too many injuries, too many dropped passes and too many fumbles. They won't be better than this next year and I don't think they'll duplicate it. They should both be replaced. We should make a serious run at Jerry Porter as well as a 2nd WR.

Sure-Oz
12-03-2004, 07:20 PM
Kennisons fast but has no hands half the time, I'd probably rather keep morton as a #2, he'd probably do alot better with a true #1 on the other side.

Hammock Parties
12-04-2004, 12:28 AM
Our wide receivers are fine.

We need a defense.

alanm
12-04-2004, 12:52 AM
Kennison is nowhere near as fast as he used to be. He's not the deep threat that he had been. I wish DV would throw Parker out into the fray to see what he can do. Parker has 4.3 speed and he's standing on the sidelines. :banghead: And come to think of it Morton has been having a pretty good year as the #2. He's really made some great catches. He really doesn't deserve the shit he's been catching this year. And then there's Hall. Outside of one KR for the TD last week he hasn't done squat as the Z receiver. Does he even have a catch and run longer than 22-25 yrds? I can't recall any.:shake:

alanm
12-04-2004, 01:14 AM

If we are looking at size, Bo can be the man. If we are talking speed, perhaps Parker is the answer. If it route running, why not Richard Smith? Hands, has to be Wilson from what we have heard.I thought Chris Horn was supposed to have the best hands. That and he runs routes as well as Smith. But Smith is having trouble learning his plays and that's what has been holding him back. Wilson is out. And if their smart they should just IR him for the year. I didn't really expect him to play after breaking his leg. Because you know he's going to favor it until he has a few more months of healing time. Parker with his 4.2/4.3 speed stands on the sidelines watching the game. And Horn gets to make tackles on special teams. I kinda wish that DV would pull a Martyesque type of deal with the WR's. A WRBC(Wide Receiver by Committee) :D

alanm
12-04-2004, 01:21 AM
So if we put Bo's body on Parker's legs and put Wilson's hands on Bo's arms and somehow put Smith's route running ability in somewhere we'd have the ideal WR. :hmmm:You know who that describes? McCardell. Kinda wish we would have made a play for him.:(

craneref
12-04-2004, 01:23 AM
Morton and Kennison are both having good years, but I can't help but think how nice it would be to have someone take a short over the middle pass, blaze to the sidelines and get into the endzone, like I don't know, Brandon Stokely, doesn't that guy do that at least once a week. I can not remember the last time that we threw a crossing pattern to Hall and let him make things happen (of course I do not get to see all the games). What else can you say, Tony is AWESOME, and when you add in that he is held and interferred with on nearly every play (New England comes to mind, twice on one play) it even adds to his mystique. I swear he never gets a call, unless it is against him for a bogus offensive pass interference. I know a lot of people here want to draft "D" but I would hate to think that we might pass up another Randy Moss. Not lobbying for a WR, just making a comment. GO CHIEFS.

Hammock Parties
12-04-2004, 01:48 AM
Kennison is nowhere near as fast as he used to be. He's not the deep threat that he had been.

Sorry, that's BS. Kennison is averaging more yards per catch right now that at any other time during his KC Chief career.

He would be a stone cold lock to get 1,000 yards if he hadn't missed 2 3/4 games.

Next year I'm going to make the bastard my Adopt-A-Chief. Hey, adopting Morton turned him into the WR we thought he was supposed to be. :)

alanm
12-04-2004, 01:52 AM
Morton and Kennison are both having good years, but I can't help but think how nice it would be to have someone take a short over the middle pass, blaze to the sidelines and get into the endzone, like I don't know, Brandon Stokely, doesn't that guy do that at least once a week. I can not remember the last time that we threw a crossing pattern to Hall and let him make things happen (of course I do not get to see all the games). What else can you say, Tony is AWESOME, and when you add in that he is held and interferred with on nearly every play (New England comes to mind, twice on one play) it even adds to his mystique. I swear he never gets a call, unless it is against him for a bogus offensive pass interference. I know a lot of people here want to draft "D" but I would hate to think that we might pass up another Randy Moss. Not lobbying for a WR, just making a comment. GO CHIEFS.See... That's just it. When was the last time they sent Hall on a slant. Or to sneak down the sidelines with Green arching a touch pass hitting Hall in stride and he takes off from there. I think Saunders and Vermeil are reluctant to let Hall cross over into the middle of the field after he got laid out the 1st game at Denver. They can't afford to be afraid to use him. He's a playmaker!! You got to get him the ball out in space. When you start limiting plays you run because of the possibility of a player getting hurt is the time to find a new OC. That is, if that's the case. All you ever see Hall catch anymore is the short hitches and curls and those damn quick outs to him on the LOS which never gain more than 6-7 yrds. Hell they ought to have him following in behind Gonzalez and waiting for the ball in the area Tony and his usual 3 shadows vacate. They just haven't been getting Dante the ball in space where he can hurt teams.

patteeu
12-04-2004, 08:42 AM
You know who that describes? McCardell. Kinda wish we would have made a play for him.:(

Our already old WR corps doesn't need a boost from an even older vet. It needs to be improved by getting younger IMO.

patteeu
12-04-2004, 08:51 AM
See... That's just it. When was the last time they sent Hall on a slant. Or to sneak down the sidelines with Green arching a touch pass hitting Hall in stride and he takes off from there. I think Saunders and Vermeil are reluctant to let Hall cross over into the middle of the field after he got laid out the 1st game at Denver. They can't afford to be afraid to use him. He's a playmaker!! You got to get him the ball out in space. When you start limiting plays you run because of the possibility of a player getting hurt is the time to find a new OC. That is, if that's the case. All you ever see Hall catch anymore is the short hitches and curls and those damn quick outs to him on the LOS which never gain more than 6-7 yrds. Hell they ought to have him following in behind Gonzalez and waiting for the ball in the area Tony and his usual 3 shadows vacate. They just haven't been getting Dante the ball in space where he can hurt teams.

As much as I like Trent Green, I don't think he can throw those passes. He does alright throwing to Tony G when the big guy is running some kind of fly pattern, but that's because Tony G is a huge target who get's even bigger by virtue of his ability to leap when the throw is off target. He's also hit Kennison a couple of times this year, but with one exception that I can think of, Kennison has been wide open and the receptions haven't been what I would call "in stride." When they are overthrown, Kennison doesn't usually make the catch like Tony G does. Kennison makes most of his fly-pattern catches on the underthrown passes (which become dangerous if there's a defender in the area). At least that's the way I remember the season.

Hammock Parties
12-04-2004, 10:07 AM
As much as I like Trent Green, I don't think he can throw those passes. He does alright throwing to Tony G when the big guy is running some kind of fly pattern, but that's because Tony G is a huge target who get's even bigger by virtue of his ability to leap when the throw is off target. He's also hit Kennison a couple of times this year, but with one exception that I can think of, Kennison has been wide open and the receptions haven't been what I would call "in stride." When they are overthrown, Kennison doesn't usually make the catch like Tony G does. Kennison makes most of his fly-pattern catches on the underthrown passes (which become dangerous if there's a defender in the area). At least that's the way I remember the season.

Green can definitely throw those passes. He did it all the time in St. Louis.

Dante Hall just isn't big enough to get open downfield. Once in a while it will happen.

the Talking Can
12-04-2004, 10:13 AM
Green can't throw a touch pass?

uh....he drops passes into double coverage all the time...sometimes he is too cavalier about it, resulting in several "should have been" ints....

Hammock Parties
12-04-2004, 10:27 AM
Exhibit A:

http://img121.exs.cx/img121/4633/DanteHall-38YDCatch.gif

Kylo Ren
12-05-2004, 06:33 PM
bumpity

Alphaman
12-05-2004, 06:40 PM
Morton was invisible today. Kennison had a big drop. I give him props for his 149 yrds and TD, but he needs to be an EX-Chief next year.

Kylo Ren
12-05-2004, 06:48 PM
Morton was invisible today. Kennison had a big drop. I give him props for his 149 yrds and TD, but he needs to be an EX-Chief next year. I still say that we don't get rid of either of them. I say we bump them down to #2 and #3 WR and sign or draft a true, stud #1 WR. Then throw in Boerigter and Hall. I'd say Hall should be the #5 WR. He should be situational only. That would be a good WR corps, especially if you throw in Gonzalez, Wilson and Dunn.

