PDA

View Full Version : BCCC and Mizzou

Boon
12-15-2004, 10:53 PM
Former Barton County College coach indicted on 36 counts. Dude had ties to Clemons and Pulley at Mizzou. Couple of crooked azz programs.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/colleges/10417501.htm

xfactor
12-16-2004, 07:02 AM
Former Barton County College coach indicted on 36 counts. Dude had ties to Clemons and Pulley at Mizzou. Couple of crooked azz programs.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/colleges/10417501.htm
Doesn't surprise me at all. I went to BCCC and it was no big secret that the b-ball program was 'strongly supported by sponsors.' The wrong kid of player has been going to BCCC for years and getting a degree. I won't name any names but there was a player that transfered from BCCC to Michigan right after the Fab 5 and helped get that program put on suspension. Also a player from Yugoslavia who played two years at BCCC for 2 years and then transfered to Ohio State was demed ineligible due to being on the Yugoslavian National Proteam and accepting money before coming to BCCC. This doesn't surprise me just can't believe it didn't happen earilier, I do know that there isn't much attention payed to junior colleges like D1 schools.

Skip Towne
12-16-2004, 07:19 AM
It's really hard to believe Mizzou would be involved in cheating. Well, there was Clemons and that arena thing.

Alphaman
12-16-2004, 08:06 AM
It's really hard to believe Mizzou would be involved in cheating. Well, there was Clemons and that arena thing.

If you read the stories, Mizzou was not involved in any of it. This one administrator at BCCC lied to Mizzou and others about transcripts. Paige wasn't even at Mizzou doing her cheating.

patteeu
12-16-2004, 08:28 AM
Mizzou doesn't cheat. Cheaters like to go to Mizzou just like everyone else. Sometimes our admissions people seem to have lapses in judgement or otherwise let riffraff slip through the cracks. It's getting pretty bad. In fact, I've even heard of a few KU undergrads who somehow got into grad school in Columbia.

Skip Towne
12-16-2004, 08:47 AM
If you read the stories, Mizzou was not involved in any of it. This one administrator at BCCC lied to Mizzou and others about transcripts. Paige wasn't even at Mizzou doing her cheating.
Yeah, Mizzou is pure. It's just that all their associates are vermin.

Boon
12-16-2004, 08:52 AM

Why would Wolf see to it that Clemons gets the credits? Ricky didn't play any ball at BCCC. What are Wolf's motives? Cash perhaps?

Saulbadguy
12-16-2004, 08:54 AM
Mizzou doesn't cheat.
Thats ok. Even if you deny that, there are about 50 other things Mizzou could be made fun about.

redbrian
12-16-2004, 09:00 AM

Yea KU is such an example, cheat to get a championship and then bail to the NBA, that's how you run a clean program.

beavis
12-16-2004, 09:26 AM
Well at least we feel the same way about each other.

Pitt Gorilla
12-16-2004, 09:35 AM
It's really hard to believe Mizzou would be involved in cheating. Well, there was Clemons and that arena thing.The arena cheated? Interesting thesis.

the Talking Can
12-16-2004, 09:43 AM
Quin Snyder is pure as coke.

How dare anyone associate that name with cheating just because he got caught cheating.

What are we, Russia?

A man is innocent as long as MUs fans say so. That's why America fought the Germans at Pearl Harbor.

You islamo-communists will pry my Ricky Clemons jersey from my cold, dead cracker hands.

the Talking Can
12-16-2004, 10:14 AM
I'm interested to see what comes out of this...MU can claim ignorance, but, like Barry Bonds, the truth is understood

"Odom, in his sworn deposition, said Missouri worked with former Southern Idaho assistant coach Jay Cyriac and Ryan Wolf, then head coach at Barton County Community College in Great Bend, Kan., to enroll Clemons at the junior college.

“At some point our office communicated with Barton County — or Ryan Wolf, the coach there — about what he needed to become eligible. What he would need to graduate,” Odom told Crane.
Odom also said Clemons didn’t check Barton County’s schedule of classes to determine which courses to take or how many credits he needed to qualify to enroll at Missouri.

“We did it for him. Along with Southern Idaho and with Barton County. All three working together to put together his schedule,” said Odom, who has declined recent interview requests from the AP.

the Talking Can
12-16-2004, 10:16 AM
link (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/jeffgordon/story/49BEAFE90A2464CE86256F6B0070F4BA?OpenDocument&Headline=+Tigers+fans+wonder+if+the+basketball+curse+will+ever+end)

Tigers fans wonder if Clemons story will ever go away
By Jeff Gordon
Post-Dispatch Online Sports Columnist
12/15/2004

The University of Missouri must have outraged the Gods of Basketball.

There can be no other explanation for the endless Ricky Clemons soap opera, a long-playing melodrama that has cost two assistant coaches their job, landed the basketball program on NCAA probation and caused vast embarrassment to administrators, faculty, staff, students and alumni of Mizzou.

One wayward point guard has caused supernatural grief at the school, continuing with the grand jury indictment of his keeper, Ryan Wolf, at Barton County Community College.

Wolf is accused of all sorts of malfeasance, much of it unrelated to Missouri. But there are some locally relevant nuggets in the 36-count, like the allegation that Wolf paid for some of Clemons' classes with HIS PERSONAL CREDIT CARD.

Even by Kansas JUCO standards, that's incredibly dumb.

Wolf is accused of having his wife "fix" some of Ricky's papers. He is also accused to deputizing another coach to serve as an absentee "proctor" for the correspondence course testing.

He did all this for a player who was never going to play a minute for BCCC. It makes you go "hmmmmmm."

