PDA

View Full Version : How can we not be elininated? If Jax finished 8-8

Red Dawg
12-21-2004, 08:47 AM
and we also did they get the nod for Head to head victory. Jets have the other spot. How are we not done?

KcMizzou
12-21-2004, 08:49 AM
I wanna say conference record is the first tie breaker. If not... divisional.

ptlyon
12-21-2004, 08:51 AM
The Chiefs, and this may be hard to believe, have yet to be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs with just two games left.

While the Jets have all but secured one wild-card spot at 10-4, there are four 8-6 teams (Buffalo, Baltimore, Denver and Jacksonville) who could, in theory, all lose out. And if the 6-8 Chiefs won out, they'd be the final wild-card team.

Here's how it would break down: The first multiteam tie breaker is to establish the top seeded team in the division. And in this case, the Chiefs and Denver split head-to-head, but the Chiefs would move ahead of Denver based on a better division mark (4-2 to 3-3).

That would leave Buffalo, Baltimore, Jacksonville and the Chiefs. The first tie breaker in this case would be head-to-head. But none of these teams has played each of the others. The next tie breaker in this scenario, because the teams are all in separate divisions, is conference games.

The Chiefs would have a 7-5 conference mark, better than any of the others.

Bob Dole
12-21-2004, 08:52 AM
Here we go again...

There's a topic a whole 16 slots below this one that is entitled "Flanagan - Chiefs not eliminated from playoffs!" that explains the entire scenario.

Maybe you should try reading it instead of spamming the forum with new topics.

Eleazar
12-21-2004, 08:56 AM
The tiebreaking procedures can easily be found on ESPN.com or any other sports news website. (Not to mention in the 10 other threads on this topic in the past couple of days)

But... better create a new thread about it...

bobbything
12-21-2004, 08:58 AM
Jacksonville lost to Indy and Tennessee, two team which KC beat. So, if Baltimore, Jacksonville, Buffalo, Denver, and KC finish 8-8, KC has more wins vs common opponents (I think).

It's screwy but it's still possible (although not probable). Basically, root for Jax, Buffalo, and Denver to lose out, and Baltimore to lose one of the next two. If that happens, and KC wins out, we're in.

But...

Jax plays Oakland (Jax should win)
Den plays Tenn (Den, as bad as they are right now, shouldn't lose)
Buf plays SF (game, set, match)

bobbything
12-21-2004, 08:59 AM
Maybe you should try reading it instead of spamming the forum with new topics.
It's kind of difficult when a new thread pops up every 30 seconds. Maybe a mod should lock it up.

nmt1
12-21-2004, 09:27 AM
That would leave Buffalo, Baltimore, Jacksonville and the Chiefs. The first tie breaker in this case would be head-to-head. But none of these teams has played each of the others. The next tie breaker in this scenario, because the teams are all in separate divisions, is conference games.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but this seems to be incorrect. The Chiefs did play Jacksonville this year and lost. Assuming both were to end up 8-8 we would be out due to that loss.

Phobia
12-21-2004, 09:30 AM
Maybe I'm reading it wrong but this seems to be incorrect. The Chiefs did play Jacksonville this year and lost. Assuming both were to end up 8-8 we would be out due to that loss.

If 4 teams are tied, but only 2 of them have played one another, how can you apply that criteria to a small portion of your group? That portion is ignored and they move on to the next tiebreaker.

Saulbadguy
12-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Houston would have to beat Jacksonville, and then lose one IIRC. They would have to lose to Cleveland, at home. Not gonna happen.

ROYC75
12-21-2004, 09:39 AM
Allof this isn't worth discussing....... Really. It's not going to happen and if it did, do we want to be embarrased in the playoffs again ?

Eleazar
12-21-2004, 09:40 AM
Houston would have to beat Jacksonville, and then lose one IIRC. They would have to lose to Cleveland, at home. Not gonna happen.

Miami wasn't going to beat New England either...

Gaz
12-21-2004, 09:43 AM
Allof this isn't worth discussing....... Really. It's not going to happen and if it did, do we want to be embarrased in the playoffs again ?

An extra Chiefs game is a good thing.

Period.

xoxo~
Gaz
Perhaps he did not properly understand the question.

Eleazar
12-21-2004, 09:46 AM

So you don't want your team in the playoffs because we're supposedly just going to get embarassed?

Anything can happen. But I guess we may as well not even try.

How weak... you sure you're a chiefs fan? :shake:

Rain Man
12-21-2004, 09:46 AM
Miami wasn't going to beat New England either...

The little guys are starting to fight back, seeing an opportunity to help their friends the Kansas City Chiefs.

I'm still hoping that we fly our team to the 49ers game and steal their uniforms.

Phobia
12-21-2004, 09:48 AM
So you don't want your team in the playoffs because we're supposedly just going to get embarassed?

