PDA

View Full Version : Cal coach wants coaches poll voters' choices to be made public

Lzen
12-07-2004, 08:34 AM
December 7th - 4:39 am ET

New contract in hand, Tedford calls for accountability in coaches' poll
GREG BEACHAM
AP Sports Writer
Cal football coach Jeff Tedford, speaking at a news conference on Monday, Dec. 6, 2004, in Berkeley, Calif., to discusses details of a five-year agreement he reached with UC Berkeley. The contract keeps Tedford coaching the Cal Bears through the 2009 football season. (AP Photo/Noah Berger)

BERKELEY, Calif. — Jeff Tedford plans to keep California in contention for a Rose Bowl berth during each season of his new five-year contract.

He also wants to know which of his fellow coaches helped prevent the Golden Bears from getting to Pasadena this season.

After signing a lucrative new deal Monday that could keep him at Cal through 2009, Tedford called for voters in the coaches poll to make their choices public.

The Bears finished fourth in the poll, but six coaches inexplicably dropped them below No. 6 on the final ballots — one of several factors that kept Cal just short of a Bowl Championship Series berth.

"It's something we need to know," said Tedford, one of the poll's 61 voters. "One of the worst things that could happen is the votes being kept secret. If we had it to do all over again, I would hope that we'd make them public."

Though Cal's players and fans were abuzz over Tedford's new commitment to the school following the Bears' best regular season in a half century, nobody could fathom why six coaches picked the Bears seventh or lower in the final poll — four at No. 7 and two in the eighth slot.

In the previous week's poll, nobody picked Cal lower than sixth. The latest vote came after Cal's 26-16 win at Southern Mississippi on Saturday night — a close game, but a tough road contest that wasn't in doubt in the final minutes.

Pac-10 commissioner Tom Hansen also wants to put names to the votes that hurt Cal's BCS standing.

"Those votes should be called out," Hansen said. "We ought to know who did that, because that's wrong."

After leading Texas for several weeks, Cal (10-1) slipped behind the Longhorns into fifth place in the final BCS standings Sunday, in part because the Bears lost ground in both The Associated Press and coaches polls recently.

The BCS drop caused Cal to miss out on the school's first Rose Bowl in 45 years. The Golden Bears got a meeting with Texas Tech in the Holiday Bowl instead.

In the AP poll, Cal finished 62 points ahead of Texas in fourth place. In the coaches poll, the Bears were just five points ahead of Texas, which will play Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

The Associated Press made public its poll Sunday, listing each voter's name, news organization and votes for Nos. 1-25. None of the AP media voters had Cal ranked lower than sixth.

But the American Football Coaches Association conducts the balloting for the ESPN/USA Today coaches poll, and the coaches voted twice this year to keep their ballots secret.

"I certainly have a question of some of them," Hansen said of the coaches' votes. "Something pretty unusual happened between last week and this week. I'd like to have the Cal football team be able to know which coaches thought they weren't in the top six teams."

AFCA president Grant Teaff said the ballots from the final coaches poll will not be released. He said he didn't believe there was anything suspicious about the final voting.

"We do very good due diligence to run a credible poll," he said. "I understand their obvious concerns. I'm not oblivious to that."

Teaff said making the ballots open will be discussed again in January.

The controversy didn't detract from Tedford's excitement over a new contract that should end speculation on his future at Cal. With other schools already inquiring about Tedford's availability for the third straight year, the coach and athletic director Sandy Barbour got something done quickly.

"I didn't want to entertain anything else," Tedford said. "I hope everybody knows by now that I am 100 percent committed to this program in the future."

And Cal is committed to Tedford, who will make $1.5 million per year plus as much as $300,000 in incentives, along with a $2.5 million retention bonus at the end of the contract. The bonus boosts his annual salary to $2 million — exactly the amount that will be made by new Florida coach Urban Meyer.

It's an impressive financial investment for Cal, an academic power where athletics have always been viewed skeptically by certain faculty and students. It's also a significant coup for Barbour, who raised all the money to keep her football coach entirely from private donors in just 2 1/2 months on the job.

"There was a call to action that we put out there, and I can't say enough about how people responded," Barbour said. "I've said for months that I believed Jeff wanted to be here, and now he has proven it."

———

AP Sports Writer Janie McCauley contributed to this report.
Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Saulbadguy
12-07-2004, 08:35 AM
Cal was shafted...but whining about it won't help.

Lzen
12-07-2004, 08:36 AM
I don't know if I think that's a good idea. Perhaps Cal was screwed. Or perhaps everyone thought that Cal should've whooped Southern Miss. Then again, Texas should've whooped Kansas in their eyes, too. I just don't know if making the votes public would make much difference. This ought to be good.

jspchief
12-07-2004, 09:28 AM
I don't know if I think that's a good idea. Perhaps Cal was screwed. Or perhaps everyone thought that Cal should've whooped Southern Miss. Then again, Texas should've whooped Kansas in their eyes, too. I just don't know if making the votes public would make much difference. This ought to be good.

Cal got f*cked. Maybe whining won't help, but sitting back and saying nothing is a good way to insure this joke of a system remains intact.

