PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs 1st Round Defensive Draft Picks Since 89

Hoover
12-20-2004, 02:32 PM
No wonder we suck on Defense, we don't invest our draft picks in defense.

Out of the 16 years (13 times we picked in the 1st round), we have only used our first round pick on defense 5 times. out of those 5 times, 2 of them were in 89 and 90.

1989 - DT
1990 - Percy Snow
1992 - Dale Carter
1996 - Jerome Woods
2002 - Ryan Sims

Ever since DV has came to town when we draft defensive player the focus has been on Defensive Tackels, somethign that has also hurt the defense by over investing in just one position.

We need a committment to this defense, by drafting defensive players that are not Defensive tackels in the first round this year, and next year for sure.

We need to go CB, LB, or DE this year in the first round.

JimNasium
12-20-2004, 02:59 PM
Just to play devil's advocate for a second but during the late '90s our offense was the side of the ball that was lacking so I would expect that we would spend first rounders on that side of the ball.

Hoover
12-20-2004, 03:05 PM
I gues my over all point would be you have to show some balance when drafting players in the first round. The Draft should be used to invest youth and talent to parts of your team.

beavis
12-20-2004, 03:30 PM
Just to play devil's advocate for a second but during the late '90s our offense was the side of the ball that was lacking so I would expect that we would spend first rounders on that side of the ball.
You're right. It would be foolish for them to take defense when their obvious need is offense. I mean, you wouldn't expect them to take a running back or tight end in the early rounds this year would you?

Errrrr, dammit. :banghead:

Deberg_1990
12-20-2004, 05:57 PM
Vermeil has taken alot of defensive tackles because everything i have heard is that when you start to build a defense you start "Up the middle" Defensive Tackle, MLB and safties. I think we are ok now in 1 out of 3 of those positions but the other 2 need some serious work.

nascher
12-20-2004, 06:08 PM
My 2 cents

QB first Round by King Carl *g

Iowanian
12-20-2004, 06:25 PM
What round was Neil Smith Taken?

Deberg_1990
12-20-2004, 06:26 PM
What round was Neil Smith Taken?

1st 1988

Iowanian
12-20-2004, 06:27 PM
Thats what I thought, but I guess the thread does indicate 1989 was the line.....

I can't see anthing but Defense being drafted in the first 2 rounds this year.

Deberg_1990
12-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Thats what I thought, but I guess the thread does indicate 1989 was the line.....

I can't see anthing but Defense being drafted in the first 2 rounds this year.

Yea, i guess the thread starter was only concerned with Carl's drafts???? Im assuming since he started with 1989?

Hoover
12-20-2004, 07:05 PM
I was going to just go back 10 years, but thought I'd do back to when we Drafted DT

Sure-Oz
12-20-2004, 07:28 PM
LB's and Corners, I was glad to see our safety play a little better yesterday and seeing Wesley not give up. I am glad Woods is not out there anymore.

Deberg_1990
12-20-2004, 07:35 PM
LB's and Corners, I was glad to see our safety play a little better yesterday and seeing Wesley not give up. I am glad Woods is not out there anymore.

Is is just a coincedence that our Safety play appears to be a little better since Woods went down??? Hmmmmmm

ltlchfinD
12-20-2004, 07:41 PM
wasn't Woods a 2nd rounder?

Herzig
12-20-2004, 07:57 PM
No wonder we suck on Defense, we don't invest our draft picks in defense.

Out of the 16 years (13 times we picked in the 1st round), we have only used our first round pick on defense 5 times. out of those 5 times, 2 of them were in 89 and 90.

1989 - DT
1990 - Percy Snow
1992 - Dale Carter
1996 - Jerome Woods
2002 - Ryan Sims

Ever since DV has came to town when we draft defensive player the focus has been on Defensive Tackels, somethign that has also hurt the defense by over investing in just one position.

We need a committment to this defense, by drafting defensive players that are not Defensive tackels in the first round this year, and next year for sure.

We need to go CB, LB, or DE this year in the first round.

Nice post Hoov...kinda puts things in perspective doesn't it? Pretty much a no-brainer why our Defense sucks so much ass.

Herzig
12-20-2004, 07:57 PM
wasn't Woods a 2nd rounder?

