PDA

View Full Version : Do you get the regular xx,000 mile maintenence done on your car?

jAZ
12-09-2004, 03:43 PM
According to AAA, the following mainenance schedule is recommended...

How closely do you follow it?

http://www.csaa.com/global/articledetail/0,8055,1004010301%257C1810,00.html

Maintenance Item -- Mileage or Time
Inspect lights and check tire pressure -- At least monthly
Oil & filter change and chassis lubrication -- 3,000 to 5,000 miles or 3 to 4 months
Underhood belt and hose inspection -- 3,000 to 5,000 miles or 3 to 4 months (every oil change)
Tire rotation and wheel balancing -- 6,000 miles or every other oil change
Brake inspection -- 6,000 miles or every other oil change
Replace air filter -- 12,000 to 24,000 miles or as indicated by inspection
Replace fuel filter -- 24,000 to 100,000 miles
Automatic transmission service -- 24,000 to 100,000 miles
Wheel alignment check -- 12,000 to 24,000 miles or as indicated by tire wear
Cooling system flush and refill -- 40,000 to 100,000 miles
Belt and hose replacement -- 60,000 to 100,000 miles or 5 to 8 years
Engine timing belt replacement -- 60,000 to 100,000 miles (when equipped) or 5 to 8 years
Air conditioning performance check -- Annually, usually in the spring

Saulbadguy
12-09-2004, 03:47 PM
About every 3 months I get the minor things checked because I take my car to a quick oil change place, and they check lots of stuff.

I get my tires rotated every so often.

I just rely on the oil change place to alert me of any problems, or any services I have due. They take care of their customers pretty well, so I trust em.

alpha_omega
12-09-2004, 03:49 PM
Just did the 30k service on my Honda. It was spendy ($300.00), but the peace of mind is worth it!

Radar Chief
12-09-2004, 04:00 PM
I perform all of my own vehicle maintenance but I’m meticulous when it comes to my toys.

Radar Chief
12-09-2004, 04:04 PM
According to AAA, the following mainenance schedule is recommended...

Engine timing belt replacement -- 60,000 to 100,000 miles (when equipped) or 5 to 8 years

For anyone with an overhead cam motor, I’d HIGHLY suggest doing this step at 30 to 50 K Miles instead. It may be a little pricey, but having the timing belt changed more often is still less expensive than rebuilding or replacing the cylinder head, if not the entire motor.

Rain Man
12-09-2004, 04:12 PM
I historically have not, but my wife is stringent about it and so I'll probably do it with my new(er) car.

Actually, let me ask some advice. My car has these lights on the dash. It starts with five lights and drops down to one, which then turns yellow when you're supposed to take the car in. This counts for everything, including changing the oil.

I don't drive much, and when I bought the car (used) it was already down to three lights. I've been driving the car for two years now, and have only put about 4,000 miles on it. The kicker is that the dashboard is still on two lights. About six months ago, I called the dealership and said, "Are you serious about this? It's been 18 months. Shouldn't I be getting the oil changed or something?" and the service manager said, "Nope. Don't bring it in until you get one yellow light."

I'm starting to feel guilty about this. Should I call again or something? The car runs great and the oil is dark, but the oil/car is designed to only have oil changes every 10,000 miles.

Radar Chief
12-09-2004, 04:19 PM
I historically have not, but my wife is stringent about it and so I'll probably do it with my new(er) car.

Actually, let me ask some advice. My car has these lights on the dash. It starts with five lights and drops down to one, which then turns yellow when you're supposed to take the car in. This counts for everything, including changing the oil.

I don't drive much, and when I bought the car (used) it was already down to three lights. I've been driving the car for two years now, and have only put about 4,000 miles on it. The kicker is that the dashboard is still on two lights. About six months ago, I called the dealership and said, "Are you serious about this? It's been 18 months. Shouldn't I be getting the oil changed or something?" and the service manager said, "Nope. Don't bring it in until you get one yellow light."

