PDA

View Full Version : Cheesiest movie moments

Baby Lee
12-07-2004, 12:22 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=529&ncid=529&e=3&u=/ap/20041206/ap_en_mo/people_cheesy_movie_lines

1. "Titanic": Leonardo DiCaprio's "I'm the king of the world!"
2. "Dirty Dancing": Patrick Swayze's "Nobody puts Baby in the corner."
3. "Four Weddings And A Funeral": Andie McDowell's "Is it still raining? I hadn't noticed."
3. "Ghost": Demi Moore's "Ditto." to Patrick Swayze's "I love you."
5. "Top Gun": Val Kilmer to Tom Cruise : "You can be my wingman anytime"
6. "Notting Hill": Julia Roberts' "I'm just a girl... standing in front of a boy... asking him to love her."
7. "Independence Day": Bill Pullman's "Today we celebrate our Independence Day!"
8. "Braveheart": Mel Gibson's "They may take our lives, but they will not take our freedom!"
9. "Jerry Maguire": Renee Zellweger to Tom Cruise: "You had me at hello."
10. "The Postman": A blind woman says to Kevin Costner : "You're a godsend, a savior." He replies: "No, I'm a postman."

alpha_omega
12-07-2004, 12:24 PM
Gotta go with #5 as the cheesiest!

Boozer
12-07-2004, 12:27 PM
I'm surprised enough people saw "The Postman" to get it up to number ten on the list. My personal favorite part is when they have to point out that Tom Petty is indeed Tom Petty by having Costner say "I know you, you were famous."

Baby Lee
12-07-2004, 12:29 PM
The most disappointing to me at the time wasn't a line, but was the ending of "Dead Again," starring the then married Kenneth Branaugh and Emma Thompson. It was a gripping, atmospheric story that had everyone at the edge of their seats, until the villian at the end refused to die, . . . like. . . eight different times. By the 5th or 6th arousal from the dead, the audience that had been spellbound was laughing and throwing stuff at the screen.

ptlyon
Is "Four Weddings And A Funeral" and "Ghost" a tie for 3rd?

Actually, the "Ghost" reference I don't think applies. They said "Ditto" to each other several times in the movie.

Lzen
That is a lame list. Some of those don't even belong in there. I would think they could come up with much more cheese than that.

Deberg_1990
My vote goes to number 2 for the Dirty Dancing quote. What a cheesy line...

Boozer
12-07-2004, 12:30 PM
Is "Four Weddings And A Funeral" and "Ghost" a tie for 3rd?

Someone split his vote for first three ways. Cal got screwed.

Baby Lee
12-07-2004, 12:31 PM
That is a lame list. Some of those don't even belong in there. I would think they could come up with much more cheese than that.
By all means. . . . that is what this thread is for. I'll be sending your inputs to AFI toot-sweet. ;)

Seriously, throw some stuff on the wall.

bobbything
12-07-2004, 12:31 PM
Honorable Mention:

- Laurence Fishburn in the Matrix: "He's begining to believe."

- Vanilla Ice, in Cool As Ice: "Why don't you ditch that zero and get with the hero."

Otter
12-07-2004, 12:32 PM
"The Postman" - that movie was what you would get if you made a Cheers episode where Cliff became a director in Hollywood and decided to re-make Waterworld.

Deberg_1990
12-07-2004, 12:35 PM
"The Postman" - that movie was what you would get if you made a Cheers episode where Cliff became a director in Hollywood and decided to re-make Waterworld.

"Ride Postman Ride!!" I actually liked some parts of it..some of it was just plain bad though. The Cinematography was great though.

Lzen
12-07-2004, 12:40 PM
By all means. . . . that is what this thread is for. I'll be sending your inputs to AFI toot-sweet. ;)

Seriously, throw some stuff on the wall.

Eh, I don't have that good a memory. I just know that while watching a movie (take your pick, Hollywood does something stupid in almost every movie they produce), I always see at least one thing that is stupid or cheesy. Your example of the never-dying bad guy is perfect. That actually happens in a lot of movies.

Or how about the movie Red Planet (I think that's the one I'm recalling)? They land on Mars and find that their habitat has been destroyed. Eventually, they are expecting to run out of oxygen. So, one of them takes off his helmet. Strangely, there is oxygen and he can breathe. Okay, this part I don't have a problem with as it's a major part of the plot. The part I find to be stupid is that they would instantly be frozen in Mars temperatures and winds.

