PDA

View Full Version : DAWES: The Truth About LJ

royr17
12-17-2004, 09:05 PM
http://kcchiefs.com/news/2004/12/16/dawes_the_truth_about_lj/

DAWES: The Truth About LJ
Dec 16, 2004, 3:24:36 AM by Media Watch by Rufus Dawes

Now that Larry Johnson-mania has replaced diapergate, nachogate, Fighting Irishgate, and half a dozen other media manufactured-gates, some people are on the edge of their seats trying to make sense of the running back’s relationship with his coaches, teammates, next door neighbors, opponents, and you name ‘em.

It’s all the rage on the local radio talk show circuit. Of course these are the same people who told us Marty Schottenheimer couldn’t coach, brought bad guys to Kansas City and now credit him for everything the team achieved in the decade of the 90s because the team he leads now is winning. They’re also the same people who only a month ago said Johnson was a bust like every draft pick taken by this team. They’re the same people who said that Warren Sapp was the answer to the Chiefs’ defensive ills. They’re the people who fire head coaches every week, pat themselves on the back, and then can’t come up with a single name on who might replace them. The more they run their mouths the more they’re exposed.

By all accounts prior to his arrival in Kansas City, Larry Johnson was a gifted and outspoken player. That’s who he was then and is now. He has had the chance over the past couple of weeks to show what he can do on the field and this weekend will be on center stage against a top five defense. If he does well, whatever has been said and written about him in a negative way will be forgotten by those who made the disparaging remarks. That’s the way their world works. If he flops, it’ll be akin to a collapse and an indictment by the same people. They’ll make him out to be Bernard Kerik.

I don’t know if Larry Johnson gets along with his coaches or anybody else and I don’t care. None of us should. Players have been feuding with each other and their coaches ever since the games began and it never seemed to matter much. Winning covered up any of the problems then and will do so now. You want to know what the problem with the Chiefs is? It’s not Larry Johnson or whether or not he can play, or if he makes nice with his locker room neighbor. It’s that the team is 5-8. Winning cures everything.

It’s all such nonsense. What Larry Johnson will mean to this team is still be determined. But it’ll be determined on the football field not through hokum that passes for profundity.

The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of the Kansas City Chiefs.

2bikemike
12-17-2004, 09:08 PM
Was he talking about Chiefs Planet?

ChiTown
12-17-2004, 09:08 PM
The opinions offered in this column do not necessarily reflect those of the Kansas City Chiefs.

The biggest fn lie from the whole article.

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 09:11 PM
I didn't know Dufus was still around.

Logical
12-17-2004, 09:12 PM
You want to know what the problem with the Chiefs is? It’s not Larry Johnson or whether or not he can play, or if he makes nice with his locker room neighbor. It’s that the team is 5-8. Winning cures everything.

OK this IMO proves that Dawes is not Carl. The writer of this statement has the intellectual acumen of an idiot. As much as I hate Carl he is not an idiot.

They should just dump Dawes now.

RedandGold
12-17-2004, 09:13 PM
The opinions offered in this column reflect those of the Kansas City Chiefs front office.

I think this might be a bit more accurate...

Terribilis
12-17-2004, 09:16 PM
The biggest fn lie from the whole article.
ROFL

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 09:16 PM
OK this IMO proves that Dawes is not Carl. The writer of this statement has the intellectual acumen of an idiot. As much as I hate Carl he is not an idiot.

They should just dump Dawes now.
No, it's not Carl. It's widely believed it is Bob Moore. The Bad Guy says he knows for sure it is Moore through his connections to NFL Films. He interned with them this past summer.

ChiTown
12-17-2004, 09:20 PM
No, it's not Carl. It's widely believed it is Bob Moore. The Bad Guy says he knows for sure it is Moore through his connections to NFL Films. He interned with them this past summer.

IMO, there is very little doubt that it's "Back Rub" Bob Moore. I never suspected it to ever be CP. Not even he's that fn stupid.

Michael Michigan
12-17-2004, 10:54 PM
I didn't know Dufus was still around.