Cal went out and won their game, including taking a knee to end it instead of running up the score. Meanwhile, Texas sat on their asses and did nothing. How can you determine that one team got better when that team didn't even play a game?

If you want to talk about margin of victory, take a look at Texas against Kansas and Arkansas.

The Big 12 conference receives an additional 4.5 million by Texas getting in...wonder what coaches changed their mind?

The Auburn thing pales in comparison. Most people would agree that the two best teams are playing for the title.

WilliamTheIrish
12-07-2004, 09:33 AM
Win your weak assed conference.

You're fortunate you didn't tumble all the way to the f*cking Alamo Bowl after losing your CCG in double OT and still being in the top 6 of the computerized rankings. (ala KSU 98.)

jspchief
12-07-2004, 09:39 AM
Win your weak assed conference.

You're fortunate you didn't tumble all the way to the f*cking Alamo Bowl after losing your CCG in double OT and still being in the top 6 of the computerized rankings. (ala KSU 98.)

WTF are you talking about?

Cal's only loss came to the best team in the country, and it was only by 6 points. Since they are in the same division as USC, they didn't play in the CCG. UCLA won their division (at 4-4) and faced USC in the CCG.

Cal is top five in both scoring O and scoring D in the entire NCAA. If you're busting on them as not deserving, you don't know shit about college football.

HC_Chief
12-07-2004, 09:54 AM
UT pulled some strings.

Cocksuckers. Mangino nailed it after the <i>stolen</i> victory the longhorns had over Kansas... it's all about dollar signs. :grr:

jspchief
12-07-2004, 09:58 AM
UT pulled some strings.

Cocksuckers. Mangino nailed it after the stolen victory the longhorns had over Kansas... it's all about dollar signs. :grr:

Exactly. In the coaches poll, there's enough money involved to make people vote with their wallets instead of their heads. In the AP, there's probably just a bunch of Texas writers that want the easy assignment of covering one of their home teams in a BCS bowl.

WilliamTheIrish
12-07-2004, 10:00 AM
WTF are you talking about?

Cal's only loss came to the best team in the country, and it was only by 6 points. Since they are in the same division as USC, they didn't play in the CCG. UCLA won their division (at 4-4) and faced USC in the CCG.

Cal is top five in both scoring O and scoring D in the entire NCAA. If you're busting on them as not deserving, you don't know shit about college football.

Then win the conference. It's all moot if Cal wins. They can blame it on money, computer polls etc.

Win it outright and they're in. They have no gripe.

jspchief
12-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Then win the conference. It's all moot if Cal wins. They can blame it on money, computer polls etc.

Win it outright and they're in. They have no gripe.

Nice argument. Win your conference and you're in. Like Texas?

WilliamTheIrish
12-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Exactly. In the coaches poll, there's enough money involved to make people vote with their wallets instead of their heads. In the AP, there's probably just a bunch of Texas writers that want the easy assignment of covering one of their home teams in a BCS bowl.

See this where your a being an idiot. What do you tink the PAC 10 coaches were doing this weak? Do you think they weren't polling down the Big 12 teams?

If so, then you don't know shit about college football....

the Talking Can
12-07-2004, 10:05 AM
I'd love to see coaches get caught voting Cal out.

jspchief
12-07-2004, 10:07 AM
See this where your a being an idiot. What do you tink the PAC 10 coaches were doing this weak? Do you think they weren't polling down the Big 12 teams?

If so, then you don't know shit about college football....

They weren't changing their votes. The majority of changed votes came from the state of Texas.

If they're going to use blatant homerism to vote, at least do it all year long.

If you think this system is working, you have family on the BCS commitee.

WilliamTheIrish
12-07-2004, 10:07 AM
Nice argument. Win your conference and you're in. Like Texas?

I listened to the same crybaby shiot from UTerus last season. They got beat out of the BCS because KSU waxed OU and won the title.

TFB. Beat SC and they are in.

Next year, they'll be the sentimental favorite for the at large, just like Texas was this year. God knows they cried for 8 months after the decisions came down last season.

WilliamTheIrish
12-07-2004, 10:19 AM
OK, I just re-read the article and one thing did jump out at me.

The President of the American Football Coaches Association is Grant Teaff. Grant Teaff was the long time coach for Baylor. In the old Southwest Conference.

Jsp, I take it back. I'll bet there was plenty of Texas back room buggering going on.

jspchief
12-07-2004, 10:22 AM
I listened to the same crybaby shiot from UTerus last season. They got beat out of the BCS because KSU waxed OU and won the title.

TFB. Beat SC and they are in.

Next year, they'll be the sentimental favorite for the at large, just like Texas was this year. God knows they cried for 8 months after the decisions came down last season.

So what's your point? That the sytem doesn't work and is a f*cked up mess? That's what I've been saying all along.

Saying you have to win your conference to be one of the top teams in the country is absurd. I'm not saying they belong in the national championship game, but they sure as hell deserve to be considered among the top 6.

