PDA

View Full Version : I need recommendations for good spy movies

Raiderhater
12-09-2004, 09:45 PM
I've seen all but one, maybe two of the Bond movies, I need something else.

A few others I have seen are: Spy Game, Enemy of the State, The Saint (if that is classified as a spy movie), and probably a couple of others I am forgetting. I need a spy fix, fast. What can you suggest?

Raiderhater
12-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Some others that I have seen: Ronin, both of the Bourne films, the Jack Ryan series, and both of the Mission Impossible films.

Deberg_1990
12-09-2004, 09:51 PM
Some others that I have seen: Ronin, both of the Bourne films, the Jack Ryan series, and both of the Mission Impossible films.

One of my all times favorites is True Lies. Damn, i wish that Cameron would have made a sequel.

Raiderhater
12-09-2004, 09:54 PM
One of my all times favorites is True Lies. Damn, i wish that Cameron would have made a sequel.

OK, that is another one I have seen.

Searching around on the net I have come across three titles that I have not seen before: The Ipcress File, Three Days of the Condor, and The Spy Who Came In From the Cold. Anyone have anything good to say about any of these?

Deberg_1990
12-09-2004, 09:55 PM

Searching around on the net I have come across three titles that I have not seen before: The Ipcress File, Three Days of the Condor, and The Spy Who Came In From the Cold. Anyone have anything good to say about any of these?

Three Days of the Condor is quite good. I love early Robert Redford movies.

unlurking
12-09-2004, 09:55 PM
Mr. Bean rox da house, yo!

Raiderhater
12-09-2004, 09:57 PM
Mr. Bean rox da house, yo!

Mr. Bean annoys the HELL out of me.

North By Northwest can also be added to the list of already seen.

Raiderhater
12-09-2004, 09:59 PM
Three Days of the Condor is quite good. I love early Robert Redford movies.

One star for the Condor....

Blockbuster is open 'till midnight, right? I think so, I hope so, that gives me two hours.

digi2fish
12-09-2004, 10:02 PM
Austin Powers
ROFL

Miles
12-09-2004, 10:04 PM
Ice Station Zebra - part sub movie part spy thriller

Nikita - Overrated but still pretty good.

The Manchurian Candidate

Raiderhater
12-09-2004, 10:04 PM
Austin Powers
ROFL

Ok, my fault for not being more specific. I am looking for action and drama spy films. No comedies. Thanks anyway.

Raiderhater
12-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Ice Station Zebra - part sub movie part spy thriller

Nikita - Overrated but still pretty good.

The Manchurian Candidate

Three others to add to the list. Thanks.

Deberg_1990
12-09-2004, 10:08 PM
Im guessing you have seen The Borne Supremecy?

Raiderhater
12-09-2004, 10:12 PM
Im guessing you have seen The Borne Supremecy?

In the theater and again Tuesday night after buying it. I have enjoyed both films a great deal. Two of my favorite spy films. I can't wait for the third.

Deberg_1990
12-09-2004, 10:13 PM
In the theater and again Tuesday night after buying it. I have enjoyed both films a great deal. Two of my favorite spy films. I can't wait for the third.

Yea...they are both really good. I liked the 1st one a little bit more though. Here is a decent spy film list for you:

http://www.aint-it-cool.com/poll.cgi?pollid=223

Raiderhater
12-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Yea...they are both really good. I liked the 1st one a little bit more though. Here is a decent spy film list for you:

http://www.aint-it-cool.com/poll.cgi?pollid=223

The only thing that keeps Supremacy from being as good as Indentity is some of the editing and the shaky cam crap. Though I found it was not as annoying the second time around. Perhaps because expected it this time.

Thanks for the list. There are some titles there that I had not run across on my web search thus far.

Deberg_1990
12-09-2004, 10:20 PM
The only thing that keeps Supremacy from being as good as Indentity is some of the editing and the shaky cam crap. Though I found it was not as annoying the second time around. Perhaps because expected it this time.

Thanks for the list. There are some titles there that I had not run across on my web search thus far.

Yea the shacky cam stuff might not be as bad on the small screen at home. I did love the gritty feel of the movie.