They yanked his last piece.

http://www.plattecountylandmark.com/ghall.htm

•“Sports Bar Man, or Sports Talk Caller, is what Orwell referred to as the Sancho Panza type, who, he writes, covets ‘soft beds, no work, pots of beer, and women with ‘voluptuous’ figures.’”
Rufus Dawes, incognito Chiefs columnist and self-proclaimed media watchdog, kcchiefs.com

GH: Rufus’ column incited sports talk show hosts and callers last week and was eventually pulled and stricken from the Chiefs official website. But not before the OTC was able to snare a few quotes. Read on.

•“Sports Talk Caller has such a flimsy sense of self that he derives his identity from listening to or being heard on a radio station. He is capable of detached malevolent humor at the expense of others; indeed, he often relishes these experiences with his buddies. He is typically inarticulate, responding to the talk show host’s most outrageous and antagonistic comments.”
Rufus Dawes, kcchiefs.com

GH: Is Rufus describing sports talk radio callers or what goes on in the Chiefs locker room and front office?

•“For his part, the host, who enjoys hanging with Sports Talk Caller and who covets his approbation, seldom talks about issues preferring to stay right on the surface. When he does raise questions he does so most of the time without answering them himself. He more often hollers about what is wrong without suggesting a course of action short of firing someone. In short, he is the ultimate backseat driver who doesn’t have anything to say except that the current driver isn’t good enough.”

GH: The Chiefs current driver (aka Carl Peterson) isn’t good enough. Even Mike Murphy Caller can see that.

•“Sport was once thought to bring out the best in people. Sports talk radio does just the opposite. It delights in negativity; it tears down sports institutions and sports people.”

GH: When was it that sports brought out the best in people? Back when blacks were not allowed to participate in white-controlled America? Bad things are allowed to happen when no one is allowed to ask questions. One of the best things to happen to sports in America is the proliferation of sports talk radio. The fan, nay the customer, no longer has to be silent. Sports talk radio gives him a voice and a pulpit to allow him or her to be heard by those who need to hear. And the fact that Rufus exists on the Chiefs official website is proof that they are listening very attentively.

•“Carl (Peterson) had nothing to do with the decision (to pull the Rufus column). I don’t think he ever even read it.”
Bob Moore, Chiefs director of spin, in Jeffrey Flanagan’s column in The Kansas City Star

GH: Sure, Bob. And Carl doesn’t listen to sports talk radio either.

•“We did hear from them (WHB and KCSP). But I wouldn’t say we felt pressured into putting the column down. We’ve done that with other columns in the past, so it’s nothing new. To be honest, the calls we personally received about the column … most of the people agreed with the column.”
Bob Moore, Chiefs PR director, Kansas City Star

GH: Sure, Bob. How many times did you speed dial yourself…Uh, I mean Rufus? When Flanagan asked Moore how Rufus took the news that his/her/its column had been pulled he said, “We didn’t tell him.” At least they treat Rufus the same as they do Leon.

•“We know this, that Mitch Holthus and Bob Moore are both big Civil War buffs.”
Kevin Kietzman, guessing that one of these two is the real Rufus, 810 AM

GH: Mitch? Interesting.

•“I read Rufusssess column. He reminds me of the Sheriff in “South Park,” whose only ability is to put his arms up and declare everything is fine, and there is nothing to see here. While behind him, the town is getting stomped into Bolivian (thanks Mike Tyson). I heard at the Boston Tea Party, Ruttles was trying to tell people to stop, because they just don’t understand how tea is made. (I can’t believe I just analogized the Boston Tea Party). Ruffles should have chosen Art Vandalay as his name while he was at it. Rewfessess: “How dare you publicize the ‘Slapper’! Do you know how hard it is to play DB while intoxicated?!! If you think it’s easy giving up 30 points a game, then why don’t you play football!” “You just don’t understand how to watch football. And stop having expectations for your Chiefs’ season ticket dollar. Just send us your money and zip your trap or we will accidentally head slap you!” Did you know that Rufees has a few other jobs besides the Chefs? 1) He was a spokesman for Barry Bonds. It’s perfectly natural for someone’s head to grow after age 30 & we just don’t understand how the human body works. 2) He was a spokesman for the film “Ishtar” and more recently, “Alexander.” They are great movies and we just don’t understand how filmmaking works. 3) Stop me before I analogize again. Take care and I hope I get a Slapper Stocking Stuffer!”