I guess this would be typical Hollywood stupidity. Not sure if it would be classified as cheese. Albeit, Mars temps can be in the teens F. But they were walking around as if it were Spring time. :shake:

jspchief
12-07-2004, 12:45 PM
Honorable Mention:

- Vanilla Ice, in Cool As Ice: "Why don't you ditch that zero and get with the hero."

Umm, It's "Drop the zero and get with the hero".

Fire Me Boy!
12-07-2004, 12:45 PM
I'd have to replace #1 and #2 with the ENTIRE films "Battlefield Earth" and "Tuck Everlasting."

InChiefsHeaven
12-07-2004, 12:53 PM
WTF? There was NOTHING cheesy about Braveheart...

The other Top Gun cheese was where she tells him that she just can't tell him how brilliant his flying is, because people will see that she is falling for him, blah blah blah...

...then the whole "flying for his dad" bit...

...now that I think about it, that whole damn movie was a big stinky block of moldy cheese...

Fairplay
12-07-2004, 12:54 PM
Or how about the movie Red Planet (I think that's the one I'm recalling)? They land on Mars and find that their habitat has been destroyed. Eventually, they are expecting to run out of oxygen. So, one of them takes off his helmet. Strangely, there is oxygen and he can breathe. Okay, this part I don't have a problem with as it's a major part of the plot. The part I find to be stupid is that they would instantly be frozen in Mars temperatures and winds.

I guess this would be typical Hollywood stupidity. Not sure if it would be classified as cheese. Albeit, Mars temps can be in the teens F. But they were walking around as if it were Spring time. :shake:

Red planet, that movie was an insult to my intelligence as soon as he took off his helmet. I thought. you can't expect us to believe that?

Another movie that went off the deep end several times is Armageddon.
Bruce Willis and company sent up to drill holes in an asteriod to blow it up, right.
I can't believe these actors reading these scripts would actually sign on to do these movies. In Armageddon, the drama never existed. One of the most important aspects of a film, especially a science fiction, is the suspension of disbelief. Once you get that "Oh, come on" feeling, I disengage myself from the movie a bit, and the fun drops. I was disappointed by this movie, and not just because of the scientific ludicrousness.

Baby Lee
12-07-2004, 12:54 PM
WTF? There was NOTHING cheesy about Braveheart...

The other Top Gun cheese was where she tells him that she just can't tell him how brilliant his flying is, because people will see that she is falling for him, blah blah blah...

...then the whole "flying for his dad" bit...

...now that I think about it, that whole damn movie was a big stinky block of moldy cheese...
You never close your eyes, anymore when I kiss YOUR LI-YA-PPSSSS!!!

Fire Me Boy!
12-07-2004, 12:59 PM
You never close your eyes, anymore when I kiss YOUR LI-YA-PPSSSS!!!
*taking over where you left off*
There's no tenderness like before in your finnnnnnnngertiiiipsssss.

Demonpenz
12-07-2004, 01:05 PM
From Cool As Ice

Some dude:Where you from?
Ice: Around.
Somedude: Where around?
Ice: yup yup!

Gaz
If you cannot turn off your higher brain functions, then you should not watch “Independence Day” or “Armageddon” or “Red Planet” or “The Day After Tomorrow” or “The Core” and the like. All of these are absurd from a science viewpoint, but are decent popcorn flicks once you ignore the pseudo science explanations. Just drop your I.Q. by half, crank up the surround sound and let the mayhem begin.

The only time I could not get past the technofoolery was “Air Force One.” I worked on the Air Force One planes and just could not swallow the bulletproof skins, ramp and escape pod.

xoxo~
Gaz
Willing to suspend disbelief for a couple hours of entertainment.

Demonpenz
She's lost the loving feeling goose

I HATE IT WHEN SHE DOES THAT

PunkinDrublic
12-07-2004, 01:07 PM
How could they leave the movie roadhouse off this list that movie is filled with cheesy lines. The movie itself is a running joke.

Eleazar
12-07-2004, 01:11 PM
I'd have to replace #1 and #2 with the ENTIRE films "Battlefield Earth" and "Tuck Everlasting."

You would have a tough time making a list of the top 10 cheesiest quotes just from Battlefield Earth.

