PDA

View Full Version : GameCube for Christmas?

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-17-2004, 04:30 PM
So, I don't know shit about video games. Don't play 'em, don't like 'em, don't care. My wife and I always said we'd never have a video game system in the house because we didn't really want to kids brains and bodies turning to mush from sitting in front of them.

My eight year old wants a Game Cube. She's a pretty good kid, studies hard, behaves generally and we now figure video games can't be any worse than television and at least they are kind of using their brains and hand/eye coordination....and we can always limit her time on it... so I bought one for her today. Spongebob and Mario Brothers games too that she says she likes to play at a friends house.

Now we're told the the X-box is really the way to go because the Game Cube will be obsolete in a year or less. She specifically asked for the Game cube because she likes it and knows how to play it. But....should we take it back and get an X-box instead?

Christmas... :banghead:

RealSNR
12-17-2004, 04:31 PM
Gamecube sucks.

RealSNR
12-17-2004, 04:32 PM
If your daughter wants a GC that badly, get her some help.

Big Cujo
12-17-2004, 04:37 PM
Game Cube is fun for a 8 year old and its easier to play. For teens a x box is better and has more technology.
Since the kid is younger you made the right choice. They will want the newer technology in a few years anyway. Then they will be older and ready for the new stuff

Deberg_1990
12-17-2004, 04:39 PM
Game Cube is fun for a 8 year old and its easier to play. For teens a x box is better and has more technology.
Since the kid is younger you made the right choice. They will want the newer technology in a few years anyway. Then they will be older and ready for the new stuff

Basically what he said.....You made the right choice for an 8 year old. Playstation and X-Box games cater to the 16-35 year old crowd. Nintendo games cater to the 14 - under crowd.

Saulbadguy
12-17-2004, 04:46 PM
Gamecube is good. I like it.

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-17-2004, 04:46 PM
Cool, thanks.

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-17-2004, 04:47 PM
Basically what he said.....You made the right choice for an 8 year old. Playstation and X-Box games cater to the 16-35 year old crowd. Nintendo games cater to the 14 - under crowd.
:thumb:

Thanks!

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-17-2004, 04:48 PM
If your daughter wants a GC that badly, get her some help.
She's 8 years old dumbass. What's your excuse?

Eleazar
12-17-2004, 04:48 PM
Nintendo is a good choice for kids that age.

Jenson71
12-17-2004, 04:56 PM
When I was 8 my aunt gave me a Sega. It was the coolest thing in the world.

The next day my parents took it back because I was too young. That Christmas, I got a pen and paper, and they told me that I should be happy with just that, dammit, cause there were kids in Ethopia who would die for a nice ball point pen.

So I took the pen and stab them, and that's why I know live with the Johnsons, my foster family. They don't bother me and I have a nice computer I waste a bunch of time on.

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-17-2004, 05:02 PM
When I was 8 my aunt gave me a Sega. It was the coolest thing in the world.

The next day my parents took it back because I was too young. That Christmas, I got a pen and paper, and they told me that I should be happy with just that, dammit, cause there were kids in Ethopia who would die for a nice ball point pen.

So I took the pen and stab them, and that's why I know live with the Johnsons, my foster family. They don't bother me and I have a nice computer I waste a bunch of time on.
Inspirational.

Jenson71
12-17-2004, 05:05 PM
The moral of the story? Don't take it back.

Digital Takawira
12-17-2004, 05:13 PM
you should get her resident evil 4. she would love it. i don't know if there is a game that caters more towards the 10 and under demographic. right up there with mario.

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-17-2004, 05:20 PM
you should get her resident evil 4. she would love it. i don't know if there is a game that caters more towards the 10 and under demographic. right up there with mario.
We're going with SpongeBob, but thanks.

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-17-2004, 05:20 PM
The moral of the story? Don't take it back.
Gotcha.

memyselfI
12-17-2004, 05:25 PM
So, I don't know shit about video games. Don't play 'em, don't like 'em, don't care. My wife and I always said we'd never have a video game system in the house because we didn't really want to kids brains and bodies turning to mush from sitting in front of them.

My eight year old wants a Game Cube. She's a pretty good kid, studies hard, behaves generally and we now figure video games can't be any worse than television and at least they are kind of using their brains and hand/eye coordination....and we can always limit her time on it... so I bought one for her today. Spongebob and Mario Brothers games too that she says she likes to play at a friends house.

Now we're told the the X-box is really the way to go because the Game Cube will be obsolete in a year or less. She specifically asked for the Game cube because she likes it and knows how to play it. But....should we take it back and get an X-box instead?

Don't do it. I wish I hadn't. We limit the times and games the kids can play but it's still difficult because the games get old and they want more complicated games and games that originally are rated "T" have their sequels being released as "M" which makes saying "no" really complicated. But, I continue to do it. Of course my older son gets around this by playing the "M" games at his friends houses because they have parents who will buy them ANYTHING...

it's just easier NOT to go there to begin with.

The better answer is to get her games for the PC.

Donger
12-17-2004, 05:28 PM
Don't do it. I wish I hadn't. We limit the times and games the kids can play but it's still difficult because the games get old and they want more complicated games and games that originally are rated "T" have their sequels being released as "M" which makes saying "no" really complicated. But, I continue to do it. Of course my older son gets around this by playing the "M" games at his friends houses because they have parents who will buy them ANYTHING...

Let me guess the titles...

Freedom Fighters: Death to America!!

and

Radical Islam: The Religion of Peace

patteeu
12-17-2004, 05:29 PM
As others have said, gamecube is good for the kids. If that's what she's asking for, there isn't any reason to go xbox or ps2. Super Mario Cart or whatever the latest version is called is a good game for multiplayer family fun.

memyselfI
12-17-2004, 05:31 PM
Let me guess the titles...

