PDA

View Full Version : A formal discusion about CB William Bartee......

Kylo Ren
12-20-2004, 09:53 AM
Is Bartee just a total waste of skin? Is he totally worthless? Does he need to be cut outright?

Or can the guy be converted to a safety? I've often wondered if he could put on a few pounds and become and OLB. IMHO it seems that Bartee is pretty good at stuffing the run. He seems to be a heavy hitter sometimes too.

Is there a use for this guy in the NFL or on with Chiefs? Or should he just go home as a total, washed up loser?

Discuss........:hmmm:

Mark M
12-20-2004, 10:02 AM
Is Bartee just a total waste of skin?
Yes
Is he totally worthless?
Yes
Does he need to be cut outright?
Yes
Or can the guy be converted to a safety?
No
Is there a use for this guy in the NFL or on with Chiefs?
If "tackling dummy" is a use, then yes. Otherwise, no.
Or should he just go home as a total, washed up loser?
Yes ... and then you two can hang out together.

MM
~~:spank:

gblowfish
12-20-2004, 10:08 AM
He's a speed bump.

Bartee = OVEN.

Rain Man
12-20-2004, 10:10 AM
This was brought up on another thread, but it drives me nuts that Bartee will stop running in the middle of a play if he thinks someone else is going to make the tackle. It makes me want to throw something.

Phobia
12-20-2004, 10:12 AM
I never want to see him on the field with a QuarterBack - any quarterback. But, as long as a QB isn't involved in the play, I really don't have a problem with Bartee's abilities.

Chan93lx50
12-20-2004, 10:12 AM
They have two games to find out, I dont want to see them testing out this theory next season!

Frankie
12-20-2004, 10:14 AM
I actually wouldn't mind the experiment of (re)converting him to safety. For ONE training camp, and the first 3 games of the season. By the 4th game of the next season, if he is not at least a good backup safety, cut his behind and sign someone with talent and potential.

Bwana
12-20-2004, 10:15 AM
Greyhound............. Ba-Bye.

MichaelH
12-20-2004, 10:21 AM
I actually wouldn't mind the experiment of (re)converting him to safety. For ONE training camp, and the first 3 games of the season. By the 4th game of the next season, if he is not at least a good backup safety, cut his behind and sign someone with talent and potential.

That would be a failed attempt and wasted roster space. He's been given too many chances in my opinion. Now if he was to go to another AFC West team, I'd be all for it. :thumb:

RINGLEADER
12-20-2004, 10:26 AM
Bartee just can't play. He couldn't play two seasons ago. He couldn't play last season. And he can't play this season.

But, according to Carl Peterson, we're going to change the scheme to compliment his talents...er, that is overcome his lack of talent.

Kylo Ren
12-20-2004, 10:39 AM
Now that there have been several to chime in, I'll give my two cents. I say he should be cut tomorrow!!

bricks
12-20-2004, 11:05 AM
Gunther fan,

Here's my opinion of Bartee:

5 years in the NFL and still trying to develop into a corner, but, still can't play the position. Patience can only last so long my friend. He should be cut.

*But, this officially does it for me:

5 years in the NFL, William Bartee=zero interceptions=He sucks

Chief Faithful
12-22-2004, 01:21 PM
If experimenting is desired do it with Battle. Time to cut Bartee and this comes from one of his past defenders, me. After 5 years Bartee should not be having the poor type of performances he has shown the last 3 games.

First Freeman and now Bartee with Kawika following fast. I'm hoping Saivii breaks the streak of 2nd round draft pick busts.

Deberg_1990
12-22-2004, 01:27 PM
His time with the Chiefs has come and gone. If by some miracle he happens to ever become a compentant NFL CB, it WILL NOT be with the Chiefs.

ChiefN1
12-22-2004, 01:30 PM
If the guy can't play corner ( pretty much agreed by all) HTF! is he gonna play safety? The safety position is a much more complicated position and requires more than just the skills of a CB....the guy has no skills and no motivation to play better, all of that aside from the lack of character to finish a play let alone an entire game.

Get rid of him plain and simple.

RDB

Spicy McHaggis
12-22-2004, 01:30 PM
I know if we cut Bartee he'll go somewhere and be a stud. At this point though I don't care. When a converted wide reciever gets picks before you, well find a new job.

morphius
12-22-2004, 01:57 PM
I don't understand why we haven't converted him back to safety. The guy just isn't a cover corner, but he normally makes pretty solid tackles.

ChiefN1 - Safety is completely different, you are not one on one and you get to look at the QB.

All that being said, I have no issue with them cutting him at all.

LiL stumppy
12-22-2004, 02:16 PM
We need to convert him to a safty.I belive he could be a great Safty givin time.

JakeT
12-22-2004, 03:06 PM
Everyone rips on Bartee to no end but lets face it the guy has great athletic ability. On most pass routes he is there pretty much step for step with receiver, he just has absolutely no idea where the ball is and has no ability to read the reciever to determine when the ball is getting there.

His experiment with corner should end, but we should try him out at safety. See what he can do. A safety relies on completely different reads than a corner. What do we have to lose?

Mr. Kotter
12-22-2004, 03:36 PM
Everyone rips on Bartee to no end but lets face it the guy has great athletic ability. On most pass routes he is there pretty much step for step with receiver, he just has absolutely no idea where the ball is and has no ability to read the reciever to determine when the ball is getting there.

His experiment with corner should end, but we should try him out at safety. See what he can do. A safety relies on completely different reads than a corner. What do we have to lose?

That's the only way he survives on the squad next year. Otherwise, he is gone... :banghead:

booger
12-22-2004, 03:41 PM
All i know is I would feel more compfortable if this was an informal discussion.

Lzen
12-22-2004, 04:12 PM
He needs to be cut immediately if not sooner. Frankly, I was in his corner(no pun intended) earlier this season. I thought that he had finally turned the corner(again, no pun) and was starting to become a serviceable CB. But since that first start against Atlanta, Bartee had gone downhill. I've run out of patience with him.

And for those of you that think he could be converted to safety, think about this. Gunther's scheme does a lot of blitzing. And that requires the safeties to play one on one with receivers(if they aren't the blitzer). So even at safety, Bartee would end up matched up one on one with receivers. :shake:

CHIEF4EVER
12-22-2004, 04:21 PM
The only test Bartee should get is to test the theory that Gunthers size 11 will indeed fit up his azz if enough force is applied. He has had all the chances in the world and he has proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that he is no Champ Bailey. Wait a minute.....they BOTH bear a striking resemblance to overcooked toast on game day.

Frankie
12-22-2004, 05:14 PM

Good observation/point.

Frankie
12-22-2004, 05:17 PM
The only test Bartee should get is to test the theory that Gunthers size 11 will indeed fit up his azz if enough force is applied. He has had all the chances in the world and he has proven beyond the shadow of a doubt that he is no Champ Bailey. Wait a minute.....they BOTH bear a striking resemblance to overcooked toast on game day.

ROFL

Skip Towne
12-22-2004, 05:25 PM
Let's keep him around. I like watching him crash into receivers after allowing them a 30 yd. reception.

Alphaman
12-22-2004, 10:36 PM
I say give him the offseason, OTAs and training camp to make the transition back to safety and let him compete for a safety spot.

We will do better on the cap by cutting him after June 1st, so we might as well use that time to see if he can live up to his athletic ability. If he can't win a spot as a safety, then cut him. By taking this course of action, we've saved some money against the cap, exhausted all the possibilities with this player and have lost nothing.

BTW, I'd also get a new secondary coach.