Deberg_1990
12-07-2004, 01:14 PM
How could they leave the movie roadhouse off this list that movie is filled with cheesy lines. The movie itself is a running joke.

hahah..true

Morgan: What am I supposed to do?
Dalton: There's always barber college.

Gaz
12-07-2004, 01:16 PM
I have never seen “Roadhouse.”

Lucky or deprived?

xoxo~
Gaz
Suspects he has not missed much.

Fire Me Boy!
12-07-2004, 01:18 PM
If you cannot turn off your higher brain functions, then you should not watch “Independence Day” or “Armageddon” or “Red Planet” or “The Day After Tomorrow” or “The Core” and the like. All of these are absurd from a science viewpoint, but are decent popcorn flicks once you ignore the pseudo science explanations. Just drop your I.Q. by half, crank up the surround sound and let the mayhem begin.

The only time I could not get past the technofoolery was “Air Force One.” I worked on the Air Force One planes and just could not swallow the bulletproof skins, ramp and escape pod.

xoxo~
Gaz
Willing to suspend disbelief for a couple hours of entertainment.

I always refer to these films as "Check Your Brain Films." As in... check your brain at the door and have a good time.

Deberg_1990
12-07-2004, 01:20 PM
I have never seen “Roadhouse.”

Lucky or deprived?

xoxo~
Gaz
Suspects he has not missed much.

Depends on what you like. Ill admit its a "Guilty Pleasure" of mine. Honestly, its a pretty bad movie though...

MichaelH
12-07-2004, 01:21 PM
Any movie with Tom Cruise or Patrick Swayze instantly classifies itself as full of cheezy movie moments or lines.

Son of Logical
12-07-2004, 01:33 PM
Last of the Moquiens

No matter what, I will find you.
That was the most cheesest moment I remember.

Frosty
12-07-2004, 01:37 PM
"Ride Postman Ride!!" I actually liked some parts of it..some of it was just plain bad though. The Cinematography was great though.

The Postman was filmed not far from where I live. My wife and I were out for a drive and drove in to the town, not realizing they were making a movie.

As we came down the road to Metaline, there was a wall around the town made of logs sharpened on one end. We are like "WTF?". There are a lot of survivalist types in this neck of the woods but that was extreme. :hmmm:

Didn't see anyone famous, since they were filming out of town that day.

Eleazar
12-07-2004, 01:37 PM
At the end of Titanic when the chick says her last name is the guy who got turned into a popsicle's last name, that is just about the cheesiest line I have ever seen. If I had rolled my eyes any more severely they would have detatched and fallen out of my skull.

MOhillbilly
12-07-2004, 01:41 PM
*Luke,I am your father*

lame.

Rain Man
12-07-2004, 01:44 PM
I wasn't a big fan of Jerry Maguire, but #9 wasn't bad.

Now, #7. I don't know if Bill Pullman is just a horrific actor, or if he just had the part that was written by the high school intern, but he alone ruined the movie Independence Day. Every line he spouted out in the movie was just an embarrassment to thespianism.

If we really want cheesy, we can't forget Starship Troopers, the worst abomination of a movie ever, albeit with great special effects. Among the cheesiest moments was when Doogie Howser had a captured bug in a big cage, and his "scientific experimenting" was limited to shooting it about a thousand times. How many actors died to capture that thing so you could interrogate it and learn about its culture and thinking and planning and biology, and you just fill it full of holes as your experiment? What were the writers thinking?

And I particularly liked the part about the spaceship getting hit by the bug-fired asteroid. I've described it before, so I won't do it again, but everything about that scene was a car wreck. Everything.

Baby Lee
12-07-2004, 01:49 PM
Do you know what happens to a toad when it gets struck by lightning? The same thing that happens to everything else.

Eleazar
If we really want cheesy, we can't forget Starship Troopers, the worst abomination of a movie ever, albeit with great special effects. Among the cheesiest moments was when Doogie Howser had a captured bug in a big cage, and his "scientific experimenting" was limited to shooting it about a thousand times. How many actors died to capture that thing so you could interrogate it and learn about its culture and thinking and planning and biology, and you just fill it full of holes as your experiment? What were the writers thinking?

ROFL that movie is awful.

