PDA

View Full Version : I want LJ gone NOW ... (found on the KCSTAR board)

royr17
12-16-2004, 03:33 PM
Like I said i found this on the star and I thought it be interesting to see what some people have to say on this matter :

I have to agree that I Larry Johnson has an undeniable amount of talent. How much that is, no one really knows... But I do know this... He is bad for the Chiefs. Larry Johnson is bad for this team, PERIOD. This morning on a radio interview he was asked if he would rather win a Superbowl or be inducted into the Hall of Fame. His answer? "Definately the Hall of Fame." Later on today when he was talking to the media he was asked about Jake Plummer's gesture to the fan in Denver and he replied that he does it all the time on the road. He pokes fun at the opposing fans and that it doesn't matter because he's "not starting."
I'm telling you guys.. LJ is bad for this team. He's not a team player and everything he does he bases on HIM not playing or HIM getting this or that. He's not a team guy. The Chiefs would be best suited by letting LJ run the ball, and his mouth, as it were, run up a lot of stats and then trade his a$s in the off-season. He's not a team player... I'd rather see the Chiefs win a Superbowl then watch a Hall of Fame running back on a 6-10 team.

Hoover
12-16-2004, 03:35 PM
I'm fine with LJ

Kylo Ren
12-16-2004, 03:37 PM
Many minds will be changed if he rushes for 1600 yds in a season.

Fairplay
12-16-2004, 03:38 PM
He's not a team player... I'd rather see the Chiefs win a Superbowl then watch a Hall of Fame running back on a 6-10 team.

We are watching a hall of fame RB by the name of Holmes on a 6-10 team. And who says by trading off LJ we would go to the Superbowl? That statement is implying that.

royr17
12-16-2004, 03:38 PM
Im fine with him too. I just dont know if you made this comment on the radio this morning or not. I sure the hell hope he didnt.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-16-2004, 03:39 PM
If only LJ had half the character of any player on the Chiefs defense

Chiefnj
12-16-2004, 03:40 PM
If LJ is giving opposing fans the finger, I have a new found respect for him.

royr17
12-16-2004, 03:40 PM
Hey yall i didnt say any this, I just found it over on the KCstar board and thought we get some interestion opinions over it.

Coogs
12-16-2004, 03:46 PM
If only LJ had half the character of any player on the Chiefs defense

If only any player on the defense had half the talent LJ does.

BigVE
12-16-2004, 03:46 PM
To me its obvious the Chiefs are show-casing LJ as much as they can, and so far it has turned out to be a good thing, if he DOESNT do well then its a waste but with how he is running the ball lately it has made his stock soar I hope. I dont like him at all either, its obvious that he has way to much "Leon" in him.

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-16-2004, 03:51 PM
But is he a team player........?

royr17
12-16-2004, 03:53 PM
I dont care, I dont want us trading away LJ, cause if the Chiefs win the Super Bowl next season I have a very strong feeling that Priest will retire and who would we have to take over at RB for Priest ?

I want LJ, he is the future of this club and he has all the tools to be a very good and successful running back IMHO.

tk13
12-16-2004, 03:54 PM
Im fine with him too. I just dont know if you made this comment on the radio this morning or not. I sure the hell hope he didnt.
Wouldn't surprise me. We learned very early on that he doesn't go to f'ing Penn State anymore and he isn't always the most friendly person... :)

Bob Dole
12-16-2004, 03:55 PM
That post appears almost word for on nepachiefs.com's forum.

I have to agree that Rich Scanlon has an undeniable amount of talent. How much that is, no one really knows... But I do know this... He is bad for the Chiefs. Rich Scanlon is bad for this team, PERIOD.

This morning on a radio interview he was asked if he would rather win a Superbowl or be inducted into the Hall of Fame. His answer? "Definately the Hall of Fame." Later on today when he was talking to the media he was asked about Jake Plummer's gesture to the fan in Denver and he replied that he does it all the time on the road. He pokes fun at the opposing fans and that it doesn't matter because he's "not starting."

I'm telling you guys.. Rich Scanlon is bad for this team. He's not a team player and everything he does he bases on HIM not playing or HIM getting this or that. He's not a team guy. The Chiefs would be best suited by letting Rich Scanlon make tackles, run up a lot of special teams stats and then trade his a$s in the off-season. He's not a team player... I'd rather see the Chiefs win a Superbowl then watch a Hall of Fame linebacker on a 6-10 team.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-16-2004, 03:56 PM

ROFL

royr17
12-16-2004, 03:59 PM

4321 Dole :p

headsnap
12-16-2004, 04:59 PM
If only any LJ had half the talent Rich Scanlon does.

MonroeChief
12-16-2004, 05:05 PM
I think that LJ has shown enough talent that he should be starting the rest of the season in front of Blaylock. Imagine the number of yards he could have if he played a full game as the #1 back.

When Priest comes back next year and LJ has proved himself (as most of us know he will) we will have a backfield that will not diminish in productivity when one of them is catching their wind. A little different style, but both seem to be able to use the Oline.

Blaylock is a FA after this year and hasn't shown enough to spend big bucks to resign him IMO.

Spicy McHaggis
12-16-2004, 05:38 PM

Nice ROFL

|Zach|
12-16-2004, 05:41 PM
Are there any links to back up these quotes by him? I dont count NEPA.

Judge Smails
12-16-2004, 06:03 PM
I heard Petro talking about this at lunch. They were also saying the impression they got from Johnson during the interview was that he seemed unintersted in guys who have had to work to stick, and that because he was a first round pick, he has more talent and therefore deserves the playing time, and that he shouldn't have to show it in practice.

Douche bag.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-16-2004, 06:09 PM
I heard Petro talking about this at lunch. They were also saying the impression they got from Johnson during the interview was that he seemed unintersted in guys who have had to work to stick, and that because he was a first round pick, he has more talent and therefore deserves the playing time, and that he shouldn't have to show it in practice.

Douche bag.

LJ claimed a scheduling conflict & canceled an appearance for their station. They'll be on his ass for awhile..take it with a grain of salt

Calcountry
12-16-2004, 07:08 PM
Even RoyR17's would be if he was the MVP in the Super Bowl victory.

Deberg_1990
12-16-2004, 07:14 PM
Geez..im so sick of people bashing this guy....so he has a little attitude..so what?? Its actually a little refreshing to get some "Attitude" on our team. You know all thoughout the 90's we would have killed for a back like any of the ones on our team now, and now we have THREE great backs! Now that we are blessed with all this talent at RB all some peeps can do is find new ways to bash this guy????? Sigh...

Stinger
12-16-2004, 07:17 PM
This morning on a radio interview he was asked if he would rather win a Superbowl or be inducted into the Hall of Fame. His answer? "Definately the Hall of Fame."

Actually this part does not bother me because most of the players would have or has said that. Their reasoning is many people have superbowl rings, but only a select few make it into the hall of fame.

