PDA

View Full Version : best cooks in the family?.....

badgirl
12-11-2004, 11:06 PM
Ok I would like to know, who do you think is the best cook in your family including in laws and what is your favorite dish they make? Thought this would be kinda fun thread, and I may need some receipts :) if they sound good :thumb:

FloridaChief
12-11-2004, 11:07 PM
Receipts?

David.
12-11-2004, 11:07 PM
My mom, but that's not saying much.

tk13
12-11-2004, 11:09 PM
My mom, but that's not saying much.
No kidding, we've already learned that you stand there for a half hour trying to figure out why you can't get the oven door open.

David.
12-11-2004, 11:10 PM
No kidding, we've already learned that you stand there for a half hour trying to figure out why you can't get the oven door open.

haha, hey my joke works. Good thing there was a woman in that thread to back me up.

Skip Towne
12-11-2004, 11:12 PM
ROFL Yep.

LiL stumppy
12-11-2004, 11:13 PM
No comment

badgirl
12-11-2004, 11:15 PM
No comment
hey you know who to say now say it damn it :mad:

badgirl
12-11-2004, 11:16 PM
well my x-sister in law used to make pumpkin rolls during the holidays and they were great with coffee, I need to give her a call. :hmmm:

cdcox
12-11-2004, 11:17 PM
My brother is a professional chef, so I'll tip my hat to him. Mom, my wife, and I are no slouches though.

morphius
12-11-2004, 11:19 PM
Well, the one thing I know is that it isn't me.

David.
12-11-2004, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I forgot. My grandpa and uncle went to cooking school in Paris. GREAT food on that side of the family. Actually it kinda splits up perfectly for me. Dad's side, good healthy "coastal" food. Mom's side, good home cookin, meat and potatoes food. I miss them both, they're both WAY better than dorm food :(

Raiderhater
12-11-2004, 11:21 PM
My Mom should be considered a world class cook. And no, that is not family prejudice. :)

The best dish that she makes is her infamous brisket with Texas taters. :drool: Unless she screws up and uses soy sauce instead of worchester sauce (it only happened once, and she'll be pissed if she finds out I posted it on the net :)).

Now desserts, that is her real specialty. Her signature dessert is her apple pie. God, can she make an apple pie. And her cherry raspberry is not too far behind (my personal favorite). ;)

badgirl
12-11-2004, 11:24 PM
My Mom should be considered a world class cook. And no, that is not family prejudice. :)

The best dish that she makes is her infamous brisket with Texas taters. :drool: Unless she screws up and uses soy sauce instead of worchester sauce (it only happened once, and she'll be pissed if she finds out I posted it on the net :)).

Now desserts, that is her real specialty. Her signature dessert is her apple pie. God, can she make an apple pie. And her cherry raspberry is not too far behind (my personal favorite). ;)
I am best at making deserts also, black forest cherry cake is great and I make a good from scratch buttermilk coffee cake, and an awsome peach cobbler, if I do say so myself, :thumb:

badgirl
12-11-2004, 11:26 PM
Receipts?
Recipes, sorry :shake:

Raiderhater
12-11-2004, 11:28 PM
I am best at making deserts also, black forest cherry cake is great and I make a good from scratch buttermilk coffee cake, and an awsome peach cobbler, if I do say so myself, :thumb:

Thanksgiving she tried two new cheesecakes out, the first was a creme de menthe cheescake and the second was a chocolate cherry cheesecake. Now both were superb, but this chocolate cherry cheesecake had cherry pie filling in the middle with a layer of chocolate over the top of the whole thing. My God, that stuff was sinful.

badgirl
12-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Thanksgiving she tried two new cheesecakes out, the first was a creme de menthe cheescake and the second was a chocolate cherry cheesecake. Now both were superb, but this chocolate cherry cheesecake had cherry pie filling in the middle with a layer of chocolate over the top of the whole thing. My God, that stuff was sinful.I would love to have a good cheese cake receipe, and the chocolate cherry one sounds great, I am surely making myself hungry,for something sweet. :thumb: :p

Raiderhater
12-11-2004, 11:36 PM
I would love to have a good cheese cake receipe, and the chocolate cherry one sounds great, I am surely making myself hungry,for something sweet. :thumb: :p

I would suggest doing a cook book search. My mom very rarely gives out her recipes. It just don't happen, except for the strangest of situations.

badgirl
12-11-2004, 11:39 PM
I would suggest doing a cook book search. My mom very rarely gives out her recipes. It just don't happen, except for the strangest of situations.
I certainly understand, Lil Stumppy loves cheesecake and pumpkin pie and I did find a receipe for pumpkin cheesecake, I haven't tried it yet, but I think I'll give it a shot a xmas. :thumb:

Spicy McHaggis
12-12-2004, 12:00 AM
Hands down my grandmother. I have dreams about fried chicken, mashed potatos, apple pie, baked breads and greens. That said the men of the family are no slouches as barbequers.

