PDA

View Full Version : Hell just froze over

Nzoner
12-14-2004, 07:00 PM
Nothing is sacred anymore.Being a fan of Queen I can only use a quote from the movie Highlander(which Queen did the music for) in regards to lead singer Freddie Mercury,"There can be only one."

Personally,I think this a bad move and if and when this show hits the states one I will not be going to.

THE TOUR - VH1 REPORT
*Queen to tour in the spring with "The Voice"

Queen is looking to tour in the spring, with Bad Company's Paul Rodgers handling the vocals. Apparently the news was meant to be kept under wraps, but Brian May's Web site has a quote from May himself "endorsing" the news. May said: "It really all came about because of the Fender 50th Anniversary gig that I did with Paul Rodgers. We were both so amazed at the chemistry that was going on in 'All Right Now,' that suddenly it seems blindingly obvious that there was 'something happening here.'" Originally the two were just talking about going it as a duo, but then they got Queen drummer Roger Taylor in on it and a Queen/Rodgers tour began to take shape. The trio will play songs from both the Queen songbook as well as from Bad Company and Rodgers' other band Free. According to May, the tour should be underway by April.

FloridaChief
12-14-2004, 07:01 PM
You just knew something like this was bound to happen eventually...

Calcountry
12-14-2004, 07:22 PM
Well, the Red Sox won the world series...

David.
12-14-2004, 07:27 PM
well it IS ****ing cold outside.

4th and Long
12-14-2004, 07:37 PM
I heard this on the radio this morning. Brian May had nothing but good things to say about Paul Rodgers. May said they wanted to do some "new stuff" and we shouldn't expect this to be "Paul Rodgers sings all of Freddie's songs" sort of band.

Shades of VanHagar? Stay tuned. This should be interesting.

el borracho
12-14-2004, 08:01 PM
Wow. I have mixed thoughts on this. Queen's News of the World was my first album (that wasn't a kid album) and I would be sick to see them embarrass themselves. Then again, if these guys want to go on tour it is their lives and who cares what I think, anyway? It's not like I expect them to do absolutely nothing for the rest of their lives just so they don't offend my sense of nostalgia. They would probably be better received if they wrote some new material instead of just going on tour and covering only old stuff.

el borracho
12-14-2004, 08:03 PM
May said they wanted to do some "new stuff" and we shouldn't expect this to be "Paul Rodgers sings all of Freddie's songs" sort of band.
One step behind the greats, I am.

4th and Long
12-14-2004, 08:04 PM
One step behind the greats, I am.
Please don't type like Yoda talks. It freaks me out.

Nzoner
12-14-2004, 08:28 PM
Wow. I have mixed thoughts on this. Queen's News of the World was my first album (that wasn't a kid album) and I would be sick to see them embarrass themselves. Then again, if these guys want to go on tour it is their lives and who cares what I think, anyway? It's not like I expect them to do absolutely nothing for the rest of their lives just so they don't offend my sense of nostalgia. They would probably be better received if they wrote some new material instead of just going on tour and covering only old stuff.

I agree with it being their lives and careers but just can't picture Paul Rodgers(or anyone for that matter) trying to cover Freddie's vocals.If there was ever a one-of-a-kind voice,Freddie's had to be it.

Frazod
12-14-2004, 08:32 PM
:shake:

Bad idea. Freddie cannot be replaced or duplicated.

4th and Long
12-14-2004, 08:35 PM
I agree with it being their lives and careers but just can't picture Paul Rodgers(or anyone for that matter) trying to cover Freddie's vocals.If there was ever a one-of-a-kind voice,Freddie's had to be it.
What? Are my posts invisible?
May said they wanted to do some "new stuff" and we shouldn't expect this to be "Paul Rodgers sings all of Freddie's songs" sort of band.

Frazod
12-14-2004, 08:38 PM

Apparently. :p

4th and Long
12-14-2004, 08:39 PM
Apparently. :p
:cuss:

:p

Nzoner
12-14-2004, 08:40 PM

No,I read it,I just think Paul Rodgers(or anyone)trying to cover even one of Freddie's vocals is a bad idea.

btw,love the new sig :thumb:

go bo
12-14-2004, 08:40 PM
What? Are my posts invisible?your posts may be invisible, but it's hard to miss your sig pic... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Frazod
12-14-2004, 08:41 PM
:cuss:

:p

You likened this to Van Hagar, but I disagree. This would be like Van Halen without Eddie.

And I've seen Van Hagar in concert. Sammy covered David Lee's stuff just fine, IMO.

tk13
12-14-2004, 08:44 PM
This is horrible news, I don't like the idea, no way he can match Freddie Mercury. Their best bet is to just try and play some new stuff and not try to be a "Paul Rodgers sings all of Freddie's songs" kind of band.

4th and Long
12-14-2004, 08:45 PM
You likened this to Van Hagar, but I disagree. This would be like Van Halen without Eddie.