CanadaKC
12-16-2004, 07:20 PM
We have to ask ourselves one serious question heading into the draft...
is it better to keep LJ?...or to trade him away. While I believe he's quite the talent and coming along....let's not forget he was drafted for the SOLE purpose of being insurance for Priest had his hip not recovered.
That's all under the bridge now.
Now, there's three reasons we should let him go as far as I can see.
First, no player, especially a 1st rounder, likes being deemed "insurance" for another player. That's just not a healthy way to come into an organization. He's pouted ever since and is only getting playing time because Priest is hurt and the season is over. Again, not the situation
LJ wants.
Secondly, he'll never give this team 100 per cent after the "diaper" comment by Vermeil. He might as well paste that label on his forehead as long as he's facing his teammates in the locker room. The only reason he's playing now, and so well...is to audition for other teams.
It's like a shortened contract year for LJ.
And last....the Chiefs, including the LJ pick, have made some terrible mistakes in the draft over the last couple of years. The defence is awful...and has been for years. We give up an average of 270 yards per game through the air alone. Tweener, reaches, and projects won't cut it anymore. I feel Carl avoids drafting a stud simply because he knows he's going to have to shell out some big dough for an impact player. The whole league and all Chief fans will be watching in April with extreme scrutiny. He has to score an A this time around.
Trading LJ for the highest value will be a move we can all live with, IMO.
We may have to parlay LJ and our 1st rounder for a higher pick to snag Rolle or Derrick Johnson....but so be it. The time has come to make a bold move, and LJ is part of the equation. It's like the Mariners picking up Beltre from the Dodgers...they just added 48 homers to their last place home run total from last season. We draft Derrick Johnson...we can add 10 more tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage. We add Rolle...there's possibly 8-10 TD's not scored against us next season.
Carl is on the clock....and we are all watching....especially what he gets for LJ...because like it or not...it HAS to happen.

teedubya
12-16-2004, 08:01 PM
is it better to keep LJ?...or to trade him away. While I believe he's quite the talent and coming along....let's not forget he was drafted for the SOLE purpose of being insurance for Priest had his hip not recovered.
First, no player, especially a 1st rounder, likes being deemed "insurance" for another player. That's just not a healthy way to come into an organization. He's pouted ever since and is only getting playing time because Priest is hurt and the season is over. Again, not the situation
LJ wants.
Secondly, he'll never give this team 100 per cent after the "diaper" comment by Vermeil. He might as well paste that label on his forehead as long as he's facing his teammates in the locker room. The only reason he's playing now, and so well...is to audition for other teams.
And last....the Chiefs, including the LJ pick, have made some terrible mistakes in the draft over the last couple of years. The defense is awful...and has been for years. We give up an average of 270 yards per game through the air alone. Tweener, reaches, and projects won't cut it anymore. I feel Carl avoids drafting a stud simply because he knows he's going to have to shell out some big dough for an impact player. The whole league and all Chief fans will be watching in April with extreme scrutiny. He has to score an A this time around.
We may have to parlay LJ and our 1st rounder for a higher pick to snag Rolle or Derrick Johnson....but so be it. The time has come to make a bold move, and LJ is part of the equation. It's like the Mariners picking up Beltre from the Dodgers...they just added 48 homers to their last place home run total from last season. We draft Derrick Johnson...we can add 10 more tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage. We add Rolle...there's possibly 8-10 TD's not scored against us next season.
Carl is on the clock....and we are all watching....especially what he gets for LJ...because like it or not...it HAS to happen.

Hallelujah!

Ralphy Boy
12-16-2004, 08:19 PM
LJ wants.
And last....the Chiefs, including the LJ pick, have made some terrible mistakes in the draft over the last couple of years. The defense is awful...and has been for years. We give up an average of 270 yards per game through the air alone. Tweener, reaches, and projects won't cut it anymore. I feel Carl avoids drafting a stud simply because he knows he's going to have to shell out some big dough for an impact player. The whole league and all Chief fans will be watching in April with extreme scrutiny. He has to score an A this time around.

No way that Rolle comes in and stops 8 to 10 TD's from being scored against us. Rookie CB's don't play at that level & Rolle, who I do like, hasn't had the season that many thought he would.

I can't disagree with the DJ statement because he quite possibly could be just that good. I'll agree that we could be shopping LJ and agree with all of your comments on him. He isn't the first RB drafted high as insurance for a premier RB and most have handled it better than he. Deuce McAllister was drafted as insurance for Ricky Williams, Trung Candidate & Stephen Jackson for Marshall Faulk, Deshaun Foster might have been drafted before Stephen Davis went to Carolina can't recall. Shaun Alexander was drafted to replace Ricky Watters and the list goes on and on. LJ needs to have some patience and realize that he's playing behind a HOF back now and if he is truly wanting to get there himself, he'd be smart to pay attention and bide his time. He did a good job in his interview of deflecting credit to his offensive line and he needs to realize that his looking good had a lot to do not only with that line but also the scheme and team he is playing for.

The team that kept his ass from dropping all the way out of the first round. He may not like it, but he IS in a good situation right now.

Logical
12-16-2004, 08:41 PM
People be saying Leon a punk bitch. Leon no punk bitch, Leon is 1st round man, 1st round. Leon deserve to have Priest sit his azz down, you here me down. Priest be an old f*cker and Leon haz the skilz. Leon say f*ck Priest he ain't got shit on Leon, Leon could teach Priest a thing or two. Leon be Hall of Fame material. Don't be jammin on Leon about no piddly Super Bowl, lotz of folk got Super Bowl rings, hell yea, Priest that punk ass he's got himself a Super Bowl ring. Leon wants to know did that punk azz Priest get drafted in the first round? Hell no.

Give Leon his respect.

FringeNC
12-16-2004, 09:19 PM
I don't want the guy gone, but I'd wish he'd shut his mouth-hole.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't he supposed to be a "character guy" when we drafted him?

If he keep his mouth shut, he might be the Chiefs' starting RB as soon as next year...doesn't he realize he is doing himself no good by running off at the mouth?

whoman69
12-16-2004, 09:32 PM
Let's go to a hypothetical. Do you think Dan Marino would make this trade, win SB XIX then blow his knee out in pre-season '85 and never play again. No way. If LJ is going to make the HOF one day, it won't be on teams that go 6-10 the whole time.

If you want to blow off LJ, name one back that CP has drafted that has rushed for 1000 yards in a season. Do you know what the record for most rushing yards by a player drafted by CP while in a Chiefs uniform? Greg Hill 2436 yards in 4 seasons followed by Donnell Bennett 1902 yards in 7 seasons.

So tell me again, if we get rid of LJ, how you have faith we can find someone else as good?

Frankie
12-16-2004, 09:44 PM

Oh, Fujita, Hicks, Dalton, Woods, Wesley, they've all had 2 game streaks of good play in their time. The jury is still out on LJ. If those radio comments are true then I would worry about his attitude. Trading him away for good return would be a great idea then.

Randallflagg
12-16-2004, 09:47 PM
Oh, Fujita, Hicks, Dalton, Woods, Wesley, they've all had 2 game streaks of good play in their time. The jury is still out on LJ. If those radio comments are true then I would worry about his attitude. Trading him away for good return would be a great idea then.