Hammock Parties
12-12-2004, 12:48 AM
My grandmother. My mom specializes in stuff we ate overseas (indian food and a lovely dish called mince and tatties).

My grandmother makes the best chocolate cake ever, though. And her roast is damn good.

My grandfather on dad's side makes barbecued chicken that's like a wet dream on a grill.

FloridaChief
12-12-2004, 02:20 AM
Recipes, sorry :shake:

That's right! And don't you Goddamned well forget it again!

Raiderhater
12-12-2004, 02:21 AM

ROFL

Miles
12-12-2004, 02:23 AM
Im a hell of a cook. I can put frozen shit in the microwave and even the oven. Im also very good at geting beers out of my fridge.

big nasty kcnut
12-12-2004, 03:35 AM
My step mom is the best. She make the best tamales. Then last night she made a awesome roast. Also make the best tortillas. My dad make the best ghoulash anywhere and chicken. I'm getting good at making spagetti. Plus i'd made a kick ass turkey for thankgiving.

badgirl
12-12-2004, 09:28 AM
:deevee: :deevee: don't be so mean :deevee: :)

4th and Long
12-12-2004, 09:38 AM
Here's a recipe for you.
<p align="center">http://mc.clintock.com/first_floor/kitchen/cabinet_beside_refrigerator/upper_cabinet/jif_creamy_peanut_butter.jpg
+
http://www.shopfoodex.com/catalog/images/lowsugar_orangxemarm.jpg
+
http://www.kapitan.ru/renew021214/slice_of_bread.jpg</p>

Alternatley, you can use this recipe instead.
<p align="center">http://www.dgeypscun.com/rtd.goobergrape.jpg
+
http://www.kapitan.ru/renew021214/slice_of_bread.jpg</p>
Good luck!

:D

Baby Lee
12-12-2004, 09:39 AM
Maternal Grandma - best biscuits on earth. Totally from scratch, completely in her head. Don't think her recipe was ever written down. People driving through anywhere in the area would just 'drop in' at breakfast time, on the off chance there was a pan of biscuits laying around.

Paternal Grandma - best pies. I can't even eat pies elsewhere, as her oil crust makes the pies you get a restaurant taste like it's wrapped in cardboard. Always had a blackberry and gooseberry patch out back so the fillings were fresh and natural, from scratch.

badgirl
12-12-2004, 09:49 AM
Maternal Grandma - best biscuits on earth. Totally from scratch, completely in her head. Don't think her recipe was ever written down. People driving through anywhere in the area would just 'drop in' at breakfast time, on the off chance there was a pan of biscuits laying around.

Paternal Grandma - best pies. I can't even eat pies elsewhere, as her oil crust makes the pies you get a restaurant taste like it's wrapped in cardboard. Always had a blackberry and gooseberry patch out back so the fillings were fresh and natural, from scratch.
yummy!! God bless grandparents, I remember my grandmother making homemade vanilla and chocolate custard pies all from scatch, and molasses stack cakes with apple butter between them. I really liked them, but she passed away a long time ago, and I was to young to actually care how she made them so I don't have the receipe for them. :shake:

gblowfish
12-12-2004, 09:51 AM

Can I come over your house for dinner? What's in Texas Taters?

My mom makes Lemon Cake. It looks like a regular pound cake, only it's got a glaze like on a donut, and it's got real lemon juice and lemon pudding mix inside, and with a big glass of milk its about the best thing in the world!

Skip Towne
12-12-2004, 09:52 AM
Are you sure you want to part with those recipes?

Baby Lee
12-12-2004, 10:00 AM
I must say, I've carved myself a niche as a master of bachelor nouvelle. It's the art of taking prepackaged stuff and sprucing it up to near Zagat's quality. Mixing my own spices and fresh vegetables to Ramen. A killer sesame bagel, prosciutto basil pizzette. White Castle stuffing. Frozen tater cubes with bacon bits, onion, red bell pepper, cooked 'til crisp, then garnished with sour cream and On the Border sauce.

Raiderhater
12-12-2004, 10:09 AM
Can I come over your house for dinner? What's in Texas Taters?

My mom makes Lemon Cake. It looks like a regular pound cake, only it's got a glaze like on a donut, and it's got real lemon juice and lemon pudding mix inside, and with a big glass of milk its about the best thing in the world!

Hashbrowns, sour cream (mom usually doesn't tell people that until after they have tried it because it really isn't noticeable), chedda' cheese and crushed cornflakes on top. That's most of it anyway. To DIE for I'm telling you. Though I have continually through the course of my life tried to change the name of the damned things, but now that my folks are living in Texas, there is no such luck.

Over-Head
12-12-2004, 10:19 AM
I'm a really great cook! Not bragging, just stating a fact. I love food, and making new exciting things in the kitchen is usually right up my ally.

I created a Triple fudge, German Chocolate, Black forest cake that the better half and her gal pla’s informed me was “Cream your jean’s good”, followed by a few “oh my god something almost as good as sex”
And NO I”LL NEVER PART WITH THE RECIPE….trade secret I’m gonna die with.

