PDA

View Full Version : 12/10 Q&A (trilogy) DV

Wile_E_Coyote
12-10-2004, 06:49 PM
Priest, the first in the series was the best of the lot

Q&A with Dick Vermeil

Dec 10, 2004, 5:50:48 PM

Q: Injury update?

DICK VERMEIL: “Nothing really has changed. Monty Beisel practiced full-speed and Trent Green practiced full speed. Junior Siavii practiced full speed. (Chris) Bober is better, a lot better today than he was yesterday. It’s just a day-by-day thing. Will Shields practiced. He’ll be ready to go.”

Q: Are you contemplating putting Jerome Woods on the shelf for the rest of the season?

VERMEIL: “No, no. It’s not that kind of injury. Structurally it’s sound. When the pain is down to the point he can play or not bother him he’ll play again.”

Q: Will Beisel start?

VERMEIL: “No, Caver will start. But Beisel will play and be featured in special teams.”

Q: Jeff Fisher was talking in his press conference the other day that after the Super Bowl you two coaches couldn’t find each other after the wild finish. Do you remember that? Apparently you found him or he found you a couple of hours later.

VERMEIL: “Yeah. I just remember the security and everything was different. I didn’t get to do what you normally do to acknowledge the other coach. We were fortunate to win the football game. I saw him later. I think one of the things I said to him was, ‘as good a football coach as you are you’ll be back.’”

Q: Talk about Will Shields’ longevity and the way he keeps going?

VERMEIL: “First off, he’s been fortunate. He’s experienced good fortune from the injury standpoint. He hasn’t really experienced the freak injury. But I’ve never been around any body like him. I’ve coached a long time, but I’ve never seen anybody that is so deliberate in doing everything right. He’s so disciplined and he enjoys it so much. When we go through a walk-through tempo he does it better than anybody else. When we go full-speed tempo he does it better than anybody else. When he goes into the community he does it better than everybody else. That’s just him. He’s an unbelievable guy in giving of himself and to his team and his community.”

Q: At his age people start wondering how long a guy can continue to play. He’s not even thinking about it.

VERMEIL: “I think it’s dependent on how long he wants to play. I know when I came here I said to him in front of our wives when we went out to dinner together: we’re going to put you out in front of this company; we’re going to put you up in front of this football team. You’re going to be our poster guy because he deserved to be. I don’t know if that was true before.”

Q: Define poster guy.

VERMEIL: “The guy that sets the example, the guy that is the example setter for the whole football team and the community. He’s what the Chiefs are all about.”

Q: From a coaching standpoint with the schedule changing and all that, is the Monday night experience been worth it for you?

VERMEIL: “I’m a routine guy. I would just as soon play Sunday. I enjoy the week prior to a Monday night game. I don’t enjoy the week after a Monday night game. It’s a lot tougher on the coaches, a little tougher on the players. But that’s the way it is and we all are paid through the success of national television, so that’s just part of our job to do it.”

Q: Are we going to see Kris Wilson at all Monday?

VERMEIL: “I don’t know. There’s a chance you could. It depends on Omar Easy. Omar could not practice today because he had a sore knee. If he weren’t able to go then we might suit up Kris in his place.”

Hydrae
12-10-2004, 06:54 PM
Somebody blindside Easy in practice, I want to see what Wilson can do in a real game.

I really don't want to see one of our players get hurt but really, really want to see Wilson siuted up!

royr17
12-10-2004, 07:08 PM
Thank God Caver is starting instead of Beisel, I like what i have seen from Caver.