And I've seen Van Hagar in concert. Sammy covered David Lee's stuff just fine, IMO.
Ive always liked Sammy. Have for ages. I only used that reference to draw a parallel because we are talking about lead singers.

BTW, I hear Diamond Dave is doing ride alongs in ambulances to get his paramedic license. He's gone from lead singer in a rock band to the hauler of sickly persons. How freakish is that?

Frazod
12-14-2004, 08:49 PM
Ive always liked Sammy. Have for ages. I only used that reference to draw a parallel because we are talking about lead singers.

BTW, I hear Diamond Dave is doing ride alongs in ambulances to get his paramedic license. He's gone from lead singer in a rock band to the hauler of sickly persons. How freakish is that?

It's definitely odd, but what the hell. If he's serious, more power to him. Of course, it's not like I care all that much.

headsnap
12-14-2004, 08:51 PM
Personally, I love the version of 'We Are the Champions' with Robbie Williams singing with Queen backing him.

stevieray
12-14-2004, 09:24 PM
:shake: :shake: :shake:

|Zach|
12-14-2004, 09:25 PM
Not a good thing.

whoman69
12-14-2004, 10:26 PM
This will be like the Doors without Morrison.

BigRedChief
12-14-2004, 10:29 PM
Highlander is a classic. And not just because I'm from the Mcloud clan.:harumph:

TheNextStep
12-14-2004, 10:33 PM
I see everyone saying that this is bad because of what Paul Rodgers will do and it'll mess up Queen's sound...

F*** Queen! Paul Rodgers is freakin' brilliant. Here's something for you: Paul Rodgers is a better rock and roll singer than Freddie Mercury was. Period.

patteeu
12-14-2004, 11:36 PM

I thought Maurice Gibb of the Bee Gees had a one-of-a-kind voice until I saw the Scissor Sisters on SNL last Saturday. :shake:

stevieray
12-14-2004, 11:39 PM
I see everyone saying that this is bad because of what Paul Rodgers will do and it'll mess up Queen's sound...

F*** Queen! Paul Rodgers is freakin' brilliant. Here's something for you: Paul Rodgers is a better rock and roll singer than Freddie Mercury was. Period.

Paul Rogers does have a great rock voice, but there is no comparison.

I'd bet that if the roles were reversed, Mercury wouldn't be singing BadCo songs.

patteeu
12-14-2004, 11:41 PM
I don't know if this is gonna work. Nothing against Brian May, John Deacon, and Roger Taylor, but I think they'd be better off writing new material than covering all those old Bad Company songs. :p

patteeu
12-14-2004, 11:42 PM
I'd bet that if the roles were reversed, Mercury wouldn't be singing BadCo songs.

Dammit!

Rausch
12-15-2004, 12:36 AM
As a person who always has hated Queen, with a passion, I can still say this is a $#it idea...

Taco John
12-15-2004, 12:42 AM
I hate it when aged rockers run out of ideas...

Do like Slash did and form a new band, and leave the old stuff the way that it is.

grandllama
12-15-2004, 03:18 AM
I hate it when aged rockers run out of ideas...

Do like Slash did and form a new band, and leave the old stuff the way that it is.

dammit I hate when I agree with Taco (which is more often than not... if we could just exorcise him from his love of bruised plum purple and jack o lantern under the 4x4 orange)

grandllama
12-15-2004, 03:19 AM
This will be like the Doors without Morrison.

yeah, but it will be better than those benefits they did with George Michael after Freddy died...

ZepSinger
12-15-2004, 09:48 AM

What Fraz said.

I say- leave it alone and don't tarnish the legend, man...

Nzoner
12-15-2004, 09:53 AM
This is horrible news, I don't like the idea, no way he can match Freddie Mercury. Their best bet is to just try and play some new stuff and not try to be a "Paul Rodgers sings all of Freddie's songs" kind of band.

Personally,I'd like to see May and Taylor perform the songs they did with Queen,I'm In Love With My Car,'39 etc and have Rodgers do some Bad Company and Free with some new material mixed in.

Just leave Freddie's stuff alone.

Bob Dole
12-15-2004, 10:27 AM
Video of Queen+Rodgers performing <i>Alright Now</i>.

http://www.texarkanarocks.com/videos/queenrodgers-alrightnow.wmv

<i>We Will Rock You</i> and <i>We are the Champions</i> is at

http://www.texarkanarocks.com/videos/queenrodgers-rockyou.wmv

stumppy
12-15-2004, 10:45 AM

Not at all. It's just that anythime you post something we all just look at your Sig. and Avatar pics.

Nzoner
12-15-2004, 12:13 PM
Video of Queen+Rodgers performing <i>Alright Now</i>.

http://www.texarkanarocks.com/videos/queenrodgers-alrightnow.wmv

<i>We Will Rock You</i> and <i>We are the Champions</i> is at

http://www.texarkanarocks.com/videos/queenrodgers-rockyou.wmv

Scott thanks for the links.

