PDA

View Full Version : Looks like LJ may be getting his first start....

Devin Vierth
12-15-2004, 08:35 AM
VERMEIL:“As for guys getting better than they were, how about Larry Johnson? He’s gaining confidence and a better understanding of what’s happening within the running game, how to read the blocks, a little more patient getting to the line of scrimmage and more explosive when he gets there, pulling through tackles with his powerful legs and then speeding around the corner. I’m happy for him, really proud of him. It’s great to see a guy who’s been put through what he’s been through get to where he can walk off the field with a big grin and having people interview him and be the last guy in the locker room before we have our team prayer. He’s gone through tough times, some of it he’s brought on himself and some of it we’ve brought on him. But it’s a maturing experience for him.”

Q: If Derrick Blaylock can’t start, will we assume he will this Sunday?

VERMEIL: “Yes.”

Q: He’ll make his first start Sunday.

VERMEIL: “Yes. I haven’t met with the offensive coaches or defensive coaches. Everybody got a couple of hours of sleep and some guys just came in and went to work on Denver.”

KCTitus
12-15-2004, 08:37 AM
VERMEIL:“As for guys getting better than they were, how about Larry Johnson?

I dont understand DV's incessant need to allways criticize LJ for no reason. Why cant he just compliment the guy on a good game?

nmt1
12-15-2004, 08:40 AM
I dont understand DV's incessant need to allways criticize LJ for no reason. Why cant he just compliment the guy on a good game?

It's a good thing Larry didn't eat nachos.

Devin Vierth
12-15-2004, 08:40 AM

I just don't get it either...... :rolleyes:

Skip Towne
12-15-2004, 08:46 AM
Most coaches bust their butt to avoid dissension in the locker room. VD promotes it. I'm ready for him to take a hike.

MichaelH
12-15-2004, 08:47 AM

Because a crabby old egotistical SOB? :shrug:

ptlyon
12-15-2004, 08:49 AM
I guess I'm the only one who didn't read it that way.

KCTitus
12-15-2004, 08:49 AM

:D

Devin Vierth
12-15-2004, 08:54 AM

Well, maybe three of us... :)

Chiefnj
12-15-2004, 09:06 AM
Right now Saunders is pleading his case to DV that Richardson should start.

MichaelH
12-15-2004, 09:09 AM

I didn't read it that way either. I just think DV has become a crabby old SOB.

KcMizzou
12-15-2004, 09:12 AM
Most coaches bust their butt to avoid dissension in the locker room. VD promotes it. I'm ready for him to take a hike. A year ago, I'd have thought you were nuts... I'm starting to come around to your way of thinking.

HC_Chief
12-15-2004, 09:13 AM
Trade him to SF for their #2.
Obtain Travis Henry via FA.

Saulbadguy
12-15-2004, 09:13 AM
Most coaches bust their butt to avoid dissension in the locker room. VD promotes it. I'm ready for him to take a hike.
Venereal disease? :shrug:

Eleazar
12-15-2004, 09:16 AM
Vermeil haters :shake:

the Talking Can
12-15-2004, 09:25 AM
if LJ played more like Bartee he'd be DV's best friend

Braincase
12-15-2004, 09:25 AM
After hearing LJ's interview yesterday, sounds to me like the guy he doesn't get along with is Saunders. He loves Saxon, the RB coach, but he more or less summed up his relationship with Saunders as non-existant. Saunders calls the plays, LJ runs the plays.

I'm betting that Saunders is the guy that lied to LJ about his place on the team, and his getting carries at the start of the season. Al better make ammends with the young man, because this guy may very well turn out to be somebodies franchise player in a year or two, and I would prefer he were ours rather than theirs.

Skip Towne
12-15-2004, 09:32 AM
A year ago, I'd have thought you were nuts... I'm starting to come around to your way of thinking.
A month ago I was ready to string beerme up for saying things like that. Now I'm seeing he was right.

Chan93lx50
12-15-2004, 09:56 AM
The bad blood between Dick and LJ must have ran pretty thick, but I think DV is coming around.

On the other hand eat your crow Dick and give the guy some love and cry for will ya!

ChiefsCountry
12-15-2004, 09:59 AM
How come DV can complain about LJ, but never says shit about our defense?

Devin Vierth
12-15-2004, 10:00 AM
The bad blood between Dick and LJ must have ran pretty thick, but I think DV is coming around.

On the other hand eat your crow Dick and give the guy some love and cry for will ya!

Looks like it:

HOLTHUS: Larry Johnson is now a sung hero. Not just his two runs, but he had some key pass protections a couple of times and what about his catch on the game winning drive?

VERMEIL: “Well, that was a nice catch. It was a low ball. Everything Larry is doing right now is positive. His attitude is positive, his work ethic is positive. I just can’t say enough good things about him right now.”

cookster50
12-15-2004, 10:16 AM
Q: If Derrick Blaylock can’t start, will we assume he will this Sunday?

VERMEIL: “Yes.”

Q: He’ll make his first start Sunday.

VERMEIL: “Yes. I haven’t met with the offensive coaches or defensive coaches. Everybody got a couple of hours of sleep and some guys just came in and went to work on Denver.”

Wow, you mean that since the starter is out, the backup will start? I don't get it!!

Who the heck would they start if not LJ if DBlay cannot play? DUH!

chiefz
12-15-2004, 10:18 AM
Finally, he certainly deserves to get the same respect as Blaylock after the last several performances.