It's true..I heard the comments on the radio (810) during the afternoon show. IMO a cancer in the locker room and should be sent packing. again, IMO

beer bacon
12-16-2004, 10:09 PM
Also, has anyone noticed how when LJ scores a TD he just hands the ball off to the ref :cuss: ?!?! He acts like he is too good to showboat a little bit :harumph: Wow, what a ****ing primadonna who won't even do the worm or jump into the crowd :banghead: We need to trade this cancer now before our whole team stops doing dance moves when they score TDs!!!!! FUG LEON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Taco John
12-16-2004, 10:10 PM
These charges are preposterous.

the Talking Can
12-16-2004, 10:47 PM
Like I said i found this on the star and I thought it be interesting to see what some people have to say on this matter :

I have to agree that I Larry Johnson has an undeniable amount of talent. How much that is, no one really knows... But I do know this... He is bad for the Chiefs. Larry Johnson is bad for this team, PERIOD. This morning on a radio interview he was asked if he would rather win a Superbowl or be inducted into the Hall of Fame. His answer? "Definately the Hall of Fame." Later on today when he was talking to the media he was asked about Jake Plummer's gesture to the fan in Denver and he replied that he does it all the time on the road. He pokes fun at the opposing fans and that it doesn't matter because he's "not starting."
I'm telling you guys.. LJ is bad for this team. He's not a team player and everything he does he bases on HIM not playing or HIM getting this or that. He's not a team guy. The Chiefs would be best suited by letting LJ run the ball, and his mouth, as it were, run up a lot of stats and then trade his a$s in the off-season. He's not a team player... I'd rather see the Chiefs win a Superbowl then watch a Hall of Fame running back on a 6-10 team.

looks like Gretz was right about sports talk radio.....I heard the interview amd knew there would be suckers looking for a reason to be "outraged"...I mean, we suck right now, so people have nothing else to worry about

the last sentence is hilarious...we ARE a 6-10 team and we have a Hall of Fame back (Priest)

penchief
12-17-2004, 12:18 AM
beer baron is right to point out how he acts when he scores a touchdown. It's refreshing to see a young guy that doesn't have to draw attention to himself that way. I wish he would use better judgment when he talks to the media, though.

On the other hand he is obviously supremely confident in his ability. Which when you think about it, he's a guy that probably has as much talent as anyone on our offense and he knows it. Yet think about how it must have stung not even being on the active roster for three-fourths of his rookie year.

He's was feeling pretty rotten then and now he's feeling pretty good because he's proving that he was right and Vermeil was wrong. You gotta wonder why Vermeil and Saunders didn't use this guy sooner, even with Priest in the game.

I'm not so sure that isn't where LJ is coming from when he talks about being a first rounder and having first round talent. He clearly has first-round talent yet he found himself inactive week after week. I don't think it has anything to do with working hard. He had a reputation for working hard in college. He's a coaches son so I don't think he's a slacker. I think he just might be saying that he wasn't given the chance that most first rounders are afforded which is an opportunity to make the impact that most teams hope a first rounder will make.

It just seems to me that there is more to this picture than meets the eye.

Logical
12-17-2004, 01:00 AM

It just seems to me that there is more to this picture than meets the eye.
There is LJ is behind a runningback that has proven he has Hall of Fame talent. He is where he is at backing him up until Priest decides to retire. It really is that simple.

alanm
12-17-2004, 01:37 AM
We are watching a hall of fame RB by the name of Holmes on a 6-10 team. And who says by trading off LJ we would go to the Superbowl? That statement is implying that. Holmes certainly is a HOF caliber type back. But he hasn't played long enough. He play 2-3 more years and racks up the yardage and TD's like he has he will be. Same thing with Terrell Davis. He is HOF material too. But his cronic knee problems doomed him. The only back I can think of who was inducted after a short career is Gale Sayers. But that guy was phenominal. :eek:

philfree
12-17-2004, 01:37 AM
Our O line knocked holes wide open for LJ :shrug: Does that say anything about how they feel about LJ? I'm not saying it does but i'd be hard pressed to say that it doesn't. With our record if he was really a jerk those holes might not be there. IMO were're fortunate to have two/three kick-A RBs. Of course we are unfortunate to have no CBs :banghead:

PhilFree :arrow:

Taco John
12-17-2004, 01:50 AM
we have a Hall of Fame back (Priest)

Based on what?

David.
12-17-2004, 01:53 AM
Based on what?

td records? Completely dominating a league? I donno.

philfree
12-17-2004, 01:57 AM
Based on what?

A single season TD record is probably enough if you have a bunch of chop blockin thugs on your team and some stump trained Donkey on your helmet.

the Talking Can
12-17-2004, 02:12 AM
Based on what?

based on the fact he's better than Davis, and didn't ride Elways back ot glory....

you're an easy catch

Alphaman
12-17-2004, 08:25 AM
LJ wants.

Some fans cannot except good fortune.

1) LJ was not a bad pick and that is just now being proven. When that draft came along, the Chiefs had already replaced 5 starters on the defense. They went into the draft needing a pass rushing DE and RB because Holmes was coming off injury and Blaylock had shown nothing. There was a run on DEs in that draft and 5 or 6 went before the Chiefs pick. Instead of reaching for the 7th best DE in the draft, they traded down. They filled a definite need by taking the best RB in that draft (McGahee was hurt). Name a defensive player from that draft that we had a shot at that would be helping right now.

2) Priest has about 2 years left. LJ has 5 more years on his contract. He'll get alot of carries over the next 2 years and be the feature back after that.

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 08:45 AM
There is LJ is behind a runningback that has proven he has Hall of Fame talent. He is where he is at backing him up until Priest decides to retire. It really is that simple.
If Steve Young had listened to you he would have ridden the pine for a couple more years instead of unseating Montana.

penchief
12-17-2004, 11:36 AM

I don't dispute what you say at all. What I'm referring to is how it must have felt to have been a first rounder with the unique talent that Johnson has only to treated like a practice squad player.

Those long TD runs are not a fluke. That is his mode of operation. They will get longer. I'm still waiting for the first time he gets the ball on our own twenty after a touch-back and runs all the way to start a game. Just look at the statistics and you will see that there has never been a time that he didn't do what he does.

For me, the question is why an offensive genius like Saunders couldn't find a way to make use of LJ's talent in a system that prides itself in spreading the ball around. Can you imagine? If we had a top-notcher receiver think how impossible it would be to stop this offense. Find a way to get Priest, LJ, Gonzo, and a premier receiver in on the same play and it might not matter if we had a defense or not. Gamebreakers, all of them.

Heck, I love Kris Wilson, as well, but look at how differently he was treated than LJ. I mean he was already penciled in as our new secret weapon even before the season started. Whereas, Johnson was shat on by Vermeil (and apparently Saunders, too) from the moment his name left the lips of Paul Tagliabue.

