PDA

View Full Version : Use of Smilies: Your Thoughts?

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 08:51 AM
I've been told by a couple of our esteemed members that my use of smilies in my posts is....well, alternately, "inappropriate"; a "passive-agressive" ploy to cover my real intentions; "excessive," and a few other less than pleasant characterizations. So.... :)

Personally, I don't see it; because, from my perspective the smilies are there to convey context and emotion. I'm a rather jolly and obnoxious fellow in person, so the "smilies" are the on-line equivalent to me using my hands to talk....teasing.....joking....being a smartass. And, frankly, I've always kind of enjoyed bein' a smartass--but, those who've met me I think, would agree, I'm a good natured-smart ass. :p

Your participation in this poll will determine my future uses of "smilies." If a significant majority of CP posters tell me to, in effect, knock it off. Alas, I will concede to the will of the board, and in the future I will make much more judicious use of the smilies. If it's a small minority that are annoyed, I will ask them, politely, to get the hell over it. ;)

What are your thoughts? :hmmm:

A decision of great import has been placed into your hands. Please take care to carefully consider this matter, in a serious and conscientious fashion. Thank you for your time. :D

CosmicPal
12-10-2004, 08:54 AM
You could use a little more smilies in your original post....

ChiTown
12-10-2004, 08:55 AM
:rolleyes: :cuss: :mad: :p :deevee: :shake: STFU

Oh, and,

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 08:56 AM
You could use a little more smilies in your original post....

I wondered about that... :hmmm:

Damn, it. :banghead:

I knew I'd find a way to mess this up. :cuss:

Woe is me.... :( I'm such a loser.... :loser:

:sulk:

MichaelH
12-10-2004, 08:56 AM
If people don't know you, it's sometimes a good idea to use smilies in my opinion. It's very easy to misinterpret something that is "said" over the internet. If I'm being a smart ass or sarcastic, I usually try to add :) or something to that effect so it's not taken the wrong way.

Iowanian
12-10-2004, 08:57 AM
I don't think I've used a smiley in the past 6 months

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 08:58 AM
If people don't know you, it's sometimes a good idea to use smilies in my opinion. It's very easy to misinterpret something that is "said" over the internet. If I'm being a smart ass or sarcastic, I usually try to add :) or something to that effect so it's not taken the wrong way.

Me too; which is what I mean....90% of my posts here are to be a smart ass, or are intended TIC. :thumb:

ChiTown
12-10-2004, 08:58 AM

Congrats!

Give yourself a nice handjob :p

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 08:59 AM

Maybe you should; do it....and I'll send some Rep your way. :thumb:

;)

Damn...... :banghead:

Sorry; I forgot you hate the whole rep thing.... :(

:p

Iowanian
12-10-2004, 08:59 AM
Its too early for that.

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 09:02 AM
Its too early for that.

You a late "riser," are you? :)

ChiTown
12-10-2004, 09:03 AM
Its too early for that.

Too early? What the?

I don't care what time of day it is. If Mr. Happy needs attention, he's getting some attention. :harumph:

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 09:04 AM
Too early? What the?

I don't care what time of day it is. If Mr. Happy needs attention, he's getting some attention. :harumph:

My first "real" girlfriend called mine that....and my wife does, if she's had a few drinks. heh, heh

cdcox
12-10-2004, 09:11 AM
In a context outside this board, a smilie doesn't allow one to get away with saying anything they want. When by daughter was younger, she would say something like, "No offense, but you are really stupid and ugly". The phrase "no offense" doesn't make the insult allowable.

However, this board is not the real world. Any one can observe that the atmosphere it is pretty rough and tumble. One person changing their behavior won't change that reality. Standards that one would be expected to maintain in polite company don't necessarily hold here.

I would guess that people who are chastizing you are less interested in manners than they are in neutering you and your particular viewpoints.

Iowanian
12-10-2004, 09:13 AM
You a late "riser," are you? :)

I could chop ice with mine for an hour before you even start that McCauley Caulkin tickle fight dream to fire up your morning kickstand.

Excess use of smileys drives Me nuts.

David.
12-10-2004, 09:15 AM
I could chop ice with mine for an hour before you even start that McCauley Caulkin tickle fight dream to fire up your morning kickstand.

WOW you are SUCH a hardass.

ROYC75
12-10-2004, 09:15 AM
Smilies can be use to much, sometimes I do. I try to use them to lighten the mood on a post.