Deberg_1990
12-15-2004, 10:20 AM

Ive been wondering the same thing??????????

gblowfish
12-15-2004, 10:34 AM
Leon is BLOWIN UP, Y'All. Leon is starting. How can you not start Leon after that stellar performance on MNF? Tuesday Mornin you saw Leon on ESPN, Fox, ABC...on all the local talk radio...kickin it with Whitfat. You know, he dissed me earlier. But I'm a man, you dig? He was doggin' Leon, but now he has respect for Leon and he's swimmin in my wake. Leon's Dad and Leon's agent will both be on the sidelines Sunday, when Leon puts the smack down on the Donks. Miami...Chicago...Oakland...be watchin', 'cause come draft day you may be tradin' for Leon, cause you know you want Leon! Leon may have been in street clothes for eight games, Hell...that just kept Leon's freshness sealed in, like a big Ol can of coffee!!! Here comes another rushing game for a buck...who knows how many times Leon will go to the house? That all depends on how much Vitamin E Leon can get his hands on between now and Sunday!

Chan93lx50
12-15-2004, 10:35 AM

Very good point

Deberg_1990
12-15-2004, 10:38 AM
Leon is BLOWIN UP, Y'All. Leon is starting. How can you not start Leon after that stellar performance on MNF? Tuesday Mornin you saw Leon on ESPN, Fox, ABC...on all the local talk radio...kickin it with Whitfat. You know, he dissed me earlier. But I'm a man, you dig? He was doggin' Leon, but now he has respect for Leon and he's swimmin in my wake. Leon's Dad and Leon's agent will both be on the sidelines Sunday, when Leon puts the smack down on the Donks. Miami...Chicago...Oakland...be watchin', 'cause come draft day you may be tradin' for Leon, cause you know you want Leon! Leon may have been in street clothes for eight games, Hell...that just kept Leon's freshness sealed in, like a big Ol can of coffee!!! Here comes another rushing game for a buck...who knows how many times Leon will go to the house? That all depends on how much Vitamin E Leon can get his hands on between now and Sunday!

Why do you always have to "hate" on LJ by making fun of him?? At least give him a chance?

penchief
12-15-2004, 05:44 PM
Trade him to SF for their #2.
Obtain Travis Henry via FA.

I see where you're coming from but I think enough people are intrigued with LJ's skills and his potential. You don't just trade away guys that are playmakers; guys that make a difference. Johnson definitely looks like a playmaker. And I don't think anyone can get a feel for just how unique he might ultimately be. He might not end up any better than Travis Henry and I like Henry, too. But LJ has given us enough reason to believe he might be special.

I know it would be horrible if we traded him and he proved capable of producing like he has so far or like he did at Penn State. So far, he hasn't really given anyone reason to believe that he isn't capable of reproducing those numbers.

Rausch
12-15-2004, 06:01 PM
DB is going to test the FA waters (ie, sign for more money elsewhere.

LJ is going to be here, scoring long TD runs, next year when Holmes can't go. LJ will be our back of the future.

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-15-2004, 06:03 PM
I'm no Vermeil lover, but I thought kinda thought that was a compliment.

Rausch
12-15-2004, 06:04 PM
I'm no Vermeil lover, but I thought kinda thought that was a compliment.

That's kind of his point... :thumb:

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-15-2004, 06:07 PM
A month ago I was ready to string beerme up for saying things like that. Now I'm seeing he was right.
Awwwww....I'm all veclempt....

:D

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-15-2004, 06:08 PM
That's kind of his point... :thumb:
huh...?

what point.......?

:thumb:

Logical
12-15-2004, 07:20 PM

ROFL you should be writing for those commercials. I would give you rep but I just did yesterday.

Logical
12-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Why do you always have to "hate" on LJ by making fun of him?? At least give him a chance?

You need to calibrate your sense of humor and put your sensitivity threshold on low. That post is pure humor gold.

BigRedChief
12-15-2004, 07:35 PM
huh...?

what point.......?

:thumb:

Where's KCTitus and his reading comprehension lessons when you need them?

tk13
12-15-2004, 07:38 PM
Either everybody in this thread saying DV is being too critical is pulling a Titus (and a poor one at that) or everybody's seeing something critical in DV's comments that I'm just not seeing....

Calcountry
12-15-2004, 08:03 PM
I just don't get it either...... :rolleyes:
How about, some guys buttons NEED to be pushed like LJ's.

I remember our football coach, also my PE coach, completely insulting me in front of the whole class, when it was time to final for bench press.

I was copping a lame ass excuse and he says.

"WHAT DO YOU WANT ME DO DO? LIFT IT FOR YOU???"

Guess what, I pushed more weight right there than I had up to that point.

Thats a good coach, getting the most out of the players.

LJ still has a long way to go. He can be a GREAT football player, not just a good football player. I believe that DV wants him to reach that Marcus Allen type potential, it is his job at least to try and get it out of him. Some people are naturally self motivated. Others need to be able to fit within a larger scheme of things. Others just never get control of their attitude and end up back downtown.

No one is happier than me to see that kid wearing our colors streaking like a freak straight for the end zone.

booger
12-15-2004, 08:10 PM
I bet the Bucs take a long look at DB. When the LJ trade discussions were going on for Mcardell, the Bucs seemed to have as much if not more interest in blaylock.