PDA

View Full Version : Carter: Are they the KC Cheats?

tk13
12-17-2004, 02:16 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/10434772.htm

Are they the Kansas City Cheats?
Broncos' coach accuses O-line

By IVAN CARTER
The Kansas City Star

Much attention has been focused over the years on the blocking techniques employed by the Denver offensive line. That style has resulted in more than a few serious injuries to opposing defensive linemen.

But to hear Denver defensive coordinator Larry Coyer tell it, the Broncos shouldn't have the league's most scrutinized O-line. The Chiefs should.

“They're talented, big-time linemen, but they cheat,” Coyer told the Colorado Springs Gazette Wednesday when asked about the Chiefs' highly regarded offensive line.

“They get by with murder. That's the truth, too. I hear everybody griping about ours, but these are the worst holders I ever saw in my life. They get by with more holding than any team in this league, and it's starting to aggravate me a little bit. Because it's outlandish.”

Coyer's comments are interesting for several reasons, starting with the fact that he hasn't been known as the Buddy Ryan type who often makes wild statements. Then there is the fact that the Chiefs have been among the NFL's most vocal critics when it comes to the blocking techniques employed by the Broncos.

Denver is famous for its cut blocks, a legal but often dangerous tactic in which an offensive lineman is asked to block a defensive lineman at or below the knees.

The Broncos, who typically build their offense around smaller, quicker offensive linemen rather than the hulking 320-plus-pounders favored by most teams, came under intense scrutiny in October when right tackle George Foster broke an ankle of Bengals defensive lineman Tony Williams on a cut block. The play was an extreme example of the cut-blocking tactic, because while not illegal, there exists among linemen an unwritten code regarding when to cut block.

At the moment when Foster dropped down on Williams, the play was at least 15 yards downfield. The Broncos perfected the cut block under the guidance of former offensive-line coach Alex Gibbs, who now holds the same position with the Atlanta Falcons.

When the Chiefs and Falcons met at Arrowhead in October, Falcons guard Steve Herndon blocked Chiefs rookie defensive tackle Junior Siavii from behind and low. Siavii suffered a high ankle sprain on the play and has been hobbled ever since.

After the game, Chiefs defensive tackle Ryan Sims called the Falcons “a cheaper version of Denver.”

“Cut blocks, chop blocks, leg whips, they do all that,” Sims said. “I mean, be an athlete. Stand up and block me like a man, one on one.”

Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil has often accused the Broncos of holding and getting away with it. Vermeil was especially irate after the Chiefs' 45-27 loss at Denver last Dec. 7, a game in which former Broncos running back Clinton Portis torched KC for 218 yards and five touchdowns.

When asked to respond to Coyer's comments Thursday, Vermeil took the high road.

“First off, all offensive lines hold; so does Denver's,” Vermeil said. “Earlier in the year, we were using our hands too much, and we've coached against it because we can't afford the holding penalties. We're better and hold less now than we did earlier in the year. Larry Coyer is a fine coach, so if he thinks that, it's a free world, he can think what he wants. But everybody holds, and we do it less often than most. He should go take a look at his own tapes.”

Dating to the start of the 2001 season, no NFL team has scored more rushing touchdowns than the Chiefs, who have 100. The Chiefs and Broncos are also the only NFL teams to have three running backs rush for 100 yards or more in a game this season. Despite the Chiefs' dominating offensive performances over the last few seasons, Coyer is the first coach to accuse the Kansas City offensive line of bending the rules.

In Denver's 34-24 season-opening victory over the Chiefs, left tackle Willie Roaf was the only Chiefs player flagged for holding.

Priest Holmes racked up 151 yards and three touchdowns in the game, the most yards and rushing touchdowns allowed by Denver all season.

“They don't need to (hold), they're that good. But they're awful,” Coyer said. “They grab, they hold and sooner or later these guys (referees) are going to have to start evening this game up a little bit. Because truly, they talk about our guys, but this is outlandish. It truly is.”