Iowanian
12-09-2004, 10:21 PM
Behind the Green Door

Amnorix
12-09-2004, 10:22 PM
Guns of Navarone came up on a search for spy movies. I remember it being excellent, but it was at least 15 years ago that I saw it, and I didn't think of it as a "spy movie" so much as a war movie, but maybe someone here has seen it more recently?

Another site lists 2 more Hitchcock (he did North by Northwest, as I assume you know) movies as spy movies -- The Man Who Knew Too Much and 39 Steps. I haven't seen either, but they're Hitchcock, so they'll probably be solid.

And I just came across this website which will probably be VERY helpful to you, with a ratings system and longish descriptions of what the movie is about:

http://www.e-spy.org/classic.espionage.movies.html

Mr. Kotter
12-09-2004, 10:24 PM
There's a great episode of "Ed, Edd, and Eddy" with Sponge Bob as an secret agent....

Donger
12-09-2004, 10:30 PM
Where Eagles Dare

A little dated (and slow at times), but a good spy/military thriller.

The only film that I've ever managed to stay awake overnight watching.

nychief
12-09-2004, 10:33 PM
"Hopscotch"

Mr. Kotter
12-09-2004, 10:34 PM
Ok, my fault for not being more specific. I am looking for action and drama spy films. No comedies. Thanks anyway.

On a serious note, you ever seen "No Way Out"?

Donger
12-09-2004, 10:38 PM

That's a good one, although I can't stand Costner and that skirt.

I'd also recommend Target with Gene Hackman and Matt Dillon. Cold War spy thriller with bit of action.

Miles
12-09-2004, 10:40 PM

Been a while since I have seen it but i remember it being pretty good. Plus having Sean Young naked a lot doesnt hurt.

Mr. Kotter
12-09-2004, 10:48 PM
Been a while since I have seen it but i remember it being pretty good. Plus having Sean Young naked a lot doesnt hurt.

It's one of the few, that my jaw actually dropped wide-open at the climax...Young definately added a lot to the movie. :thumb:

nychief
12-09-2004, 10:48 PM
No Way Out is good Hackman/Cosner/Young...

How about "The Spie who came in from the cold"

Mr. Kotter
12-09-2004, 10:49 PM

I'd also recommend Target with Gene Hackman and Matt Dillon. Cold War spy thriller with bit of action.

I'm not a huge Costner fan, but Sean Young was hot from my way of thinking....

Sean Connery in "Hunt For Red October" was pretty good too--though not a spy thriller in the James Bond sense.

Donger
12-09-2004, 10:53 PM
I'm not a huge Costner fan, but Sean Young was hot from my way of thinking....

Sean Connery in "Hunt For Red October" was pretty good too--though not a spy thriller in the James Bond sense.

Yeah. I really liked No Way Out plot-wise, but other than Hackman and his subordinate (Scott? The guy that played the general in The Postman), I thought the acting was pretty poor.

Jenson71
12-09-2004, 10:53 PM
No Way Out is good Hackman/Cosner/Young...

How about "The Spie who came in from the cold"

:thumb:

Mr. Kotter
12-09-2004, 10:58 PM
Yeah. I really liked No Way Out plot-wise, but other than Hackman and his subordinate (Scott? The guy that played the general in The Postman), I thought the acting was pretty poor.

As a child of the Cold War, I loved the plot....and talk about twists and turns. I'm gonna have to rent it again soon.... :hmmm:

Miles
12-09-2004, 11:02 PM

I dont care for Costner much, but the does have his moments. I though he was really good in the Untouchables, Open Range, and Dances with Wolves.

Logical
12-09-2004, 11:03 PM

The last two are classics. I have never heard of The Ipcress File. Though classics it kind of depends on your taste in movies. I think if you are just killing time you cannot go wrong. Hope I am not wrong.

Boyceofsummer
12-09-2004, 11:05 PM
http://www.mgm.com/title_title.do?title_star=FALCONAN

Otter
12-09-2004, 11:07 PM
Sneakers

nychief
12-09-2004, 11:08 PM
THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR

Raiderhater
12-09-2004, 11:13 PM
Guns of Navarone came up on a search for spy movies. I remember it being excellent, but it was at least 15 years ago that I saw it, and I didn't think of it as a "spy movie" so much as a war movie, but maybe someone here has seen it more recently?

