PDA

View Full Version : Any planeteer living/familiar with Oregon?

Frankie
12-17-2004, 02:07 PM
Eugene/Springfield area to be exact. I'm getting an interview for something there. Too rooted here in central Iowa to uproot and move. But if I wanted to move someplace, I've always had an interest in Oregon from afar. Especially the sw parts which according to someone "has the California benefits without the earthquake." Should I believe that statement? I guess he meant it in terms of Northern CA and availibility of both mountains and the ocean.

Phobia
12-17-2004, 02:11 PM
I'm pretty sure you would get kilt in Oregon, Frankie.

Plus, that's where Big Daddy plans to settle.

Frankie
12-17-2004, 02:12 PM
Someone get my boots......!

Hydrae
12-17-2004, 02:14 PM
Oregon is beautiful. I lived in the Portland area for 16 years from 1974-1990.

Access to the mountains and the ocean is one of the big benefits. Just remember that the ocean is very cold, people wear wet suits to surf! If you enjoy hiking and other outdoor activites, there is a lot to do.

The other thing to keep in mind is the weather. It rains quite a bit, especially in the winter. It may not be quite as bad that far south, not sure but it can be very depressing at times when you have not seen the sun in weeks.

From my limited knowledge of the area, I would recommend Eugene over Springfield. They are seperated by I-5 but my impression has always been that Springfield is the poorer of the two with higher crime and poverty rates.

NewChief
12-17-2004, 02:14 PM
You'd be absolutely fine in Eugene. I have several friends that live there, and I've visited a few times. It's a great progressive town, very similar to Boulder without quite as much overblown, overpriced yuppie elitism.

Frankie
12-17-2004, 02:15 PM
BTW, Phob, aside from kilt being a short skirt my f'rner brain does not process the word you used. Did you per chance mean "killed?"

Alton deFlat
12-17-2004, 02:17 PM
You may have already seen this Frankie, but here is some info (http://www.ci.eugene.or.us/) about Eugene.

Iowanian
12-17-2004, 02:19 PM
I think Taco lives near there.

go west young man

Eleazar
12-17-2004, 02:20 PM
Holy crep an inteview. Congratulations.

BIG_DADDY
12-17-2004, 02:24 PM
I was raised in Southern Oregon and am very familiar with Eugene. You would fit right in there Frankie Eugene is a college town with a bunch of fvcking hippies in it. It is one of the biggest cesspool's of liberalism in the United States and a huge producer of LSD. Sounds like you just found paradise. Oh yea, no sales tax there either.

Frosty
12-17-2004, 02:29 PM
Oh yea, no sales tax there either.

Just really high income tax.

It's Duck country. "Nuff said.

Frankie
12-17-2004, 02:29 PM
Oregon is beautiful. I lived in the Portland area for 16 years from 1974-1990.

Access to the mountains and the ocean is one of the big benefits. Just remember that the ocean is very cold, people wear wet suits to surf! If you enjoy hiking and other outdoor activites, there is a lot to do.

The other thing to keep in mind is the weather. It rains quite a bit, especially in the winter. It may not be quite as bad that far south, not sure but it can be very depressing at times when you have not seen the sun in weeks.

Thanks Hydrae. I have friends in Portlant. Not real close friends though. I visited there about 15 years ago and only for a couple of days. I drove from CA to WA on that trip. Too far back to remember details as a place to live.

I love the ocean only in a scenic way. I have an uncontrolable shark phobia anyhow.

Actually it's too much sunny-ness that would depress me. I'm strange that way. I actually love rainy days (especially occaisional thunder) as long as they don't dominate the calendar. Got that from mom. She lived in San Jose, CA for a couple of years. But couldn't stand it. "It's always sunny here," she always lamented over the phone, "I miss Iowa's thunderstorms!"

Frankie
12-17-2004, 02:35 PM
Holy crep an inteview. Congratulations.
I've had many interviews. Usually the young applicants prove to not need as much qualifications as I have. :banghead: Don't anyone tell me there is no age discrimination in this country. "Equal opportunity Employer" my ass. This thing is merely another interview. So I've learned not to hold my hopes high. But the geography matches a place I've always had some interest in. Hence, this thread.

Frankie
12-17-2004, 02:41 PM
I'm pretty sure you would get kilt in Oregon, Frankie.

Plus, that's where Big Daddy plans to settle.

BTW, phob, guess what city has etched a great impression on me to have been REALLY high on the list of places to retire in?

Give up?..... Springfield, MO!!!... Really. (Get the irony?)

Frankie
12-17-2004, 02:44 PM
You may have already seen this Frankie, but here is some info (http://www.ci.eugene.or.us/) about Eugene.
Thanks. I had a couple of websites on Oregon. But not that one.

Eleazar
12-17-2004, 02:44 PM
I've had many interviews. Usually the young applicants prove to not need as much qualifications as I have. :banghead: Don't anyone tell me there is no age discrimination in this country. "Equal opportunity Employer" my ass.

Oh, I'm also sure you are being victimized in some way.

:rolleyes:

Frankie
12-17-2004, 02:45 PM
Any comments on if the 'no-earthquake' comment is valid? That's a bit of a phobia for me as well.

Frankie
12-17-2004, 02:48 PM
I think Taco lives near there.

go west young man

I thought he lived in WA.

BIG_DADDY
12-17-2004, 02:49 PM
Just really high income tax.

It's Duck country. "Nuff said.

State tax is high and property tax is even higher but hey Frankie is a liberal he loves paying taxes. I do love the mountains there though, it's god's country and no I'm not refering to Alah. One of the good things for Frankie is he could play the Iranian victim and might even be able to close a little Denise tail for the first time in 20 years. Maybe then he will finally lose that sensitive little bitch mentality he has, we can only hope.

BIG_DADDY
12-17-2004, 02:50 PM
I thought he lived in WA.

Portland I think.

Hydrae
12-17-2004, 03:08 PM
Thanks Hydrae. I have friends in Portlant. Not real close friends though. I visited there about 15 years ago and only for a couple of days. I drove from CA to WA on that trip. Too far back to remember details as a place to live.

I love the ocean only in a scenic way. I have an uncontrolable shark phobia anyhow.

Actually it's too much sunny-ness that would depress me. I'm strange that way. I actually love rainy days (especially occaisional thunder) as long as they don't dominate the calendar. Got that from mom. She lived in San Jose, CA for a couple of years. But couldn't stand it. "It's always sunny here," she always lamented over the phone, "I miss Iowa's thunderstorms!"

Don't be expecting much in the way of thunderstorms. It is more of a constant drizzle.

Taco lived in Oregon but recently moved acrossed the Columbia to Vancouver. I believe KCDan lives in Vancouver as well.

And yes, drugs up the ying yang. Eugene is where crank (crystal meth) got it's start. It has been a problem in the Northwest for much longer than it has most of the rest of the country. One of the good things about my leaving the area, I loved that stuff too much and it probably would have killed me by now. :shake:

Iowanian
12-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Taco is a Canuk?

Holy crap........what did I do with that Terrence and Phillip Pic?

KC Dan
12-17-2004, 03:11 PM
Don't be expecting much in the way of thunderstorms. It is more of a constant drizzle.

Taco lived in Oregon but recently moved acrossed the Columbia to Vancouver. I believe KCDan lives in Vancouver as well.

And yes, drugs up the ying yang. Eugene is where crank (crystal meth) got it's start. It has been a problem in the Northwest for much longer than it has most of the rest of the country. One of the good things about my leaving the area, I loved that stuff too much and it probably would have killed me by now. :shake:
Yup, live in Vancouver, WA. I make fairly regular trips to Eugene at one of my customer sites. Eugene is the home of U. of Oregon. So, many young coeds and massive freaks and drugs run rampant. But, it is a very quiet place and quite beautiful.

KC Dan
12-17-2004, 03:12 PM
Taco is a Canuk?

State of Washington, not B.C.

NewChief
12-17-2004, 03:12 PM
Taco is a Canuk?

Vancouver, WA. Not Vancouver, British Columbia.

That's a source of much confusion for people. Vancouver is like Portland's sister city. It's directly across the river and state border.

Iowanian
12-17-2004, 03:14 PM
wow.........I'm slower.....

I'm supposed to know my geography better than that.

KC Dan
12-17-2004, 03:17 PM
Wow, am I slow.
nope, probably drunk. yeah, that's the ticket, he's drunk not slow.

Frosty
12-17-2004, 03:43 PM
I do love the mountains there though, it's god's country and no I'm not refering to Alah.

I lived more than 20 years in the Salem area and love the Willamette Valley. Even though I've lived in the mountains of NE Washington for almost 10 years, I still miss the rain. :)

Also, just so Frankie knows, there is little earthquake risk there and the ocean is way to cold for sharks (or swimming, for that matter). Good fishing, though.

Also, brush up on your Spanish, if you move into that area.

Logical
12-17-2004, 03:57 PM
Hahaha. Vlad couldn't delete fast enough.:doh!:

Frankie
12-17-2004, 05:18 PM
Eugene ..... But, it is a very quiet place and quite beautiful.
Both are PLUSes in my book.

Frosty
12-17-2004, 05:29 PM
But, it is a very quiet place

At least it is when the U of O students aren't rioting (http://www.dailyemerald.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2003/06/26/3efb103b2216c) .

:rolleyes: