PDA

View Full Version : If LJ proves it the rest of the way.......

penchief
12-13-2004, 11:00 PM
Would Chief fans be willing to build the offense around a power back with big play ability, Larry Johnson, and build the defense around our new defensive leader, Jared Allen. Even if it meant dealing a 32 year old Priest Holmes for maximum value?

Don't get me wrong. Holmes is my favorite running back since Terry Metcalf and Ed Podolak before him. But I think Johnson has the chance to be a serious threat. Look what he has done in his limited opportunities.

Of course, it will never happen as long as DV is here. I love Vermeil and think he is a great coach but I'm begining to believe KC could do better. I'm beginning to believe that Vermeil is trying too hard and buys into his own hype too much.

He's has clearly misjudged Johnson's talent and his LJ's character to the detriment of his team.

SBK
12-13-2004, 11:01 PM
NO.

David.
12-13-2004, 11:02 PM
how about we keep the best player the chiefs have had in forever?

Logical
12-13-2004, 11:04 PM
No, I do not want to go back to Martyball. Lets try for a compromise between what we have now and that.

penchief
12-13-2004, 11:16 PM
Even if it meant getting a couple top-notch defensive players like a linebacker that can tackle and a corner that can cover?

penchief
12-13-2004, 11:17 PM
No, I do not want to go back to Martyball. Lets try for a compromise between what we have now and that.

But it isn't Martyball when you have a running back that can bust an 80-yarder at any time.

Garcia Bronco
12-13-2004, 11:17 PM
Do it.

Garcia Bronco
12-13-2004, 11:18 PM
Gunther...you can't be that aggressive all the time.

penchief
12-14-2004, 12:10 AM
Seriously though, what if Johnson continues to show big play ability by breaking one or two long TD runs a game (which is his forte')? That threat combined with a dangerous wide reciever, Tony G. at tight end, and (believe it or not) Kris Wilson at HBack (another player that I believe has unique skills) could create impossible mismatches for any opposing defense.

Megbert
12-14-2004, 12:14 AM
I say keep Priest and have some 2 back sets with him and Johnson next year or one of them and Wilson provided he'll be healthy next year.

PastorMikH
12-14-2004, 12:15 AM
LJ does not yet = Priest Holmes and me may never rise to that level. Priest is a very special player. Regardless of how good LJ looks, next season I want him watching Priest play when Priest is healthy and the game is on the line. Priest can watch him play when there is a lead and Priest is catching a breather.

As for a power-back offense, our O is pretty much centered around the RB now. Maybe not a powerback style, but definately a RB centered attack. If we had Donnel Bennet and Bam Morris back there right now this offense wouldn't be nearly as potent - which tells me how valuable the RB is to this O.

Johnson has given us 2 good games, lets not get carried away moving him ahead of a player that has given us 4 great years.

penchief
12-14-2004, 12:20 AM
LJ does not yet = Priest Holmes and me may never rise to that level. Priest is a very special player. Regardless of how good LJ looks, next season I want him watching Priest play when Priest is healthy and the game is on the line. Priest can watch him play when there is a lead and Priest is catching a breather.

As for a power-back offense, our O is pretty much centered around the RB now. Maybe not a powerback style, but definately a RB centered attack. If we had Donnel Bennet and Bam Morris back there right now this offense wouldn't be nearly as potent - which tells me how valuable the RB is to this O.

Johnson has given us 2 good games, lets not get carried away moving him ahead of a player that has given us 4 great years.

Agreed. Bennet nor Morris were capable of what LJ accomplished tonight. In fact, LJ brings something to the table that even Holmes doesn't; the big play. Don't get me wrong; the 11 yard run is the most beautiful thing in football, as far as I am concerned, but look at the way Johnson single-handedly changed the momentum of this game in only 8 plays.

Alphaman
12-14-2004, 12:21 AM
Would Chief fans be willing to build the offense around a power back with big play ability, Larry Johnson, and build the defense around our new defensive leader, Jared Allen. Even if it meant dealing a 32 year old Priest Holmes for maximum value?

Don't get me wrong. Holmes is my favorite running back since Terry Metcalf and Ed Podolak before him. But I think Johnson has the chance to be a serious threat. Look what he has done in his limited opportunities.

Of course, it will never happen as long as DV is here. I love Vermeil and think he is a great coach but I'm begining to believe KC could do better. I'm beginning to believe that Vermeil is trying too hard and buys into his own hype too much.

He's has clearly misjudged Johnson's talent and his LJ's character to the detriment of his team.

No.

1 The cap hit for trading Holmes would preclude getting those defensive players you want to get

2 It's been proven over and over again that you need 2 really good RBs, maybe 3.

3 LJ will take over for Holmes in about 2 years. Priest is still one of the 3 best RBs in the league and the focus of the offense.

PastorMikH
12-14-2004, 12:25 AM
Agreed. Bennet nor Morris were capable of what LJ accomplished tonight. In fact, LJ brings something to the table that even Holmes doesn't; the big play. Don't get me wrong; the 11 yard run is the most beautiful thing in football, as far as I am concerned, but look at the way Johnson single-handedly changed the momentum of this game in only 8 plays.

LJ has had 2 decent GAMES. Priest has been one of if not THE top RB in each of the last 4 years.

Like I said, LJ still does not equal Priest - Priest is STILL a GREAT player.

And I'm not as concerned with a RB getting an occasional 30-40 yard run as I am a RB picking up those 1 and 2 yard runs when the chips are down. 3rd and 2, we KNOW Priest will get the first down.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm excited for LJ, but if Priest is healthy, I want him running the ball.

cdcox
12-14-2004, 12:33 AM
I want to ride Holmes as long as his body and desire to play hold up. LJ will get plenty of chances spelling Holmes in the next year or so, then being the star after Holmes hangs them up. Without the emergence of LJ, I had our offensive window closing at the end of next season, at the latest. Now, I think we can possibly keep the offense near the top of the league for a few more years.

And LJ seems to do fine in the offense we have now, without reverting to some cromagon offensive philosophy.

Hammock Parties
12-14-2004, 12:52 AM
LJ will be Priest's successor.

LJ can help us next year by relieving the amount of work Priest is forced to do. Thereby keeping Priest fresher.

It's a perfect situation.

penchief
12-14-2004, 01:00 AM
I want to ride Holmes as long as his body and desire to play hold up. LJ will get plenty of chances spelling Holmes in the next year or so, then being the star after Holmes hangs them up. Without the emergence of LJ, I had our offensive window closing at the end of next season, at the latest. Now, I think we can possibly keep the offense near the top of the league for a few more years.

And LJ seems to do fine in the offense we have now, without reverting to some cromagon offensive philosophy.

You gotta admit it, though. As a chief fan it's awful nice to see long TD runs by a running back. How long has it been? Joe Delaney? And Johnson is capable every time he touches the ball. That is what you call unique ability.