Unless the user knows the poster well, somtimes smilies have a way of keeping the internet hardass within us at bay. Being sarcastic or just a plain ole smartass , many times viewers can take an opinion the wrong way. But with a smilie to cushion the blow, we all get to laugh about it.

so here ya go ......4321

Iowanian
12-10-2004, 09:17 AM

w.ow..........wha.t a bur.n

Pennywise
12-10-2004, 09:18 AM

ROFL : exactly what posts like this were meant for...

David.
12-10-2004, 09:18 AM
w.ow..........wha.t a bur.n

PERIODS! I totally see why you're the master.

the Talking Can
12-10-2004, 09:19 AM
smilies gay

Gaz
12-10-2004, 09:25 AM
Smilies are crutches for feeble minds.

xoxo~
Gaz
Letting each person decided on his/her own if thjis is sarcasm or sincerity.

Iowanian
12-10-2004, 09:30 AM
PERIODS! I totally see why you're the master.

I'm completely humbled by your scorn. I'll be sure to pay extra attention to your posts to see how I too could improve my material. My creative team should be replaced.

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 09:45 AM
In a context outside this board, a smilie doesn't allow one to get away with saying anything they want. When by daughter was younger, she would say something like, "No offense, but you are really stupid and ugly". The phrase "no offense" doesn't make the insult allowable.

However, this board is not the real world. Any one can observe that the atmosphere it is pretty rough and tumble. One person changing their behavior won't change that reality. Standards that one would be expected to maintain in polite company don't necessarily hold here.

I would guess that people who are chastizing you are less interested in manners than they are in neutering you and your particular viewpoints.

Ding, ding, ding. :thumb:

That is my thought; although, I'm certain they will disagree.

The two posters I speak of, often do stand in diametic opposition to some of the positions I take--especially on one rather controversial issue....particularly, in the DC forum.

I'd go so far to say as to say, they are intimidated and offended by an articulate and conscientious judgement being offered that disagrees with their own.

But, of course, what do I know. I'm a "dickweed, asshole, dumbass, moron." :)

Woe is me... :(

ROFL

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 09:47 AM

Thank you for your input; I'll assume my use offends you and will henceforth restrain my use of them when you are in the thread, or at least when I'm directly addressing you, Sir.

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 09:48 AM

Do I detect a glimmer of admiration?

Skip Towne
12-10-2004, 09:50 AM
Which is why your posts are so incredibly dull. Get a sense of humor. :p

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 09:51 AM
...many times viewers can take an opinion the wrong way. But with a smilie to cushion the blow, we all get to laugh about it.

so here ya go ......4321

NOT according to some posters. :harumph:

Back at you Old Geezer.... nlm

marsaray
12-10-2004, 09:52 AM
Smiles are over rated except the donkey one. Broncos *

(* Violated the salary cap during their championship seasons).
I also like it when they add stuff to your post.

badgirl
12-10-2004, 09:52 AM
I like the smilies, they seem to let people know the emotions your feeling, like joking , without them, if you read a post it may seem like the poster is pissed off, but with the smilie you know how to take them. :thumb:

Iowanian
12-10-2004, 09:56 AM
Thank you for your input; I'll assume my use offends you and will henceforth restrain my use of them when you are in the thread, or at least when I'm directly addressing you, Sir.

Don't modify your posting style because of what I do.......they are an option available for those who enjoy them. It doesn't affect my use or enjoyment of the board whatsoever....but it does give me the "AOL Chat" smack option.

There are some posters who are more difficult to interpret, and sometimes a smiley lets you know if they're being a dick, or just un-funny...funny.

The Ones i'm really a huge fan of, are those of the poster who uses the ooops :rolleyes: every time they think they've been particularly clever.

ROYC75
12-10-2004, 09:56 AM
Which is why your posts are so incredibly dull. Get a sense of humor. :p

Jump on out there Skip and open up a can of worms !

Skip Towne
12-10-2004, 09:59 AM
After reading this thread, I'm going to try to use smilies more often. PBJ PBJ PBJ

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 10:02 AM
After reading this thread, I'm going to try to use smilies more often. PBJ PBJ PBJ

That's just great! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Or as Anton would saa-aaaayyyy: Thuuuu-pppper, Duuuuu-ppperrr! :thailor:

TinkyWinky PBJ

Skip Towne
12-10-2004, 10:20 AM
That's just great! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Or as Anton would saa-aaaayyyy: Thuuuu-pppper, Duuuuu-ppperrr! :thailor:

TinkyWinky PBJ
I was pretty sure you'd approve. PBJ PBJ PBJ

el borracho
12-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Those options are not mutually exclusive. Intended/ perceived use of smilies varies from post to post, even within the context of the same poster. Just like one's mood, their meaning is always changing. I could check all of those options.