One of my favorite Newfoundland cuisines is VERY simple, quick and easy, not to mention incredibly good.

“Fish Cake’s”, and or Called “Cod Cakes”.

-Take about a pound or so of salt codfish, preferably fillets (no bones to contend with)
***Just as a side note, fish that has been salted properly should be soaked for about 30 mins, dump the water, and repeat. Otherwise you may find the fish too salty.

-Boil about a pound or so of potatoes, mash em’ up, DO NOT ADD SALT, butter or milk.
***you want about half and half fish and spuds

-Finally chopped onion (to taste)
-Mix all of it together WHILE STILL HOT other wise you’ll not be able to make “cakes” out of it.
-make cakes the same way and size you would make a hamburger patty
**once made you can now cool off or freeze for later use.

-pan fry in a little butter or oil till golden brown.

Serve with what ever side you want, and enjoy.
Myself I put butter on them after I serve em’, and a dash of pepper.

BigOlChiefsfan
12-12-2004, 10:53 AM
My Mom was the best cook in our family, she did everything well. My maternal Grandmother made the best egg custard & the best fruit pies (use lard in the crust is the only thing I ever learned. I don't claim to know how to bake desserts). As kids we always picked huge amounts of wild blackberries & wild plums every summer, ticks & chiggers in July were the price you paid for desserts year round. She made excellent biscuits and gravy, and a killer pork roast. Paternal Grandmother made the best fried chicken/mashed potatoes/gravy. Brined her 'home grown/free-range' yard birds first, then marinated overnight in buttermilk. Even knowing the technique, none of us can 'duplicate' it. She was the expert. FWIW, brining + buttermilk or plain yoghurt marinades vastly improve fried rabbit/squirrel/pheasant as well. Quail don't need the help.

My great aunt made legendary chicken & dumplings, the best in my little hillbilly town (that's saying something). She'd always invite the pastor to join us when she made 'em, and he always ate way more than his share. Ever want to cripple a nice old preacher-man so he couldn't show up on time? Those chicken & dumplings were that good.

Looking for recipes/receipts? These links will help ya put on a few pounds:

http://www.recipesource.com/

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/

http://pie.allrecipes.com//

http://allrecipes.com/

http://www.texascooking.com/cookbook.htm

http://www.saveur.com/

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/

http://www.gumbopages.com/recipe-page.html

http://recipes.lidiasitaly.com/productslist.aspx?CategoryID=15&selection=1

Fairplay
12-12-2004, 11:05 AM
bramborové hranolky

RedNFeisty
12-12-2004, 11:06 AM
My mom and Aunt are okay cooks, the food tasted the way it should be. My Mema (grandma) use to be the best cook, again nothing special just good ole southern cookin.

My mother in law is infamous for looking in the cupboard and throwing things together, and it actually tasting good.

As for me, I have to have a recipes, but the chit will turn out awesome! I am known for finding strange recipes and trying them out on people. The latest one is Cajun Meatloaf, I love Meatloaf, but couldn't find one that I really liked. I do tend to be more of a baker, I hate cleaning the mess so normally our food is cooked elsewhere other then home!!

stumppy
12-12-2004, 11:19 AM
No comment

Good call.

Sure-Oz
12-12-2004, 11:25 AM
My mom and my aunt, hands down! My dad and uncle can cook good bbq stuff though.

LiL stumppy
12-12-2004, 11:31 AM
Good call.

I never had her cookies so I really can't say.And I have already made her mad not to alonge ago with a comment about her cooking.Which I might add is very very good.:)

Nzoner
12-12-2004, 11:34 AM
Hashbrowns, sour cream (mom usually doesn't tell people that until after they have tried it because it really isn't noticeable), chedda' cheese and crushed cornflakes on top. That's most of it anyway. To DIE for I'm telling you. Though I have continually through the course of my life tried to change the name of the damned things, but now that my folks are living in Texas, there is no such luck.

We're having that today my mrs calls it hashbrown casserole and you're right it is to DIE for.

Raiderhater
12-12-2004, 11:39 AM
We're having that today my mrs calls it hashbrown casserole and you're right it is to DIE for.

My mom stopped giving out the recipe (there are a few different versions that should be easy enough to find anyway) when people started ruining by using chunks of potatoes instead of hashbrowns. They would all rave about how good it was, and then turn around and fix it differently.

I think I am going to start calling it hashbrown casserole, I like that a lot better than Texas taters. Like these damned Texicans don't have a big enough ego as it is with out naming such a delicious dish after their state.

stumppy
12-12-2004, 11:41 AM
I never had her cookies so I really can't say.And I have already made her mad not to alonge ago with a comment about her cooking.Which I might add is very very good.:)

That's my boy.:D

badgirl
12-12-2004, 12:00 PM
That's my boy.:D
uh hu, I see, walk lightly boys, xmas isn't far off. :) :p