Hammock Parties
12-05-2004, 06:51 PM
Our wide receivers are fine.

WE NEED A DEFENSE

Money spent on a #1 WR would be money BETTER SPENT on defense.

WE HAVE A TOP FIVE OFFENSE IN ALMOST EVERY CATEGORY. WE DO NOT NEED NEW WIDE RECEIVERS.

RealSNR
12-05-2004, 06:52 PM
I want DEFENSE in the draft.

We have a chance to get another Derrick Thomas. Let's not waste it.

Alphaman
12-05-2004, 06:59 PM
I still say that we don't get rid of either of them. I say we bump them down to #2 and #3 WR and sign or draft a true, stud #1 WR. Then throw in Boerigter and Hall. I'd say Hall should be the #5 WR. He should be situational only. That would be a good WR corps, especially if you throw in Gonzalez, Wilson and Dunn.

Those two guys are old and getting older. We've seen it this year...too many injuries, too many drops, too many fumbles.

Most of our offseason should be spent on defense, but you cannot ignore the offense. We must get a WR in FA (Jerry Porter is my choice). We must also draft a RB somewhere between the 3rd and 5th round. Blaylock won't be back and we'll need a 3rd guy.

Kylo Ren
12-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Those two guys are old and getting older. We've seen it this year...too many injuries, too many drops, too many fumbles.

Most of our offseason should be spent on defense, but you cannot ignore the offense. We must get a WR in FA (Jerry Porter is my choice). We must also draft a RB somewhere between the 3rd and 5th round. Blaylock won't be back and we'll need a 3rd guy. I agree about the WR, but we NEED to sign Blaylock.

KingPriest2
12-05-2004, 07:30 PM

Most of our offseason should be spent on defense, but you cannot ignore the offense. We must get a WR in FA (Jerry Porter is my choice). We must also draft a RB somewhere between the 3rd and 5th round. Blaylock won't be back and we'll need a 3rd guy.

Too many injuries? Kennison only had a pulled hamstring. Morton was only hurt in training camp. Too many drops? well I don't have the numbers on this. Too many fumbles? What? are you thinking they have fumbled 6 times this season. Well Kennison has only fumbled once and lost it. Morton has fumbled twice and lost one. Your choice in Porter has lost more fumbles then Morton and Kennison. Bruce has fumbled 3 times and lost all of them. Jevon Walker has fumbled twice and lost both.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-05-2004, 07:45 PM
Nice game today by the WRs, but still, they are too inconsistent. Not one of the WRs catches today were against shut down CB Charles Woodson. I'm not impressed, but they had a nice game today.

We need to upgrade.

Kylo Ren
12-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Too many injuries? Kennison only had a pulled hamstring. Morton was only hurt in training camp. Too many drops? well I don't have the numbers on this. Too many fumbles? What? are you thinking they have fumbled 6 times this season. Well Kennison has only fumbled once and lost it. Morton has fumbled twice and lost one. Your choice in Porter has lost more fumbles then Morton and Kennison. Bruce has fumbled 3 times and lost all of them. Jevon Walker has fumbled twice and lost both. I think that many on this BB are way to critical of our current WRs. I think they are "serviceable". I admit that they are #2's and neither is a #1 WR. We need a true #1 WR, but keep Kennison and Morton. If we did that, we'd have a killer WR corps.

Alphaman
12-05-2004, 08:29 PM
Too many injuries? Kennison only had a pulled hamstring. Morton was only hurt in training camp. Too many drops? well I don't have the numbers on this. Too many fumbles? What? are you thinking they have fumbled 6 times this season. Well Kennison has only fumbled once and lost it. Morton has fumbled twice and lost one. Your choice in Porter has lost more fumbles then Morton and Kennison. Bruce has fumbled 3 times and lost all of them. Jevon Walker has fumbled twice and lost both.

Do you think it is a coincidence that these guys are getting older and getting injured earlier. I think their age is a contributing factor to being injured in camp, especially at the WR position where there are cuts and sprints...the other position would be CB.