I'm starting to feel guilty about this. Should I call again or something? The car runs great and the oil is dark, but the oil/car is designed to only have oil changes every 10,000 miles.

This is on that Beemer of yours isn’t it?
My section sergeant in the Army had a Beemer with the same maintenance gauge only he ignored it. When the last light went out, the car stopped on the spot and would start again until a Beemer Tech came out and reset its computer.
Personally, I’d milk every bit of luminance that gauge has to offer, then if the car ever screws up blame BMW for it.

Rain Man
12-09-2004, 04:26 PM
This is on that Beemer of yours isn’t it?
My section sergeant in the Army had a Beemer with the same maintenance gauge only he ignored it. When the last light went out, the car stopped on the spot and would start again until a Beemer Tech came out and reset its computer.
Personally, I’d milk every bit of luminance that gauge has to offer, then if the car ever screws up blame BMW for it.

Yeah, it's the Beemer. I've spent a grand total of $14 in maintenance (planned and unplanned) in two years. The $14 was to repair a tire that caught a nail. I'm feeling antsy like I'm ignoring it or something, but man, it just runs like a champ.*

That's weird that the car went to sleep like that.

* Not Champ Bailey.

Radar Chief
12-09-2004, 04:30 PM
Yeah, it's the Beemer. I've spent a grand total of $14 in maintenance (planned and unplanned) in two years. The $14 was to repair a tire that caught a nail. I'm feeling antsy like I'm ignoring it or something, but man, it just runs like a champ.*

* Not Champ Bailey.

As it was explained to me that’s to ensure certified Beemer techs are doing the work.

Radar Chief
12-09-2004, 04:32 PM

* Not Champ Bailey.

I wouldn’t be too worried ‘bout it. Time doesn’t break down oil, heat and friction do.

Bwana
12-09-2004, 05:01 PM
Some of that stuff is B.S. as far as when they claim it needs to be done and when it really needs to be done. When it REALLY needs to be done, I do it myself.

Rain Man
12-09-2004, 05:05 PM
Some of that stuff is B.S. as far as when they claim it needs to be done and when it really needs to be done. When it REALLY needs to be done, I do it myself.

I don't need some market research hack telling me about cars.

Bwana
12-09-2004, 05:21 PM
I don't need some market research hack telling me about cars.

ROFL

Logical
12-09-2004, 05:35 PM

Wow at first I thought you were joking. If you were this is an elaborate effort even for Rain Man.

Rain Man
12-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Wow at first I thought you were joking. If you were this is an elaborate effort even for Rain Man.

I never joke about the Beemer.

Logical
12-09-2004, 05:40 PM
4000 miles in two years, I hope you are letting your insurance agent know. You know you can get a pretty good discount for such low mileage usage?

Rain Man
12-09-2004, 05:49 PM
4000 miles in two years, I hope you are letting your insurance agent know. You know you can get a pretty good discount for such low mileage usage?

Yeah, but they've got a floor of something like 5,000 miles per year. Nonetheless, my insurance on the BMW is only $10 a month more than it cost for my 1987 Fiero. I think that had a lot to do with the airbags and anti-lock brakes and side airbags and stuff.

2bikemike
12-09-2004, 06:13 PM
On my Bikes I pretty much keep to the recommended service intervals. Which means this weekend I will be maintaining my bike. (Oil, Transmission fluid and Primary fluid will be changed. Adjust the clutch and lube all the cables. Clean my air filter and give it a good once over.)

On the cars I change the oil every 5k and then take it down to Endelts favorite tire shop for a rotation. Everything else I do as needed or when I think it needs done.

I need to go get all the cars radiators flushed and transmission fluids changed. My wife and daughters cars both should probably have the timing belts replaced.

Radar Chief
12-10-2004, 07:46 AM
Rain Man, some things I was thinking about last night was that I assume you garage you car? Even so, it wouldn’t hurt to pop the hood and have a look at the belts and hoses for cracking. Considering your car is fairly new, I’d assume this wouldn’t be a problem but it never hurts to look.
Also, since you’re only driving 4K miles a year, does your car ever sit for more than a month at a time? If so, go buy some Sta-Bil and add it to the gas tank in recommended doses. Because of a bunch of overly whiny hippies that care more about feeling like they’ve done something than any actual science, oil companies are forced to include a bunch of bullshit additives that will cause your gas to begin separating if it sits for more than a month or so at a time. Sta-Bil will cure this and has no adverse effects on any of the fuel or exhaust systems.

MichaelH
12-10-2004, 08:04 AM
Ever since I've been fortunate enough to buy a new vehicle, I follow the maintenence schedule closely. I spent a day trapped on the side of I-81 in the middle of nowhere in Virginia one time with my old vehicle, it won't happen again.

Pants
12-10-2004, 08:32 AM
What kind of a BMW do you have, RM? 325?

Radar Chief
12-10-2004, 08:56 AM

A 300 series?! I’d be insulted if I were you Rain Man. :harumph:

jiveturkey
12-10-2004, 09:12 AM
I do a majority of the preventive maint on the two Toyota's in our household and I go over everything when I have them on jacks with the hood up. I also try to use the best filters and lubricants and stick with the synthetic oils.

I'm a big fan of the Lucas products.

Radar Chief
12-10-2004, 09:30 AM
stick with the synthetic oils.

I'm a big fan of the Lucas products.

Preach’n to the choir, JT.
What’s your preference on oil anyway?

jiveturkey
12-10-2004, 09:33 AM
Preach’n to the choir, JT.
What’s your preference on oil anyway?I usually use Mobile 1 because I can get it by the case at Costco.

Radar Chief
12-10-2004, 09:47 AM
I usually use Mobile 1 because I can get it by the case at Costco.

Mobil 1 is good stuff, just started using it in my scoot and may completely switch to it from Amsoil in all our vehicles.

jiveturkey
12-10-2004, 09:52 AM
Every other oil change I supplement the Mobile 1 with a quart of Lucas oil additive. I'm trying to buy a case of that stuff along with the fuel and automatic transmission additives made by Lucas.

Rain Man
12-10-2004, 09:59 AM
Rain Man, some things I was thinking about last night was that I assume you garage you car? Even so, it wouldn’t hurt to pop the hood and have a look at the belts and hoses for cracking. Considering your car is fairly new, I’d assume this wouldn’t be a problem but it never hurts to look.
Also, since you’re only driving 4K miles a year, does your car ever sit for more than a month at a time? If so, go buy some Sta-Bil and add it to the gas tank in recommended doses. Because of a bunch of overly whiny hippies that care more about feeling like they’ve done something than any actual science, oil companies are forced to include a bunch of bullshit additives that will cause your gas to begin separating if it sits for more than a month or so at a time. Sta-Bil will cure this and has no adverse effects on any of the fuel or exhaust systems.

Cool. Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I've got a garage, and it usually never sits for more than two weeks. I usually drive it on weekends, but seldom for more than a few miles, so the mileage just doesn't add up. I'll check out this Sta-Bil stuff.

Rain Man
12-10-2004, 10:10 AM

A 300 series?! I’d be insulted if I were you Rain Man. :harumph:

No kidding. What, do I look like a German grandmother, metrolike? I've got a Z3. It's apricot.

Radar Chief
12-10-2004, 10:19 AM
Cool. Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I've got a garage, and it usually never sits for more than two weeks. I usually drive it on weekends, but seldom for more than a few miles, so the mileage just doesn't add up. I'll check out this Sta-Bil stuff.

Hey, no problem. Sounds like your driving around enough that you probably don’t need to worry ‘bout it, it’s only a concern if the same gas sits in the tank for over a month.