PDA

View Full Version : Which players should make baseball HOF?

whoman69
12-15-2004, 08:04 PM
• Dick Allen
• Bobby Bonds
• Ken Boyer
• Rocky Colavito
• Wes Ferrell
• Curt Flood
• Joe Gordon
• Gil Hodges
• Elston Howard
• Jim Kaat
• Mickey Lolich
• Sparky Lyle
• Marty Marion
• Roger Maris
• Carl Mays
• Minnie Minoso
• Thurman Munson
• Don Newcombe
• Tony Oliva
• Vada Pinson
• Ron Santo
• Luis Tiant
• Joe Torre
• Smoky Joe Wood
• Maury Wills

YOU MAY VOTE MORE THAN ONE

teedubya
12-15-2004, 09:20 PM
Definately Will Ferrell. He is hall-of-fame hilarious.

teedubya
12-15-2004, 09:22 PM
should have had "Shoeless" Joe Jackson and Rose on that list.

Ultra Peanut
12-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Where's Ryno, you asshole?

whoman69
12-15-2004, 10:14 PM
Where's Ryno, you asshole?
These are the Vets commitee finalists.

whoman69
12-15-2004, 10:15 PM
should have had "Shoeless" Joe Jackson and Rose on that list.
Can't agree with that at all. If they had been more sucessful in their gambling endeavors, baseball would have been like boxing in the 50s when you weren't sure if anyone was taking a dive.

Boardin Bronco
12-15-2004, 10:16 PM
I voted for three players:

Ron Santo: One of the top 10 3B of all-time. 3B is the most under represented position in the HOF.

Minnie Minoso: A very good all-around OF in the bigs for a long, long time. When he first hit the bigs, he was a GREAT player but his career numbers fall short because he didn't debut in the bigs until 27 because of race issues.

Joe Gordon: He was the best American League 2B of his generation. His rival of the day Bobby Doerr is in the HOF with less credentials.

Boardin Bronco
12-15-2004, 10:21 PM
Here's some guys I didn't vote for, but might consider:

Marty Marion might deserve consideration as an Ozzie Smith/Luis Aparacio defensive SS.

Marion had a better glove and his career was comparable to Pee Wee Reese and Phil Rizzuto and he was the defensive stud of the early 40s Cardinals teams managed by Billy Southworth.

Dick Allen: A great masher of his generation. Awesome numbers, but has a hard time getting any love since he was the Albert JOEY Belle of his generation.

whoman69
12-15-2004, 10:31 PM
The problem with Dick Allen was he was not a team player by any sense of the word. All that talent was wasted.

I'm surprised there is no votes for Gil Hodges. I pulled a butterfly ballot in voting for him. Seven straight seasons of 100 RBI or more.

Boardin Bronco makes a good point about 3B, that's why I think that Ken Boyer could qualify as well.

Eleazar
12-15-2004, 10:34 PM
Flood v. Kuhn changed the way the game works, and he had a pretty good career otherwise.

|Zach|
12-15-2004, 10:50 PM
Where is Bob Hamlin's name?

Boardin Bronco
12-15-2004, 10:57 PM
Where is Bob Hamlin's name?

Minimum requirement of Baseball Hall of Fame:

10 years of MLB service

LTownChief
12-15-2004, 10:58 PM
I really think that Pete Rose deserves it

|Zach|
12-15-2004, 10:59 PM
Minimum requirement of Baseball Hall of Fame:

10 years of MLB service
But Bob Hamlin is special.

He is the damn hammer!!!

He should be given his damn HOF.

teedubya
12-15-2004, 11:12 PM
shoeless joe didnt cheat. I was there dammit. He is clean.

Demonpenz
12-16-2004, 01:10 AM
dale murphy!

whoman69
12-16-2004, 07:52 PM
I really think that Pete Rose deserves it
Wanna bet.

Hydrae
12-16-2004, 08:03 PM
Flood v. Kuhn changed the way the game works, and he had a pretty good career otherwise.

Honestly, that is one of the biggest reasons I voted for Flood. He was a decent to good player but he caused free agency even though it really screwed with his own options in the league.

Santo was a good player who played excellent defense and okay offense for the Cubs for years. Unfortunately he will probably get into the Hall based on the sympathy vote for what has happened to him since he left the field.

I was torn about Thurman. He was good, no doubt. But I don't know enough about his stats to know if he is really Hall qualified. I have little doubt about whether he would go if he hadn't died when he did though.

I also voted for Maury Wills, Luis Tiant (one of my altime favorites!) and Mickey Lolich (yes, the lush! ROFL ). Those are more just personal favorites than anything else though. I am a little surprised at the number of names that I don't recognize though. I started following baseball in 1968 so anyone earlier than that I suppose I should not be surprised about not recognizing.

whoman69
12-16-2004, 09:53 PM
I also voted for Maury Wills.
That's a guy who has gotten way too much rep for one season where he led the Dodgers to the WS by breaking the steals record.
He never hit as many as 20 doubles in a season. He was such a mediocre fielder that he was changed to 3B in midcareer until the expansion Expos got him and made him a shortstop again. He's also a well known headcase.

whoman69
12-16-2004, 10:15 PM
Not surprised that Maris has gotten alot of sympathy. His record though does not merit induction. He had only 3 100 RBI seasons and after getting hurt in '62 he never again drove in more than 75 in a season.

Don't confuse Bobby Bonds with his son. Bobby set a major league strike out record in 1969 with 187 and broke it the next year with 189, which stood for nearly 30 years before being broken. His career lasted only 14 seasons, not nearly enough in baseball. While his home run and stolen base totals are impressive, its doesn't add up.

Thurmon Munson was a horrible fielder at a fielder's position. He had possibly a worse arm than Mike Piazza. He generally hit around .300 but without much power, 113 HR in 11 seasons. Had he not died in a plane crash, there is little doubt he would get almost no HOF consideration.

A forgotten player is Joe Gordon, for whom an argument could be made that he was the greatest 2nd baseman of all time. His problem was that he was not as big a star as Joe Dimaggio on the Yankees and missed two prime years because of the war.