PDA

View Full Version : GRETZ: Some Things Chiefs Related

ROYC75
12-17-2004, 08:51 AM
GRETZ: Some Things Chiefs Related
Dec 17, 2004, 6:05:57 AM by Bob Gretz

Random thoughts on various situations on the Chiefs radar screen these days.

CHANGING DIRECTION ON LJ: Quite possibly the funniest moments of this disappointing 2004 season have come in the past week. Just watching the media pundits and talk show hosts change course on the subject of Larry Johnson has been hilarious.

For two years they ripped Johnson, and Carl Peterson for drafting Johnson and anything Johnson related. One opinion monger who has spent the grand total of five minutes around the Chiefs locker room this season called Johnson a clubhouse cancer.

Then, LJ puts together back-to-back 100-yard rushing games and all the sudden the tide of opinion has changed. Rather than admit the mistake in their initial assessments, these observers now spend their time dissecting every word out of the young man’s mouth, questioning his intelligence and motivation. They reluctantly say that OK, maybe he can play. But it burns them to have to consider that Carl Peterson knew what he was doing when he drafted Johnson in the first round of the 2003 draft.

Johnson has gotten an opportunity and he’s made the most of it so far. On Sunday, he’ll face the best defense he’s seen in the Broncos. He’ll also be the starter, the feature back, which will be another step in his development.

Whether he has another big game, or stumbles in a bad performance, it figures to be quite entertaining watching the ink-stained wretches and tin-throats try to justify their latest statements involving this young man.

HERE’S THE DEAL ON LJ: He’s a talented running back, who has a nice combination of size, speed and power. In the Chiefs offense, he could be a 1,000-yard rusher, as long as that offensive line stays together. Whether he can become an upper echelon back like Holmes remains to be seen; he’ll have to get more opportunities. Nobody knew Holmes could fill that role until the 2001 season, when he joined the Chiefs and got the opportunities.

WINNING WITHOUT PRIEST: Maybe the most significant development of the last two weeks is this: the Chiefs won their first games without Holmes. Yes, the Raiders and Titans are not among the NFL’s best teams. The same could be said for New Orleans, and the Chiefs could not find a way to beat the Saints without Holmes.

They are now 2-5 without Holmes on the field for the opening offensive play, with two games in 2002 and five this season.

Amazingly, the Chiefs offense has not slowed with Holmes out of the lineup. Here are the numbers:http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/images/A36E1D98D389482284DA6F5619E5287A.GIF?0.15407900003052388

Obviously, the Chiefs are not gaining as many yards rushing the ball, down almost 24 yards per game without Holmes. But they are throwing the ball and still scoring points, and when they run, they are effective.

The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of the Kansas City Chiefs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A former beat reporter who covered the Pittsburgh Steelers during their glory years, Gretz covered the Chiefs for the Kansas City Star for nine years before heading up KCFX-FM's sports department. He is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Board of Selectors. His column appears three times a week during the season.

kc rush
12-17-2004, 09:06 AM
All of the stuff I've heard on the radio the past couple of days have pointed to LJ being a cancer, a me first player, a guy with few friends on the team and in the coaching staff.

The media has started to acknowledge that the guy has talent, but as a person they say he is a dud.

Lzen
12-17-2004, 09:12 AM
All of the stuff I've heard on the radio the past couple of days have pointed to LJ being a cancer, a me first player, a guy with few friends on the team and in the coaching staff.

The media has started to acknowledge that the guy has talent, but as a person they say he is a dud.

I'm starting to wonder that as well. I just don't know what to think of this guy at this point.
:shake:
Frankly, I wish he'd just keep his mouth shut.

ROYC75
12-17-2004, 09:12 AM
What I found strange were the #'s , the stats are not that much different without PH.

So much for game planning around PH ?

Lzen
12-17-2004, 09:18 AM
What this says is that they've learned to live without Priest. That despite what certain dumbasses have said (.....cough...TJ.....cough.....), Trent Green can carry an offense without Priest. :thumb:

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 09:26 AM
So the Chiefs are down by 24 yds without Priest. That is with Blaylock getting most of the work. Get LJ most of the work and I'd bet they would be up yards, not down.