PDA

View Full Version : A draft board of current Chiefs.

Rain Man
12-08-2004, 02:57 PM
Imagine that the NFL collapses at the end of this season, and all of the players in the NFL are available and looking for work. Jumping on the opportunity, you're starting a new team in a new 12-team league. There are no salary issues to think about, just players and their positions, ages, and abilities.

The league has specified that each round of their draft will come from a different former NFL team. The first round will be comprised only of players on the Chiefs roster in 2003.

You don't know where you're going to draft, so you have to put together a draft board of 12 Chiefs. What's your draft board?

Mine would be:

1. Trent Green (He rises to the top of the board. He's got three of four years left, and can then be a wily backup. QB is an important position.)

2. Priest Holmes (Injuries, over 30, but still - kickbutt halfback is the best on the board other than QB)

3. Tony Gonzalez (Still has half a dozen years left, but drops down a bit because TE is not an impact position)

4. Brian Waters (Young, fast, rising star. Low-impact position.)

5. Eric Warfield (CB at the peak of his career. Good in run support and playing well.)

6. Dante Hall (Top-notch returner, can be used in offense as well more so than now. Young.)

7. Jared Allen (Young, savvy, on the rise, but not yet proven that he's not a one-year wonder.)

8. Willie Roaf (2 or 3 good years left, hall of famer at high-impact position)

9. Will Shields (2 or 3 good years left, hall of famer at low-impact position)

10. Scott Fujita (Young, athletic. Can be solid with good coaching.)

11. Casey Wiegman (Effective pro at peak of his career.)

12. Greg Wesley (I'd move him to free safety. Young and athletic.)

Apologies to Richardson and Dalton.

As a drafting person, I'd really want to be in the top four picks here. There's a big dropoff in long-term value after #4.

Rain Man
12-08-2004, 03:03 PM
Something that becomes obvious in this exercise is that we don't have young stars. We've got aging stars and we've got young up-and-comers that aren't yet stars (Waters being the sole potential exception.)

MichaelH
12-08-2004, 03:10 PM
Something that becomes obvious in this exercise is that we don't have young stars. We've got aging stars and we've got young up-and-comers that aren't yet stars (Waters being the sole potential exception.)

Herein lies the problem. It's now or never and this year it isn't now. :banghead: :( :shake:

Dartgod
12-08-2004, 03:15 PM
Duh...

1. Rich Scanlon
2. Rich Scanlon
3. Rich Scanlon
4. Rich Scanlon
5. Rich Scanlon
6. Rich Scanlon
7. Rich Scanlon
8. Rich Scanlon
9. Rich Scanlon
10. Rich Scanlon
11. Rich Scanlon
12. Rich Scanlon

big nasty kcnut
12-08-2004, 03:24 PM
1.priest
2.tony g.
3.dante hall
4. marc borigther
5.jared allen
6. monty besiel
7.scott fujita

Rain Man
12-08-2004, 03:28 PM
You would really draft Boerigter before you'd draft Trent Green or any O-lineman, kcnut?

I agree with you that I'm getting more impressed with Monty Beisel. I'd like to see him more in the future, if he could stop getting those celebratory injuries.

Dave Lane
12-08-2004, 03:36 PM
1.priest
2.tony g.
3.dante hall
4. marc borigther
5.jared allen
6. monty besiel
7.scott fujita

OK you are a nut if you leave off Trent!

Dave

big nasty kcnut
12-08-2004, 04:17 PM
well i would already have traded for him and give up my 8th round pick.

Amnorix
12-08-2004, 04:26 PM
Here's what I would do and why:

1. Tony Gonzalez -- the margin of difference between him and a few other elite TEs, and the rest of the TEs in the NFL, is pretty steep. His age, health and history all point to a solid number of years left where he can be highly productive. He is, in a phrase, going to be "more special for longer than most of his peers at his position."

2. Priest Holmes -- the big concern here is that he's either ineffective or out of football within 3 years. He's so damn good, though, that he's hard to ignore. I'll just be sure to grab a young stud later in the draft, if I get Holmes.

3. Roaf -- He's not going to be elite for too much longer, but even if he loses his elite status, he's going to be rock solid for a good 5 more years, with some of those being at a very, very high level. Besides, elite LTs are rare and hard to find.

4. Trent Green -- currently a top 10-12 QB. At this piont in his career, he can manage a game pretty effectively and will help you win alot more than he helps you lose. Too many QBs don't even achieve that level of production.

As for the rest, I'll let you Chiefs diehards balance them out. I will say this -- you are generally consistently overrating Dante Hall. Kick returners are important, but he's a relatively lousy WR at this point in his career, and has shown nothing that suggests he will become a special WR. That makes him an expensive roster spot to keep. I wouldn't go too far out of my way for him.

David.
12-08-2004, 04:28 PM
1) Tony G.
2) Priest
3) Fujita
4) Waters
5) Green
6) Shields
7) Weigmann
8) Warfield
9) Wesley
10) Hall
65) Scanlon

HC_Chief
12-08-2004, 04:30 PM
1) Gonzalez
2) Green
3) Holmes
4) Shields
5) Waters
6) Hall
7) Roaf
8) Wiegman
9) Allen
10) Fujita
11) Gammons
12) Warfield

cdcox
12-08-2004, 04:31 PM
3. Roaf -- He's not going to be elite for too much longer, but even if he loses his elite status, he's going to be rock solid for a good 5 more years, with some of those being at a very, very high level. Besides, elite LTs are rare and hard to find.

Roaf is 34 this season. I don't know too many guys who play either tackle position till they're 40. Within 3 years he will need to move to guard if he wants to continue to play.

big nasty kcnut
12-08-2004, 04:32 PM
Amnorix true but dante defenses honest by doubting him he could burn your corners.

Molitoth
12-08-2004, 04:49 PM
1. Hall (Gives us the best field position during kickoffs in the NFL, can be used at wide-out, can turn the game around at any time.)

2. Shields (Part of the best line to ever exist, any back can run behind him)

3. Roaf (Part of the best line to ever exist, any back can run behind him)

4. Waters (Part of the best line to ever exist, any back can run behind him)

5. Dalton (Has come out and shown he is hungry)

I Wouldn't want any others.

Priest is too old and fragile.
Never have liked TrINT.
Tony G. walks a thin line.