Yeah, he's not. I know it for a fact. He's a fake Chiefs fan. A real Chiefs fan would at least drive to KC once for a game. A real fan would spend some of his time talking about the Chiefs online. A real fan would volunteer his time for a Chiefs related charity.

Don't be a dipshit, Cochise.

Eleazar
12-21-2004, 09:51 AM
Yeah, he's not. I know it for a fact. He's a fake Chiefs fan. A real Chiefs fan would at least drive to KC once for a game. A real fan would spend some of his time talking about the Chiefs online. A real fan would volunteer his time for a Chiefs related charity.

Don't be a dipshit, Cochise.

I was using a common board cliche in a fecetious manner.

But still, why wouldn't you want your team to make the playoffs? Doesn't make any sense.

ROYC75
12-21-2004, 09:52 AM

Oh my, now my opinion is degrading my love for the team ? :shake:

Bearcat
12-21-2004, 09:53 AM

None of the teams has played all of the others.

Sure it's worth it.... they can then raise ticket prices since we would be a playoff team ROFL

Really though.... beating the Colts for the second time this year would obviously be a huge challenge, but with it would be better than watching them vs anyone else. The expectations were lowered in September..... it's not like we would go into the playoffs with high hopes. Might be entertaining to see what we could do as the underdog.

ROYC75
12-21-2004, 09:58 AM
IMHO, This is Indy's year and going to Indy would be next to impossible to beat in the playoffs.

BTA, It is my opinion and I have been wrong before.

ENDelt260
12-21-2004, 10:01 AM
Allof this isn't worth discussing....... Really. It's not going to happen

Exactly. Let's focus on some realistic topics. Like Scanlon starting at MLB.

Eleazar
12-21-2004, 10:02 AM
Miami just took out New England last night.

The Bills were 0-4 and have now won 8 out of 10 and 5 games in a row.

The Chiefs beat the Colts once already this year.

Why not us?

I mean, the Red Sox didn't decide last year when they were down 3 games to none to the Yankees, "ah, screw it, we're just going to lose anyway".

I hope our players don't have the same attitude...

Bearcat
12-21-2004, 10:13 AM
IMHO, This is Indy's year and going to Indy would be next to impossible to beat in the playoffs.

BTA, It is my opinion and I have been wrong before.

Ah, the destiny angle... it was popular around here last year at this time, right after we had lost to Minnesota. None of it mattered, because it was our year :banghead:

Of course, up until a couple of days ago, this was Philadelphia's year :shrug:

ROYC75
12-21-2004, 10:16 AM

:shake: You try'n to stir up the crowd ?

As for KC playing Indy in Indy for a playoff game, I really don't think we have a chance.

For DV and CP to use this magical run back into the playoffs could alter who we might get in FA and maybe not tweak the D as much ?

I always want my team to do well, but this year it just isn't happening like we all want it to.

Eleazar
12-21-2004, 10:20 AM
As for KC playing Indy in Indy for a playoff game, I really don't think we have a chance.

Man, we already beat Indy this year. How much more proof do you need?

Phobia
12-21-2004, 10:20 AM
I was using a common board cliche in a fecetious manner.

But still, why wouldn't you want your team to make the playoffs? Doesn't make any sense.

Oh. Sorry. I thought for a moment that I was the only one who could be sarcastic. Would some humble rep make up for the "dipshit" comment?

ENDelt260
12-21-2004, 10:22 AM
Would some humble rep make up for the "dipshit" comment?

No.

You dipshit.

ROYC75
12-21-2004, 10:25 AM
Man, we already beat Indy this year. How much more proof do you need?

I think we can play them close, but to win in Indy is a tall hill to climb. I don't see enough good signs of this defense to stop Indy in Indy.

Again, it is my opinion.

Eleazar
12-21-2004, 10:31 AM
Oh. Sorry. I thought for a moment that I was the only one who could be sarcastic. Would some humble rep make up for the "dipshit" comment?

Don't worry about it, not nearly the first time I have been called that and it won't be the last :p

Eleazar
12-21-2004, 10:35 AM
I think we can play them close, but to win in Indy is a tall hill to climb. I don't see enough good signs of this defense to stop Indy in Indy.

Again, it is my opinion.

It would definitely be no picnic, but that doesn't mean I don't want us to get another shot at them.

You don't know how backing into the playoffs would affect the team. Maybe they would have the same attitude as you express here.

Or, maybe they would see it as a chance to redeem a season that should have gone another way. Maybe they will go in there feeling like they have something to prove. Maybe the media will run them down all week saying they don't belong in the playoffs and they will want to show everyone that they do.

It wouldn't surprise me if we went to Indy and got hammered, but it wouldn't surprise me if we beat them, either.

alanm
12-21-2004, 10:45 AM

BTA, It is my opinion and I have been wrong before.Indy won't get past Pittsburg.