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 10:28 AM
I KNOW where two of the "dickweed" votes are likely coming from.....are the others willing to fess up?

If so, why does it bother you?

(I'm serious here; note the LACK of smiley use....)

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 10:29 AM
Those options are not mutually exclusive. Intended/ perceived use of smilies varies from post to post, even within the context of the same poster. Just like one's mood, their meaning is always changing. I could check all of those options.

You could have selected multiple options. :thumb:

el borracho
12-10-2004, 10:31 AM
You could have selected multiple options. :thumb:
I still might... I have not voted yet.

|Zach|
12-10-2004, 10:34 AM
I have not voted in this but anyone is free to use the smilies however they see fit for their posting style.

But if someone says something that is argumentative and then says it wasn't meant to be argumentative because there is a smilie there just seems kind of strange.

Just seems passive agressive. A poster can get in jabs at people yet when they are called out they just cite that there were smilies in the post and try to paint the other person as taking the situation to seriously.

But, its not that big of deal...people are free to use this board how they like.

RedNFeisty
12-10-2004, 10:44 AM
I like the smilies, sometimes you can respond to a thread or post with just a ROFL !

chiefs4me
12-10-2004, 10:44 AM
You are actually thinking about changing the way you post or use smilies because someone on here doesn't like them. Screw them,,,,,,if you wanna use them use them. :harumph:

4th and Long
12-10-2004, 10:59 AM
I like the smilies, sometimes you can respond to a thread or post with just a ROFL !
Agreed except ... well ... the poor guy never takes a break. It's got to wear him out sooner or later. I suggest we add the following smiley before they all form a union and take long coffee breaks and refuse to work.

|Zach|
12-10-2004, 11:00 AM
You are actually thinking about changing the way you post or use smilies because someone on here doesn't like them. Screw them,,,,,,if you wanna use them use them. :harumph:
I don't think the people in question *cough* who ever they may have been were on some quest to change SD's posting style. They were just kind of calling it for what it was.

4th and Long
12-10-2004, 11:01 AM
I don't think the people in question *cough* who ever they may have been were on some quest to change SD's posting style. They were just kind of calling it for what it was.
Nasty cough ya got there Zach. :D Catching cold are ya?

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 11:05 AM

Ah, but you see....I'm seeking to be a kinder and gentler version of Rob; if my oafish and obnoxious manner manifested in exuberant use of smilies has offended or misled some, I seek to ameliorate such sensitivities by responding to the will of the people.

(Remember, if I'm serious....I generally don't include smilies...)

Eleazar
12-10-2004, 11:06 AM
:shrug:

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 11:07 AM
:shrug:
:rolleyes:

:loser:

j/k ;)

RedNFeisty
12-10-2004, 11:07 AM
Agreed except ... well ... the poor guy never takes a break. It's got to wear him out sooner or later. I suggest we add the following smiley before they all form a union and take long coffee breaks and refuse to work.

I love the smilies that you come up with, they crack me up!

|Zach|
12-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Ah, but you see....I'm seeking to be a kinder and gentler version of Rob; if my oafish and obnoxious manner manifested in exuberant use of smilies has offended or misled some, I seek to ameliorate such sensitivities by responding to the will of the people.

Well I think people generally understand when you are joking. Me included. I don't think that is the issue. I am more so talking about times when you have taken a jab at someone and then when they said something about it...you have painted them as taking everything to serioulsly and that its not a big deal.

You put that on that person when they are reacting in a reasonable manner to what was put out. It is not that hard to tell when someone is joking or not. I just don't think you always call things for what they are.

RedNFeisty
12-10-2004, 11:09 AM

If you change your way of posting, I will not respond to you anymore!! :harumph:

4th and Long
12-10-2004, 11:10 AM
I love the smilies that you come up with, the crack me up!
You're so easy. :D

Wait ... that didn't sound right, did it? :p

RedNFeisty
12-10-2004, 11:12 AM
You're so easy. :D

Wait ... that didn't sound right, did it? :p

Wash that mouth out with soap right now young man!! Blasphemy!

