PDA

View Full Version : DV 12/9

Wile_E_Coyote
12-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Q&A with Dick Vermeil

Dec 09, 2004, 5:32:22 PM

Q: Talk about the decision to put Priest Holmes on injured reserve ending his season.

DICK VERMEIL: “We all know what his problem is, but the rehab is taking longer and with the season only four weeks to go and Priest feeling the pressure to get ready to play and wanting to play – and he might not have been able to start practicing until maybe the last week – it just made sense to take the pressure off and get it defined in him what he has to do and that’s get ready to play next year.”

Q: When did you realize when he was going to have to go on IR?

VERMEIL: “I started thinking about it really at the end of last week, when at the end of four weeks of rehab he still was a long ways away from practicing. Usually when you’ve been out for four weeks as a running back with a knee injury it takes a while to develop the confidence you need. By that time the season would be over and I just felt that would be the best, as the organization did, thing to do. It would be the best thing to do for Priest Holmes and his future.”

Q: Do you expect him to be 100% for next season?

VERMEIL: “Oh yeah, I think he’ll be 100% within a month, or two months at the most. Just like Billy Baber who injured his knee in the same way at training camp. It took him 10-12 weeks and his knee we thought was a little more serious than Priest, but he’s 100% now. I think Priest will be a 100% within a month.”

Q: Did you talk to Priest and does he realize this is best, to go on IR I mean?

VERMEIL: “Priest knows his body and what’s going on better than any athlete that I’ve been around. Every time he’s been banged up he’s given me an accurate time schedule as to when he’d be ready to go and he was always right. He was concerned and felt he was behind the rehab schedule. It wasn’t coming around as fast as he had hoped or as we thought it would. We had a good meeting this week.”

Q: He was on pace to have a really monster year. How disappointed was he?

VERMEIL: “Well, I think he knew or has known for the last couple of weeks that it wasn’t going to happen. But he was on pace to have a great year. I think there were a couple of times there that he could have had the 200 yard rushing game. We had some opportunities. But he’ll look forward to that next year.”

Q: Is Derrick Blaylock your starter for the rest of the season?

VERMEIL: “Right now, Derrick Blaylock is our starter and we’ll remain using the same approach as to Larry (Johnson) and let ‘em both play.”

Q: You like to go with a single running back.

VERMEIL: “I would prefer, but it’s easier to go with two guys as you find out how good both of them are, rather than you already know how good somebody is like Priest Holmes. Now we have a chance to watch both of these players grow.”

Q: Will Priest need any kind of surgery?

VERMEIL: “No, he will not need any kind of surgery.”

Q: Losing Priest Holmes is never a positive but is it a positive to clarify your backup running back situation going into the off-season?

VERMEIL: “I think it just took pressure off Priest. Priest was really depressed for the first eight or ten days after the injury. He was really down. In bothered him and then he started getting a little hope that he could make it back and we were all hoping he would be able to do it.

Then it became pretty obvious over the last week or so that it didn’t look like he was going to make it back. Then there was some idea that he could practice in two weeks with a brace on his knee and all that, but we weren’t going to do that with Priest Holmes. So, this was the best approach, the sound approach for his future and the Kansas City Chiefs future.”

Q: Would this have played out any differently if you guys were 8-4 and fighting for a playoff spot?

VERMEIL: “Well, if we were going to the playoffs that gives you a couple more weeks of rehab and chances he’d still remain on the active roster.”

Q: A column on the Chiefs web site about radio talk that….

VERMEIL: “I’ve never seen a web site in my life.”

Q: It talks about people having soft beds, no work and women with voluptuous figures.

VERMEIL: “Sounds like they have good taste.”

Q: It was on your web site under Rufus Dawes.

VERMEIL: “I have no clue. He has a sense of humor. You can’t over-react to everything.”

Q: Was Trent Green just taking a day off today?

VERMEIL: “His back was a little sore and it carried over. Remember, he missed Wednesday and Thursday of last week. He took the day off. I’m not sure how we’ll do it tomorrow.”