Yes...they both have had a large number of drops this year.

1 Kennison had a big fumble against Minnesota last year and the fumble he had this year was a break out run where he got caught from behind. Kennison would have never gotten caught from behind 3 years ago. Age is catching up to him my friend.

It's not the fumbles by themselves, but combined with the age, the injuries and the drops.

Give me Porter and his potential for exploding in this offense and I'll deal with his fumbles. Kennison and Morton just don't exploit the single coverage they get (because of Gonzo and the running game) to warrant dealing with their age, drops, fumbles and injuries. Porter is younger, bigger, stronger, faster and more explosive.

Alphaman
12-05-2004, 08:33 PM
I think that many on this BB are way to critical of our current WRs. I think they are "serviceable". I admit that they are #2's and neither is a #1 WR. We need a true #1 WR, but keep Kennison and Morton. If we did that, we'd have a killer WR corps.

Serviceable means that aren't exploiting the single coverage they always get. It also means that they aren't going to improve next year. If they aren't going to improve, it likely means they'll decline. A declining serviceable player needs to be replaced.

patteeu
12-06-2004, 07:57 AM
Green can definitely throw those passes. He did it all the time in St. Louis.

Dante Hall just isn't big enough to get open downfield. Once in a while it will happen.

Green only started a handful of games in St. Louis so I'm not sure how he could have done it "all the time" there, but I didn't watch many (any?) of those games so I won't argue with you about his performance as a Ram.

But since he's been a Chief, he does NOT throw good deep passes, hitting receivers in stride, very often. Most of his deep passes are either significantly underthrown or overthrown and quite a few of them have been picked off. He's much better at the deeper curl patterns where he throws to a spot and the reciever comes back to them.

I'm not bagging on Trent, I'm a big fan. This just isn't one of his strengths IMO.

patteeu
12-06-2004, 08:00 AM
Green can't throw a touch pass?

uh....he drops passes into double coverage all the time...sometimes he is too cavalier about it, resulting in several "should have been" ints....

I'm not sure what your argument is. I didn't say he can't throw touch passes, I said he can't throw deep, arching touch passes, hitting receivers (in particular small receivers like Dante) in stride. I did point out that Tony Gonzalez's size and acrobatic ability compensate for this to some extent and therefore he makes more "in-stride" catches on long passes.

patteeu
12-06-2004, 08:04 AM
Exhibit A:

Are you switching sides now? Your exhibit A is an example of what I'm talking about. The ball appears to me to be underthrown causing Dante to slow down for it. A perfect pass would have had Dante running under the ball. As far as Green's deep passes are concerned, this is a pretty good one. If this were an example of one of his bad throws instead of one of his better ones, he'd be a great deep ball passer. It's not though.

That's not to say you can't find some film clip of a perfect Trent Green deep pass. I've seen him do it on occasion. But over the long run, he doesn't do it with any regularity. Instead you find more of what you see in your clip, or seriously overthown balls that go incomplete, or, in some cases, underthrown balls that are broken-up/intercepted by the defender.

KingPriest2
12-06-2004, 08:22 AM
Do you think it is a coincidence that these guys are getting older and getting injured earlier. I think their age is a contributing factor to being injured in camp, especially at the WR position where there are cuts and sprints...the other position would be CB.

Yes...they both have had a large number of drops this year.

1 Kennison had a big fumble against Minnesota last year and the fumble he had this year was a break out run where he got caught from behind. Kennison would have never gotten caught from behind 3 years ago. Age is catching up to him my friend.

It's not the fumbles by themselves, but combined with the age, the injuries and the drops.

Give me Porter and his potential for exploding in this offense and I'll deal with his fumbles. Kennison and Morton just don't exploit the single coverage they get (because of Gonzo and the running game) to warrant dealing with their age, drops, fumbles and injuries. Porter is younger, bigger, stronger, faster and more explosive.

I do agree they are getting older and that we do need a true no. 1

but these two are not really injured. So you really can't use the unjury factor. They don't fumble much, so you really can't use that.