Especially the ending. You're just like, wtf!?

cadmonkey
Those are all good, but there is a scene from Mission Impossible II that I can't stomache seeing.

Tom Cruise and the main girl are talking about Tom going to confront the bad guy. She's all pissed off that he didn't tell her right away and he is trying to calm her down. The conversation is as follows, with the cheesy line being Tom's final line:

Tom: "Would it make you feel better to know that I didn't want to do this?"

Girl: "Yes, yes it would."

Tom: (in an angry tone) "THEN FEEL BETTER!"

I really hate that scene.

Rain Man
12-07-2004, 01:50 PM
ROFL that movie is awful.

Especially the ending. You're just like, wtf!?

Yeah, when it ended, I was just agog. I turned to my wife and said, "What, did the filmmaker just run out of money or something?"

Baby Lee
12-07-2004, 01:51 PM
Or that scene in Superfly, when he said "Superfly, do or die!!!"

ROFL ROFL

CosmicPal
12-07-2004, 01:53 PM
The cheesiest one of all, from "It's a Wonderful Life"

"Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings."

Or maybe it's the screeching tone of the little girl's voice, but I always thought that was cheesy.

Frosty
12-07-2004, 02:01 PM
Now, #7. I don't know if Bill Pullman is just a horrific actor, or if he just had the part that was written by the high school intern, but he alone ruined the movie Independence Day. Every line he spouted out in the movie was just an embarrassment to thespianism.

I really liked the first 25 minutes of Independence Day but from the second the stripper, her kid and the dog escape the flames by jumping into a room in the tunnel (as the flames fly by outside the open door), the movie crashes with a thud and never gets up. From the stupid subplot with the prez' wife to the heros interfacing into an alien computer with a Mac, it completely spirals out of control.

I can usually turn my brain off to enjoy a movie, but if something really stupid happens that intrudes into my suspended belief (the jumping bus in Speed, for example), the movie is ruined after that.

JazzzLovr
12-07-2004, 02:02 PM

I think it's Bill Pullman. Some friends talked me into seeing "Mr. Wrong" and ever since then, I can't get through one line of his dialogue without getting the picture in my head of the scene in "Mr. Wrong" where he's reciting a poem or something to her.

He just does this squinty-eyes, William-Shatner-esque, look-at-me-I'm-the-dashing-hero thing whenever he delivers his lines. It served him well in the parody "Spaceballs", but I just can't take any of his roles seriously anymore.

JazzzLovr
12-07-2004, 02:03 PM
The cheesiest one of all, from "It's a Wonderful Life"

"Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings."

Or maybe it's the screeching tone of the little girl's voice, but I always thought that was cheesy.

:LOL: Love that movie, but yes, that voice is grating on the ears.

Frosty
12-07-2004, 02:05 PM
You're kidding, right?

ROFL

Well, how else were they going to download the virus into it?

Raiderhater
12-07-2004, 02:08 PM
Those are all good, but there is a scene from Mission Impossible II that I can't stomache seeing.

Tom Cruise and the main girl are talking about Tom going to confront the bad guy. She's all pissed off that he didn't tell her right away and he is trying to calm her down. The conversation is as follows, with the cheesy line being Tom's final line:

Tom: "Would it make you feel better to know that I didn't want to do this?"

Girl: "Yes, yes it would."

Tom: (in an angry tone) "THEN FEEL BETTER!"

I really hate that scene.

That entire movie sucked.

I heard a rumor not long ago that they are working a third one. Oh yeah...

Eleazar
12-07-2004, 02:10 PM
Well, how else were they going to download the virus into it?

Maybe the alien spaceships are running on Panther or something?

Frosty
12-07-2004, 02:11 PM
That entire movie sucked.

I heard a rumor not long ago that they are working a third one. Oh yeah...

Actually, if you mute the sound and watch only the scenes that have Thandie Newton in them, it wasn't bad at all.

Raiderhater
12-07-2004, 02:21 PM
Actually, if you mute the sound and watch only the scenes that have Thandie Newton in them, it wasn't bad at all.

Well, ok. I guess I can't really argue with that.

I will say that Hopkins had a great line in the film. I don't remember exactly how it goes because it has been so long, but somehting to the affect of, "Training? To go to bed with a man and lie to him? You're a woman, you have all the training you need."

Demonpenz
12-07-2004, 03:15 PM
It's you who's out gobbie, OUT OF YOUR MIND!