Q: Priest has talked about retirement before, I don’t know how seriously or not. Are you 100% confident that he will come back?

VERMEIL: “Well, he’s never mentioned it to me. I know how depressed he was when he couldn’t play. I know he’s said that now that he couldn’t play he realized how much he really wanted to play. Those are terms that don’t relate to retirement.”

Q: Will he remain in Kansas City or go back to Texas?

VERMEIL: “We’ll take care of the rehab right here.”

Q: Did Will Shields practice today?

VERMEIL: “Will Shields has the ankle but I think he’ll be OK. Greg Wesley did not practice and Jerome Woods did not practice. Monty Beisel practiced.”

Q: How did he look?

VERMEIL: “He looked good. He got tired; he hadn’t worked in a long time. I expect him to play. Junior Siavii had a very good practice today. He’s healthy and looked good.”

Q: What about Kris Wilson? Will he play Monday?

VERMEIL: “We were talking about it but halfway through the practice he had to slow down and stop because his ankle started bothering him, so there’s some carry-over to the second injury he had a couple of weeks ago.”

Q: How does Jordan Black look?

VERMEIL: “He’s a young player with a lot of athletic talent and is going to get thrown to the wolves. He did a pretty good job in the game the other day considering he was working at left tackle and guard and not right tackle. But there’s still a chance that (Chris) Bober will play.”

Saulbadguy
12-09-2004, 05:48 PM
Vermeil has never seen a website? WTF?

Wile_E_Coyote
12-09-2004, 05:50 PM
Q&A TE Tony Gonzalez

Dec 09, 2004, 4:39:16 PM

TENNESSEE CONFERENCE CALL
Q: Are you excited to play on Monday Night Football?

GONZALEZ: “Every time you get to step on the field it’s exciting, but Monday is when everyone gets to see you. I’m excited about it. I don’t care about the records or playoffs or anything, I play every game to my fullest and I expect my teammates to do it and I know Tennessee is going to come out hard. I’m looking forward to it.”

Q: Do you think the flexible scheduling concept where ABC might be able to switch games during the season to get better match-ups for Monday Night Football is a good idea?

GONZALEZ: “I think it probably makes sense. I kind of agree with it. The fans want to see (a good match-up). Monday night is the main football game of the week, so the fans want to see the best teams go against each other. I’m not opposed to it.”

Q: You’ve been one of the pioneers for pass-catching tight ends. How does it feel to be involved in that change?

GONZALEZ: “I don’t know if I had that much to do with it. I think guys like Shannon Sharpe, Kellen Winslow, that’s the mold, especially when I came into the league, that’s who I wanted to emulate. If they want to say I’ve been part of that pioneering, I guess, that’s flattering. I take satisfaction out of it. The thing is, I’m only 28. I’m not that old yet. I still have a lot of football left in me.”

Q: How do you think you compare with some of the other great tight ends?

GONZALEZ: “I came in when I was 20 years old basically. So, any time you can challenge the best tight end ever Kellen Winslow with his numbers, I take great satisfaction in that. At the same time I realize I have a long way to go and I really don’t base my career on what other guys have done, I want to see how good I can be. I’m just riding it right now. It’s a dream come true for me to be here. I just have to take care of myself and try to add a few more years to my career.”

Q: What are your feelings about your alma mater Cal getting left out of the BCS this season?

GONZALEZ: “Cal got screwed in that whole deal. The BCS doesn’t make sense; it hasn’t made sense in awhile. They need to go to a playoff system; it would just make things easier. They would still make money. I think it comes down to money. They have to figure out how to put a playoff system in there and make a lot of money. Hopefully they can do that soon.”

Q: Your thoughts on Cal retaining the services of head coach Jeff Tedford with a long-term contract?

GONZALEZ: “Actually, I was surprised by that. I didn’t think they were going to put up the money. They’ve had some great coaches there before but they haven’t paid them. I think finally they realized what a winning program can do for a college. I’m glad that they kept him.”