No.

2bikemike
12-20-2004, 09:36 PM
IMHO I do not necessarily subscribe to Hoover point of view. I believe you draft for need and if that need is not there then you go with best available athlete. (No fugging reaching) You have to develop your draft picks. There are more stars in the league from the second round on then there are 1st rounders. You just have to develop what you get.

nychief
12-22-2004, 06:36 PM
oh Percy!

why did you drive that moped in training camp...http://www.sff.net/people/K-Mac/MSU/PSnow-Chiefs92WC.jpg

tk13
12-22-2004, 07:04 PM
Well, since DV got here, we've had 29 draft picks, 16 of those spent on defense and 13 spent on offense. In the last five seasons (since 2000), we have had 13 "first day" draft picks (1st-3rd round players picked on the first day of the draft).... out of those 13 picks, 9 of them have been on defensive players, 4 on offensive players.

The defense that'll start this Sunday will likely have 8 of 11 starters who we've drafted (Sims, Allen, Beisel, Mitchell, Fujita, Warfield, Harts, and Wesley). Out of the 24-25 guys on the defensive depth chart, only 5 of them weren't drafted by the Chiefs (Holliday, Dalton, F. Jones, Caver, and McCleon). Obviously Barber's on IR and could be added to that list. Eric Hicks, Benny Sapp, Rich Scanlon, and Scott Connott are undrafted rookies... I'm not sure how they count but I guess you could essentially count them as draft picks. I don't know what it all means, but there are your numbers to discuss....

nychief
12-22-2004, 07:09 PM
Well, since DV got here, we've had 29 draft picks, 16 of those spent on defense and 13 spent on offense. In the last five seasons (since 2000), we have had 13 "first day" draft picks (1st-3rd round players picked on the first day of the draft).... out of those 13 picks, 9 of them have been on defensive players, 4 on offensive players.

The defense that'll start this Sunday will likely have 9 of 11 starters who we've drafted (Hicks, Sims, Allen, Beisel, Mitchell, Fujita, Warfield, Harts, and Wesley). Out of the 24-25 guys on the defensive depth chart, only 5 of them weren't drafted by the Chiefs (Holliday, Dalton, F. Jones, Caver, and McCleon). Obviously Barber's on IR and could be added to that list. Benny Sapp, Rich Scanlon, and Scott Connott are undrafted rookies... I'm not sure how they count but I guess you could essentially count them as draft picks. I don't know what it all means, but there are your numbers to discuss....

HICKS was a undrafted free agent.

tk13
12-22-2004, 07:13 PM
I knew I'd screw somebody up, oh well, I fixed it.

Skip Towne
12-22-2004, 07:15 PM
I can see why.

whoman69
12-22-2004, 07:37 PM
IMHO I do not necessarily subscribe to Hoover point of view. I believe you draft for need and if that need is not there then you go with best available athlete. (No fugging reaching) You have to develop your draft picks. There are more stars in the league from the second round on then there are 1st rounders. You just have to develop what you get.
Then you need to get Carl out of the equation because we have been doing nothing but reaching for the last five years.

chiefs1111
12-22-2004, 11:30 PM
well i think it depends on what we do if FA first. I mean if they sign a few good fAs then i think they cant get a WR with the 1st round pick, either williams from USC or Edwards from MICH,but thats only if they do anything in FA. The only reason for needing a WR is that Morton and Kennison are a little on the older side and niether is always consistant. We need to start on the D-line and look at another end to compliment Jared Allen who i think will be great. Vonnie Holliday has been a bust i think since hes been here other than his first game last year when he had 3 sacks vd SD. We def need another CB ,maybe 2 im still not all that settled on Eric Warfield. We also need a good LB, maybe Brooks from Virginia in the draft, im not really sure whos out there in FA. The only position im not sure about on defense is tackle. Ryan Sims to be hasnt lived up fully to his potential yet, i mean to me hell play alright for a game or two and then i dont see him do much for a while. One last thing we need to look at a bit is drafting a qb for the furture. Green is 34 and wont play to much longer i wouldnt think,and todd collins also isnt young and is def no starting qb so i think we will look at a young qb in the 3 or 4th round to. just my thoughts, merry christmas