PDA

View Full Version : A potential new ongoing thread: Stupid Athlete Quotes.

Rain Man
12-07-2004, 02:14 PM
Maybe we should have a "I've got to feed my family" subcategory on this, but here goes.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3225268

Sprewell allegedly made comments to female
Story Tools: Print Email
Associated Press
Posted: 2 hours ago

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - The NBA is reviewing comments Timberwolves swingman Latrell Sprewell allegedly made to a heckler during Minnesota's overtime victory Saturday over the Los Angeles Clippers, according to a newspaper report.

Photo gallery ...
NBA hot shots

Sprewell responded to the female heckler with a sexually vulgar term, the Star Tribune of Minneapolis reported in its Tuesday editions.

The comment was apparently picked up by a courtside microphone and was broadcast by Los Angeles television station KTLA and by the Timberwolves' broadcast on KSTC television in Minnesota.

Tim Frank, vice president of basketball communications for the NBA, said league senior vice president Stu Jackson was reviewing the tape. A decision on possible punishment was unlikely before Tuesday.

A spokesman for the Timberwolves said the team had no comment.

KTLA-TV general manager Vincent Malcolm told the Star Tribune that the station had received as many as 15 complaints and will institute a seven-second delay in the future.

The incident is the latest controversy for Sprewell. Last month, he received a misdemeanor citation after arguing with a police officer during a traffic stop. Sprewell, who was a passenger in the vehicle, claimed he was treated unfairly.

The 34-year-old Sprewell also demand ed that the Timberwolves either extend his contract or trade him, saying, "I've got my family to feed." The comment by Sprewell, who will make $14.6 million this season in the final year of his deal, drew criticism from NBA commissioner David Stern.

MichaelH
12-07-2004, 02:17 PM
"I've got my family to feed."

I have a very hard time believing he said that , exactly.

Bob Dole
12-07-2004, 02:17 PM
Any such list must contain that Grbac quote about his receiving shortcomings.

Megbert
12-07-2004, 02:18 PM
I'd have to go with just about anything marbled mouthed Michael 'Playmaker' Irvin sez on Sunday Night Countdown. Sorry don't have a specific quote in mind, some would take multiple listenings just to understand it all.

shakesthecat
12-07-2004, 02:20 PM
I have a very hard time believing he said that , exactly.

Why?

What as Spree ever done to make you think he isn't a complete moron?

Rain Man
12-07-2004, 02:20 PM
I liked this one by LeBron James, too. It's a twofer.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/cavaliers/2004-12-06-james-china_x.htm

China bans Nike commercial as insult to national dignity

By Audra Ang, The Associated Press

BEIJING — China has banned a Nike television commercial showing Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James in a battle with an animated cartoon kung fu master, saying the ad insults Chinese national dignity.
The commercial, titled "Chamber of Fear," was broadcast on local Chinese stations and on state television's national sports channel before being pulled last month. It shows James, the Cleveland Cavaliers' reigning NBA rookie of the year, in a video game-style setting defeating the kung fu master, two women in traditional Chinese attire and a pair of dragons, considered a sacred symbol in traditional Chinese culture.

The advertisement "violates regulations that mandate that all advertisements in China should uphold national dignity and interest and respect the motherland's culture," the State Administration for Radio, Film and Television said on a statement posted Monday on its Web site.

"It also goes against rules that require ads not to contain content that blasphemes national practices and cultures."

The statement added: "The ad has received an indignant response from Chinese viewers."

It did not say why the advertisement was considered offensive. But communist officials are sensitive about the use of Chinese cultural symbols by Westerners, and might have been especially angered that the Nike advertisement showed the foreigner winning the fight.

James and Nike based the ads for the 19-year-old's Air Zoom LeBron II sneakers on films featuring martial arts icon Bruce Lee. James, who is a fan of Lee's work, said he was sorry that some found the ads offensive.

"It was never intended to hurt anybody or any culture or anything like that" James said following practice in Cleveland on Monday. "We put the ads together basically for kids."

James said Asian reporters told him they liked the commercials. He was disappointed they were pulled and will prevent some of his fans from seeing him.

"That's big. I need as much fans as I can get," he said.

James, who signed a seven-year, $90 million endorsement deal with Nike shortly before turning pro, hopes to have things patched up with his Chinese fans in time for the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

"I'll be there in 2008, so maybe they'll love me a little more when I get there," said James, who played for the U.S. Olympic team this summer in Athens.

On Monday, James filmed a commercial for Bubblicious gum. His signature brand of the gum will be on the market next month.

Maurice Zhou, a spokesman in Shanghai for Beaverton, Oregon-based Nike Inc. said the company had no response except to say that it "respected the government's decision."