You mentioned Kennisons fumble against Minnesota last year wel the refs made a bonehead call. It was not actually a fumble but the refs made the wrong call. It was still our ball.

Green completed a 32-yard pass to Eddie Kennison, who had the ball punched out along the sideline by Brian Williams. Brian Russell, who had both interceptions, recovered at the Vikings'A challenge by Vermeil that Kennison stepped out of bounds before the fumble was overturned, but replays showed Vermeil challenged the wrong thing. Referee Ron Blum admitted a mistake after the game, since Williams came from out of bounds and illegally touched the ball.

But as I said they are both no 2 WRs but not a no. 1 but they are doing their jobs but they need to be more consistent

Kylo Ren
12-14-2004, 09:32 AM
Updated stats:

Tony Gonzalez --
2004 -- 74 rec, 946 yds, 12.8 ypc, 5 TD, (14) 20+ yd rec.
Projected -- 91 rec, 1164 yds, 12.8 ypc, 6 TD, (17) 20+ yd rec.
Career best -- 93 rec, 1203 yds, 12.9 ypc, 11 TD, (16) 20+ yd rec.

Eddie Kennison -- (missed 2 games)
2004 -- 45 rec, 833 yds, 18.5 ypc, 6 TD, (15) 20+ yd rec.
Projected -- 57 rec, 1060 yds, 18.5 ypc, 8 TD, (19) 20+ yd rec.
16 games -- 65 rec, 1455 yds, 18.5 ypc, 9 TD, (22) 20+ yd rec.
Career best -- 61 rec, 914 yds, 18.5 ypc, 9 TD, (16) 20+ yd rec.

Johnnie Morton --
2004 -- 55 rec, 795 yds, 14.5 ypc, 3 TD, (10) 20+ yd rec.
Projected -- 68 rec, 978 yds, 14.5 ypc, 4 TD, (12) 20+ yd rec.
Career best -- 80 rec, 1154 yds, 15.0 ypc, 8 TD, (15) 20+ yd rec.

Kennison and Morton are performing well when compared to the rest of their career. Right? Gonzo is having his second best season. All 3 guys could have a career year if they "turn it on" in the next 3 weeks.

ct
12-14-2004, 09:38 AM
I may be late in on this one, but for your last questions - "So, do we need to draft a WR in the 1st round or pick a big time WR in free agency? Or are we OK for one more season with JM, EK and TG, while we focus on defense?"

I think we have no choice but to focus all $$ and attention on the defense for '05. Now we may have to create additional cap space to do that, and that might lead to EK or JM hitting the street, but who then do we replace them with? We really can't afford to go get another FA to replace them and still SAVE money.

Kylo Ren
12-14-2004, 10:38 AM
Maybe we can get by with JM and EK for one more season, but I'd still like for KC to find a true #1 stud WR.

Hammock Parties
12-14-2004, 10:40 AM
Morton is not playing quite as well as he did in the first 10 games or so.

I think teams are devoting more attention to him. As a result, Gonzalez and Kennison especially have EXPLODED.

BigChiefFan
12-14-2004, 10:45 AM
We definitely need to focus on defense. Morton and Kennison have been solid this year.

BigChiefFan
12-14-2004, 10:48 AM

I think teams are devoting more attention to him. As a result, Gonzalez and Kennison especially have EXPLODED.He did the worm last night- that's a TD!!! Morton may be getting older, but he's still servicable. That being said, I think he's the odd man out, if we have to get rid of an offensive player for salary purposes.

morphius
12-14-2004, 10:49 AM
Updated stats:

Tony Gonzalez --
2004 -- 74 rec, 946 yds, 12.8 ypc, 5 TD, (14) 20+ yd rec.
Projected -- 91 rec, 1164 yds, 12.8 ypc, 6 TD, (17) 20+ yd rec.

2004 -- 45 rec, 833 yds, 18.5 ypc, 6 TD, (15) 20+ yd rec.
Projected -- 57 rec, 1060 yds, 18.5 ypc, 8 TD, (19) 20+ yd rec.
16 games -- 65 rec, 1455 yds, 18.5 ypc, 9 TD, (22) 20+ yd rec.