The coach was also implicated on a variety of academic fraud charges centered on another Missouri transfer, Randy Pulley. Allegedly, Pulley picked up six credit hours during one "three- or four-day" visit.

Allegedly, Wolf told Pulley he wouldn't have to attend any classes in at least seven of the courses he got credit for.

Wow. The stuff occurs all the time in college basketball, but seldom are such high jinks verified in any detail. Nobody has to tell the NCAA the truth about anything.

A grand jury is a different matter entirely, so we can look forward to learning even more about how Quin Snyder's staff interacted with Wolf and Co. at BCCC.

Snyder must be scratching his oily head. This is so ridiculous. The cruelty, the absurdity, the enormity of scope . . . an angry deity must be at work.

No coach and no program can be THIS unlucky. College basketball is a slippery business, but everything Clemons-related is sticking to the principals involved.

How could one so-so recruit cause such massive problems?

Clemons, as you may remember, was a junior college ball hog MU imported in 2002. As is often the case with such transfers, his academic credentials were sadly deficient.

After bolting the College of Southern Idaho in mid-semester, he was nowhere near eligible to enroll at Missouri and play NCAA Division I basketball. Fortunately, he was able to "earn" 24 credit hours during one presumably busy summer at BCCC.

Missouri's admissions offense shrugged at the 12 credit hours from BCCC, the nine hours of correspondence courses "earned" through Brigham Young University and the three hours of correspondence work from Adams State College in Colorado.

The school waved him in and the dominoes began to fall.

Clemons assaulted his girlfriend at the time, Jessica Bunge, and later copped a guilty plea. Along way, the authorities got to ask lots of questions about how Ricky got to Columbia and who was taking care of him at Mizzou.

In the meantime, Ricky's checkered academic history came under media scrutiny. Also, we learned of his alleged assault against a co-ed at the College of Southern Idaho.

Then came the infamous ATV accident at the university president's house, the probation violation, the jailhouse phone transcripts, Ricky's tell-all media tour after Mizzou finally cut him lose, the inevitable NCAA investigation . . .

Geesh. This story simply won't fade into the sunset. If Wolf ends up jabbering under oath, there is no telling what else we might learn.

Clemons is a pox on the Missouri house. Tigers fans wonder if the curse will ever end.

redbrian
12-16-2004, 10:55 AM
You know what is ironic is that this is a Kansas CC, which has placed athletes at KU and K-State.

I thought everything in Kansas was good and pure.

the Talking Can
12-16-2004, 01:37 PM
You know what is ironic is that this is a Kansas CC, which has placed athletes at KU and K-State.

I thought Quin was a good coach....wo knew?

spin cycle

Boon
12-16-2004, 05:03 PM

Wolf is from Indiana and played at Minnesota. Has nothing to do with Kansas. Crooks are crooks be they from Missouri, Crawford TX, Iraq, etc. You get the idea.

BigVE
12-16-2004, 07:29 PM
This isnt the first or last time the BCCC program has been under scrutiny. I work in Great Bend (where BCCC is located) and my former boss was the head booster. I am not fully aware of the rules for Juco but he easily violated several rules that I was aware of so who knows how many "secret" rules violations occurred. Examples: 2-3 guys got "jobs", they came and went as they pleased, didnt do squat while they were at work, a couple of players lived in a house owned by "the boosters" rent free, several players shared a car that was provided by the boosters...other things as well. I am from Barton County and we are ashamed and hope this thing can get cleaned up somehow. Funny thing is, Wolf left and we got a new coach and rumor has it that he is really trying to run a clean program...it shows, this is one of the first times in several years that BCCC isnt doing very well in B-ball. It always seemed very very odd that little 'ol Barton County Community College could consistently bring in all this "talent" year after year...they must have been getting paid pretty well.

Boon
12-16-2004, 11:13 PM
This isnt the first or last time the BCCC program has been under scrutiny. I work in Great Bend (where BCCC is located) and my former boss was the head booster. I am not fully aware of the rules for Juco but he easily violated several rules that I was aware of so who knows how many "secret" rules violations occurred. Examples: 2-3 guys got "jobs", they came and went as they pleased, didnt do squat while they were at work, a couple of players lived in a house owned by "the boosters" rent free, several players shared a car that was provided by the boosters...other things as well. I am from Barton County and we are ashamed and hope this thing can get cleaned up somehow. Funny thing is, Wolf left and we got a new coach and rumor has it that he is really trying to run a clean program...it shows, this is one of the first times in several years that BCCC isnt doing very well in B-ball. It always seemed very very odd that little 'ol Barton County Community College could consistently bring in all this "talent" year after year...they must have been getting paid pretty well.

I too am familiar with the program being a "grad" of BCCC. The shenanigans in the program have been going on since before Mr. Wolf. Indeed long before the current president, Mr. Law. It is only now coming to light. I find it funny that BCCC is spinning the story as coming from the result of an internal investigation. As a student there, I witnessed cheating on an exam by a baseball player. The incident was turned over to the teacher. She "handled" it with the student. Don't know what was said or done, but he was in the next class and all subsequent classes, so I can only assume the student passed.
One needs to ask, where was the oversight of the athletic dept? Those people are still in place. My bet is it will all be layed on Wolf and the administration skates on this one. Ryan Noonan, a reporter for the Great Bend Tribune, used the oppurtunity to get his "voice" on Whitlock's radio program yesterday and wrote an article for the Tribune noting the "black eye" the college will receive over the incident, but where are the articles about the boosters and the athletic department oversight? In my mind there has to be more complicity to pull all this shit off.