If you think this system works, I think you're crazy. Hell, I'd rather it just return to the traditional bowl system than continue to watch this f*cked up mess.

PastorMikH
12-07-2004, 10:32 AM
There's a way to solve all this mess but the NCAA won't do it. It's called Playoffs. I have heard a number of arguements against playoffs but none of them are convincing enough to shoot down the idea. They have a tourney in Basketball as well as other sports. Let the top 8 teams battle it out so that there is no doubt as to who the national champ is.

Soupnazi
12-07-2004, 10:52 AM
Memo to Cal-

Have you lost a game? Yep? Then STFU. Only the undefeated teams have something to bitch about. The rest of y'all are just jockeying to determine who's the best of the losers.

WilliamTheIrish
12-07-2004, 10:59 AM
So what's your point? That the sytem doesn't work and is a f*cked up mess? That's what I've been saying all along.

Saying you have to win your conference to be one of the top teams in the country is absurd. I'm not saying they belong in the national championship game, but they sure as hell deserve to be considered among the top 6.

If you think this system works, I think you're crazy. Hell, I'd rather it just return to the traditional bowl system than continue to watch this f*cked up mess.

Hey, believe me, I've been (as a fan) where Cal is in 1998. Nobody gave a shiot about it either.

Then in 2000K. Lost to the Nat'l champs by 3 in the Big 12 Title game.

On the outside looking in again.

2003 rolls around and KSU wins the title.

Leave no doubt.

jspchief
12-07-2004, 11:11 AM
Hey, believe me, I've been (as a fan) where Cal is in 1998. Nobody gave a shiot about it either.

Then in 2000K. Lost to the Nat'l champs by 3 in the Big 12 Title game.

On the outside looking in again.

2003 rolls around and KSU wins the title.

Leave no doubt.

So since your team got railed by the system in the past, you're content watching it happen to other teams now? I'm not following very well, so correct me if that's not what you're saying. Sounds like sour grapes.

So what happens next year if KSU (or whoever's your team) is in Cal's position? Will you still be content? It's the responsibility of the teams that get screwed to make it clear what a joke the BCS is, so that hopefully there will be enough pressure from the fans that the NCAA will finally fix it.

jspchief
12-07-2004, 11:15 AM
Memo to Cal-

Have you lost a game? Yep? Then STFU. Only the undefeated teams have something to bitch about. The rest of y'all are just jockeying to determine who's the best of the losers.

That's a brilliant argument. Using that logic, as soon as a team loses one game, they should just quit for the season. "The rest of the losers" is a big part of what college football (sports) is about. That why teams still care if they move up in the polls from 12 to 11, or from 26 to 25. Fans still care if their team is ranked in the top ten. It's no different than hoping your NFL team at least makes the play-offs, except that in college you only have a 1 in 117 chance of being the champ instead of 1 in 32.

Skip Towne
12-07-2004, 11:18 AM
The entire NCAA needs a big shake up. A college football playoff would generate millions of $. You'd think the dumb bastards would learn from the basketball tourney.

Lzen
12-07-2004, 11:32 AM
It's really hard to say either way. Nobody knows where the votes came from. Nobody can say that they came from the state of Texas. It's all speculation at this point. Also, Texas only lost 1 game this year and that was to the #2 team in the country and it was only a 12-0 score. So, who's to say which team is better? In the end, the BCS is a system that is not working. They definitely need a playoffs. At least have the top 8 teams do a playoff or something.

Soupnazi
12-07-2004, 11:36 AM
That's a brilliant argument. Using that logic, as soon as a team loses one game, they should just quit for the season. "The rest of the losers" is a big part of what college football (sports) is about. That why teams still care if they move up in the polls from 12 to 11, or from 26 to 25. Fans still care if their team is ranked in the top ten. It's no different than hoping your NFL team at least makes the play-offs, except that in college you only have a 1 in 117 chance of being the champ instead of 1 in 32.

Quit as soon as they lose? Not hardly, at that point other teams could lose later on, so your "logic" is stupid.

Cal's ranking ahead of Texas was just as arbitrary as those two schools being ranked ahead of Utah, who hasn't lost. If Cal wanted to be able to complain, then they shouldn't have lost.

The system is what it is. You're relying upon an arbitrary system to determine who is best when very few direct comparisons can be made.

IMO, the only teams that have a right to complain are those who haven't lost, and won't get a chance to be #1. Cal bitching and moaning about how they're ranked is ridiculous given Auburn's or Utah's position. Quite frankly, I couldn't give a crap whether Cal fans or Texas fans think they're better than one another. An argument could be made either way, which is why the system is imperfect. They both had their shot to be perfect on the field and they failed to do so.

They are complaining about the right to be among the best of the losers and whether they're ranked 4 or 5 the point is moot either way.

Frosty
12-07-2004, 12:33 PM

Just a small detail - the PAC-10 doesn't have a CCG. The last week is the rivalry week - the Civil War, the Apple Cup, Arizona/Arizona State, USC/UCLA and Cal/Stanford.

Cal was supposed to have played S. Miss earlier in the season, but the game was postponed due to one of the hurricanes.