Slayer Diablo
12-07-2004, 03:23 PM
If there were cheesy moments in "Braveheart" and "Independence Day", those two wouldn't (or shouldn't, anyway) be included.

Lzen
12-07-2004, 03:28 PM
I still don't get the Braveheart one. I didn't think there was anything cheesy in that flick.

Eleazar
12-07-2004, 03:29 PM
I still don't get the Braveheart one. I didn't think there was anything cheesy in that flick.

I thought there was some cheese in it, personally. The FREEDOMM!!!! line struck me as cheesy when I saw it.

bobbything
12-07-2004, 03:35 PM
Bill Pullman's limited role in "Igby Goes Down" was pretty decent. Probably because he was cast as a character who loses his mind and ends up a vegetable.

Served him well.

Demonpenz
12-07-2004, 03:39 PM
I am amazed at your ability to show up.

Otis Day
12-07-2004, 04:17 PM
The worst without a doubt, from Roadhouse:

when Dalton was being stitched up - "pain don't hurt"

gblowfish
12-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Speaking of "Titanic" being cheezy, my all time favorite movie review in the KC Star. You know, where they line up what's playing that week and give a sentence or two to describe the movie? For "Titanic' they described it as "glub glub glub."

LTownChief
12-07-2004, 04:57 PM
I think #1 has to be from Fast and Furious

Vin Diesel:

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time"

that to me, is the worst line in the history of movie making

Dartgod
12-07-2004, 05:01 PM
1-10 should be every single line that Jar-Jar Binks uttered in The Phantom Menace...

"Mesa gettin' very very scared!"

"Ooh moi moi I love you! "

"Hmmm... yousa point is well seen."

"That's why you no liking us meesa thinks. "

"Yoosa should follow me now, okeeday?"

"How wude!"

And on, and on, and on, and on.....

BigVE
12-07-2004, 05:08 PM
I didnt go thru all the posts so far but when I first heard this list on the radio this morning the ONE line I thought of immediately was from a show I never saw, it "starred" Vanilla Ice back when he was semi-famous. There was a clip of it shown on VH-1 awhile back on I love the 80's...anyways, the line is "why get with a ZERO when you can get with a HERO?" He should have been shot for even attempting to make ANY movie and the directors who thought that it was a good idea to have HIM star in the movie should never be allowed to make another movie again...ever.:cuss:

Miles
12-07-2004, 05:13 PM
At the end of the first Matrix:

"So you see, you can't be dead. You can't be... because I love you. You hear me? I love you."

That bit of dialog almost wrecks the end of the movie.

Baby Lee
12-07-2004, 05:15 PM
I didnt go thru all the posts so far but when I first heard this list on the radio this morning the ONE line I thought of immediately was from a show I never saw, it "starred" Vanilla Ice back when he was semi-famous. There was a clip of it shown on VH-1 awhile back on I love the 80's...anyways, the line is "why get with a ZERO when you can get with a HERO?" He should have been shot for even attempting to make ANY movie and the directors who thought that it was a good idea to have HIM star in the movie should never be allowed to make another movie again...ever.:cuss:
How Do You Melt A Girl's Heart Of Stone? Just Add Ice.

BTW - the director didn't work again for like 8 years.

Rain Man
12-07-2004, 05:17 PM
1-10 should be every single line that Jar-Jar Binks uttered in The Phantom Menace...

"Mesa gettin' very very scared!"

"Ooh moi moi I love you! "

"Hmmm... yousa point is well seen."

"That's why you no liking us meesa thinks. "

"Yoosa should follow me now, okeeday?"

"How wude!"

And on, and on, and on, and on.....

Compelling argument.

Was that the movie where he had his tongue out at the table trying to eat some fruit, and Liam Neeson (or whomever) reached out and grabbed it? I thought it displayed an incredible lack of interspecies cultural sensitivity on Neeson's (or whomever's) part to do that. Maybe it was rude for humans, but it could have been incredibly polite and proper on JarJar Binks' world.

CanadaKC
12-07-2004, 06:43 PM
I aways thought Jesse Ventura's line in "Predator" was hilariously cheesy..."I don't have time to bleed"

mcan
12-07-2004, 08:35 PM
The whole climactic "cry yourself silly" scene at the end of "StepMom" is like the worst cheezy moment in movie history...

Of course "The Patriot" had a couple as well...

(shot of Mel Gibson riding horseback with flag waving as he rejoins the troups)

(Chris Cooper's line "Stay the course!" as he tries to convince Mel to fight).

Fire Me Boy!
12-07-2004, 10:34 PM
At the end of the first Matrix:

"So you see, you can't be dead. You can't be... because I love you. You hear me? I love you."

That bit of dialog almost wrecks the end of the movie.
What about 2, when Neo tells her she can't die "because I love you too damn much."

I laughed out loud.

Hammock Parties
12-07-2004, 10:41 PM
Arnie in Predator:

"Steeck around."

Hammock Parties
12-07-2004, 10:43 PM
*Luke,I am your father*

lame.

Kindly off yourself.

Miles
12-07-2004, 10:44 PM
What about 2, when Neo tells her she can't die "because I love you too damn much."

I laughed out loud.

ROFL Yeah that was horrible. Though I was more disapointed in the cheesy line in the first because it was otherwise a really good movie.

Jenson71
12-07-2004, 10:44 PM
The whole climactic "cry yourself silly" scene at the end of "StepMom" is like the worst cheezy moment in movie history...

I agree. And I still cried.

Hammock Parties
12-07-2004, 10:45 PM
ROFL Yeah that was horrible. Though I was more disapointed in the cheesy line in the first because it was otherwise a really good movie.

OK, so has there ever been a good line in movie history where one character expresses his or her love for someone else?

el borracho
12-07-2004, 10:47 PM
OK, so has there ever been a good line in movie history where one character expresses his or her love for someone else?
Debbie does Dallas comes close... but no.

(just kidding. I've never seen Debbie Does Dallas)

Hammock Parties
12-07-2004, 10:47 PM
Debbie does Dallas comes close... but no.

(just kidding. I've never seen Debbie Does Dallas)

I've seen the remake.

el borracho
12-07-2004, 10:51 PM
By the way, isn't the response to the dialogue in #5 even worse?

Valerie Kilmer: You can be my wingman, anytime.

Tommy Cruise: No... You can be mine.

Miles
12-07-2004, 10:56 PM
By the way, isn't the response to the dialogue in #5 even worse?

Valerie Kilmer: You can be my wingman, anytime.

Tommy Cruise: No... You can be mine.

From Maddox:

Nzoner
12-07-2004, 11:06 PM
Haha. You just corrected someone on a Cool As Ice quote.

I can't believe that less than 25 posts in 3 people here have seen the vanilla Ice movie.

InChiefsHeaven
12-08-2004, 05:44 PM
It's a Wonderful Life is supposed to be cheesy. It was made in a time when acting meant not being realistic, but you know, acting...

...yes. I liked that movie alot. Also any old Humphery Bogart flick. Totally overdone acting was the order of the day. I'd love to see it come back, but I guess we are all too into reality these days...

Rausch
12-08-2004, 05:49 PM
I think #1 has to be from Fast and Furious

Vin Diesel:

"I live my life a quarter mile at a time"

that to me, is the worst line in the history of movie making

I love cheesy movies and low budget flicks (stuff you'd see on MST getting mocked) but Teenage Caveman was the worst 2 hours of my life...

It was like a kid with a camera and 3 lbs of coke just got his rich friends together and starting shooting...

Jenson71
12-08-2004, 05:54 PM
It's a Wonderful Life is supposed to be cheesy. It was made in a time when acting meant not being realistic, but you know, acting...

...yes. I liked that movie alot. Also any old Humphery Bogart flick. Totally overdone acting was the order of the day. I'd love to see it come back, but I guess we are all too into reality these days...

Brando's method acting pretty much revolutionized it all. Compare actors before and after. Pretty different.

Calcountry
12-08-2004, 05:56 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=529&ncid=529&e=3&u=/ap/20041206/ap_en_mo/people_cheesy_movie_lines
Shoulda been a poll?

Rain Man
12-08-2004, 06:04 PM
Also any old Humphery Bogart flick. Totally overdone acting was the order of the day. I'd love to see it come back, but I guess we are all too into reality these days...

My theory is that most or all of the actors in old movies were really stage actors. They were always using their big stage voices and exaggerated stage moves, and "movie acting" hadn't evolved yet.