PDA

View Full Version : Some Thoughts on the Titans Game

Alphaman
12-14-2004, 12:05 AM
Gun is a GENIOUS!!! Knowing that we can't cover the other team's best receiver, Gun decides to have the players let him run free in the first half, thus tiring him out....causing cramps and dehydration.

For a fan like me, this game couldn't have played out any better. Larry Johnson proved that last week was not a fluke. Man he is much faster than I thought he was. Further, the defense proved that the season was not a fluke. They are really that bad. It sure seems that this offseason is setting up to be one of a defensive overhaul. We must get a top flight CB, a pass rushing DE to be a bookend to Jared Allen, and a playmaking LB (Keith Bulluck is a man, btw). Finally, Morton proved that he is done and needs to be replaced (did I mention Jerry Porter). Frankly, I'd like to replace Kennison as well, but I'm not sure that Vermeil would make that move.

2 thoughts:

1) Do you think the Dolphins and Buccaneers regret not trading for Larry Johnson now? It's time to elevate him ahead of Blaylock. He just seems to be more productive with the ball in his hands.

2) I was very impressed with the DEs play on the bootleg, we'll see plenty of that next week against Denver. However, the LBs and Safties did not play well behind them in covering it

patteeu
12-14-2004, 12:41 AM
Gun is a GENIOUS!!! Knowing that we can't cover the other team's best receiver, Gun decides to have the players let him run free in the first half, thus tiring him out....causing cramps and dehydration.

For a fan like me, this game couldn't have played out any better. Larry Johnson proved that last week was not a fluke. Man he is much faster than I thought he was. Further, the defense proved that the season was not a fluke. They are really that bad. It sure seems that this offseason is setting up to be one of a defensive overhaul. We must get a top flight CB, a pass rushing DE to be a bookend to Jared Allen, and a playmaking LB (Keith Bulluck is a man, btw). Finally, Morton proved that he is done and needs to be replaced (did I mention Jerry Porter). Frankly, I'd like to replace Kennison as well, but I'm not sure that Vermeil would make that move.

2 thoughts:

1) Do you think the Dolphins and Buccaneers regret not trading for Larry Johnson now? It's time to elevate him ahead of Blaylock. He just seems to be more productive with the ball in his hands.

2) I was very impressed with the DEs play on the bootleg, we'll see plenty of that next week against Denver. However, the LBs and Safties did not play well behind them in covering it

You have become one of my favorite ChiefsPlanet analysts. Thanks for your posts.

Great take on the Gun plan to exhaust Drew Bennett, BTW. ROFL

Alphaman
12-14-2004, 07:48 PM
You have become one of my favorite ChiefsPlanet analysts. Thanks for your posts.

Gracias!!!! :thumb:

|Zach|
12-14-2004, 07:49 PM
It was pretty funny when I saw it said on TV last night on the gamecast...

DanT
12-14-2004, 07:51 PM

ROFL

whoman69
12-14-2004, 07:56 PM
Here's to hoping that Gun can get some players next year and prove his genious in more productive ways.

WilliamTheIrish
12-14-2004, 08:34 PM
1) I had no idea that LJ was that fast. Two defenders had angle on him and he outran them to the EZ. That's speed baby.

2) I'll disagree with the Jerry Porter idea. He's another #2 receiver. At best. If we can get him cheap AND get a real #1 THEN, I'd take a flyer on him. (Although I don't know who the best FA WR's are.)

3) Our own front office ineptness has kept LJ on the roster. Had our Head Coach not been bad mouthing him, we may have already traded him for a McCardell (Which would have been a huge mistake in hindsight.) So we screwed up, just in reverse this time.

4) We haven't defended the bootleg against Denver in countless seasons. I expect nothing different this time around.

The D will be eaten alive by another shiotty QB, but hopefully we'll unleash LJ on them BEFORE the 3rd quarter.

DaKCMan AP
12-14-2004, 08:39 PM
2) I'll disagree with the Jerry Porter idea. He's another #2 receiver. At best. If we can get him cheap AND get a real #1 THEN, I'd take a flyer on him. (Although I don't know who the best FA WR's are.)

I disagree. I think Jerry Porter can be a #1 guy and I think he would fit our system well. He is fast, athletic, can run after the catch and I can imagine him running crossing routes and slants that we like to do, while keeping a guy like EK to stretch the D (which Porter can do too at times).

tk13
12-14-2004, 08:47 PM
LJ's speed was always the one area that I thought was underrated, he's the best home run threat we have. He just doesn't look fast, but he is. In the last two weeks has had the three longest runs from scrimmage by a Chiefs' RB in the last two seasons (actually since the run where Priest hurt his hip).

WilliamTheIrish
12-14-2004, 08:51 PM
I disagree. I think Jerry Porter can be a #1 guy and I think he would fit our system well. He is fast, athletic, can run after the catch and I can imagine him running crossing routes and slants that we like to do, while keeping a guy like EK to stretch the D (which Porter can do too at times).

Check his career stats. He's a #2. He has iffy hands. The guy is bigger stronger version of our two receivers now.

Pass.

DaKCMan AP
12-14-2004, 08:58 PM
Check his career stats. He's a #2. He has iffy hands. The guy is bigger stronger version of our two receivers now.

Pass.

Joe Horn's stats weren't too good before he left for New Orleans.

WilliamTheIrish
12-14-2004, 09:11 PM
Joe Horn's stats weren't too good before he left for New Orleans.

Horn wasn't let go because of stats. Horn was productive. He made big plays. His 1999 stats are 35 catches 586 with 6 TD's, with 9 catches of 20 yards or more.

Horn was let go in FA because the coaching staff thought he was a disruptive influence. (Grunhard told the tale of Joe Horn a couple months back on his show.)

Christ if the coaching staff could have kept a handle on Joe Horn we'd not be having these conversations.

Porter has iffy hands, has nowhere near the speed of Joe Horn and shouldn't command #1 WR money in Free Agency. (IMO)

But we disagree. That's cool.

Alphaman
12-14-2004, 09:15 PM
3) Our own front office ineptness has kept LJ on the roster. Had our Head Coach not been bad mouthing him, we may have already traded him for a McCardell (Which would have been a huge mistake in hindsight.) So we screwed up, just in reverse this time.

4) We haven't defended the bootleg against Denver in countless seasons. I expect nothing different this time around.

The D will be eaten alive by another shiotty QB, but hopefully we'll unleash LJ on them BEFORE the 3rd quarter.

Carl had no intention of trading LJ without getting a #1 pick for him. That's not inept, that's sticking to your guns. In hindsight, Carl was correct.

Like I said, the DEs defensed the bootleg extremely well last night. It will be interesting to see if we can do it again and get the LBs and Safeties to do the same.