4th and Long
12-10-2004, 11:14 AM
Wash that mouth out with soap right now young man!! Blasphemy!
yeggggssss magggmmmm

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 11:14 AM
...It is not that hard to tell when someone is joking or not. I just don't think you always call things for what they are.

Without the smilies, particularly if you don't "know" the poster in question....I do have difficulties sometimes. Early on in my experience here at the Planet, it seemed I was constantly apologizing for things that I had thought were clearly intended in a joking fashion....so I latched onto the smilies as a way to be more clear. It seems to work most of the time....with a couple of exceptions.

If you think I operate here with any ulterior motive, I'd say I'm sorry you feel that way--because, in my mind, I certainly don't. I'm about as upfront in calling a spade a spade as anyone I know, with the possible exception Iowanian.

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 11:15 AM
If you change your way of posting, I will not respond to you anymore!! :harumph:

Dang it, Red; you are creating a dilemma for me then. :(

:banghead:

ROFL

RedNFeisty
12-10-2004, 11:18 AM
yeggggssss magggmmmm :clap:
ROFL

Good Boy!!

RedNFeisty
12-10-2004, 11:19 AM
Dang it, Red; you are creating a dilemma for me then. :(

:banghead:

ROFL

:D

Skip Towne
12-10-2004, 11:22 AM
...sez the feminazi. PBJ PBJ PBJ

Taco John
12-10-2004, 11:29 AM
Hmmm.... Oddly, I can't find a smilie to express what a pathetic thread this is. :hmmm: :deevee: :p

Taco John
12-10-2004, 11:31 AM
I'm about as upfront in calling a spade a spade as anyone I know, with the possible exception Iowanian.

ROFL

That's funny, because It soooo far from the truth. :p

Iowanian
12-10-2004, 11:32 AM

Silly Broad.........you dropped a stick

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 11:53 AM
ROFL

That's funny, because It soooo far from the truth. :p

If you say so; I'm sure you know my own mind and intentions better than I do. :rolleyes:

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 11:53 AM
Hmmm.... Oddly, I can't find a smilie to express what a pathetic thread this is. :hmmm: :deevee: :p

Says our resident "expert" on "pathetic."

go bo
12-10-2004, 12:24 PM
I like the smilies, sometimes you can respond to a thread or post with just a ROFL !:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

go bo
12-10-2004, 12:31 PM
mmmmmmm... ugh!

bo, him think smilies good...

heap plenty good!

smilies, them like sign language...

maybe like smoke signals... :bong:

smilies, them good! :thumb:

ai-EE-yah!! makem smilie face!!
http://freebmw.net/share/Smilies/NormalSize/388.gif :arrow: :BLVD: [gulp][gulp] :D PBJ PBJ PBJ http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/realhappy/jump.gif

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 12:37 PM
mmmmmmm... ugh!

bo, him think smilies good...

heap plenty good!

smilies, them like sign language...

maybe like smoke signals... :bong:

smilies, them good!

ai-EE-yah!! makem smilie face!!
http://freebmw.net/share/Smilies/NormalSize/388.gif :arrow: :BLVD: [gulp][gulp] :D PBJ PBJ PBJ http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/realhappy/jump.gif

I figured I had your support. ROFL

badgirl
12-10-2004, 12:38 PM
what country is that in? Certainly not America :hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 12:42 PM
what country is that in? Certainly not America :hmmm:

Actually, it's one of our posters and his wife; he is a huge Bronco fan....real "machismo," man. Lives out in the Northwest.

go bo
12-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Actually, it's one of our posters and his wife; he is a huge Bronco fan....real "machismo," man. Lives out in the Northwest.ROFL ROFL ROFL

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 02:09 PM
People who use excessive smilies are classless and deranged.

You'd know Norman fuggin' Bates, Jr. :cuss:

Chieficus
12-10-2004, 02:18 PM
The Ones i'm really a huge fan of, are those of the poster who uses the ooops :rolleyes: every time they think they've been particularly clever.