The kid was a coaches son, he's a proud football player and a superb athelete. He's always played the game right, on and off the field. And he's always worked hard. He's had to earn everything he has.

And you know what? He lived every kids dream. He earned the right to be a first round draft pick in the NFL. All the hard work he and his dad had put in led to the realization of a that dream. To have finally earned him the respect he was due, "the old fashioned way." There has to be a lot of pride in a family like that.

The problem is that he expected to be welcomed by the team that drafted him. But he was made to feel unwanted. Even after all the negativity about drafting him, the kid decides he's just going to have to prove it. But when he gets to camp they tell him he's not going to get that chance because he needs to work on his blocking and learn how to play special teams before he can even think about showing off what he can do when you let him play.

In fact, that wasn't good enough for this coaching staff. They made him inactive for most of the season. So, not only did he not get to play, his hope of playing was seriously oppressed and he was most likely humiliated by the inactive status. To know that all you need is a chance to prove yourself yet you feel like you are being held back by the two most important people relevant to your success; that has to be a pretty tough situation for an eager young football player with his record-setting credentials. I might have felt some resentment, too.

Having said that, LJ needs to mature beyond those feelings if he is having them. He can still win the hearts of KC fans with his talent on the field and his demeanor off.

On the other hand, you have to wonder what Vermiel and Saunders were thinking when LJ is so obviously a potential impact player.

Calcountry
12-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Geez..im so sick of people bashing this guy....so he has a little attitude..so what?? Its actually a little refreshing to get some "Attitude" on our team. You know all thoughout the 90's we would have killed for a back like any of the ones on our team now, and now we have THREE great backs! Now that we are blessed with all this talent at RB all some peeps can do is find new ways to bash this guy????? Sigh...
No, now I am just focussed on Bartee.

Alas, in a few years will will have one of the best CB's but suck at RB.

htismaqe
12-17-2004, 01:06 PM
I don't dispute what you say at all. What I'm referring to is how it must have felt to have been a first rounder with the unique talent that Johnson has only to treated like a practice squad player.

Those long TD runs are not a fluke. That is his mode of operation. They will get longer. I'm still waiting for the first time he gets the ball on our own twenty after a touch-back and runs all the way to start a game. Just look at the statistics and you will see that there has never been a time that he didn't do what he does.

For me, the question is why an offensive genius like Saunders couldn't find a way to make use of LJ's talent in a system that prides itself in spreading the ball around. Can you imagine? If we had a top-notcher receiver think how impossible it would be to stop this offense. Find a way to get Priest, LJ, Gonzo, and a premier receiver in on the same play and it might not matter if we had a defense or not. Gamebreakers, all of them.

Heck, I love Kris Wilson, as well, but look at how differently he was treated than LJ. I mean he was already penciled in as our new secret weapon even before the season started. Whereas, Johnson was shat on by Vermeil (and apparently Saunders, too) from the moment his name left the lips of Paul Tagliabue.

The kid was a coaches son, he's a proud football player and a superb athelete. He's always played the game right, on and off the field. And he's always worked hard. He's had to earn everything he has.

And you know what? He lived every kids dream. He earned the right to be a first round draft pick in the NFL. All the hard work he and his dad had put in led to the realization of a that dream. To have finally earned him the respect he was due, "the old fashioned way." There has to be a lot of pride in a family like that.

The problem is that he expected to be welcomed by the team that drafted him. But he was made to feel unwanted. Even after all the negativity about drafting him, the kid decides he's just going to have to prove it. But when he gets to camp they tell him he's not going to get that chance because he needs to work on his blocking and learn how to play special teams before he can even think about showing off what he can do when you let him play.

In fact, that wasn't good enough for this coaching staff. They made him inactive for most of the season. So, not only did he not get to play, his hope of playing was seriously oppressed and he was most likely humiliated by the inactive status. To know that all you need is a chance to prove yourself yet you feel like you are being held back by the two most important people relevant to your success; that has to be a pretty tough situation for an eager young football player with his record-setting credentials. I might have felt some resentment, too.

Having said that, LJ needs to mature beyond those feelings if he is having them. He can still win the hearts of KC fans with his talent on the field and his demeanor off.

On the other hand, you have to wonder what Vermiel and Saunders were thinking when LJ is so obviously a potential impact player.

:bravo:

|Zach|
12-17-2004, 01:10 PM
:bravo:
Those hands are creepy.

Coogs
12-17-2004, 01:19 PM

Or we could trade Holmes for some defensive help. Keep him or trade him, Holmes is going to cost a lot of money next season. He is getting close to the point in his contract to where that figure is nearing the same dollar figure. The signing bonus amount is decreasing, but the base salary part we have to pick up is escelating. And rapidly starting next year.

If LJ closes out the year in grand fashion, I hope some thought is given to this at Arrowhead. Holmes could be a very attractive piece for a team that is close to being over the top. We could pick up some very valuable defensive help, and still have a marquee RB with youth on his side.

Ultra Peanut
12-17-2004, 02:21 PM
OMG LJ IS A TROLL!

Ultra Peanut
12-17-2004, 02:25 PM
People be saying Leon a punk bitch. Leon no punk bitch, Leon is 1st round man, 1st round. Leon deserve to have Priest sit his azz down, you here me down. Priest be an old f*cker and Leon haz the skilz. Leon say f*ck Priest he ain't got shit on Leon, Leon could teach Priest a thing or two. Leon be Hall of Fame material. Don't be jammin on Leon about no piddly Super Bowl, lotz of folk got Super Bowl rings, hell yea, Priest that punk ass he's got himself a Super Bowl ring. Leon wants to know did that punk azz Priest get drafted in the first round? Hell no.

Give Leon his respect.Now he's kicking so much ass, all that's left for you to do is call him Leon. ROFL

Logical
12-17-2004, 02:35 PM
Or we could trade Holmes for some defensive help. Keep him or trade him, Holmes is going to cost a lot of money next season. He is getting close to the point in his contract to where that figure is nearing the same dollar figure. The signing bonus amount is decreasing, but the base salary part we have to pick up is escelating. And rapidly starting next year.

If LJ closes out the year in grand fashion, I hope some thought is given to this at Arrowhead. Holmes could be a very attractive piece for a team that is close to being over the top. We could pick up some very valuable defensive help, and still have a marquee RB with youth on his side.

As much as I admire and respect Priest, because of his age he has almost no trade value. I just don't see that panning out.

Chiefnj
12-17-2004, 02:43 PM
Over at the Coalition someone posted an article saying that Priest met with DV and others, gave them the promise he would go on IR and miss most of his incentives this year AND return next, in exchange for (a) more money, and (b) a promise bythe team to be extremely active in signing defensive free agents.

penchief
12-17-2004, 02:47 PM
As much as I admire and respect Priest, because of his age he has almost no trade value. I just don't see that panning out.

Sadly, I agree. I think the best we could do is trade him to a contending team for a late first-rounder and a couple of marginal defensive players or maybe a couple defensive players with a good upside.

But, IMO, there will be a market for Priest and if we are smart we can maximize his value.

