PDA

View Full Version : Any Lettuce Experts?

Donger
12-19-2004, 09:42 PM
So, I've been eating more salads these days. I buy those pre-washed, salad-in-a-bag deals. However, I've noticed that after about two days of the bag being opened (and then sealed very tightly), some of the lettuce gets some reddish crap growing on it.

What is this reddish crap and is it harmful? I've been throwing the lettuce anway once I detect the slightest hint of the reddish stuff, but I won't if it isn't harmful.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Donger
12-19-2004, 09:43 PM
Yeah.

Could a mod move this to the main forum please?

Rain Man
12-19-2004, 09:44 PM
Eat it once and see if you die. If not, it's probably safe to eat.

Donger
12-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Eat it once and see if you die. If not, it's probably safe to eat.

Well, the reason I ask is that in nature, red is typically a color of warning.

If it were yellow or a nice lavender, I'd have no concern.

KCWolfman
12-19-2004, 10:31 PM
I wouldn't buy any lettuce that has sumac as an ingredient.

Fat Elvis
12-19-2004, 10:48 PM
It won't hurt you, but I'd get some baby spinach as it tastes much better and is a lot more nutritious for you. One thing you can do to make it last longer is to put it in a freezer bag and squeeze the air out when you seal the bag to put back in the fridge.

the Talking Can
12-19-2004, 11:00 PM
real lettuce is cheaper and better

Rausch
12-19-2004, 11:05 PM
I think that's just mexican redhair lettuce...

Valiant
12-19-2004, 11:32 PM
It wont hurt you, it is just old lettuce been sitting in the grocery stores for days and then gets warm before it gets into your frige...

best salad..

Fresh lettuce
mexican blend cheese
cucumbers
diced carrots
diced eggs
ranch

Frosty
12-20-2004, 09:55 AM
If it's turning red, that's just oxidation (rust) and isn't a problem. If something red is growing on it, that's some kind of fungus and I wouldn't eat it.

If you squeeze as much air out of the bag as possible, it will last for a day or two longer. To make it last a lot longer, take a large tupperware container, put a couple of paper towels in the bottom, dump the salad mix into the container, put the lid on LOOSELY (do not seal) and put it into the fridge. Usually lasts about a week that way, though it depends how fresh the salad was before.

Iceberg lettuce is almost completely nutritionally void. It's basically water and a little fiber. If you actually want vitamins and phytochemicals, get red lettuce, leaf lettuce, romaine, spinach, etc.

chiefs4me
12-20-2004, 10:29 AM
It wont hurt you, it is just old lettuce been sitting in the grocery stores for days and then gets warm before it gets into your frige...

best salad..

Fresh lettuce
mexican blend cheese
cucumbers
diced carrots
diced eggs
ranch

and don't forget the crutons, tomatos, and bacon bits,,,,,,

Brando
12-20-2004, 10:40 AM
I think that's just mexican redhair lettuce...
ROFL

Hoover
12-20-2004, 10:52 AM
Switch to a Spinich Salad and you don't have that problem