Like anyone around here is actually that clever...

go bo
12-10-2004, 02:21 PM
People who use excessive smilies are classless and deranged.hey! who says i don't have any class? :p :p :p

oh wait, you said people who use excessive smilies...

never mind... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

chiefs4me
12-10-2004, 02:28 PM
...sez the feminazi. PBJ PBJ PBJ

momma :deevee:,,,,,skip called me a name,,,,,ROFL

chiefs4me
12-10-2004, 02:33 PM

So what are you planning on killing this weekend?ROFL

You should log on during the weekend,,,,we really miss your wit:rolleyes:

Taco John
12-10-2004, 02:49 PM
Says our resident "expert" on "pathetic."

Aw, settle down. Where's your sense of humor? Didn't you see the smilies?

Ya dipstick! :p

memyselfI
12-10-2004, 03:03 PM
I've found the people who :deevee: the most about :) are the ones who do not have one named for them...

so 4321 them and their :deevee:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Denise

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Aw, settle down. Where's your sense of humor? Didn't you see the smilies?

Ya dipstick! :p

My bad, TJ; I'm takin' you at your word that you don't approve of that "misuse" of smilies....

Then, again, maybe I ought not take you at your word; given your history. :hmmm:

I'll have to think about this....

Taco John
12-10-2004, 03:33 PM
My bad, TJ; I'm takin' you at your word that you don't approve of that "misuse" of smilies....

Then, again, maybe I ought not take you at your word; given your history. :hmmm:

I'll have to think about this....

Can you link me to the post where I quoted anything about Quote-unquote "misuse" of smilies?

I do remember calling you a passive agressive ***** because of the particular way that you use them. Crying into mommy skirt here doesn't change that.

But hey, who am I to question a guy with 8 different user accounts on this board? Clearly, you've got the edge of experience here, what with all those accounts you have to manage.

:) :p

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 03:42 PM
...But hey, who am I to question a guy with 8 different user accounts on this board? Clearly, you've got the edge of experience here, what with all those accounts you have to manage.

:) :p

Bah, you're right again, TJ; dang, you are on a roll.....managing 7 (it's actually 7 active accounts) is a very difficult and daunting task.

I mean, sheesh, to remember 7 screen names and passwords, why it would take someone of extraordinary intellect to do that--I'm impressed you noticed.....guess I should tell you, I moonlight as a nuerosurgeon and nuclear physicist on the side. I do soooooo need that for the challenge.

WARNING: Only posters "extraordinary" intellect should try managing seven user acounts. Leave it to the professionals. :thumb:

:)

Logical
12-10-2004, 03:48 PM
Wow, you actually actively use 7 accounts?

Vlad
Finds this need for so many kind of bizarre. Also far more questionable than your use of smilies.

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 03:57 PM
Wow, you actually actively use 7 accounts?

Vlad
Finds this need for so many kind of bizarre. Also far more questionable than your use of smilies.

This is the deal:

Each is an attempt to address particular kinds of threads in a humorous/sarcastic/smartazz way...

Anton - Self-explanatory.
DonksRCrap - Donkey Bashing.
MonicaLewinski - Clinton apologists
LamarRHuunt - to rail against Carl, and Front Office decisions
Jenson 17 - to harrass him; from a "schyzophrenia" thread last summer
Taco Bell - to antagonize the most antagonistic Bronco poster here

I did have Taco Jim, but I lost the password to that....hence went with Taco Bell instead....

Satisfied?

Sheeesh. I like bein' a smartass....I don't think there's AWWT. :shrug:

Anyone who really wanted to know, I'd tell who I was..... :p

Taco John
12-10-2004, 03:58 PM
Actually, it's 8 THAT WE KNOW OF... I suspect there's more...

SDChiefsfan
Anton
DonksRCrap
MonicaLewinski
LamarRHuunt
Taco Bell
Taco Jim
Jenson17 (not 71)

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 04:00 PM

SDChiefsfan
Anton
DonksRCrap
MonicaLewinski
LamarRHuunt
Taco Bell
Taco Jim
Jenson17 (not 71)

If you suspect I have more, you are wrong; I give any moderator the permission to publicly expose me if I have any others.

I don't; although, as a part in playing along with this.....I have claimed to be ALL the moderators. A few wondered about that.... ROFL

Taco John
12-10-2004, 04:01 PM
Heh. I wonder if TJ's still upset that he lost his.

Yes and no...

It gets me in trouble with my own folks, especially when the Broncs lose to the Chiefs...

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 04:01 PM

SDChiefsfan
Anton
DonksRCrap
MonicaLewinski
LamarRHuunt
Taco Bell
Taco Jim
Jenson17 (not 71)

Ha....I beat you to it; ninny-ninny boo-boo.... :p

Taco John
12-10-2004, 04:03 PM
If you suspect I have more, you are wrong; I give any moderator the permission to publicly expose me if I have any others.

