PDA

View Full Version : Beltran wants a 10 year $200 million deal?

Saulbadguy
12-13-2004, 01:11 PM
Wow..

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1945084

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Five years and 70 million bucks. That's the answer.

The question, here on this very special baseball edition of Double Jeopardy, is:

Carlos Beltran
Carlos Beltran's preference is to return to Houston.

What do the Houston Astros think Carlos Beltran is worth?

There were mixed signals Sunday on whether the Astros actually presented that offer to Beltran's agent, Scott Boras, this weekend at baseball's winter meetings. But Astros GM Tim Purpura did meet with Boras to discuss Beltran. And multiple sources indicated the Astros at least let Boras know those were the basic parameters they had in mind.

For the moment, of course, Boras finds that kind of talk more laughable than Saturday Night Live.

One team that inquired about Beltran reported it was told it wouldn't even be considered a "serious" bidder unless it was willing to begin the conversation with a 10-year, $200-million synonym for "hello."

And Boras continues to talk confidently of getting that price. Just don't ask where or from whom.

According to people who have spoken with the Yankees, they're prepared to deliver a very similar offer whenever Boras decides his offer shop is open for business: Five years, somewhere in the range of $70-75 million.

And, as other teams get sick of waiting around and turn their attention elsewhere, the only other team that looks like a potential bidder -- the Cubs -- are already at $90 million for next season and can't pursue anybody until (OK, make that unless) they find a new home for Sammy Sosa.

So where is this leading?

Boras' strategy, clearly, is to wait until he pops his New Year's Eve champagne corks and then get down to business.

At that point, it would be only a week until the deadline for Beltran to re-sign with the Astros. And, as an agent who loves deadlines almost as much as dollar signs, he no doubt anticipates the Astros will be so terrified of losing Beltran to the Yankees by then, they'll be adding years and millions to his pile by the shovelful.

But given owner Drayton McLane's frugal history, we wouldn't be so sure of that.

"We're not going to bid against ourselves," Purpura said. "What we're paid to do in this business is to analyze and evaluate what we think a player's value is. And we have a range, on the value scale, where we think Carlos fits in the market and where he fits in our budget. And that budget is probably the most significant part of the equation.

"So those are our parameters. And we can't be swept up in what somebody else might do."

Scott Boras
Boras

In other words, we wouldn't look for the Astros to triple their offer the first time Boras utters the magic phrase, "mystery team."

So if Boras reacts by nudging Beltran past that deadline, where it becomes impossible for him to return to Houston, it will be so late in the offseason that the Yankees conceivably could be the only remaining serious bidder. And how is that good for anybody?

We don't claim to know as much about negotiating as Boras. But in our experience, it's tough to stoke up a good bidding war when there's only one team playing.

And we're pretty sure Boss Steinbrenner didn't make all his money without figuring that out somewhere along the line himself.

Oh, maybe this strategy will, in fact, get Beltran the big buckaroos. Maybe it will make him the first free agent to bust through the $15 million-a-year barrier on a multiyear contract since Jason Giambi did it three winters ago.

But in the end, is his biggest client really being served by this approach?

"You know, baseball players like stability," said an official of one club that once thought it would be interested in Beltran. "This is crazy. This thing is going to drag into the middle of January, and maybe later. What's the point of that?"

But in the case of Beltran in particular, people who know him say he doesn't just like stability. He happens to like Houston.

He liked his teammates. He liked the city. He liked the large Hispanic community. He liked the atmosphere in the ballpark. He liked the way those KEEPCARLOSBELTRAN.COM signs seemed to multiply around town as the Astros began rolling into October.

In other words, his first choice is not to go play in New York. It's to return to Houston. He has told that to a number of his friends in baseball. He just hasn't told it to the Astros themselves -- because he hasn't been allowed to speak to them.

"Out of respect for Carlos, he's indicated he'd like things to go through Scott," Purpura said. "So we've respected that."

But sometime before these negotiations conclude, Purpura suggested, the Astros' brass wants to "have a dialogue" with Beltran himself. When a team makes a player the largest contract offer in franchise history, he said, it's not talking about making him just another employee. It's talking about "creating a significant partnership."

In other words, that five-year, $70 million offer is not one the Astros make lightly. But what they're finding out is that one man's "significant partnership" is another man's lowball offer -- one that can't even be considered "serious."

And there's no better commentary on the modern state of free-agent insanity than that.

Eleazar
12-13-2004, 01:15 PM
He'll get it, no question about that.

Saulbadguy
12-13-2004, 01:17 PM
He'll get it, no question about that.
Wouldn't that put him at what A-Rod makes?

Saulbadguy
12-13-2004, 01:18 PM
Oh..and I can't remember who they were, but I remember some of the Royals fans on here saying:

"We should dump Juan Gone, Santiago, Sweeney, and Randa so we can re-sign Beltran"

ROFL

Eleazar
12-13-2004, 01:22 PM
Wouldn't that put him at what A-Rod makes?

I think A-Rod's deal was about $25 million per year.

5 years/$70 million is 'only' $14 million a year. I was expecting someone to pay Beltran $15 million or more.

I'm sure the price will go up as the Sox bid on him to drive the price up for the Yankees and Houston makes a futile effort to outspend Goliath.

alpha_omega
F**K baseball!

ChiTown
Oh..and I can't remember who they were, but I remember some of the Royals fans on here saying:

"We should dump Juan Gone, Santiago, Sweeney, and Randa so we can re-sign Beltran"

ROFL

"In related news, the Royals are willing to sell their franchise, in order to get into the Carlos Beltran sweepstakes. Sadly, they are still $150MM shy of covering Beltrans contract."

Saulbadguy
12-13-2004, 01:23 PM
I think A-Rod's deal was about $25 million per year.

5 years/$70 million is 'only' $14 million a year. I was expecting someone to pay Beltran $15 million or more.

I'm sure the price will go up as the Sox bid on him to drive the price up for the Yankees and Houston makes a futile effort to outspend Goliath.
I believe they turned down 5 years/70 million, if I'm reading the article correctly.

Eleazar
12-13-2004, 01:24 PM

ROFL

KingPriest was the chief pimp of the "We should have resigned beltran" bandwagon. I could never make him understand that they could not put a deal on the table he would sign. He was going to test free-agency no matter what.

Everyone was saying that from Boras to Baird to Glass but around the time of Beltran-Watch, KP kept spouting that we should have traded Mike Sweeney and resigned him. It was actually pretty amusing.

Saulbadguy
12-13-2004, 01:25 PM
Ah..KingPriest..our resident genious. I should have known.

Hoover
12-13-2004, 01:26 PM
He will not touch 10 years 200 Mil

I think he will get a 5 year deal

If he signs with the Yankees they go over the 60/40 rule, so they need to move players before the sign Beltran to a huge deal.

Boras is helpomg the Cubs get rid of Sammy. Over the weekend 5-6 teams met with the Cubs front office, the Yankees being one of them.

I can see a Sosa for Kevin brown trade coming down the pipes, allowing the Cubs to save about 6 mil this year, and thus letting them go after Beltran.

Hoover
12-13-2004, 01:27 PM
I think Beltran will sign with a team for 18 Mil a year, no less IMO

ChiefsCountry
12-13-2004, 01:28 PM
Beltran is good but he isn't worth that much money.

Eleazar
12-13-2004, 01:31 PM
I believe they turned down 5 years/70 million, if I'm reading the article correctly.

I think that was the borderline of being a 'serious' bidder.

I bet he ends up getting close to $20 million. Pay-Rod makes $25 mill and didn't have a better year than Beltran.

AR - .280, 36 HR, 106 RBI
CB - .270, 38 HR, 104 RBI (25 of the 38 HR's were after he was traded)

BA is a little higher but you have to take into account that Beltran hit 8 home runs in the playoffs and put his team on his back

Pitt Gorilla
12-13-2004, 01:44 PM
If Beltran signs for 15 million per year, then the Royals COULD do it if they didn't have Sweeny's albitros of a contract around their knecks.

Iowanian
12-13-2004, 02:15 PM
Someone could probably Own the Royals for that contract.

beavis
12-13-2004, 03:17 PM
Anyone who pays him the 10-years $20 million is pretty much hanging their franchise for the next decade. Look what it did to Texas. They ended up paying a big chunk of it just to make it go away.

I bet he gets $16-$17 million/5 years, but no way he gets close to $20 million. By the time the bidding gets to that point, the only team left will be the Yankmes, and they aren't going to big against themselves.

Signing any athlete to a 10-year contract is just stupid.

tk13
12-13-2004, 03:31 PM
If Beltran signs for 15 million per year, then the Royals COULD do it if they didn't have Sweeny's albitros of a contract around their knecks.
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the team Boras told it needed a 10 year, 200 million dollar offer to get him was the Royals. Supposedly the rumor during the season was that Boras told the Royals they had to start with a 10 year deal if they wanted him re-signed, and we know Boras wasn't giving us a hometown discount.... which would also explain while Baird gave up on the issue a long time ago...

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-13-2004, 03:42 PM
Beltran is good but he isn't worth that much money.
No one is.

ChiefsFire
12-13-2004, 05:19 PM

ROFL
hell
to get that kinda money,they need to dump the ballboys,lemonade vendors,and the guy who cleans the crappers

Deberg_1990
12-13-2004, 06:38 PM
Shouldnt the title of this thread read: Beltrans Agent, Scott Boras wants a 10 year 200 mil deal?? Screw the agents!! They are all thats wrong with sports...

dtebbe
12-13-2004, 06:48 PM
Want in one hand and poop in the other......

you know the rest.

Some fools (read Yankees) will do it.

DT

Ari ümlaüt
12-13-2004, 07:50 PM
i want the cubs to get him.