Q: What’s your position on the whole chop-block debate?

GONZALEZ: “Chop block debate? I’m not too familiar with it. Just the regular chop blocks that go on? That’s cheating. Any team that does that, that’s cheap. I don’t care if it’s the Kansas City Chiefs or the Denver Broncos or someone else. A chop block is dirty football as far as I’m concerned and it’s not fair. There’s a lot of other rules I’d like to see changed, too, but that’s not a good rule.”

Q: Does having a basketball background help a tight end?

GONZALEZ: “I think so. It makes sense. You see what it’s done as far as I’m concerned and (San Diego TE Antonio) Gates is concerned. And a lot of these tight ends in the league do have basketball experience, at least through high school maybe a little bit even in college. I know (TE) Kris Wilson, a young draftee on our team, says he plays basketball and he says he’s pretty good – I can’t wait to test him out in the off-season. I think basketball carries over so much to football: right hand, left hand coordination, stop and go. Any time you get a guy with a big frame and has that type of athleticism through playing basketball, it just carries over to the football field so well, that’s what you’re seeing with Gates.”

Q: What has your experience been like playing for Dick Vermeil?

GONZALEZ: “It’s been great. That first year I was just really trying to know him and see what he’s all about. You see him come in and you see the crying and all that stuff and at first you really don’t know what to expect, like I said, I was just feeling him out. Over the years I’ve grown to really love this guy. He’s honest. He’ll tell it like it is. He opens up his home, whether you’re a superstar or a practice squad player. He keeps in touch with former players. Guys they do cut, he tries to find them jobs around the league. He’s a total package when it comes to a coach; I think he’s the best you can get.”

Q: Are you looking forward to the challenge of going up against the Tennessee defense?

GONZALEZ: “Yeah, I’m looking forward to it. I don’t know if you guys saw last week, but I’m not looking forward to it if they double or triple-team me. But if the defense holds true to what I saw on film we should be able to make some plays. Part of our concern, Monday Night Football you never know what to expect, especially with the Tennessee Titans defense. They’ve got a guy named (LB) Keith Bulluck over there. I’m looking forward to a good challenge this week.”

Q: Do you think you and Keith will match up a lot in the game?

GONZALEZ: “I’m sure some of the time, not all of the time. I’m sure with the defense they play; it probably wouldn’t even allow him to be on me for the whole game. But I’ll go up against him at least a couple times. I’ve always said he and Adrian Peterson from San Francisco are the best coverage linebackers in the NFL, bar none. I’m looking forward to the challenge.”

Q: Did defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham fill you in about Keith Bulluck from his time with the Titans?

GONZALEZ: “Yeah, he’s told me a little bit about him, of course. We talk about him a lot. Like I said before, he’s great and Gunther said the same thing, he’s great. It’s a good opportunity for all of us to how well we stack up against one of the best linebackers in the league.”

Q: Is it pretty regularly that they put a linebacker on you in coverage?

GONZALEZ: “Not that often. Last week they put (Oakland CB) Charles Woodson on me the whole game and then had the linebacker bang me off the line of scrimmage, so it was extremely hard for me to get open last week. Any time I go against anybody, if I can get man to man coverage I feel, not all the time but most of the time, I should win.”

Q: How are you covered usually?

GONZALEZ: “I usually get the safety in (inaudible) coverage. Maybe a bump on the line and then I go into the secondary and the safety is usually playing over on my side of the ball. If they want to do that it just opens up other players on the team. Like Eddie Kennison, if he’s going to go out and have 149 yards and a touchdown, I really don’t mind it too much.”

Q: Any thoughts on going to the Pro Bowl with voting just on the horizon?

GONZALEZ: “Yeah and I hope some guys on the team can show up (in Hawaii). I’m going to give it my best shot anyway. The Pro Bowl is just icing on the cake at the end of the year. You just want to get through the year healthy first of all and then make some plays for the offense. If they want to put me in the Pro Bowl, that’s fine. I’m just going to go out there and do the best I can for Monday Night Football.”