I don't; although, as a part in playing along with this.....I have claimed to be ALL the moderators. A few wondered about that.... ROFL

I think you've exposed yourself more than enough for one day.

|Zach|
Yes and no...

It gets me in trouble with my own folks,
How so?

Mr. Kotter
Heh. I wonder if TJ's still upset that he lost his.

Endelt, buddy......pal. Haven't I reached the status of deserving my own smiley yet? Come on, Brian.

I've been working so long, and so hard for that.....please. :hmmm:

I'll send you a case of beer, and a stripper. :)

Taco John
12-10-2004, 04:04 PM
How so?

Eh... It does me no benefit to delve into details. I'll just say that some folks don't enjoy the rivalry and all the aspects that come with it like I do.

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 04:05 PM
I think you've exposed yourself more than enough for one day.

Many of the Chief fan members of this site knew about this loooonnnnngggg ago; hell, you were just preoccupied with the Broncos and the Mane (which is understandable, BTW) to have noticed.

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Haha.

Yeah, he's just jealous; after that "middle school" shower seen....he thought HE was the man. heh, heh. :p

Taco John
12-10-2004, 04:08 PM
I guess I'm late to the "How pathetic is SD party." :p

Better late than never. I guess I'm just glad that people started to eventually fill me in.

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 04:08 PM
How so?

They probably just consider it odd he spends as much time over here as there....consider him a traitor, and perhaps a "closet" Chiefs fan.

At least, when I'm at the Mane.....that's what some have said. :hmmm:

|Zach|
12-10-2004, 04:09 PM

Better late than never. I guess I'm just glad that people started to eventually fill me in.
Go **** yourself. ROFL :) :p

SPchief
12-10-2004, 04:10 PM
ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 04:10 PM

Pathetic....if you only knew HOW pathetic.

Gosh, my brother was the successful one in the family; lived in a van, down by the river, as an unemployed motivational speaker.....

SNL did a skit based on his life.... ;)

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 04:11 PM
Go **** yourself. ROFL :) :p

Last time he did that, he bled....forgot to use KY. Come on, man; show a little compassion. :shake:

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 04:13 PM
This is the deal:

Each is an attempt to address particular kinds of threads in a humorous/sarcastic/smartazz way...

Anton - Self-explanatory.
DonksRCrap - Donkey Bashing.
MonicaLewinski - Clinton apologists
LamarRHuunt - to rail against Carl, and Front Office decisions
Taco Bell - to antagonize the most antagonistic Bronco poster here

I did have Taco Jim, but I lost the password to that....hence went with Taco Bell instead....

Satisfied?

Sheeesh. I like bein' a smartass....I don't think there's AWWT. :shrug:

Anyone who really wanted to know, I'd tell who I was..... :p

BUMP
So Logical doesn't miss this...

Taco John
12-10-2004, 04:14 PM
Guys! Guys! Guys! Guys!

|Zach|
12-10-2004, 04:15 PM
BUMP
The explanations don't make their existance less ridiculous.

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 04:17 PM
The explanations don't make their existance less ridiculous.

You forgot to say, IMHO. :thumb:

You know what they say about opinions, right? :hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 04:17 PM
Guys! Guys! Guys! Guys!

Yes, John? :hmmm:

|Zach|
12-10-2004, 04:18 PM
You forgot to say, IMHO. :thumb:

You know what they say about opinions, right? :hmmm:

I thought that was implied. I would hate to put that behind pretty much every post I make.

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 04:21 PM
I thought that was implied. I would hate to put that behind pretty much every post I make.

Those of us who enjoy didactic dialogue and philosophical/ethical/political discussions often find it useful to distinguish hypotheticals/role-playing/devil's advocacy from our personal opinions.

Sorry, I loved debate in HS. heh. You've probably figured that out by now. :)

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 04:22 PM
Opinions are like assholes. Mine's better than everyone else's.

DC will be interested in that. :hmmm:

Expect a PM, sometime very soon inquiring..... :p

Logical
12-10-2004, 04:22 PM
BUMP

I already read it. You do not need to justify it to me, I just find it a little odd, and as I said more of something I would question than your use of smilies.

Just for your info I was more amazed that you said you actively use them than that you have them.