"We respect and follow the Chinese government's laws and regulations," Zhou said. He said he could not elaborate.

The Chinese television regulator tightened controls over programming in May by prohibiting the use of English words and imported programs that promote "Western ideology and politics."

The Nike advertisement is part of fast-growing foreign efforts to cash in on the huge popularity of basketball in China and the celebrity of James and other NBA players.

Last month, a series of Nike ads in Singapore designed to resemble graffiti stirred emotions in the Asian nation known for its attention to cleanliness and civic order.

The small, page-size posters featuring anime-style images of James were pasted over the ad panels of 700 bus stops, shocking commuters who were used to the ultratidy shelters. At least 50 commuters complained, shelter officials said.

Baby Lee
12-07-2004, 02:21 PM
There is that one classic list out. The NC State BBer talking about dribbling with the left AND right hands because he was 'amphibious' was one of them.

Ultra Peanut
12-07-2004, 02:26 PM
China bans Nike commercial as insult to national dignity

By Audra Ang, The Associated Press

BEIJING — China has banned a Nike television commercial showing Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James in a battle with an animated cartoon kung fu master, saying the ad insults Chinese national dignity.
The commercial, titled "Chamber of Fear," was broadcast on local Chinese stations and on state television's national sports channel before being pulled last month. It shows James, the Cleveland Cavaliers' reigning NBA rookie of the year, in a video game-style setting defeating the kung fu master, two women in traditional Chinese attire and a pair of dragons, considered a sacred symbol in traditional Chinese culture.

The advertisement "violates regulations that mandate that all advertisements in China should uphold national dignity and interest and respect the motherland's culture," the State Administration for Radio, Film and Television said on a statement posted Monday on its Web site.

"It also goes against rules that require ads not to contain content that blasphemes national practices and cultures."

The statement added: "The ad has received an indignant response from Chinese viewers." Wow. And I thought the FCC was uptight.

I wonder how that Virgin Mobile Chrismahanukwanzakah ad would go over there?

There is that one classic list out. The NC State BBer talking about dribbling with the left AND right hands because he was 'amphibious' was one of them.The one I can remember from memory is, "Coach treats us like men. He lets us wear earrings." - Torrin Polk, University of Houston receiver, 1991

Ultra Peanut
12-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Why is this a problem?Because people are all a bunch of gashes, pussies, and cunts nowadays.

Ultra Peanut
12-07-2004, 02:27 PM
Holy shit, the c-bomb isn't filtered?

MichaelH
12-07-2004, 02:28 PM
Holy shit, the c-bomb isn't filtered?
ROFL

Ultra Peanut
12-07-2004, 02:32 PM
It used to be.That's why I was taken aback.

Rain Man
12-07-2004, 02:33 PM
And it was taken off because...First Amendment issues?

Skip Towne
12-07-2004, 02:36 PM

Baby Lee
12-07-2004, 02:36 PM
And it was taken off because...First Amendment issues?
The '04 season has merited liberalization of our rant vocabulary.

Skip Towne
12-07-2004, 02:38 PM
It was filtered for me.

Ultra Peanut
12-07-2004, 02:39 PM
Maybe some twat complained.Bo selectah.

cadmonkey
12-07-2004, 02:48 PM
That is exactly what Ty Law said over the off season about wanting more money from the Patriots.

Soupnazi
12-07-2004, 02:50 PM
"I'll always remember this as the night Michael and I combined to score 70 points." -Stacey King- After Michael Jordan had scored a play-off record 69 points.

Soupnazi
12-07-2004, 02:53 PM
Virginia safety Marquis Weeks after scoring a 100-yard kickoff return:"That was just instinct. Kind of like running from the cops."

Lightning Rod
12-07-2004, 02:56 PM
“They shouldn’t throw at me. I’m the father of five or six kids.”

-- Baseball player Tito Fuentes, after getting hit by a pitch.

jiveturkey
12-07-2004, 02:57 PM
Virginia safety Marquis Weeks after scoring a 100-yard kickoff return:"That was just instinct. Kind of like running from the cops."I hope we draft this guy.

Rain Man
12-07-2004, 02:57 PM
Ty Law went with the single man's variation of the Sprewell remark.

http://www.townonline.com/hanover/news/opinion/han_colhathornton06232004.htm

Getting away with stupid remarks

By Jerry Thornton / Sidelines
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

"I don't feel comfortable in this place. If people think it can just be resolved with money, it can't."- Ty Law, March 2004.

"This is home for me. I'm a Patriot and I'm glad to be. I would love to play here and retire as a Patriot."- Ty Law, June 2004.

It's great to be a professional athlete. You get paid dump trucks of money to play a kid's game and everything that goes with it: fame, adulation, endorsement deals, and the best of anything that money can buy.

Of course anyone who is rich and famous enjoys these privileges, whether or not they contribute anything to society. Author F. Scott Fitzgerald said "The rich are different from you and me." G.B. Shaw replied, "The rich are different; they have more money."

Being a pro ballplayer however gives you the ability to do one thing no one else can don- say really stupid things in public and get away with it. New England Patriot Ty Law is the highest paid player ever to play his position in the NFL and the highest paid player in the franchise's history. Several months ago, Law demanded a pay raise and said, "A man's gotta eat." He said publicly that the team's new contract offer was an insult. He also declared Patriot coach Bill Belichick, "supports his family by lying."

This wasn't some offhand comment made while in a bad mood, or having some barroom conversation with his friends over a glass of liquid courage. Law went to every media outlet except the Auto Hunter and said these things repeatedly. With each interview, his rhetoric got harsher. In a few weeks he was accusing his employers of being responsible for everything but the movie Soul Plane.

When Law joined the team for its mini-camp last week, the media expected the controversy would be the big story of the week. But there was nothing. Law and Belichick both acted as if nothing happened. There were no fireworks, not even sparks. There were no knives drawn. Both sides acted like a pair of 8- year -olds after a playground brawl. "Fight? What fight?"

The official explanation is that Belichick and Law had a man-to-man talk, cleared the air, came to a mutual understanding like mature adults and shook hands. Law of course, isn't the only one to act foolishly. In the NBA playoffs, Minnesota TimberWolves center Kevin Garnett compared a playoff game against Sacramento to preparing for war. He then ranted on for a full minute listing the weapons he was accumulating for the battle. This was no offhand remark. His speech was as prepared and rehearsed as a college nerd reciting Monty Python's "Parrot Sketch." Apparently, it didn't occur to Garnett, that a nation exhausted from putting its heroes into graves isn't interested in war metaphors from 23-year olds who make millions putting a ball through a hoop. The next day he offered an apology that must have been written by a lawyer, because it was as sincere as the 10th grade paper I wrote about F. Scott Fitzgerald. So why do 'Wolves fans forgive him? Because he went out and led his team to a series clinching win with 32 points and 21 rebounds.

Being able to get away with saying stupid things applies to anyone in the sports world, not just the players. Last week, Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells, the serial job-quitter, made some racially charged comments at a press conference. Parcells figured he'd avoid a controversy by prefacing his remarks with "no disrespect intended to anyone, but..." He found out later that people regarded his using the word "Jap" to describe sneaky plays was, to his surprise, disrespectful. So why has the controversy blown over so quickly after such a tactless and stupid public comment? It wasn't Parcells's apology, which made Garnett's sound like Hamlet. It was the fact that the Cowboys won five games the season before Parcells was hired, and clinched a playoff spot last season with him at the helm. That's all the apology Cowboys fans needed.

Believe me, I know all about saying regrettable things. I'm the East Coast distributor of Stupid Comments. But I'm not the athlete Ty Law is, so I have to live with the things I say. Apologies don't work. "No disrespect..." doesn't work. (Sometimes I can bail out by saying "per se." As in "Boss, you're and idiot. Well, you're not an idiot per se.") But I'm working on my golf game. If I could ever turn pro, I've got some dumb remarks I'd like to share.

Rain Man
12-07-2004, 02:58 PM
"I'll always remember this as the night Michael and I combined to score 70 points." -Stacey King- After Michael Jordan had scored a play-off record 69 points.

ROFL

jspchief
12-07-2004, 02:59 PM

That's not stupid. That's classic. If he really said that, I need to go out and get my retro King jersey.

Soupnazi
12-07-2004, 03:01 PM
"I can't really remember the names of the clubs that we went to."
-Shaquille O'Neal on whether he had visited the Parthenon during his visit to Greece

jspchief
12-07-2004, 03:04 PM
Kids are great. That's one of the best things about our business, all the kids you get to meet. It's a shame they have to grow up to be regular people and come to the games and call you names.

Charles Barkley

jspchief
12-07-2004, 03:09 PM
"I don't think there's anybody in this organization not focused on the 49ers... I mean Chargers."
-Bill Belichick

jspchief
12-07-2004, 03:11 PM
"Sure there have been injuries and deaths in boxing - but none of them serious"
-Alan Minter

big nasty kcnut
12-07-2004, 03:23 PM
I'm a fuking soldja. kellon loser bitch winslow jr.