When asked to respond to Coyer's comments, Chiefs guard Brian Waters expressed amusement.

“Come on, that's just gamesmanship right there,” said Waters, who is having the best season of his five-year NFL career and became the first guard to receive honors as AFC offensive player of the week after the Chiefs' victory over Atlanta. “A lot of people are under pressure to win games right now, so they'll try to do whatever they have to do to win the game. I'm sure he's just saying that to get it in the referees' ears so they'll call the game a certain way on Sunday.”

Waters did say the Chiefs will keep Coyer's comments in mind, though.

“I guess we'll see on Sunday,” Waters said. “That's what's great about this game. It will all be decided on the field.”

Other Chiefs, including Sims, were similarly amused when told of Coyer's comments. Sims simply shook his head and laughed.

“They are saying that about our line?” Sims said. “That's funny.”

LTownChief
12-17-2004, 02:42 AM
leave it to the Broncos to criticize other teams blocking techniques. the broncos line, or coaches, should be thrown in jail for all of the careers that have been ruined because of them.

digi2fish
12-17-2004, 02:57 AM
4321 fxxk off, doncos.
it's shameless to slur our O-line while the whole league know WTF they're doin'
I'm really pissed off by this one

the Talking Can
12-17-2004, 04:10 AM
imagine Madonna calling someone a whore.....yeah....

Warrior5
12-17-2004, 06:50 AM
I remember you saying that you were going to forward the article to the Star.

morphius
12-17-2004, 07:25 AM
I sooooo hope this backfires on the donko's. I think Droughns is the type of RB that the Chiefs can stop, whether they do or not is something different of course. But if the refs start calling holding on the Donx they are going to completely fall apart.

RNR
12-17-2004, 07:58 AM
As I said in the other thread about this, I have never seen a players season end from being held.

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 08:14 AM
Only the Donx are accused of cheating by every team they play. They have been caught repeatedly. They need to S_T_F_U.

2bikemike
12-17-2004, 08:25 AM
Only the Donx are accused of cheating by every team they play. They have been caught repeatedly. They need to S_T_F_U.

No shit they ought to take a poll from all teams and I would be willing to bet that Denver would be #1 in the cheating category.

RNR
12-17-2004, 08:28 AM
No shit they ought to take a poll from all teams and I would be willing to bet that Denver would be #1 in the cheating category.
The 49ers would rank high also, the cheap shit started with Bob Kindrick and is carried on by Alex Gibbs

stevieray
12-17-2004, 08:35 AM
I didn't think it was humanly possible to despise a team as much as I do the Invescos.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see the refs in the Invescos back pocket this Sunday.

"Be an athlete, stand up and block me like a man...."

BigRedChief
12-17-2004, 08:46 AM
I love this. Maybe it will light some fire under our boys and we can just kick the living crap out of the donks this Sunday.

Warrior5
12-17-2004, 08:49 AM
I didn't think it was humanly possible to despise a team as much as I do the Invescos.

Oh trust me, it is.

Chief Faithful
12-17-2004, 08:59 AM
I hope Al Saunders lets the O-Line loose with a little old fashion smash-mouth football this Sunday.

Uncle_Ted
12-17-2004, 09:10 AM
The 49ers would rank high also, the cheap shit started with Bob Kindrick and is carried on by Alex Gibbs

Very good point! I had forgotten that it was the 49ers that started it.

Rain Man
12-17-2004, 09:58 AM
That is just freaking hilarious. Maybe we should take a game and block like the cheap-shot Bron cos do. Let's pick their best defensive player and break his leg when the play's 20 yards away.

Just when I think it's impossible to despise this team more, they come up with a new way to hate them.

shaneo69
12-17-2004, 10:12 AM
I hope LJ steps all over Al Wilson's face and then knees Lynch in the groin on his way to the endzone.

the Talking Can
12-17-2004, 11:34 AM
I love this. Maybe it will light some fire under our boys and we can just kick the living crap out of the donks this Sunday.

yeah, that's why I don't understand this....calling out our OL? um....call out our CBs or LBs or someone who can't do anything bout it...but our OL has real pride (see: Baltimore) and I wouldn't be giving them reasons to get fired up in an otherwise disappointing season...I hope they go "Atlanta" on their ass....

the Talking Can
12-17-2004, 11:35 AM
I hope LJ steps all over Al Wilson's face and then knees Lynch in the groin on his way to the endzone.

actually, that will be Brian Waters....

Chief Faithful
12-17-2004, 12:35 PM
yeah, that's why I don't understand this....calling out our OL? um....call out our CBs or LBs or someone who can't do anything bout it...but our OL has real pride (see: Baltimore) and I wouldn't be giving them reasons to get fired up in an otherwise disappointing season...I hope they go "Atlanta" on their ass....

You make a good point. Its not wise to tug on Superman's cape.

stevieray
12-17-2004, 01:03 PM
Very good point! I had forgotten that it was the 49ers that started it.

I'd bet Shanacheatingcrapahan was a niner then.

beer bacon
12-17-2004, 01:15 PM

I posted this over at the OM:

"This seems like a really dumb move by Coyer. It is one thing for a player to say something stupid and give material to an opposing them, but a coach? Way to fire up our O-line which is already one of the most dominating in football. I am sure Denver's D-line loves Coyer for this."

I got this response:

"Fire up your O-Line? The only guy who really has fire in his belly is Waters maybe. Your RT is basically a second year player forced into the role. Shields and Weigmann are great technicians and athletic but not dominators.

And Willie Roaf? Isn't he the one that got "Horned" out of New Orleans? Yeah he sounds like he's got a real mean streak.

4/5 of your OL will play very well no doubt. But this game is where Al Wilson, DJ Williams, John Lynch and Kennedy will get righteous on your RB.

Diaper Boy had fun running around untouched against 2nd and 3rd string bench jockies against Tenn, but this game is where our LBs/Safeties will hit Larry so hard it's gonna change his sex."

If Coyer anywhere as arrogant as their fans then I can see why he wouldn't even think about the chance that he could have a pissed off Willie Roaf or Brian Waters bitchslapping his D-line Sunday because of his idiotic comments.

penchief
12-17-2004, 02:04 PM
To me, this is a pre-game psychological ploy by a team that just recongnized that another team in their division has a legitimate home run threat at RB. Considering that the Broncos have had to threaten the physical health and livelihood of the defense to bust their guy free, it is only natural for them to think that we are cheating in order to bust LJ loose, as well.

Their hope is that the blocking is scrutinized enough that it may lead to a long TD run or two being called back. You never heard that complaint before from the Donks. It sounds to me like they might be a little worried.

How else can you explain a team with probably the dirtiest offensive line in the history of the game (relevent to the rules of their time), all of a sudden, accusing the best line in the game of cheating in order to succeed?

It's merely an attempt to get an edge because they fear LJ breaking off some long runs. If anybody knows RB talent, its the Donks, right?

It's so obvious.

RNR
12-17-2004, 10:16 PM
I'd bet Shanacheatingcrapahan was a niner then.Yes he worked with Kindrick while with the 49ers

Bowser
12-17-2004, 10:29 PM
Good to see Coyer working his way up the A-Hole ladder.

For hating the Raiduhs as much as he does, Shannyhan sure is doing his damndest to get the Broncos to look like the Raiduhs of old.

booger
12-19-2004, 04:44 PM
Outfreakinglandish i tell ya!!!!

Hammock Parties
12-19-2004, 04:47 PM
Coyer is a dumbass.

Sure-Oz
12-19-2004, 04:48 PM
“They are saying that about our line?” Sims said. “That's funny.”

nuff said. fvck you denver

the Talking Can
12-19-2004, 05:02 PM