Raiderhater
12-21-2004, 10:51 AM

Again, it is my opinion.

Many believed we could not win in Baltimore this year (despite doing so last year) on Monday Night. Vick was supposed to have run all over our shitty defense.

This team is not as bad as they have looked. There have been a lot of instances when they have not executed well to be sure, but even when they have there have been freak things happen (Dante's fumble against SD for example). The ball just has not bounced our way for the majority of the season. If we win out and complete a five game winning streak to rebuild confidence and composure, yeah, we could certainly beat Indy in Indy.

I'm not getting my hopes too high at the moment though, because a lot has to happen before we are even in the post season.

ENDelt260
12-21-2004, 10:56 AM

ROFL

Eleazar
12-21-2004, 10:57 AM
ROFL

ROFL

ptlyon
12-21-2004, 11:00 AM
It makes you wonder what could have happened if we didn't throw away the Carolina, Texas, and New Orleans games.

But in either case, this defense won't take us too far in the playoffs.

ROYC75
12-21-2004, 11:16 AM
It makes you wonder what could have happened if we didn't throw away the Carolina, Texas, and New Orleans games.

Tampa , Jax., SD @ home .....

No doubt we screwed ourselves this year.

ROYC75
12-21-2004, 11:21 AM
ROFL

I expected you to find it funny .

Your comment had nothing to do with the thread and was intended to slam me about my opinion.

Bob Dole
12-21-2004, 11:22 AM

Bob Dole still contends that Houston should not have been credited with that win.

Bob Dole
12-21-2004, 11:23 AM

Your comment had nothing to do with the thread and was intended to slam me about my opinion.

Did you not read the memo?

All threads are about Scanlon.

ENDelt260
12-21-2004, 11:24 AM

Indeed.

Your opinion that you get to pick and choose which unlikely scenarios are worthy of discussion.

Chief Henry
12-21-2004, 12:42 PM
Don't worry about it, not nearly the first time I have been called that and it won't be the last :p

Hey dips&it........I couldn't resist :rolleyes:

|Zach|
12-21-2004, 01:59 PM
ROFL
Sweet, the good ol Roy stand by.

Telling people "everyone has their own opinions" while he rips on someone else for having one that does not agree with his.

crossbow
12-21-2004, 02:20 PM
First off, it's not likely that we would get to the playoffs. Secondly, if we did get to the Superbowl by some miracle - we would lose because Scanlin is not our middle linebacker. Third: It would screw up our draft position so we realy don't want that.

Gaz
12-21-2004, 02:23 PM
First off, it's not likely that we would get to the playoffs. Secondly, if we did win the Superbowl by some miracle - then we would screw up our draft position so we realy don't want that.

Okay, now THAT was funny.

xoxo~
Gaz
Short-time at work and easily amused.

istas
12-21-2004, 02:24 PM
We're still in it because we would have a better conference record than the other 8-8 teams, which would be the tie breaker used when 3 or more teams are tied for the wild card. Buffalo, Balt., Jax, and Denver need to lose both of their remaining games to go 5-7 in conference while KC must win both games to go 7-5 in conference.

The dark horse seems to be Houston. If they were to finish 8-8 then they would go 7-5 in conference but since the beat us head to head, which would be the next tie breaker, they would get the final playoff spot.

We'll know more after Sunday's games because on Sat. we're going to kick some Raider ass and the Donks are going down again.

ROYC75
12-21-2004, 02:51 PM
Jacksonville will win out, all of this is just a moot discussion.

Raiderhater
12-21-2004, 02:52 PM
First off, it's not likely that we would get to the playoffs. Secondly, if we did get to the Superbowl by some miracle - we would lose because Scanlin is not our middle linebacker. Third: It would screw up our draft position so we realy don't want that.

Any bets as to how many people would, after the initial ecstasy wore off, bring this point up? I shudder to think.

Raiderhater
12-21-2004, 02:54 PM
Any bets as to how many people would, after the initial ecstasy wore off, bring this point up? I shudder to think.

"Oh that's just great! We won the Super Bowl. Now we get to listen to Dick and Carl tell us how great this team is and we won't see any improvement on the defense."

ROFL

ptlyon
12-21-2004, 02:56 PM
Dude, it's not polite to quote your own posts.

Raiderhater
12-21-2004, 03:00 PM
Dude, it's not polite to quote your own posts.

I've never been accused of being polite.

ptlyon
12-21-2004, 03:01 PM
I've never been accused of being polite.

Well alrighty then!

Bob Dole
12-21-2004, 03:02 PM
Jacksonville will win out, all of this is just a moot discussion.

Well, then that settles it.

Someone call Rich Scanlon so he can lock this thread ASAP.