OTC Reader Jason, Chicago

DanT
12-17-2004, 11:09 PM
I don’t know if Larry Johnson gets along with his coaches or anybody else and I don’t care. None of us should. Players have been feuding with each other and their coaches ever since the games began and it never seemed to matter much. Winning covered up any of the problems then and will do so now. You want to know what the problem with the Chiefs is? It’s not Larry Johnson or whether or not he can play, or if he makes nice with his locker room neighbor. It’s that the team is 5-8. Winning cures everything.

I think it's safe to say that most fans of a NFL team consider it important if that team has a first-round draft pick not getting playing time and are interested in knowing why the heck he isn't. Why shouldn't we care about Larry Johnson getting along with his coaches? That seems to have been a main reason for his lack of playing time.

Rausch
12-18-2004, 02:28 AM
I agree with the article. It just hits a little too close to home for some planeteers, since that's where Dawes seems to get his subject of the week anyway...

|Zach|
12-18-2004, 02:46 AM
I agree with the article. It just hits a little too close to home for some planeteers, since that's where Dawes seems to get his subject of the week anyway...
ROFL Yup.

Taco John
12-18-2004, 03:43 AM
Is it just me, or does Titus = Dawes?

ChiefsFire
12-18-2004, 09:27 AM
wow
even snuck in a jab at the sportsradio world in paragraph two nice

cash1000
12-18-2004, 09:55 AM
Since Carl came here with a con game ("we're going to the Superbowl) in mind its no wonder after being able to pimp this town he has no respect for Chiefs fans after making a fortune off of them on a bogus promise of a Superbowl. What do yall expect, hustlers don't repesct their victims that' just the nature of the game.

memyselfI
12-18-2004, 09:55 AM
The fact that Dufus Rawes is still a functioning part of the M.O. of the KC Chiefs/KC Chiefs.com is exhibit "A" in how the front office there is all about public relations and not about giving the fans a SB.

I mean, how many other teams in the league, especially the ones who've been to a SB, feature a front office fixture using a fake name and identity to argue their positions and be an apologist for many of their decisions?

Are there ANY others?

KevB
12-18-2004, 11:10 AM
Dawes is right. The fans had no right to question why a first round pick hasn't even dressed in 75% of the games since he's been drafted. It's completely logical....doesn't every 1st round pick sit for at least two years anymore? And who cares that he seems to dislike his HC and OC and doesn't give a second thought to expressing it to the world? That's completely healthy for the team.

I respect that LJ feels the need to look out for #1, I don't blame him. But does he not realize that individual success is related to team success? His unabashed selfishness will come back to bite him at some point.

TEX
12-18-2004, 11:26 AM

"It’s all the rage on the local radio talk show circuit. Of course these are the same people who told us Marty Schottenheimer couldn’t coach, brought bad guys to Kansas City and now credit him for everything the team achieved in the decade of the 90s because the team he leads now is winning. They’re also the same people who only a month ago said Johnson was a bust like every draft pick taken by this team. They’re the same people who said that Warren Sapp was the answer to the Chiefs’ defensive ills. They’re the people who fire head coaches every week, pat themselves on the back, and then can’t come up with a single name on who might replace them. The more they run their mouths the more they’re exposed."

Im wondering if any of those same people were FUGGIN OUTRAGED that the CHIEFS re-signed ALL thier _efensive SCRUBS and voiced their opinions? Now what about those folks who are still running their mouths about that and the fact that our # 1 draft pick two years ago (A RB mind you NOT a defensive player) was sitting the bench? If you ask me, they look pretty LEGIT to me while you on the other hand, Mr. DAWES, become more exposed as the blind puppet tard you are, the more you open your mouth. :hmmm:

Michael Michigan
12-18-2004, 11:29 AM
The fact that Dufus Rawes is still a functioning part of the M.O. of the KC Chiefs/KC Chiefs.com is exhibit "A" in how the front office there is all about public relations and not about giving the fans a SB.

I mean, how many other teams in the league, especially the ones who've been to a SB, feature a front office fixture using a fake name and identity to argue their positions and be an apologist for many of their decisions?

Are there ANY others?

Hard to argue that.

And no--I don't think there are any other NFL teams that have a writer use a pen name to run interference.

