PDA

View Full Version : Gretz' views on Chiefs-Raiders game

shaneo69
12-06-2004, 09:00 AM
GRETZ: The Heart Still Beats
Dec 06, 2004, 7:47:02 AM by Bob Gretz

In a season that’s been so frustrating and maddening for the Chiefs, they had the opportunity on Sunday here in the kingdom of Al Davis to run the white flag up the pole.

They passed on the opportunity. Chiefs 34, Raiders 27.

Dick Vermeil always talks about the character of his football team, and sometimes the results on the field don’t provide evidence of that. It’s one thing to work hard; that’s expected on the professional level. It’s another thing to work smart, and that’s not something the Chiefs have accomplished this season.

But they still have their heart in the season; they showed that Sunday afternoon, coming from behind in the second half and then going out in the fourth quarter and sealing the deal.

It was a game with several story lines featuring players and a coach who overcame a great deal of pain and frustration to be key factors in the victory. What made their efforts all the more remarkable is that they came in a game that was meaningless. Obviously, Trent Green, Gunther Cunningham, Will Shields and Larry Johnson did not agree.

GREEN: There are a lot of players and quarterbacks who would not have been on the field had they suffered through the pain the Chiefs quarterback endured over the last week. On Thursday afternoon, there seemed no possible way that Green would play. His ribs were bruised, his hip ached and his back was very sore. It was painful to watch him walk, let alone consider him running and throwing the football.

On Friday, Green practiced and then on Saturday, he didn’t feel so bad. He stiffened up on the long pane ride to the Bay Area, and woke up Sunday in pain, but it was manageable. He showed he wasn’t the normal Trent Green in the first half, when he completed only nine of 20 throws in the first half. But in the second 30 minutes, he hit 14 of 15 throws; the only one he missed was knocked down. He threw short, he threw long. He scrambled, he took a couple of hits after the throw. Every play was a different level of pain, yet he never gave any sign that it was too much for him.

“Once you start playing, you don’t feel it so much,” Green said afterwards. “It was important to be out there and get this win. We needed it.”

CUNNINGHAM: At half-time, the Chiefs defensive coordinator was nearly out of his mind. The frustration of the season and the poor play of the defense had built up to a crescendo in his head. On top of all that was a first-half performance that was an embarrassment. Kerry Collins threw for 190 yards and a pair of TD passes in just 26 offensive plays. The secondary was beaten for 51 and 34-yard scores.

It was more than Cunningham could handle. At half-time, he exploded like he hasn’t during this entire return to KC season. His words were brutal and frank and can’t be repeated verbatim here. The premise was this: he was tired of the secondary embarrassing the team and the entire franchise.

“I probably should not have done that at half-time, but I couldn’t stand it,” Cunningham said. “We were awful. We sucked and there was no reason for it. We were killing ourselves.”

The Chiefs went out in the second half and probably played their best 30 minutes of defensive football in weeks, maybe months. They allowed only one score and gave up 153 yards of offense. Collins was sacked twice and harassed on nearly every ball he threw. The Chiefs got their hands on several passes and Eric Warfield dropped an interception. The Chiefs were more physical and more assignment sound.

“He challenged the entire group,” said Eric Hicks. Added LB Kawika Mitchell: “We had to answer his call. There was nowhere else for us to go.”

SHIELDS: With two minutes, 55 seconds to play in the second quarter, the Chiefs veteran right guard sprained his left ankle and hobbled off the field. The sight of an injured Shields is something most of those with the Chiefs have never seen. He’s missed nary a game during his 12-year career and has seldom missed any plays or practices due to injury.

Obviously this was serious. Doctors and trainers worked on him for several minutes before he put himself back in the game. He was re-taped at half-time and he came out and played every offensive snap in the second half. During time when the offense was on the sidelines, Shields never sat down, instead pacing about, keeping the ankle loose; not allowing it to stiffen up. He played most of the second half next to Jordan Black, who stepped in when Chris Bober injured his right foot and had to leave the game.

The Chiefs did most of their running to the left side after Shields’ injury, running behind Willie Roaf and Brian Waters. But in pass protections, Shields was solid. It was a remarkable, yet expected performance from the rock of the Chiefs offense.

JOHNSON: So much has been written and said about this former No. 1 draft choice during his two seasons with the team. It’s time for everyone to give the kid credit: he’s never given up.

