PDA

View Full Version : Wireless router problems...

Hammock Parties
12-11-2004, 08:17 PM
This is driving me crazy...

I have the hardware setup properly. I can access the net from here and from the laptop at the other end of the house.

However...I can't upload anything. For instance, I can't upload anything to imageshack, and I can't attach pictures to posts here.

I also can't do crap with my SBC yahoo e-mail account (tho g-mail works). And this is the only forum I can post on. I was gonna post this on Sharky hardware Forums but the new thread won't post.

Suggestions?

morphius
12-11-2004, 08:19 PM
I think the only thing that is broken is that you can post here...

Have you checked the firewall settings on the router?

David.
12-11-2004, 08:21 PM
i think your computer hates you.

Hammock Parties
12-11-2004, 08:23 PM

Listen motherf*cker, this is a serious thread. If you don't have anything useful to contribute, stay out.

Hammock Parties
12-11-2004, 08:24 PM
I think the only thing that is broken is that you can post here...

Have you checked the firewall settings on the router?

I can't even see any firewall settings...in any case I don't think that has anything to do with uploading or e-mail.

David.
12-11-2004, 08:24 PM
Listen motherf*cker, this is a serious thread. If you don't have anything useful to contribute, stay out.

no?

Hammock Parties
12-11-2004, 08:25 PM
I think the firewall is disabled anyway. I'd attach a pic but I can't of course.

David.
12-11-2004, 08:26 PM
I think the firewall is disabled anyway. I'd attach a pic but I can't of course.

yeah...of course.

morphius
12-11-2004, 08:27 PM
You have run all the adaware removal crap as well?

David.
12-11-2004, 08:27 PM

go bo
12-11-2004, 08:29 PM
I think the firewall is disabled anyway. I'd attach a pic but I can't of course.why would you disable the hardware firewall in the router?

isn't that one of the main reasons for using a router instead of a hub?

morphius
12-11-2004, 08:30 PM
why would you disable the hardware firewall in the router?

I'm just going to say no and leave it at that.

Hammock Parties
12-11-2004, 08:30 PM
why would you disable the hardware firewall in the router?

I'm using the router so I can have net access all around the house. My DSL modem has a fine firewall.

Ad-aware has nothing to do with this...my system is clean anyway.

morphius
12-11-2004, 08:31 PM
I'm using the router so I can have net access all around the house. My DSL modem has a fine firewall.

Ad-aware has nothing to do with this...my system is clean anyway.
Ummm, ad crap can really screw up your browser, so it is a valid option.

go bo
12-11-2004, 08:33 PM
I'm just going to say no and leave it at that.does this mean i shouldn't rely on the hardware firewall in the router?

i don't run any firewall software on my pc, should i?

Hammock Parties
12-11-2004, 08:35 PM
Ummm, ad crap can really screw up your browser, so it is a valid option.

Adware isn't on my computer, so it's not even worth discussing.

Hammock Parties
does this mean i shouldn't rely on the hardware firewall in the router?

No, you can rely on that if you want. It's fine. I stopped using zonealarm because of the firewall in my DSL router.

go bo
Ummm, ad crap can really screw up your browser, so it is a valid option.yeah, my son's puter got so screwed up with malware and toolbars that we had to reformat the damned drive...

he runs adaware and spybot regularly now, and i installed win patrol, and he hasn't had any more problems (knock on wood)...

morphius
12-11-2004, 08:36 PM
does this mean i shouldn't rely on the hardware firewall in the router?

You should still run the firewall, that is just an adtantage of having the router. The real reason for he router is it lets you talk to the other network and routes the traffic appropriatly, a hub can't do that.

Hammock Parties
12-11-2004, 08:39 PM
You should still run the firewall, that is just an adtantage of having the router. The real reason for he router is it lets you talk to the other network and routes the traffic appropriatly, a hub can't do that.

Fine, whatever. Turning on the router firewall isn't going to solve my problem.

So does anyone know why my net would be working other than the inability to upload anything? And the mail thing?

go bo
12-11-2004, 08:41 PM

So does anyone know why my net would be working other than the inability to upload anything? And the mail thing?has phobia restricted your isp account or something? ROFL ROFL ROFL

David.
12-11-2004, 08:42 PM

So does anyone know why my net would be working other than the inability to upload anything? And the mail thing?

Yes....be a prick to the people trying to help you. That's why you're so liked around here.

Hammock Parties
12-11-2004, 08:42 PM
has phobia restricted your isp account or something? ROFL ROFL ROFL

LMAO his ultimate revenge.

No I don't think so.

Something setting is messed up if I can post on this board but not on any others. And can't upload.

Hammock Parties
12-11-2004, 08:43 PM
Yes....be a prick to the people trying to help you. That's why you're so liked around here.

Shut up.