However, that type of speculation really depends on LJ's performance from here on out. Can he handle the prosperity and continue to blossom or will he wilt?

Logical
12-17-2004, 02:57 PM
Sadly, I agree. I think the best we could do is trade him to a contending team for a late first-rounder and a couple of marginal defensive players or maybe a couple defensive players with a good upside.

But, IMO, there will be a market for Priest and if we are smart we can maximize his value.

However, that type of speculation really depends on LJ's performance from here on out. Can he handle the prosperity and continue to blossom or will he wilt?
The other thing is LJ won't have been tested against any really good Defenses. In the only good one he faced Tampa Bay he sucked with only 2.1 ypc on 10 carries. The Chargers are better but unlikely to be playing all their best players a week before there playoff game with most likely nothing on the line.

Frankie
12-17-2004, 03:05 PM
Trade Priest? ..... SACRILEGE!!

Priest shall retire as a Chief... So shall it be written... So shall it be done!

penchief
12-17-2004, 03:12 PM
The other thing is LJ won't have been tested against any really good Defenses. In the only good one he faced Tampa Bay he sucked with only 2.1 ypc on 10 carries. The Chargers are better but unlikely to be playing all their best players a week before there playoff game with most likely nothing on the line.

While I might agree with that assessment if I were an LJ detractor, I believe the big picture always tells a better story.

First off, how do you know LJ isn't just getting warmed up? Was the Tampa game before the Sandy eggo game or after? I can't remember. Either way, it doesn't matter because good defenses do what they do. 10 carries against a good defense when you've had very little game experience isn't really a reliable indicator.

If I'm not mistaken, he has had three good performances in a row. And it also seems like he is getting better with every game. Those are indicators of LJ's game regardless of the defenses in question.

Face it, the bastard chief leads the team in yards per carry (6.4) and leads all RBs with 12.0 yards per catch. This is just a hunch but I'll bet he leads the team TDs per touch. And it wouldn't surprise me if he were to lead the team in KO return average if he were allowed to return kicks.

None of that is a fluke. The guy leads in those statistics because he is a playmaker. And even more ironic is that his development has been stunted by the pettiness of a coaching staff the prides itself in being positive in nature and player-oriented.

tk13
12-17-2004, 03:46 PM
I don't disagree that LJ should've gotten more carries and action than he has, but let's also not forget that one of the reasons he couldn't be used a ton is because he had problems in pass protection. I do think they could've found more ways to use him effectively, but until he was better in pass protection you just can't use him extensively because defenses would learn quickly we were running the football when he was in the game.

Chiefnj
12-17-2004, 03:56 PM
I still can't believe that after his first 40some odd yard TD against the Titans he was still delegated to the bench for a series.

LJ's got the burst that Priest lacks.

philfree
12-17-2004, 03:57 PM
I can't believe that any Chiefs fan would want to trade Holmes or LJ after going through RBbc for so many years. We got one stud RB who is aging and one who is young. That seems lke the perfect scenario to me.

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 03:58 PM

My sentiments exactly.

penchief
12-17-2004, 04:33 PM
I don't disagree that LJ should've gotten more carries and action than he has, but let's also not forget that one of the reasons he couldn't be used a ton is because he had problems in pass protection. I do think they could've found more ways to use him effectively, but until he was better in pass protection you just can't use him extensively because defenses would learn quickly we were running the football when he was in the game.

I do agree that there would have been plenty of plays that his pass protection would have been a liability, however, you don't bury a playmaking RB on the inactive list, IMO. You find ways to put him in a postion to succeed. That's what all good organizations do.

Look at how Saunders designs all of those gimmicky plays to get Dante the ball behind the line of scrimage with two or three blockers in front of him. Primarily that play where Trent does a quick three step drop, fires the ball to Dante with the tight end and a couple of receivers for blocking. Why not design a couple much simpler plays to get LJ the ball with a little space to run (i.e. draw plays, swing pass into the flats, quick slant, etc.)? I"m not so sure LJ couldn't have absorbed some of Kris Wilson's plays and done well with them. In fact, I'm not so sure that LJ couldn't do a damn good job with Dante's play.

In the end, maybe that's what this is all about. For Vermeil and Saunders to truly take advantage of LJ's skills they might have had to tweak the plays a bit more than they were willing to do after objecting to his drafting in the first place.

bogie
12-17-2004, 05:50 PM

Vlad is correct. It really is that simple. LJ was signed as a back-up.
I don't believe Priest needed very much back up.

Alphaman
12-17-2004, 06:21 PM

At the end of the day, it was LJ's play without the ball that kept him on the pine or in street clothes. The Chiefs are not the only team that will not put a RB on the field if he is going to get the QB killed. LJ has greatly improved his pass blocking and is now seeing more time. His intelligence and ability has never been questioned.

penchief
12-17-2004, 06:21 PM

True. But you can't ignore the fact that Johnson brings something very exciting to the table that Priest does not. I believe they are the perfect compliment to each other.

Priest is perfect at the 11 yard run (which I consider football's most beautiful play). On the other side of the coin, LJ is a home run hitter and a power back in one, nicely sandwiching the artistry of Holmes.

penchief
12-17-2004, 06:29 PM
At the end of the day, it was LJ's play without the ball that kept him on the pine or in street clothes. The Chiefs are not the only team that will not put a RB on the field if he is going to get the QB killed. LJ has greatly improved his pass blocking and is now seeing more time. His intelligence and ability has never been questioned.

But it is the coaching staff's job to take lemons and make lemonade. If you, as an offensive coordinator, knew that you had a dude that could break off an 80 yard run at anytime, you would try to find a way to make that happen.

Everybody has a weakness in their game. The job of coaching, IMO, is to accentuate the positive while working on the negatives. While this coaching staff makes excuses for EVERYBODY else on this team, they somehow manage to find fault with LJ even while he is the one player most responsible for SPARKING our team to its last two victories in a row.

Give LJ some credit. At least he's making the rest of this season worth watching.

Logical
12-17-2004, 08:43 PM
I do agree that there would have been plenty of plays that his pass protection would have been a liability, however, you don't bury a playmaking RB on the inactive list, IMO. You find ways to put him in a postion to succeed. That's what all good organizations do.

Look at how Saunders designs all of those gimmicky plays to get Dante the ball behind the line of scrimage with two or three blockers in front of him. Primarily that play where Trent does a quick three step drop, fires the ball to Dante with the tight end and a couple of receivers for blocking. Why not design a couple much simpler plays to get LJ the ball with a little space to run (i.e. draw plays, swing pass into the flats, quick slant, etc.)? I"m not so sure LJ couldn't have absorbed some of Kris Wilson's plays and done well with them. In fact, I'm not so sure that LJ couldn't do a damn good job with Dante's play.

In the end, maybe that's what this is all about. For Vermeil and Saunders to truly take advantage of LJ's skills they might have had to tweak the plays a bit more than they were willing to do after objecting to his drafting in the first place.

I do not understand the logic in tweaking the best offense in football over the last 3 years so one whiney young runningback who could not block gets more playing time. Let him sit and learn and improve through practice just as they did.