Johnnie Morton --

Kennison and Morton are performing well when compared to the rest of their career. Right? Gonzo is having his second best season. All 3 guys could have a career year if they "turn it on" in the next 3 weeks.
Just for giggles (WR only)...

TD/Game EK 11th Morton 55th
TD/Yard EK 30th Morton 68th
TD/Rec EK 16th Morton 67th
20+40+TD/Rec EK 6th Morton 72nd

philfree
12-14-2004, 10:53 AM
I remember when the knock on Green was that he couldn't get the ball to his WRs all he could do was dump it to Holmes and let him run with it.

PhilFree :arrow:

Straight, No Chaser
12-14-2004, 10:58 AM
Give me Porter and his potential for exploding in this offense and I'll deal with his fumbles.

Too bad he doesn't fit "the profile". Not sure what happened after bed-check in Atlanta last Friday night but it probably won't help his reputation any. However, the "Art of the Deal" never stopped CP.

--->

Hammock Parties
12-14-2004, 10:58 AM
I remember when the knock on Green was that he couldn't get the ball to his WRs all he could do was dump it to Holmes and let him run with it.

That's because our receivers sucked. ROFL

But yes, I do remember that.

KCJohnny
12-14-2004, 11:14 AM
Won't Boerigter be back next year?

Kylo Ren
12-14-2004, 12:17 PM
We definitely need to focus on defense. Morton and Kennison have been solid this year. Then why do "we" (we = the majority on this BB) complain about them so much? :hmmm:

Kylo Ren
12-14-2004, 12:21 PM
Just for giggles (WR only)...

TD/Game EK 11th Morton 55th
TD/Yard EK 30th Morton 68th
TD/Rec EK 16th Morton 67th
20+40+TD/Rec EK 6th Morton 72nd Respectfully.......those stats are almost worthless.

|Zach|
12-14-2004, 12:23 PM
Respectfully.......those stats are almost worthless.
Thats prob why he put "just for giggles" :hmmm:

Kylo Ren
12-14-2004, 12:25 PM
Won't Boerigter be back next year? YES!! On one hand, he could be a big factor in next year's WR corps. But on the other hand, he may not be a factor at all. He's a crapshoot. I guess we can cross our fingers and hope for the best.

Next season:

Boerigter
Kennison
Morton
Parker
Hall

Or even better:
#1 stud WR (draft or FA)
Boerigter
Kennison
Morton
Parker
Hall - situational only

In either scenerio, I don't see Horn making the team.

Kylo Ren
12-14-2004, 12:26 PM
Thats prob why he put "just for giggles" :hmmm: I stand corrected. :wayne:

patteeu
12-14-2004, 03:54 PM

I've been making something similar to that argument in this thread. My argument isn't that he can't get the ball to his WRs in general, it's that he doesn't throw a good deep touch pass that allows his WRs to catch the ball without breaking their stride.

I think teams are devoting more attention to him. As a result, Gonzalez and Kennison especially have EXPLODED.

Did you notice that on the majority of Trent Green's long throws to his WR's last night, he underthrew them. On Kennison's first long TD, EK had to slow down to catch the ball which wasn't a problem on that play because there wasn't a Titan within shouting distance.

He did the same thing on his long interception and again when he threw the long TD to Morton.

Compare these passes with those of Billy Volek last night. Volek was on fire and he kept dropping his passes right in the outstretched arms of his receivers.

Like I said before, I'm a big Trent Green fan, but he has trouble with those passes.

morphius
12-14-2004, 03:55 PM
Respectfully.......those stats are almost worthless.
Most stats are worthless...

el borracho
12-14-2004, 04:03 PM
What does Morton do that Horn can't?

Hammock Parties
12-14-2004, 04:07 PM
I've been making something similar to that argument in this thread. My argument isn't that he can't get the ball to his WRs in general, it's that he doesn't throw a good deep touch pass that allows his WRs to catch the ball without breaking their stride.

Did you notice that on the majority of Trent Green's long throws to his WR's last night, he underthrew them. On Kennison's first long TD, EK had to slow down to catch the ball which wasn't a problem on that play because there wasn't a Titan within shouting distance.