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 04:27 PM
I already read it. You do not need to justify it to me, I just find it a little odd, and as I said more of something I would question than your use of smilies.

Just for your info I was more amazed that you said you actively use them than that you have them.

"Active" only in the sense, when I come across a thread where I wanna be a smart ass.....in a sarcastic/satirical way.

Between the other six that I have used, there are around 1000 posts, total.

Skip Towne
12-10-2004, 04:28 PM
Opinions are like assholes. Mine's better than everyone else's.
I'm gonna take your word for it on that one.

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 06:33 PM
I'm gonna take your word for it on that one.

ROFL

Logical
12-10-2004, 08:03 PM
"Active" only in the sense, when I come across a thread where I wanna be a smart ass.....in a sarcastic/satirical way.

Between the other six that I have used, there are around 1000 posts, total.
I kind of get the whole Anton persona, it lets you expose your gay side.;)
But the others, well it just seems you could make the same posts as yourself and be just as satirical and sarcastic.

Skip Towne
12-10-2004, 08:07 PM
I didn't think multiple usernames were allowed on this board. Wasn't Tom Cash banned for doing that?

Logical
12-10-2004, 08:36 PM
I didn't think multiple usernames were allowed on this board. Wasn't Tom Cash banned for doing that?

It was the way he used them if I recall. He would use the multiple user names to attack others and then to support himself. I think there was more involved as well but Phobia would probably have to provide the details.

Jenson71
12-10-2004, 10:20 PM

Actually, I think it was because of Ray Bradbury whining about Michael Moore. I disagreed with Bradbury, actually I called him a pussy.

I've always thought Jenson17 was your best personality, but that's probably just because I'm an attention whore.

Jenson71
12-10-2004, 10:22 PM
Guys! Guys! Guys! Guys!

mock, YEAH! ing, YEAH!, bird, YEAH!, yeah, YEAH!

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 10:33 PM
Actually, I think it was because of Ray Bradbury whining about Michael Moore. I disagreed with Bradbury, actually I called him a pussy.

I've always thought Jenson17 was your best personality, but that's probably just because I'm an attention whore.

"You and me, kid; you and me."

ROFL

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 10:35 PM
I kind of get the whole Anton persona, it lets you expose your gay side.;)
But the others, well it just seems you could make the same posts as yourself and be just as satirical and sarcastic.

Check the profiles, the signatures, and the avatars....I felt like those provided value-added humor to the personas. :)

Mr. Kotter
12-10-2004, 10:41 PM
It was the way he used them if I recall. He would use the multiple user names to attack others and then to support himself. I think there was more involved as well but Phobia would probably have to provide the details.

You've got it right, Jim.

I've been upfront about those other usernames when "asked" about them (well, except with TJ). As long as I didn't pull the stuff Cash did with stacking polls, and "piling on" in mean spirited attacks....that kind of thing....that I could keep 'em. I 'stacked' ONE poll, before I was warned. Any abuse, and they'll neuter me.

Mr. Kotter
12-12-2004, 12:04 AM
Bump, I am requesting more input, Please? :hmmm:

Before I make my decision with regard to my use of "smilies."

This is an important matter, and I beg of you, it deserves your attention. :thumb:

tk13
12-12-2004, 12:15 AM
Uh...

Mr. Kotter
12-12-2004, 12:16 AM
Uh...

:loser:

nlm

So THERE! :harumph:

tk13
12-12-2004, 12:17 AM
Link?

tk13
12-12-2004, 12:18 AM
Yeeeeeaaaahhhhrg!

tk13
12-12-2004, 12:19 AM
I'd back off SDChiefsfan, I pity the fool that messes with me.

Mr. Kotter
12-12-2004, 12:19 AM
Link?

:moon:

tk13
12-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Skip will have none of this....

Mr. Kotter
12-12-2004, 12:22 AM
I'd back off SDChiefsfan, I pity the fool that messes with me.

OK, Mr. T.....I tremble in fear and trepidation. ROFL

beavis
12-12-2004, 01:22 AM
I'm too lazy to see if this has been mentioned yet, but the only one that really annoys me withsmilies is DUHnise and her use of the ROFL in her Jihad propaganda. But I suppose admitting it will just motivate her to do it more.

Frazod
12-12-2004, 02:14 AM
I've gotten so used to using smilies that it annoys me when I'm e-mailing people outside of the BB and don't have them.