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 08:50 PM
I do not understand the logic in tweaking the best offense in football over the last 3 years so one whiney young runningback who could not block gets more playing time. Let him sit and learn and improve through practice just as they did.
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard you say. LJ owns the three longest runs of the season. While playing hardly at all. Yeah, he should sit and learn and improve through practice. Get a grip, Jim.

Logical
12-17-2004, 08:58 PM
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard you say. LJ owns the three longest runs of the season. While playing hardly at all. Yeah, he should sit and learn and improve through practice. Get a grip, Jim.

He should still be sitting if Priest were healthy. He should go back to sitting once Priest is back. I am all for seeing him until then.

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 09:04 PM
He should still be sitting if Priest were healthy. He should go back to sitting once Priest is back. I am all for seeing him until then.
Thank you sir. Have you ever heard of a guy named Wally Pipp?

Logical
12-17-2004, 09:14 PM

You ever heard of guy named Trung Candidate?

Ultra Peanut
12-17-2004, 09:28 PM
ROFL

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 09:38 PM
You ever heard of guy named Trung Candidate?
Just barely. Let's see, he was a flop in St. Louis and someplace else back east.

Logical
12-17-2004, 09:53 PM
Just barely. Let's see, he was a flop in St. Louis and someplace else back east.

Yup, Marshall Faulk gets injured and Trung a first round draft choice comes in and tears it up for 3 games. Fans think he should replace Marshall who is getting older. Marshall comes back and has a +2000 yard season with 20+ touchdowns. Candidate never does much again. Hmmm, could be the story of LJ's career as well. Time will tell.

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 10:01 PM
Yup, Marshall Faulk gets injured and Trung a first round draft choice comes in and tears it up for 3 games. Fans think he should replace Marshall who is getting older. Marshall comes back and has a +2000 yard season with 20+ touchdowns. Candidate never does much again. Hmmm, could be the story of LJ's career as well. Time will tell.
I'm thinking you're hoping for something like that to happen to LJ. That way you could still be "right". And that appears to be more important to you than the Chiefs winning. To each his own. I want him to prosper.

kczoo
12-17-2004, 10:03 PM
We need fuggin attitude round this beotch

Logical
12-17-2004, 10:11 PM
I'm thinking you're hoping for something like that to happen to LJ. That way you could still be "right". And that appears to be more important to you than the Chiefs winning. To each his own. I want him to prosper.

Nope I just want Priest playing again. In three or four years I will be happy to watch LJ and even the return of maul ball, which is what he is best suited to play.

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 10:25 PM
Nope I just want Priest playing again. In three or four years I will be happy to watch LJ and even the return of maul ball, which is what he is best suited to play.
Your optimism with Priest belies your usual demeanor toward all things Chiefs. Do you really think Priest will last 3-4 more years? You couldn't possibly believe that. Priest has finished both of the last two years on the injured list and will be 33 when next season starts. Couple that with his college history of knee injuries and surgery. That is why he went undrafted, not because of his talent. At any rate, I can see you want Priest to come back to deny Johnson the chance to prosper and therefore make you "right". I think we're past that point. At least most of us are.

Logical
12-17-2004, 10:34 PM
Your optimism with Priest belies your usual demeanor toward all things Chiefs. Do you really think Priest will last 3-4 more years? You couldn't possibly believe that. Priest has finished both of the last two years on the injured list and will be 33 when next season starts. Couple that with his college history of knee injuries and surgery. That is why he went undrafted, not because of his talent. At any rate, I can see you want Priest to come back to deny Johnson the chance to prosper and therefore make you "right". I think we're past that point. At least most of us are.

Actually 2 to 3 more years is what I meant for Priest which would follow with LJ in 3 or 4 years. Actually Priest did not finish last year on the injured list he played all 17 games last year.

Finally I do not want to return to maul ball yet. It is more that than LJ, I have said all along that in the right offense (a maulball offense) he would be a fit. I like our offense and LJ is not right for it the way it is run. Yes he had two good runs last week but otherwise he stunk up the joint with 5 carries for 17. I admit he had two great runs but that is not likely to occur every week.

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 10:57 PM
Actually 2 to 3 more years is what I meant for Priest which would follow with LJ in 3 or 4 years. Actually Priest did not finish last year on the injured list he played all 17 games last year.

Finally I do not want to return to maul ball yet. It is more that than LJ, I have said all along that in the right offense (a maulball offense) he would be a fit. I like our offense and LJ is not right for it the way it is run. Yes he had two good runs last week but otherwise he stunk up the joint with 5 carries for 17. I admit he had two great runs but that is not likely to occur every week.
OK, so it was the year before he finished with the Denver game debacle near the goal line. Either way, he is prone to injury and always has been even in college. And , NO, you have not said all along anything of the sort. You started screaming two minutes after LJ was drafted that it was a "wasted pick" and you continued to rail about it for months afterward. I figured that would be your tack, to just hope the situation got strung out enough that you could start with the obfuscation. Won't work. You acted like a spoiled child with the pick and it is well documented as soon as we get the search function back. You invented the word "squiggle" didn't you? Now you are practicing it. Give it up, we all know better.

Logical
12-17-2004, 11:12 PM
OK, so it was the year before he finished with the Denver game debacle near the goal line. Either way, he is prone to injury and always has been even in college. And , NO, you have not said all along anything of the sort. You started screaming two minutes after LJ was drafted that it was a "wasted pick" and you continued to rail about it for months afterward. I figured that would be your tack, to just hope the situation got strung out enough that you could start with the obfuscation. Won't work. You acted like a spoiled child with the pick and it is well documented as soon as we get the search function back. You invented the word "squiggle" didn't you? Now you are practicing it. Give it up, we all know better.

Actually you are wrong, I have said he could be a good back for teams like Tennessee, Pittsburgh and Dallas that have offenses that fit his style. Nice that you challenge this when the search function is out of commision.

tk13
12-17-2004, 11:14 PM
We've also got a guy here in Blaylock who's proven he can run in this league, but he's probably never gotten the shot he's deserved either. I said before the season that I thought LJ would be the better everydown back, and he probably will be, but Blaylock has done a nice job too. Priest is the leader here, he's the best RB in franchise history, and I think he has some control over how many snaps he gets and some of what goes on in the offense... notice how this year he was saying all preseason that he didn't want to catch as many balls and put it on the WR's to do that, and he caught fewer passes and Morton and Kennison are putting up their best seasons as Chiefs.

Wichita Lineman
12-18-2004, 06:53 AM
This thread has some of the best contributors that I have found. I usually respect what you all are saying so I don't understand the big argument. LJ has proven nothing yet,maybe he will,maybe he won't. I think we will see more of him gradually and next year there may be some running by commitee but after next year this offense will be done as we know it. That's when we'll really see the value or lack of value that LJ has.

Frankie
12-18-2004, 04:46 PM

Backups are not obtained in the first round.

Frankie
12-18-2004, 04:53 PM

Exactly.