He did the same thing on his long interception and again when he threw the long TD to Morton.

Compare these passes with those of Billy Volek last night. Volek was on fire and he kept dropping his passes right in the outstretched arms of his receivers.

Like I said before, I'm a big Trent Green fan, but he has trouble with those passes.

You're absolutely right. Green's deep ball is average at best. He's still damn good despite it.

Hammock Parties
12-14-2004, 04:08 PM
What does Morton do that Horn can't?

Get open, evidently. Horn hasn't done squat since the Baltimore game.

There's the worm, too.

el borracho
12-14-2004, 04:16 PM
I don't think Horn has been in for many plays as many plays as Morton. Has he? Anyway, I don't think Morton is great at creating seperation nor is Morton a burner. And Morton has suspect hands. I would be seriously interested in seeing Horn in on more plays for the remainder of this season to see what he can do. If it were up to me, Horn would be the #3 and Hall #4 from here on out.

Hammock Parties
12-14-2004, 04:27 PM
I don't think Horn has been in for many plays as many plays as Morton. Has he? Anyway, I don't think Morton is great at creating seperation nor is Morton a burner. And Morton has suspect hands. I would be seriously interested in seeing Horn in on more plays for the remainder of this season to see what he can do. If it were up to me, Horn would be the #3 and Hall #4 from here on out.

Horn doesn't get open. Or at least Morton does more. And Morton's hands have been terrific this year.

KCJohnny
12-14-2004, 05:58 PM
I think Horn could easily do what Morton does. I think Horn has better hands, too. Sooner or later, Johnny will hang up the cleats. He's 33 and he's NOT Jerry Rice. Horn and Boerigter +a high pick (God help me, I mentioned drafting an offensive player) could cover nicely with Priest healthy and Tony Gonzales getting 90 balls a year. JMO.

Hammock Parties
12-14-2004, 06:02 PM
I think Horn could easily do what Morton does. I think Horn has better hands, too. Sooner or later, Johnny will hang up the cleats. He's 33 and he's NOT Jerry Rice. Horn and Boerigter +a high pick (God help me, I mentioned drafting an offensive player) could cover nicely with Priest healthy and Tony Gonzales getting 90 balls a year. JMO.

Horn hasn't had as much exposure. He does quite well when called upon, though.

Kylo Ren
12-20-2004, 10:13 AM
Updated stats:

Tony Gonzalez --
2004 -- 77 rec, 990 yds, 12.9 ypc, 5 TD, (15) 20+ yd rec.
Projected -- 88 rec, 1131 yds, 12.9 ypc, 6 TD, (17) 20+ yd rec.

2004 -- 52 rec, 934 yds, 18.0 ypc, 8 TD, (16) 20+ yd rec.
Projected -- 61 rec, 1090 yds, 18.0 ypc, 9 TD, (19) 20+ yd rec.
16 games -- 69 rec, 1333 yds, 18.0 ypc, 11 TD, (21) 20+ yd rec.

Johnnie Morton --

htismaqe
12-20-2004, 11:04 AM

After seeing Parker yesterday, I'm not so sure we can't use all of our draft picks on defense...

:thumb:

Chiefnj
12-20-2004, 11:10 AM
After seeing Parker yesterday, I'm not so sure we can't use all of our draft picks on defense...

:thumb:

I like what I saw from Parker, but if Braylon Edwards is still on the board I'd be happy if the Chiefs drafted him.

Kylo Ren
12-20-2004, 03:33 PM

:thumb: I want to see more from him, but I'm am thinking the same thing.

Hammock Parties
12-20-2004, 03:35 PM
It appears as if my man Morton will have to do really step it up if he wants to break that 1K barries. He is facing some bad defenses though so he has a shot.

Come on, Johnnie!

jiveturkey
12-20-2004, 03:36 PM
Chris Horn has a sprained knee so we might be seeing some more of Parker this weekend.

Kylo Ren
12-20-2004, 03:40 PM
Chris Horn has a sprained knee so we might be seeing some more of Parker this weekend. I don't want to see MORE of him. I want to see ALOT of him!! We need to know what this kid can do. :thumb:

penguinz
12-20-2004, 04:50 PM
It appears as if my man Morton will have to do really step it up if he wants to break that 1K barries. He is facing some bad defenses though so he has a shot.