Guess I'm a purist though as after viewing this I'm still not sold on Rodgers vocals for a Queen song.It's okay but no way would I pay to see it.

As for All Right Now,that wasn't bad at all and of course Brian May was excellent on the guitar.

OPChief
12-15-2004, 12:35 PM
"F*** Queen! Paul Rodgers is freakin' brilliant. Here's something for you: Paul Rodgers is a better rock and roll singer than Freddie Mercury was. Period."

Dude, either that is a pi$$ poor attempt at sarcasm, or you are just plain stupid.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. NO ONE could ever compare to Freddie's vocals and the incredible vocal/musical combination the band produced, when all combined with one another. I grew up a huge Queen fan, and I still am. Having started to go to concerts when I was 15 or 16, in 1986, I unfortunately never had the opportunity to see Queen- my most major "never got to see them" concert disappointment. While no one could ever compare to Freddie Mercury, at the same time I would love to be able to see the rest of the band- I'll probably see this tour, provided it comes close to KC. But did I read that right? No John Deacon?

Bob Dole
12-15-2004, 12:41 PM
Guess I'm a purist though as after viewing this I'm still not sold on Rodgers vocals for a Queen song.It's okay but no way would I pay to see it.

Bob Dole supposes it kind of like the Kirk versus Picard thing except different.

It certinaly isn't Queen with Mercury vocals, but it's apparent that Rodger's isn't trying to be Mercury on vocals. He's not trying to reproduce Mercury's phrasing, and is just being Paul Rodgers singing a Queen song in his own Paul Rodgers way.

If they come out with new original stuff, Bob Dole will definitely check it out. Rodgers still has some ****ing pipes and May ain't lost a lick.

OPChief
12-15-2004, 12:43 PM
I just listened to those links... Geez, he really butchers "We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions"... :(

Having said that, its still worth a listen, just to hear Brian May. :thumb:

Nzoner
12-15-2004, 12:44 PM
Bob Dole supposes it kind of like the Kirk versus Picard thing except different.

It certinaly isn't Queen with Mercury vocals, but it's apparent that Rodger's isn't trying to be Mercury on vocals. He's not trying to reproduce Mercury's phrasing, and is just being Paul Rodgers singing a Queen song in his own Paul Rodgers way.

If they come out with new original stuff, Bob Dole will definitely check it out. Rodgers still has some ****ing pipes and May ain't lost a lick.

Absolutely agree and I would love to hear some original stuff from these guys.

Gaz
12-15-2004, 12:47 PM
I was a big Queen fan back in the day. I loved the intricate harmonies, off-beat tunes and unexpected musical turns. Mercury had a very distinctive voice, but I am not going to say that no one can sing Queen songs. However, I am going to say that Paul Rodgers is not the guy to bring a Queen song to life. Admittedly, the cuts were live and I give a bit of slack for that, but Rodger's voice just does not match the Queen songs.

I saw Queen in concert many years ago. Mercury had a cold, so he avoided the high notes. Still, they put on quite a show.

For those of you who like Brian May's distinctive guitar work [like me], you should check out his CD "Into the Light." There are some very good tunes on that one. "Resurrection,""Into the Light," "Everything I Do" and "Too Much Love Will Kill You" are my favorites.

FWIW, I prefer the Van Hagar sound to Van Halen. Never was a Roth fan.

xoxo~
Gaz
Aging rocker.

Nzoner
12-15-2004, 12:58 PM
I saw Queen in concert many years ago. Mercury had a cold, so he avoided the high notes. Still, they put on quite a show.

xoxo~
Gaz
Aging rocker.

I had the opportunity to see them in concert twice,quite a show is right.

Thankfully a number of their shows were either filmed or recorded as I'm trying to add all to my collection.So far I've got Live At Wembley and Live Killers on cd,on DVD I have We Will Rock You and their performance on the Live Aid disc set which was just released.I'm hoping to add Queen Live at the Hollywood Bowl next.

Also,while in Vegas this last October I took in the musical We Will Rock You at The Paris and it was unbelieveable.4 stars,two thumbs magnificent.I can't get back to Vegas soon enough to see it again.

Bob Dole
12-15-2004, 01:02 PM
I had the opportunity to see them in concert twice,quite a show is right.

Thankfully a number of their shows were either filmed or recorded as I'm trying to add all to my collection.

You might want to check out this guy's collection. You've got a long way to go, Joe.

http://www.mercuryparadise.com/hyper/MP_CollQueenVideos.html

Nzoner
12-15-2004, 01:06 PM
You might want to check out this guy's collection. You've got a long way to go, Joe.

http://www.mercuryparadise.com/hyper/MP_CollQueenVideos.html

heh,and I thought I was a fan.

Luckily,the Mrs hasn't asked for my Christmas list yet,think I'll print that out and give it to her.