And just based on my gut feeling, in three or four years, something tells me, the focus of our offense will be one Chris Wilson. Again, only a gut feeling.

philfree
12-18-2004, 07:16 PM
Exactly.

And just based on my gut feeling, in three or four years, something tells me, the focus of our offense will be one Chris Wilson. Again, only a gut feeling.

All this 3 or 4 year stuff is bull IMO. This is the Free Agent NFL and if LJ ain't getting the rock when he gets his 1st shot at free agency he is gone unless we want to franchise him and I doubt we can do that with Holmes still on the roster. Holmes and Johnson share the load next year 65-35 and then in 2006 after DVs departure LJ becomes the man. An offense based around Gonzo, LJ and Wilson Hopefully it will be the same O we run now.

penchief
12-18-2004, 09:09 PM
All this 3 or 4 year stuff is bull IMO. This is the Free Agent NFL and if LJ ain't getting the rock when he gets his 1st shot at free agency he is gone unless we want to franchise him and I doubt we can do that with Holmes still on the roster. Holmes and Johnson share the load next year 65-35 and then in 2006 after DVs departure LJ becomes the man. An offense based around Gonzo, LJ and Wilson Hopefully it will be the same O we run now.

I know people don't want to hear this but Priest has only one more year as the starter, if that. The dude is gonna be 32 next year. Two of his last three seasons have ended in injury. Even though he is the epotimy of a football player and a running back, he is not the future.

Unless you believe that Vermiel is going to win the Super Bowl next year or the year after that, you'd better trade Priest while he still has value. As much respect as Holmes deserves for his craft, his dedication, and his professionalism, LJ is our running back of the future. If we are going to win a Super Bowl it will be in the LJ era and not the Holmes era.

The Chiefs organization and their fans have a bona-fide dilemna. While these type dilemna's usually occur over the quarterback position, it has happened to us at running back. On one hand, Priest is the consumate pro and maybe the best in the biz today. On the other hand, LJ looks like he has a chance to be the second coming of OJ.

That, my friends, is a bona-fide dilemna.

Logical
12-18-2004, 09:15 PM
I know people don't want to hear this but Priest has only one more year as the starter, if that. The dude is gonna be 32 next year. Two of his last three seasons have ended in injury. Even though he is the epotimy of a football player and a running back, he is not the future.

Unless you believe that Vermiel is going to win the Super Bowl next year or the year after that, you'd better trade Priest while he still has value. As much respect as Holmes deserves for his craft, his dedication, and his professionalism, LJ is our running back of the future. If we are going to win a Super Bowl it will be in the LJ era and not the Holmes era.

The Chiefs organization and their fans have a bona-fide dilemna. While these type dilemna's usually occur over the quarterback position, it has happened to us at running back. On one hand, Priest is the consumate pro and maybe the best in the biz today. On the other hand, LJ looks like he has a chance to be the second coming of OJ.

That, my friends, is a bona-fide dilemna.Oh great! I did not even think he might be killing anyone.:(

penchief
12-18-2004, 09:20 PM
Oh great! I did not even think he might be killing anyone.:(

I'll take running backs who are nimble with power and speed, Alex.

Logical
12-18-2004, 09:23 PM
I'll take running backs who are nimble with power and speed, Alex.Two out of three for sure. I agree that beyond the LOS he has good moves but I do not consider that nimble. Priest is the epitome of nimble through the LOS.

Deberg_1990
12-18-2004, 09:28 PM
Two out of three for sure. I agree that beyond the LOS he has good moves but I do not consider that nimble. Priest is the epitome of nimble through the LOS.

So when will LJ become acceptable to you? When he becomes the next Walter Payton?? I want to know at what point would you consider him a good NFL back and NOT a wasted draft pick?

Logical
12-18-2004, 09:34 PM
So when will LJ become acceptable to you? When he becomes the next Walter Payton?? I want to know at what point would you consider him a good NFL back and NOT a wasted draft pick?

First of all I will never consider him anything other than a wasted draft pick because we did not need him. He could end up rushing for 2000 yards and that would still be true.

When he has over 2000 combined yards and over 20 TDs I will consider him a good player for the Chiefs. I hold him to the Priest Holmes standard since we wasted a first round pick for him to replace Priest.

penchief
12-18-2004, 09:39 PM
Two out of three for sure. I agree that beyond the LOS he has good moves but I do not consider that nimble. Priest is the epitome of nimble through the LOS.

I absolutely agree with your assessment of Priest. I do not agree with your assessment of LJ, which I belive is arrived at through stubbornness.

LJ is most definitely nimble when you consider how easily he splits defenders or outruns them to the prize. When a guy makes it look that easy, it is sometimes hard to tell that he is actually the one making it happen.

Deberg_1990
12-18-2004, 09:41 PM
First of all I will never consider him anything other than a wasted draft pick because we did not need him. He could end up rushing for 2000 yards and that would still be true.

When he has over 2000 combined yards and over 20 TDs I will consider him a good player for the Chiefs. I hold him to the Priest Holmes standard since we wasted a first round pick for him to replace Priest.

Oh brother.....this is why no one will ever live up to John Elway in Denver as well. You cant expect every single RB to be the next Priest, Payton, or Sanders.

go bo
12-18-2004, 09:43 PM

Give Leon his respect.ROFL ROFL ROFL :clap: :clap: :clap:

Logical
12-18-2004, 09:43 PM
Oh brother.....this is why no one will ever live up to John Elway in Denver as well. You cant expect every single RB to be the next Priest, Payton, or Sanders.

He was drafted to replace Priest when we desperately needed defenders and the HC wanted a defender. He better damn well be at least as good as Priest.

penchief
12-18-2004, 09:52 PM

People, look at what is going on here.

This is Logical's concession speech. For the first time, he is conceding that "even if he has over 2000 combined yards and scores over 20 TDs" he will still not be as good as Priest. Well, I might agree with that but it still doesn't change the fact that Priest won't be here when we win a Super Bowl but LJ just might.

He might not be Priest but if he combines for over 2000 yards and 20 touchdowns (as you said), I'll take that and hope that our defense can hold them.

Logical
12-18-2004, 09:54 PM
People, look at what is going on here.

This is Logical's concession speech. For the first time, he is conceding that "even if he has over 2000 combined yards and scores over 20 TDs" he will still not be as good as Priest. Well, I might agree with that but it still doesn't change the fact that Priest won't be here when we win a Super Bowl but LJ just might.

He might not be Priest but if he combines for over 2000 yards and 20 touchdowns (as you said), I'll take that and hope that our defense can hold them.

Having our defense hold anyone other than WR trying to run a route would be a major improvement.

penchief
12-18-2004, 09:56 PM
Having our defense hold anyone other than WR trying to run a route would be a major improvement.

You're too nice.

tk13
12-18-2004, 10:21 PM
Well, I might agree with that but it still doesn't change the fact that Priest won't be here when we win a Super Bowl but LJ just might.

I like LJ and all too, but to say we aren't going to win a Super Bowl while Priest is our running back and LJ isn't is pretty absurd....

penchief
12-18-2004, 10:38 PM
I like LJ and all too, but to say we aren't going to win a Super Bowl while Priest is our running back and LJ isn't is pretty absurd....

I don't think so. Unless you think we can fix our defense enough in two years there is no way Priest will be performing at a higher level than Johnson when he is 34 years old. you aren't overestimating Holmes' talent, your just aren't facing reality about his age and injuries. Even though I personally believe that our record has more to do with Priest's season ending early than the severity of his injury, that is still not enough to convince me that he will be durable enough to produce consistently for a 16 game season and the playoffs when he is 33 and 34 years old.

The other thing is that LJ looks like he has the chance to be very special, ala OJ or Dickerson. Not saying it is so but I am saying that his perfomance so far has my interest piqued.

tk13
12-18-2004, 10:47 PM
I don't think so. Unless you think we can fix our defense enough in two years there is no way Priest will be performing at a higher level than Johnson when he is 34 years old. you aren't overestimating Holmes' talent, your just aren't facing reality about his age and injuries. Even though I personally believe that our record has more to do with Priest's season ending early than the severity of his injury, that is still not enough to convince me that he will be durable enough to produce consistently for a 16 game season and the playoffs when he is 33 and 34 years old.

The other thing is that LJ looks like he has the chance to be very special, ala OJ or Dickerson. Not saying it is so but I am saying that his perfomance so far has my interest piqued.
We can fix the defense in one year. Doesn't mean we will, but we can. Everything in the NFL changes so much from year to year.... the Rams went from dead last in D in 2000 to top 10 in 2001 and a Super Bowl appearance. Pittsburgh's gone from 16 to 1 this year. Carl will will probably hit the FA market hard and then have to draft well. I don't think there are many guys on defense whose jobs are safe. That's the one good thing about the NFL, often times you can put things back together in a year unless you get into a situation like when DV got here and we had a ridiculous amount of dead money from bad contracts.

penchief
12-18-2004, 10:55 PM
We can fix the defense in one year. Doesn't mean we will, but we can. Everything in the NFL changes so much from year to year.... the Rams went from dead last in D in 2000 to top 10 in 2001 and a Super Bowl appearance. Pittsburgh's gone from 16 to 1 this year. Carl will will probably hit the FA market hard and then have to draft well. I don't think there are many guys on defense whose jobs are safe. That's the one good thing about the NFL, often times you can put things back together in a year unless you get into a situation like when DV got here and we had a ridiculous amount of dead money from bad contracts.

I can agree with much of this. There isn't even a dilemna if LJ wilts in the face of his opportunity. But what if Larry is exactly what we have seen so far (which is a strong possibility)? What if he is capable of duplicating exactly what he has done through college and right up to this point? That possibility is very intriguing.

tk13
12-18-2004, 11:01 PM
I can agree with much of this. There isn't even a dilemna if LJ wilts in the face of his opportunity. But what if Larry is exactly what we have seen so far (which is a strong possibility)? What if he is capable of duplicating exactly what he has done through college and right up to this point? That possibility is very intriguing.
What's any of that have to do with winning a Super Bowl with Priest as our lead RB next year?

penchief
12-18-2004, 11:04 PM

On second thought, if LJ turns out to be what it looks like he is capable of being, that ensures that we have offensive potency for a another five years or more. That gives us a nice window to develop some defensive potency.

The idea of trading LJ is not an option, IMO.

penchief
12-18-2004, 11:15 PM
What's any of that have to do with winning a Super Bowl with Priest as our lead RB next year?

Nothing, if we can do it. However, taking into consideration our level of defensive happlessness and Priest's proneness to being slowed by injury, I would say the smart money is not on us winning the Super Bowl next year. Nor would smart money be on Holmes staying healthy and productive long enough for us to get our ducks in a row to win it all while he is still more productive than Johnson.

Don't get me wrong. Priest is my favorite running back. I just think LJ is our next meal ticket.

Frankie
12-19-2004, 11:12 AM
On the other hand, LJ looks like he has a chance to be the second coming of OJ.

Assuming you are talking about OJ's football fame and not his other infamy, Your statement asks too much for us to believe. Again, two 100 yard games and LJ=OJ already. Another 100 yard game this weekend and he's god! :rolleyes: Do you even remember how fluid OJ ran?

Deberg_1990
12-19-2004, 11:17 AM
Assuming you are talking about OJ's football fame and not his other infamy, Your statement asks too much for us to believe. Again, two 100 yard games and LJ=OJ already. Another 100 yard game this weekend and he's god! :rolleyes: Do you even remember how fluid OJ ran?

No, but i remember how fluid he was with a knife!

penchief
12-19-2004, 11:22 AM

I'm going on what he has done; what his pattern has been. Even with his limited experience in the NFL, he is doing exactly what he has always done. He breaks long runs, he maintains an astronomical YPCarry avg. and he scores a lot of touchdowns. He is an athletic specimen that belies the illusion that he is slow and easily tackled. He possesses his own style that MAY someday make him a record-setting running back in the NFL.

penchief
12-19-2004, 11:40 AM

Yes I do. And that is what I'm referring to. LJ seems to make people miss or leaves them attempting arm tackles while he is running at full speed. That is exactly the fluidity I am speaking about. OJ was one of a kind when it comes to NFL running backs but LJ does similar things with his own style.

penchief
12-19-2004, 11:45 AM
No, but i remember how fluid he was with a knife!

In the open field, OJ was fluid like a knife. And so is LJ.

penchief
12-25-2005, 12:08 PM
Heh. There's some good reading on this thread, too.

Brock
12-25-2005, 12:14 PM

LJ is on pace for a 2300 yard season. It's a valid comparison.

penchief
12-25-2005, 12:24 PM

How prophetic.

CHIEF4EVER
12-25-2005, 12:32 PM

ROFL No truer words were ever typed.

Scalper
12-25-2005, 12:41 PM
Yeah that does suck that he is self centered but if this guy is going to put up 130+,game in and game out, i could care less what he says.

kczoo
12-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Brother man, if our "D" had his swagger, we'd be a bad ass contender. I love LJ.....hes just we need. Keep the "tude" up LJ!!

teedubya
12-25-2005, 12:46 PM
i consider us VERY fortunate that LJ was such a bust that NO ONE wanted to trade for him last year.

stevieray
12-25-2005, 12:56 PM
if Jopo's comparison ends up valid, we are witnessing greatness in the making.

It's been a long time since the NFL has had such a punishing runner. I think he mentally and phyiscally wears down defenses.

Defenses aren't used to playing against backs they don't want to tackle in the fourth qtr.

Wichita Lineman
12-25-2005, 04:39 PM
I'm fine with him as a running back also but I'd like to see him learn to block and I'd like to see him man up and lose the attitude off the field.

Ultra Peanut
12-25-2005, 04:39 PM
<3

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-25-2005, 04:52 PM

LJ may not be a model citizen but if he plays well enough to actually go into the hall of fame... that production can only be good for the Chiefs.