Come on, Johnnie!SD's D is in the top 10.

Hammock Parties
12-20-2004, 04:58 PM
SD's D is in the top 10.

26th ranked pass D.

Deberg_1990
12-20-2004, 05:41 PM
I don't want to see MORE of him. I want to see ALOT of him!! We need to know what this kid can do. :thumb:

Agreed. We need either him, Horn, Boerighter or perhaps another draft pick to step up and take Mortons job away. Morton has been ok, and I dont come down on him as much as most people on this board but IMO his time has passed. We need one of these young guys to step it up next year.

Kylo Ren
12-26-2004, 07:34 PM
Updated stats: (as of 12/25/04)

Tony Gonzalez --
2004 -- 88 rec, 1114 yds, 12.7 ypc, 7 TD, (16) 20+ yd rec.
Projected -- 94 rec, 1188 yds, 12.7 ypc, 7 TD, (17) 20+ yd rec.

2004 -- 58 rec, 1013 yds, 17.5 ypc, 8 TD, (17) 20+ yd rec.
Projected -- 62 rec, 1091 yds, 17.5 ypc, 9 TD, (18) 20+ yd rec.
16 games -- 71 rec, 1247 yds, 17.5 ypc, 10 TD, (21) 20+ yd rec.

Johnnie Morton -- (missed 2 games)
Projected -- 59 rec, 856 yds, 14.5 ypc, 3 TD, (11) 20+ yd rec.
16 games -- 68 rec, 978 yds, 14.5 ypc, 4 TD, (12) 20+ yd rec.

Kennison and Morton are performing well when compared to the rest of their career. Right? Gonzo is having his second best season.

Hammock Parties
12-26-2004, 07:37 PM
Poor Johnnie.

But, it looks like Parker might be a poor-man's Marvin Harrison next year.

Kylo Ren
12-26-2004, 07:52 PM
Poor Johnnie.

But, it looks like Parker might be a poor-man's Marvin Harrison next year. Well, I don't know about comparing him to MH, but he could become a nice contributor.

2005 WR corps?:
Kennison
Parker
Boerigter
Horn
Hall

Maybe we could let Morton go. He's got at $3.2 mil. cap hit in '05. At minimum, he should be asked to renegotiate his contract.

Ari ümlaüt
12-26-2004, 08:08 PM
i have no expectation of Samie Parker... he is too small. And was injured... he seems to be injury prone... so Samie, prove me wrong, bitch.

Hammock Parties
12-26-2004, 08:36 PM
Well, I don't know about comparing him to MH, but he could become a nice contributor.

2005 WR corps?:
Kennison
Parker
Boerigter
Horn
Hall

Maybe we could let Morton go. He's got at $3.2 mil. cap hit in '05. At minimum, he should be asked to renegotiate his contract.

I think Horn is more than capable of doing what Morton has done all year. He's a tad on the slight side but he's got quicks and good hands. And he's a great blocker for some reason.

Parker I compare to Starvin Marvin because he's got the same kind of build. And he appears to have the same kind of skillset. :)

Kylo Ren
12-26-2004, 11:35 PM
It appears that we Chiefs fans are warming up to Kennison. I hope he can keep it up next year.

Sure-Oz
12-27-2004, 12:17 AM
Morton probably wont be back. I hope we add to our WR corp with a legit threat. Kennison would make a great #2 if we had a legit #1, he would do so much better. He has had a real good season though, esp TD wise.

J Diddy
12-27-2004, 03:20 AM
It appears that we Chiefs fans are warming up to Kennison. I hope he can keep it up next year.

Oddly enough the wife said the same thing to me last night.

Kylo Ren
12-27-2004, 07:48 AM
Morton probably wont be back. I hope we add to our WR corp with a legit threat. Kennison would make a great #2 if we had a legit #1, he would do so much better. He has had a real good season though, esp TD wise. That's what I've been saying for a while. A true #1 WR would make this offense creally rock! But, defense is the priority this off season. The WR will have to wait.