Freedom Fighters: Death to America!!

and

Radical Islam: The Religion of Peace

Yeah, those would be the "M" games they see at their friend's homes. :rolleyes:

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-17-2004, 05:31 PM
We've done that too. Now I've already bought it and I'd feel terrible not giving it to her. She's a good kid and we're pretty strict parents so I'm hoping all will work out.

Thanks for your advice.

Donger
12-17-2004, 05:32 PM
Yeah, those would be the "M" games they see at their friend's homes. :rolleyes:

Allahu akhbar!

|Zach|
12-17-2004, 05:33 PM
Eh, I had video games when I was a kid. I turned out all right.

What's the worst that could happen?
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=104095

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-17-2004, 05:33 PM
Eh, I had video games when I was a kid. What's the worst that could happen?
oh dear God............................

Digital Takawira
12-17-2004, 05:42 PM

how is getting games for the pc going to stop the games from "getting more complicated" or prevent them from playing games with an "M" rating?
what's so complicated about saying no. you're the parent. look in to it.
:shake: wow, if you didn't hate bush so much, i'd say you were totally hopeless.

Taco John
12-17-2004, 06:13 PM

You did the right thing... The GameCube is an excellent machine for younger kids, and there are tons of games for it right now. Plus, there are so many game stores that sell used games, that you'll save some bucks buying games for it.

The Xbox is a great system, my favorite by far of the two... However, it's not a kid's machine really... The games are more for adults, IMO.

The GameCube is ideal for the kid, ESPECIALLY if you're buying for your daughter. You'd be making a huge mistake buying an Xbox for your daughter, especially if she specifically asked for a GameCube. She knows what she wants, and probably why...

Saulbadguy
12-17-2004, 06:16 PM

Mature isn't that bad. Its just blowing up shit. No nipples or anything to be afraid of.

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-17-2004, 06:17 PM
You did the right thing... The GameCube is an excellent machine for younger kids, and there are tons of games for it right now. Plus, there are so many game stores that sell used games, that you'll save some bucks buying games for it.

The Xbox is a great system, my favorite by far of the two... However, it's not a kid's machine really... The games are more for adults, IMO.

The GameCube is ideal for the kid, ESPECIALLY if you're buying for your daughter. You'd be making a huge mistake buying an Xbox for your daughter, especially if she specifically asked for a GameCube. She knows what she wants, and probably why...
Thanks. You don't always suck. But usually.

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-17-2004, 06:18 PM
Mature isn't that bad. Its just blowing up shit. No nipples or anything to be afraid of.
She doesn't need to be blowing up shit for fun. I'm not raising her republican.

:)

Saulbadguy
12-17-2004, 06:20 PM
Also, Mario Kart Double Dash is a blast. You might even enjoy playing it once in awhile.

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-17-2004, 06:21 PM
Also, Mario Kart Double Dash is a blast. You might even enjoy playing it once in awhile.
mmmmmkay. I bought something Mario...hell I don't remember.

|Zach|
12-17-2004, 06:22 PM
Game Cube is perfect for a good that age. Good buy.

Valiant
12-17-2004, 06:28 PM

Duh'nese you obvisouly know jack shit about PC games... Ninento caters to Teens and younger where as PC and Xbox to adults... Topics like these and Chiefs you need to stay out of...

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-17-2004, 06:29 PM
Game Cube is perfect for a good that age. Good buy.
spank you Helpy Helperton...

:)

KcMizzou
12-17-2004, 06:30 PM
mmmmmkay. I bought something Mario...hell I don't remember. Paper Mario?

From everything I've ready it's a great game. There was a guy from one of the gaming magazines on the radio the other day who was talking about Halo.. GTA.. etc. He said that's one of the best games of the year. Good choice..

I may get it for my kids too.. depending on how much cash Santa has left over. Their "big" present is going to be a pair of Gameboy Advances with a couple games each.

Taco John
12-17-2004, 06:32 PM
mmmmmkay. I bought something Mario...hell I don't remember.

If you want a game that you and your wife can both have fun with her playing, purchase any of the Mario Party series... That's just good,wholesome family fun there...

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-17-2004, 06:32 PM
Paper Mario?

Good choice..
:shrug:

Jenson71
12-17-2004, 07:10 PM
Duh'nese you obvisouly know jack shit about PC games... Ninento caters to Teens and younger where as PC and Xbox to adults... Topics like these and Chiefs you need to stay out of...

No, quit acting like such a ****ing retard. Are you telling me there's no PC games directed towards children? Don't be so ****ing stupid...

KcMizzou
12-17-2004, 07:24 PM
If you want a game that you and your wife can both have fun with her playing, purchase any of the Mario Party series... That's just good,wholesome family fun there... Yeah... they're great. It plays like a board game where landing on certain spaces trigger minigames... shooting hoops... fishing... anything you can imagine. (I think there are like 50 or 60 of them) You can pick up one of the older versions for $19.99.. they're all about the same. Get that, and a few extra controllers (the GC has 4 ports) and you'll have a blast playing w/ them. You'll probably enjoy it as much as your daughter does.

memyselfI
12-17-2004, 07:31 PM
how is getting games for the pc going to stop the games from "getting more complicated" or prevent them from playing games with an "M" rating?
what's so complicated about saying no. you're the parent. look in to it.
:shake: wow, if you didn't hate bush so much, i'd say you were totally hopeless.

I did not say PC gaming was not going to stop the games from getting more complicated...

rather investing in PC games means that when she outgrows the games or tires of them there is a use for the machine other than a paperweight. And, the PC games are cheaper and often in as many titles as are the console games.

Most of my friends have girls ages 7-14 years old and the PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, etc. have limited appeal at best after a couple of months or so.