PDA

View Full Version : Drew Brees or Phillip Rivers?

Gaz
12-06-2004, 12:49 PM
xoxo~
Gaz
Sees the Chargers in a bit of a pickle.

Rain Man
12-06-2004, 12:51 PM
Yeah, this is going to be fun to watch. Marty's well-known for making the right decision on QB's, though, so I'll trust his judgment.

RedandGold
12-06-2004, 12:53 PM
My guess is that Brees gets franchised, and both will be in SD next season.

Rausch
12-06-2004, 12:55 PM
Yeah, this is going to be fun to watch. Marty's well-known for making the right decision on QB's, though, so I'll trust his judgment. ROFL

Otter
12-06-2004, 12:57 PM
Bite me Gaz...they'll both be in San Diego next year.

Gaz
12-06-2004, 12:58 PM
I do not see the value in franchising Brees when you have your #1 pick on the roster. This ain’t your daddy’s NFL, where a rookie learns slowly from a mentor. This is the “what have you done for me lately” NFL, where fans want immediate gratification and rookies are thrown into the fire.

I can see Rivers or Brees, but I have a hard time with the idea that both will be Chargers next season.

xoxo~
Gaz
Sees a guns or butter scenario.

Coogs
12-06-2004, 12:59 PM
I'm looking for a franchise and trade of Brees to take place.

DeepSouth
12-06-2004, 01:03 PM
The Chargers are known to be tightwades. Brees will probably be employeed elsewhere for 2005. Ought to receive decent compensatory pick for him in 2006 draft.

Same question can be asked about Griese and Simms in Tampa? Griese's been playing pretty good.

Gaz
12-06-2004, 01:03 PM

Who is desperate enough for a QB to spend that kind of capital for Brees?

I mean, you have to look at his entire record, not just this [admittedly great] season.

xoxo~
Gaz
Doesn’t get it yet.

DeepSouth
12-06-2004, 01:07 PM
Franchise means they'd have to pay him the average of the top five QBs in the league. If you think of what guys like both the Mannings, Farve, McNabb, etc...., that's going to be some pretty hefty bucks. I guess it wouldn't hurt their salary cap if they did sign him to a one year deal and then traded him. They couldn't afford to sign him to a multi year deal because that would entail some kind of signing bonus which they would eat if they turned around and traded him.

Coogs
12-06-2004, 01:08 PM

I mean, you have to look at his entire record, not just this [admittedly great] season.

xoxo~
Gaz
Doesn’t get it yet.

IIRC, there is some kind of a loop-hole in the system. If the teams can come to agreement on some sort of compensation (draft pick(s)), then the new team can re-negotiate the contract. Could be wrong, but it seems like something along these lines has happened a time or two in the past.

Ultra Peanut
12-06-2004, 01:09 PM
Yeah, this is going to be fun to watch. Marty's well-known for making the right decision on QB's, though, so I'll trust his judgment.Damn, I just gave you rep in the Scanlon thread...

Rausch
12-06-2004, 01:09 PM

Chicago, the Tards, and Baltimore. Perhaps the Dolphins.

Gaz
12-06-2004, 01:10 PM
Coogs-

You are officially WAY out of my skill code now, man.

xoxo~
Gaz
Does not even play a contracts lawyer on TV.

Coogs
12-06-2004, 01:13 PM
Coogs-

You are officially WAY out of my skill code now, man.

xoxo~
Gaz
Does not even play a contracts lawyer on TV.

It's what deepsouth said. The only part the Chargers are responsible for is the signing bonus. There is no signing bonus in a franchise offer. The new team would have to do some sort of a deal to spread the cash out over a few years to make it worth the investment.

I don't think it is that difficult. The hard part is agreeing on the compensation.

Rausch
12-06-2004, 01:16 PM
I don't think it is that difficult. The hard part is agreeing on the compensation.

Agreed.

I don't see the Chargers getting a first, but they can use to tag to retain his rights while a trade is being worked out. Drop tag, make trade.

I don't think a 2nd or 3rd pick is too much. I think Brees has a bright future.

morphius
12-06-2004, 01:17 PM
IIRC, there is some kind of a loop-hole in the system. If the teams can come to agreement on some sort of compensation (draft pick(s)), then the new team can re-negotiate the contract. Could be wrong, but it seems like something along these lines has happened a time or two in the past.
Yes, that rings true to me as well.

Something to keep in mind, I just heard on Petro's show, from the SD counterpart, that the Bolts are looking at 22 mil under the cap next year.

milkman
12-08-2004, 12:29 PM
Yes, that rings true to me as well.

Something to keep in mind, I just heard on Petro's show, from the SD counterpart, that the Bolts are looking at 22 mil under the cap next year.

I've heard the same thing on SD sports talk.
I've also heard that the Chargers are looking at tagging, and keeping Brees since they have so much room, and finding out if he is the same QB next season as he is this season, in which case they might consider trading Rivers after next season.

Hydrae
12-08-2004, 12:35 PM
Chicago, the Tards, and Baltimore. Perhaps the Dolphins.

How about the 'Aints?

And if I was Denny Green (thank god I am not! :) ), I would put McCown back in there and let him get comfortable. He has the ability to be their starter for a while in the limited amount I have seen him.