Thrust into the role of the feature back with Priest Holmes out and Derrick Blaylock injured in the first half, he answered the call. Johnson ran hard and tough. He showed moves and speed. He also caught the ball; three passes for 56 yards. It was his running in the second half that gave a jump-start to the offense. He finished with 118 yards on 20 carries, including a 34-yard run on a draw play that was the key non-scoring snap of the second half for the KC offense.

“You can see this confidence growing on a weekly basis,” said Trent Green of Johnson. “He was out there today making things happen.”

In a season lost, the Chiefs have not given up. Trent Green, Gunther Cunningham, Will Shields and Larry Johnson are proof of that.

the Talking Can
12-06-2004, 09:04 AM
"It was more than Cunningham could handle. At half-time, he exploded like he hasn’t during this entire return to KC season. His words were brutal and frank and can’t be repeated verbatim here. The premise was this: he was tired of the secondary embarrassing the team and the entire franchise."

about ****ing time!

glad to hear Black stepped in, I didn't even notice which is a compliment to him

HC_Chief
12-06-2004, 09:19 AM
Jordan Black did a superb job. I concentrated on his play when Bober went out, eager to see how he would do and whether or not we'd give him help on every play. He did exceptionally well, and we didn't shift help to his side :thumb:

Gunther needs to get tough or get going. It is that simple. This _efense is heartless, gutless, and brainless. It is a direct reflection of the coaching staff. Gun needs to revert to Goon and show these guys what intensity is all about. Heads need to roll, cussing at 100 decibles needs to be the norm and these pansy-ass faggots need to start smashing opponents!! :grr:

Gaz
12-06-2004, 09:33 AM
I also watched when Black came into the game. He did a fine job in a tough situation.

xoxo~
Gaz
Was very pleased with the continuity on the OL.

MichaelH
12-06-2004, 09:34 AM
I wonder if Gun has been quiet to this point to avoid stepping on DV's toes. If yesterday was the first time he's gone off all year, he's been doing a whole bunch of tongue biting. :hmmm:

bricks
12-06-2004, 09:38 AM
I also watched when Black came into the game. He did a fine job in a tough situation.

xoxo~
Gaz
Was very pleased with the continuity on the OL.

Yeah. I did too. great job Jordan Black I have a feeling he's going to be here a long time. "He should be here after Will Shields retires. this team has never had a probliem finding guards. :thumb:

NY CHIEF
12-06-2004, 09:54 AM
:hmmm: Maybe its time for gun to be on the field during the game.Lets see how the (d) ? plays when they have to face him after a missed tackle :thumb:

BigChiefFan
12-06-2004, 09:57 AM
I applaud Gunther for going off on those deadbeats. He should have done it weeks ago. This hold hands shit that Vermeil has instilled doesn't work in football. People need to know their job is on the line and if they play like shit, they won't be here for long. Give 'em hell, Gunny!!!!

morphius
12-06-2004, 10:10 AM
:hmmm: Maybe its time for gun to be on the field during the game.Lets see how the (d) ? plays when they have to face him after a missed tackle :thumb:
I have never liked having a DC on the field, you get a much better view of what the Offense is doing to you from up in the booth.

But if people screw up, they need to be called over to a phone or a headset.

Gaz
12-06-2004, 10:15 AM
...But if people screw up, they need to be called over to a phone or a headset.

Maybe we would equip the players with shock collars and give Gunther the button?

xoxo~
Gaz
Pretty sure that Gunther would be charge with accidental death instead of murder.

Iowanian
12-06-2004, 10:17 AM
CUNNINGHAM: At half-time, the Chiefs defensive coordinator was nearly out of his mind. The frustration of the season and the poor play of the defense had built up to a crescendo in his head. On top of all that was a first-half performance that was an embarrassment. Kerry Collins threw for 190 yards and a pair of TD passes in just 26 offensive plays. The secondary was beaten for 51 and 34-yard scores.

It was more than Cunningham could handle. At half-time, he exploded like he hasn’t during this entire return to KC season. His words were brutal and frank and can’t be repeated verbatim here. The premise was this: he was tired of the secondary embarrassing the team and the entire franchise.

“I probably should not have done that at half-time, but I couldn’t stand it,” Cunningham said. “We were awful. We sucked and there was no reason for it. We were killing ourselves.”

He should have beaten the entire defense with a club 10 weeks ago.

bricks
12-06-2004, 10:20 AM

He should have beaten the entire defense with a club 10 weeks ago.

agreed. The Tampa game was enough to convince me, he shoulda pulled out his club. The true Gun comes out.

shaneo69
12-06-2004, 12:09 PM
Yeah. I did too. great job Jordan Black I have a feeling he's going to be here a long time. "He should be here after Will Shields retires. this team has never had a probliem finding guards. :thumb:

I think he's penciled in as Roaf's heir apparent at LT. And I think you may see Sampson starting at RT next year, with Bober and Welbourn both moving back to the C/OG spots as backups.

Rain Man
12-06-2004, 12:16 PM
To be honest, I didn't even know that Black came in. (I was watching at a sports bar, so the players were itty-bitty.) He must've done well, since I didn't see Green getting plastered.

I hope Shields' ankle is okay. That's unprecedented.

TEX
12-06-2004, 12:17 PM
Maybe we would equip the players with shock collars and give Gunther the button?

xoxo~
Gaz
Pretty sure that Gunther would be charge with accidental death instead of murder.

ROFL :clap:

jettio
12-06-2004, 12:22 PM
They played the same game they have the whole year, except this game they were the one that made the key plays at the end. All they did was beat another 4-win team in their house. They could have done the same at Jax, TB, and NO if they made some plays at the end.

Same with Carolina, and Houston at home.

They have given a good effort the whole year, just have not been clutch.

Lzen
12-06-2004, 12:25 PM
I love this part about Gun. Man, he should've done that way earlier in the season. And I really, really like Gaz's idea about the shock collars. :thumb:

chiefqueen
12-06-2004, 12:38 PM
To be honest, I didn't even know that Black came in. (I was watching at a sports bar, so the players were itty-bitty.) He must've done well, since I didn't see Green getting plastered.

Neither did I & I watched @ home...I think that says something about the C:BS: announcers.

HarryParatestes
12-06-2004, 02:18 PM

Ditto. Was getting hammered...errrr...watching the game at a local bar.

Didn't notice the new number on the OL..that's a good thing. Besides..the waitress had her McGuffies out on display..very distracting...

I started watching the agmes along ( this is Tatan's country, so no local affiliate) Now I have 5 friends who join me every Sunday for the games.

Harry the Baptist? Hummmm

Iowanian
12-06-2004, 02:30 PM
I'll bet that after Gun Went off on the Players, Vermiel made him take a timeout in the corner to think about what he'd done.

Vermiel is like the Vegetarian Soccer mom who lets her kids choose their own bedtime, where they retire to the "family bed" and select their own punishment.

Gunther is like the guy on that show where people trade wives a couple of weeks, who has enough on the last day, who loses it and canes the snotting little pricks in a way that makes Singapore cut to commercial.

....and thats exactly what this team needs, just below Talent.

nmt1
12-06-2004, 02:36 PM
I don't believe any of this. Gretz is nothing but a shill for the organization. This is all PR spin. Carl told Gretz to spin this to make it look good. There were fights in the lockeroom at halftime. Priest was eating nachos. The Chiefs don't want to win. They stood pat. They're all a bunch of idiots.

ck_IN
12-06-2004, 02:44 PM
<i>It was more than Cunningham could handle. At half-time, he exploded like he hasn’t during this entire return to KC season. His words were brutal and frank and can’t be repeated verbatim here. The premise was this: he was tired of the secondary embarrassing the team and the entire franchise.</i>

Way to go Gun!! Keep doing it and don't apologize! :thumb:

Logical
12-06-2004, 02:53 PM

Way to go Gun!! Keep doing it and don't apologize! :thumb:
While I agree it is way to f*cking late, where was that fire back in the beginning of the season when it actually could have meant something. Now it is just a prelude to a bad draft pick.

ck_IN
12-06-2004, 03:38 PM
Jim I'm just happy to see someone has some fire in this organization. This team could've accomplished something but it needed a fire lit under it. At least Gun is trying.

Logical
12-06-2004, 04:07 PM
Jim I'm just happy to see someone has some fire in this organization. This team could've accomplished something but it needed a fire lit under it. At least Gun is trying.

Actually I agree. I think DV has lost whatever fire he once possessed. Unfortunately Al Saunders is not a fiery type guy and I sure as heck do not want to see Gun as a head coach again. Kind of worries me for next year.