Hammock Parties
12-11-2004, 08:43 PM
Man this is messed up...I can post on the Mane and Chiefsplanet but no where else.

Check that...MaddenMania too.

David.
12-11-2004, 08:45 PM
Man this is messed up...I can post on the Mane and Chiefsplanet but no where else.

Check that...MaddenMania too.

yes, that definitely sucks.........

Hammock Parties
12-11-2004, 08:51 PM
I can get INTO my mail account, I just can't check the inbox or compose a new message.

morphius
12-11-2004, 08:53 PM
I can get INTO my mail account, I just can't check the inbox or compose a new message.
Does everything seem browser related, do any other web application you have work?

Hammock Parties
12-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Does everything seem browser related, do any other web application you have work?

AIM works fine. Bittorrent works fine and is uploading.

morphius
12-11-2004, 08:59 PM
AIM works fine. Bittorrent works fine and is uploading.
Did a setting get turned off in your browser, or maybe a deny always checked somewhere...

Hammock Parties
12-11-2004, 09:01 PM
Did a setting get turned off in your browser, or maybe a deny always checked somewhere...

I havent touched anything in my browser.

I'll look for a deny always in the router settings if that's what you mean.

Hammock Parties
12-11-2004, 09:06 PM
On my Dynamic Routing page NAT is enabled, but the TRANSMIT setting is disabled. I can't change it, it's greyed out.

morphius
12-11-2004, 09:09 PM
What browser are you using?

Hammock Parties
12-11-2004, 09:11 PM
What browser are you using?

Firefox.

I get the same shit with IE, BTW.

morphius
12-11-2004, 09:16 PM
Firefox.

I get the same shit with IE, BTW.
Do you have the trouble on any other machine?

Hammock Parties
12-11-2004, 09:24 PM
Do you have the trouble on any other machine?

Two other laptops are using the wireless connection...they have the exact same issues.

morphius
12-11-2004, 09:27 PM
Two other laptops are using the wireless connection...they have the exact same issues.
Does your router have a choice to reset back to factory defaults? That would seem to be the best option right now.

Hammock Parties
12-11-2004, 09:38 PM
Does your router have a choice to reset back to factory defaults? That would seem to be the best option right now.

I don't see one.

morphius
12-11-2004, 09:45 PM
I don't see one.
Which router do you have?

Demonpenz
12-11-2004, 09:48 PM
4 questions

have you dropped the router lately?
How old is your router?
What OS are you running?
Has there been a static electric shock?
Do you have a warrenty

Hammock Parties
12-11-2004, 09:49 PM
Which router do you have?

http://www.usr.com/products/networking/router-product.asp?sku=USR8054

Hammock Parties
12-11-2004, 09:50 PM
4 questions

have you dropped the router lately?
How old is your router?
What OS are you running?
Has there been a static electric shock?
Do you have a warrenty

No.
I just bought it.
Windows XP.
No.
If it came with one, yeah probably. I can always take it back to the store.

XXXshogunXXX
12-11-2004, 09:51 PM
have you dropped the router...hahha..like that would have anything to do with it.

morphius
12-11-2004, 10:00 PM
No.
I just bought it.
Windows XP.
No.
If it came with one, yeah probably. I can always take it back to the store.
So it never has worked correctly?

Hammock Parties
12-11-2004, 10:12 PM
So it never has worked correctly?

As far as the problems I have described? No.

I can surf and post on three football sites just fine, though. ROFL

XXXshogunXXX
12-11-2004, 10:14 PM
adjust your MTU settings to 1452.

morphius
12-11-2004, 10:17 PM
Sounds like a call into their spport line may be in order, especially since is brand new it should be free to call them. Of course don't be surprised if Bob on the other side of the phone has an odd Indian accent.

Hammock Parties
12-11-2004, 10:21 PM
HOO-AH!

crossbow
12-12-2004, 10:31 AM
This is driving me crazy...

I have the hardware setup properly. I can access the net from here and from the laptop at the other end of the house.

However...I can't upload anything. For instance, I can't upload anything to imageshack, and I can't attach pictures to posts here.

I also can't do crap with my SBC yahoo e-mail account (tho g-mail works). And this is the only forum I can post on. I was gonna post this on Sharky hardware Forums but the new thread won't post.

Suggestions?

My suggestion is to eliminate as much hardware as possible. To begin your diagnostic session: Start off with just the computer and DSL modem. If the problem is there with only the computer and the DSL modem, then check the TCP/IP settings in your Windows network applet. Make sure you don''t have any filters turned on and that IPSEC is turned off. Make sure Windwos XP firewall is also turned off. You don't want two firewalls running at the same time !!!

If that works then add the other router to see if it is causing the problem. If it is then check the settings. Check the security protocols they could be choking the system down. The router could be defective if the settings are correct.

If nothing works then it could be your ISP. Trust me, they can scew up too.