Another site lists 2 more Hitchcock (he did North by Northwest, as I assume you know) movies as spy movies -- The Man Who Knew Too Much and 39 Steps. I haven't seen either, but they're Hitchcock, so they'll probably be solid.

And I just came across this website which will probably be VERY helpful to you, with a ratings system and longish descriptions of what the movie is about:

http://www.e-spy.org/classic.espionage.movies.html

I have not gotten around to seeing the classic Guns of Navarone, but I always thought it was a war movie.

Both of the other Hitchcock films came up in my search and I will certainly be checking them out at some point. Thanks for the sight, it looks helpful.

FWIW, Blockbuster and Hollywood Video both suck balls. I had decided I was going to try out Three Days of the Condor and The Spy Who Came In From the Cold, but neither place had either one. I ended up with two movies I have been wanting to see, but neither are spy flicks. I feel very unsatisfied right now.

Donger
12-09-2004, 11:14 PM
I dont care for Costner much, but the does have his moments. I though he was really good in the Untouchables, Open Range, and Dances with Wolves.

The problem is, he was the same freakin guy in all those movies. He's got about as much range as a Daisy air rifle.

Raiderhater
12-09-2004, 11:15 PM

Is that the one where Costner is trying to catch a Soviet spy, but in the end it turns out that he was misleading the investigation because he himself is the spy?

Mr. Kotter
12-09-2004, 11:15 PM
Is that the one where Costner is trying to catch a Soviet spy, but in the end it turns out that he was misleading the investigation because he himself is the spy?

That's it. :thumb:

Miles
12-09-2004, 11:17 PM
I have not gotten around to seeing the classic Guns of Navarone, but I always thought it was a war movie.

Both of the other Hitchcock films came up in my search and I will certainly be checking them out at some point. Thanks for the sight, it looks helpful.

FWIW, Blockbuster and Hollywood Video both suck balls. I had decided I was going to try out Three Days of the Condor and The Spy Who Came In From the Cold, but neither place had either one. I ended up with two movies I have been wanting to see, but neither are spy flicks. I feel very unsatisfied right now.

Yeah they tend to suck badly when it comes to renting older movies. You will probably have to get a netfix account to see those two.

However, If you have the Encore channels they show Three Days of the Condor every now and then. I have been wanting to see it for a while but havent gotten around to it yet. This thread has definitly bumped it up higher on my list.

Raiderhater
12-09-2004, 11:19 PM
The last two are classics. I have never heard of The Ipcress File. Though classics it kind of depends on your taste in movies. I think if you are just killing time you cannot go wrong. Hope I am not wrong.

Here's a link to the Amazon page dedicated to The Ipcress File, Jim. Sounds interesting.

Raiderhater
12-09-2004, 11:20 PM
That's it. :thumb:

I saw it on tv some time back, very good movie.

Raiderhater
12-09-2004, 11:22 PM
Yeah they tend to suck badly when it comes to renting older movies. You will probably have to get a netfix account to see those two.

However, If you have the Encore channels they show Three Days of the Condor every now and then. I have been wanting to see it for a while but havent gotten around to it yet. This thread has definitly bumped it up higher on my list.

I have been holding off on Netflix just because I typically do not rent often enough to justify the cost. I'll go through stages where I am renting quit a bit, and then I'll go through stages where I might not rent for a couple of months.

Miles
12-09-2004, 11:29 PM
I have been holding off on Netflix just because I typically do not rent often enough to justify the cost. I'll go through stages where I am renting quit a bit, and then I'll go through stages where I might not rent for a couple of months.

Yeah its probably not worth it then if dont rent at least 5 or so movies a month. You may want to consider signing up for a free trial to get a few older movies you want to see that the local places dont have and then canceling.

Raiderhater
12-09-2004, 11:31 PM
Here's a link to the Amazon page dedicated to The Ipcress File, Jim. Sounds interesting.

I just realized that I forgot the bloody link. :rolleyes:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000K3C9/qid=/sr=/ref=cm_lm_asin/103-8144406-7910212?v=glance

Raiderhater
12-09-2004, 11:32 PM
Yeah its probably not worth it then if dont rent at least 5 or so movies a month. You may want to consider signing up for a free trial to get a few older movies you want to see that the local places dont have and then canceling.

I had that thought tonight as I was driving home.