The amazing thing is that KC is not exactly a hardcore media market (I.E. Philly, New York, etc.) and they still feel the need.

Calcountry
12-18-2004, 11:54 AM
Was he talking about Chiefs Planet?
If he was, fug him.

DanT
12-18-2004, 01:27 PM
Hard to argue that.

And no--I don't think there are any other NFL teams that have a writer use a pen name to run interference.

The amazing thing is that KC is not exactly a hardcore media market (I.E. Philly, New York, etc.) and they still feel the need.

Exactly. How pitiful is that!?

Mr. Laz
12-18-2004, 01:42 PM
I don’t know if Larry Johnson gets along with his coaches or anybody else and I don’t care. None of us should
don't tell me what to care about you arrogant piece of crap :cuss:

i think team chemistry is a viable concern for a fan

Ultra Peanut
12-18-2004, 02:00 PM
I agree with the article. It just hits a little too close to home for some planeteers, since that's where Dawes seems to get his subject of the week anyway...Indeed.

Logical
12-18-2004, 03:12 PM
Rausch,

I am going to go back to the thing I called this article on:
You want to know what the problem with the Chiefs is? It’s not Larry Johnson or whether or not he can play, or if he makes nice with his locker room neighbor. It’s that the team is 5-8. Winning cures everything.
So you believe the only thing wrong with the Chiefs is that they are not winning?

You don't believe it has something to do with horrible defensive players?

You don't believe it has something to do with drafting a RB in the first round when you have a pro bowl RB and horrible defensive players?

You don't believe it has something to do with drafting a project player (Siavii) that might have a significant contribution in 2 to 3 years according to DV as your first pick of the 2005 draft?

You do not believe it has something to do with Carl f*cking up almost every 2nd round pick he has ever made?

You do not think it has something to do with not winning a playoff game in a decade?

You do not think it has something to do with only being in the playoffs for a 1 and done 6 out of the last 7 years?

Finally you do not think it has something do with our lousy front office performance?

It is really only that the Chiefs are losing this year?

gblowfish
12-18-2004, 09:02 PM
The fact that Dufus Rawes is still a functioning part of the M.O. of the KC Chiefs/KC Chiefs.com is exhibit "A" in how the front office there is all about public relations and not about giving the fans a SB.I mean, how many other teams in the league, especially the ones who've been to a SB, feature a front office fixture using a fake name and identity to argue their positions and be an apologist for many of their decisions?

Are there ANY others?Bingo. Bravo. Nail on head.
I thought they were going to stick Rufus back in the closet? The night cleanup crew must have let him get back to his keyboard. Does this mean Rufus has outed himself??? Inquiring minds want to know...

go bo
12-18-2004, 09:24 PM
Rausch,

I am going to go back to the thing I called this article on:

So you believe the only thing wrong with the Chiefs is that they are not winning?

You don't believe it has something to do with horrible defensive players?

You don't believe it has something to do with drafting a RB in the first round when you have a pro bowl RB and horrible defensive players?

You don't believe it has something to do with drafting a project player (Siavii) that might have a significant contribution in 2 to 3 years according to DV as your first pick of the 2005 draft?

You do not believe it has something to do with Carl f*cking up almost every 2nd round pick he has ever made?

You do not think it has something to do with not winning a playoff game in a decade?

You do not think it has something to do with only being in the playoffs for a 1 and done 6 out of the last 7 years?

Finally you do not think it has something do with our lousy front office performance?

It is really only that the Chiefs are losing this year?i am surprised that you are being so generous...

describing our defense as only horrible is very charitable... :( :( :(

memyselfI
12-19-2004, 09:06 AM
Bingo. Bravo. Nail on head.
I thought they were going to stick Rufus back in the closet? The night cleanup crew must have let him get back to his keyboard. Does this mean Rufus has outed himself??? Inquiring minds want to know...

Perhaps the fans should put the front office to the test and petition to have ole Dufus retired...

after all, other than be apologist for King Carl and the Chiefs what purpose has he served besides insult the fans on a number of different occasions.

Yeah, the Chiefs pulled ole Dufus' article about them but what a slap in the face that the guy still exists on Chiefs.com. He's a facade, much like Peterson's tenure here.