Q: The Chiefs running game seems to always be so strong. Why is that?

GONZALEZ: “I guess it kind of started right around when I got in here. Ever since I’ve been around here with the Chiefs, our offensive line coach Mike Solari – he’s one of the best in the business – and I know our running game is pretty complex and that’s why we turn out some of the best rushers in the league. Priest Holmes back there, Derrick Blaylock or Larry Johnson. Our whole running scheme is something you have to study and prepare for. I know I do, they have the tight ends, (and) tackles all over the place. The center’s probably the hardest position on the field, though.”

Q: Do you think RB Larry Johnson can repeat his performance from a week ago?

GONZALEZ: “I hope so. He’s definitely shown he can do it, so now in the future it’s all a matter of repeating it. That’s pretty much what comes along with being a great NFL football player is being consistent. Anybody, well not anybody, but if you have athletic talent of a first-round pick, can go out there and get 100 yards. Its how often are you going to be able to do that? I think Larry has the capability to do that and I think maybe he can. I’m looking forward to see how he responds for the rest of this year and on through his career because he has all the tools and all the talent you need to go out there and be a great football player.”

tk13
12-09-2004, 05:51 PM
Q: It talks about people having soft beds, no work and women with voluptuous figures.

ROFL ROFL

Rain Man
12-09-2004, 05:55 PM
So much for my theory that Otter is Dick Vermeil.

What's the deal with the soft beds and voluptuous women? I have no idea what they're talking about.

Baby Lee
12-09-2004, 06:15 PM
Closing in on MNF, and it already feels like the off season.

Logical
12-09-2004, 06:22 PM
Q: A column on the Chiefs web site about radio talk that….

VERMEIL: “I’ve never seen a web site in my life.”

Q: It was on your web site under Rufus Dawes.

VERMEIL: “I have no clue. He has a sense of humor. You can’t over-react to everything.”

Seems we caught DV in a lie or at least being disingenuous. How would he know that Rufus had a sense of humor if he had never read his stuff.

stevieray
12-09-2004, 06:24 PM
Seems we caught DV in a lie or at least being disingenuous. How would he know that Rufus had a sense of humor if he had never read his stuff.

Because he knows who it is?

Hydrae
12-09-2004, 06:27 PM

That's cool. At least he can wait until he is told he is fired rather than finding out ahead of time on line! ROFL

philfree
12-09-2004, 06:30 PM

If Rufus is Bob Moore as has been suggested one the Planet by someone? then DV and he have proabaly met on more then one occasion. The whole damn thing is disingenuous IMO. Much to do about nothing. I don't listen to talk radio and I don't read every Rufus Dawes so it's BS to me. I bet it's all BS to DV too.

PhilFree :arrow:

Logical
12-09-2004, 06:31 PM
Because he knows who it is?

Valid point.

Logical
12-09-2004, 06:32 PM
That's cool. At least he can wait until he is told he is fired rather than finding out ahead of time on line! ROFLROFL:thumb:

Calcountry
12-09-2004, 06:33 PM
He just didn't want to go there. He knew where that was leading and cut it off.

2bikemike
12-09-2004, 06:34 PM
That's cool. At least he can wait until he is told he is fired rather than finding out ahead of time on line! ROFL

I don't care who you are thats funny right there! ROFL

Calcountry
12-09-2004, 06:34 PM
Closing in on MNF, and it already feels like the off season.
Yeah, the board today had about 6 threads on TNA, and none on football.

It is a non political year, yeah, I'd say its the offseason.

philfree
12-09-2004, 06:37 PM
He just didn't want to go there. He knew where that was leading and cut it off.

That's what I would of done. Except i mighta added something like "Whats that got to do with football?" Who ask that question anyway? Let me guess.........................

PhilFree :arrow: