PDA

View Full Version : Boss, Beltran to meet

VonneMarie
12-20-2004, 10:43 PM
NEW YORK -- Don't expect to see "Carlos-palooza" touring the country anytime soon, but Carlos Beltran is set to meet with George Steinbrenner in Tampa on Tuesday.

Beltran, the top free agent in this year's class, has received just one official offer from the Astros, which is reportedly five years and worth $70 million.

The Yankees aren't expected to make an offer on Tuesday, instead just giving Beltran an opportunity to meet with the owner and ask any questions he may have about playing in New York. Beltran will be accompanied by his agent, Scott Boras.

"When George Steinbrenner wants to go out and get somebody, he's pretty determined to do it," said Yankees manager Joe Torre. "Any club that gets Beltran will be improved, for sure."

Several teams are interested in the 27-year-old center fielder, but the Astros, Yankees and Cubs are believed to be the frontrunners. Chicago would love to snatch the five-tool player away from division-rival Houston, but the Yankees seem intent on making themselves players in the Beltran sweepstakes.

Beltran hit .267 with 38 home runs, 104 RBIs and 42 stolen bases in the regular season for Kansas City and Houston, but he really grabbed the spotlight in the postseason, batting .435 with eight homers and 14 RBIs in 12 playoff games for the Astros.

hot stove 2004
Complete coverage >

"When the Boss gets talking, it gets serious and you get excited," Torre said. "Beltran, if people didn't know who he was, the postseason really called everybody's attention to him. He's really special."

"He's one of the best players in the game. But I'm not the owner," said Derek Jeter. "It's pretty interesting. I've said it time and time again, but it seems like we're always going to get everyone. I don't pay much attention to rumors, I just show up to Spring Training and see who we have."

Torre hasn't placed any recruiting calls to Beltran, but he said that he would do so if the team asked him to. Should Beltran land in New York, he would move into the center field spot occupied by Bernie Williams since 1993.

Williams watched the Yankees sign Kenny Lofton last winter, only to fight him off for the majority of the playing time in center. It won't be quite as simple for Williams if the Yankees sign Beltran, but Torre believes that the veteran will do whatever the team asks of him.

"I see Bernie from time to time, and he knows what's going on. He's been asked about it," Torre said. "If we sign [Beltran], we'll sit and talk. Bernie's always been of the mind that there will be a spot for him. If we get a guy like Beltran, he's going to play center field."

Mark Feinsand is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Oh well... :deevee: :deevee: :deevee:

MLB.com.

Frazod
12-20-2004, 10:46 PM
The Cubs are desperately trying to dump Sosa so they can make a run at Beltran.

I'd rather see him in New York.