PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Christmas dinner, Priest Holmes, and Bi-State III

tk13
12-11-2004, 02:33 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/10391201.htm

Santa Claus is coming to town — and so is Mother's soul food
JASON WHITLOCK

Worst experience in America: Sitting in my barber's chair for 30 minutes on a Friday when the Chiefs are 4-8 and out of the playoff picture. Greg Henry, my barber, jumped on the Broncos' bandwagon late in John Elway's career. Listening to him talk, you'd think he was born and raised in Denver. He's never traveled west of KCK.

Here are a few other things I've been meaning to tell you:

• My mama's annual soul-food Christmas party — which is invitation only — will celebrate its 10-year anniversary on Monday, Dec. 20. She's flying into Kansas City on Friday with a vat of bacon grease and a suitcase full of seasonings.

She's demanded more kitchen space, so the party has moved to Mrs. Vera Willis' spot, The Peachtree at 18th and Vine. Carol Coe, who is recovering wonderfully from a stroke, negotiated the deal that will allow my mama full use of The Peachtree for the party that will go from 2 to 8 p.m. on Dec. 20.

Mrs. Willis initially balked at the idea of my mother using her kitchen. Great cooks can be very territorial. My mother agreed to never open a restaurant in the Kansas City area. There's only one time a year that Kansas Citians can taste her collard greens, sweet potatoes, dressing, brisket, pecan pie and Wild Turkey eggnog.

This year's guests of honor: Kansas basketball coach Bill Self, KU football coach Mark Mangino, athletic director Lew Perkins and the legendary Danny Manning. We'll also say goodbye to my Star colleague Ivan Carter, who is off to The Washington Post.

If you want a chance to join us, drop me an email at jwhitlock@kcstar.com or call (816) 234-4869 and tell me why you deserve the opportunity to jolt your cholesterol.

• Priest Holmes met with the news media Friday afternoon, and his purpose seemed to be to assure fans that he'll back next year in a Chiefs uniform and that he's confident the Chiefs will make a run at the Super Bowl next season.

Priest's public statements lead me to believe that during his meeting with Carl Peterson and Dick Vermeil — which was a discussion about whether Holmes should go on injured reserve — they led Holmes to believe that the Chiefs will be active in the free-agent market this off-season. Holmes and other members of the Chiefs were disappointed with Kansas City's 2004 off-season activity. The players wanted the Chiefs to sign a big-name free agent — Terrell Owens, Warren Sapp, anybody.

• The Indianapolis Colts were stupid for re-signing wide receiver Marvin Harrison, 32.

To fix Indy's defense, the Colts needed to sacrifice a little of their offense. It appears Indy is intent on keeping all of Peyton Manning's toys. By signing Harrison and giving him a $22-million signing bonus, it clears the way for the Colts to negotiate with or give a franchise tag to running back Edgerrin James.

The Colts should have let Harrison go. With Reggie Wayne and Brandon Stokley, the Colts could have survived Harrison's loss. They could have used the money they gave Harrison to sign a defensive player or two.

• My peers in the sports media spend so much time ripping the BCS system that they never focus on their mistakes. One of the factors for the Auburn Tigers not getting into the championship mix is that USC and Oklahoma started the year ranked No. 1 and No. 2 in the AP poll. The first college football poll shouldn't be released until the first week of October, after the top teams have had a chance to play two or three non-conference games. Teams should be forced to earn their early-season rankings. If we held the first poll until October, there would be more incentive for the Kansas States of the world to play a competitive non-conference schedule.

• Adrian Peterson is going to finish fourth in the Heisman Trophy voting. Just a prediction. That's going to be a crime. The Oklahoma freshman running back is the best college football player I've seen since Barry Sanders.

• Rumor is that if Bistate III fails, Lamar Hunt will protest by announcing a reduction in parking and ticket prices and by firing Carl Peterson. Had KC sports fans known that the failure of Bistate II would force the Wizards to leave town, voter turnout would have skyrocketed.

Happy Holidays!

big nasty kcnut
12-11-2004, 03:56 AM
If we going to be active in free agency then we need young players who are hungry to prove their skill on a playoff team.

|Zach|
12-11-2004, 04:19 AM
Interesting takes...

DaWolf
12-11-2004, 05:14 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that we will be active. For all the critisism I give Carl for sitting pat in the offseason after a successful season, he is usually one to make changes when the team starts sucking. I have no doubt that Carl and Lamar are all about winning. I do have doubts about Carl and his front office's ability to find the right talent. We'll see...

the Talking Can
12-11-2004, 08:01 AM
He's not inviting Quin?

Skip Towne
12-11-2004, 08:08 AM
Anybody going to Whitlock's bash?

BigRedChief
12-11-2004, 08:12 AM
Where's King Carl's invitation?

dtebbe
12-11-2004, 10:00 AM
Why in the hell would someone ruin a nice soul food social by inviting a bunch of KU pussies?

nlm Fatlock

DT

cash1000
12-11-2004, 10:15 AM
If Bistate II had been just about renovating Arrowhead it probably would have passed. Despite all the Chiefs BS unlike the Royals the Chiefs have won enough to merit a makeover for Arrowhead and we don't need to spend $300 million on the opera.

ChiefsCountry
12-11-2004, 11:24 AM
If Bistate II had been just about renovating Arrowhead it probably would have passed. Despite all the Chiefs BS unlike the Royals the Chiefs have won enough to merit a makeover for Arrowhead and we don't need to spend $300 million on the opera.

I don't, the Cardinals asked for a new stadium and didnt get it from the public. And they are as loved by St. Lousers as the Chiefs are in KC.

Otter
12-11-2004, 11:52 AM
My mama's annual soul-food Christmas party — which is invitation only —

That's wierd, we usually encourage strangers off the street to show up at my famlies Christmas Dinner.

Skip Towne
12-11-2004, 12:09 PM
Why in the hell would someone ruin a nice soul food social by inviting a bunch of KU pussies?

nlm Fatlock

DT
They are trying to add some class to their party. They had to go to Kansas to find it.

ChiefsCountry
12-11-2004, 12:11 PM
I'm suprised that Whitlock isn't having ribs at his dinner.

Logical
12-11-2004, 02:06 PM
Rumor is that if Bistate III fails, Lamar Hunt will protest by announcing a reduction in parking and ticket prices and by firing Carl Peterson. Had KC sports fans known that the failure of Bistate II would force the Wizards to leave town, voter turnout would have skyrocketed.

LOL that is pretty funny.