View Full Version : Should the Chiefs draft Thomas Davis (S) in the first?

Chiefnj
12-21-2004, 04:46 PM
Thomas Davis is apparently the best safety in college football this year who may enter the draft. In recent drafts taking the top safety seems like perhaps the safest move a team could make. In the last 3 years the following guys were the top safeties: 04 - Sean Taylor; 03- Polamalu, 02 - Willliams and Reed (later in the first).

If the Chiefs end up drafting in the 17-23 range would you take a safety to play safety?

JazzzLovr
12-21-2004, 04:47 PM
:eek: You can draft a safety to play SAFETY?

Dr. Johnny Fever
12-21-2004, 04:48 PM
I'll take the best remaining defensive player...if that's a safety then great....we need one..........or two.

jiveturkey
12-21-2004, 04:49 PM
I'm down.

ChiTown
12-21-2004, 04:50 PM
Depends

If they feel he's capable of playing right away, then damn right. If not, I'd rather draft a corner.

htismaqe
12-21-2004, 04:51 PM
If he plays like Taylor or Reed, I'd ABSOLUTELY take him.

If he plays like Troy Polamalu, well, get some rope...

jiveturkey
12-21-2004, 04:51 PM
Can we get some more info on the guy?

ChiTown
12-21-2004, 05:02 PM

6'1 220#'s from the U of Georgia

Walter Camp and AFCA 1st team AA.

He's a 2 year starter at FS for the Bulldogs.

Hammock Parties
12-21-2004, 05:09 PM
Yeah, a good young free safety would be awesome.

Deberg_1990
12-21-2004, 05:12 PM
I'll take the best remaining defensive player...if that's a safety then great....we need one..........or two.

What he said! We need impact players at just about every position on defense. We take the best available IMPACT defenseive guy left on the board. I dont care if its CB, Safety, Linebacker or Defensive end.

royr17
12-21-2004, 05:15 PM
Hey I agree im all for it. Does anybody have one of the Draft sites where i can get some inside info on this guy though ?

From some of the things I've heard he's the next Roy Williams at Safety.

tyton75
12-21-2004, 05:16 PM
What he said! We need impact players at just about every position on defense. We take the best available IMPACT defenseive guy left on the board. I dont care if its CB, Safety, Linebacker or Defensive end.
:clap:

what he said!!

HolmeZz
12-21-2004, 05:38 PM
I'd rather have Ernest Shazor. He's 100x the playmaker than Davis is, and probably could be taken in the second round, making it so we could use our 1st rounder on another defensive guy.

BigVE
12-21-2004, 05:48 PM
I dont see this guy being available after about the 15th pick or so. AND, I seriously doubt that our first pick will/should be a safety...Vermeil and Gunther both have said that they felt like our current bunch of safeties are just UNDER-achieving, a MAJOR understatement but its tells me that they feel like the "talent" is there but just needs something else...? PERSONALLY I would not mind this guy being a Chief but its so hard to predict who is going to be picked WHERE and by whom.

Skip Towne
12-21-2004, 05:54 PM
A safety in the 1st round? :shake:

HolmeZz
12-21-2004, 05:58 PM
A safety in the 1st round? :shake:

Roy Williams or Sean Taylor?

I wouldn't be totally against drafting a safety in the first round, but I think the safety class is fairly deep this year. Guys like Shazor, Nicholson, Poole, and Huff can be had in later rounds and IMO could turn out to be better pros than Davis, who I'm not very high on.

penchief
12-21-2004, 06:04 PM
Between two converted corners playing safety (Woods & Wesley) and two converted safeties playing corner (Warfield & Bartee), I'd say our depth at safety is pretty good considering our two best safeties lately have been Pile and Harts.

However, anyone that can earn and hold down a starting spot on this defense is welcome as far as I am concerned.

penchief
12-21-2004, 06:07 PM
Between two converted corners playing safety (Woods & Wesley) and two converted safeties playing corner (Warfield & Bartee), I'd say our depth at safety is pretty good considering our two best safeties lately have been Pile and Harts.

However, anyone that can earn and hold down a starting spot on this defense is welcome as far as I am concerned.

Oops, how can I forget our other 2nd round project? Our other safety converted to cornerback, Julian Battle.

We're seven deep at safety if we wanna' be.

Thig Lyfe
12-21-2004, 06:12 PM
Can he play corner?

HolmeZz
12-21-2004, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't be all that opposed to trading down and accumulating draft picks for this year and the '06 draft. This year's draft isn't all that great at the top, but it's fairly deep.

And I got my eye on Mario Williams for next year; Defensive End out of NC State. 6'7", 260 lbs., and runs a 4.6-40. Kid's a freak. :)

LiL stumppy
12-21-2004, 07:16 PM
:eek: You can draft a safety to play SAFETY?

Yea if we don't convert him to a corner

Logical
12-21-2004, 08:32 PM
I wouldn't be all that opposed to trading down and accumulating draft picks for this year and the '06 draft. This year's draft isn't all that great at the top, but it's fairly deep.

And I got my eye on Mario Williams for next year; Defensive End out of NC State. 6'7", 260 lbs., and runs a 4.6-40. Kid's a freak. :)
The only positive thing I can say about this idea is there is at least a chance that DV will leave and take Carl with him. In which case there is a miniscule chance we would not f*ck up that 2006 draft pick.

Coogs
12-22-2004, 02:37 PM

Here is a piece from nfldraftcountdown on Davis. Sounds like he could help this defense....

13. Houston Texans: Thomas Davis, S, Georgia

With one of top young collections of talent in the league, the Texans are certainly a team on the rise. With that said, every team has needs and Houston is no exception. One area where they could use some help is at strong safety next to converted cornerback Marcus Coleman and Davis would be an excellent fit as well as a tremendous bargain this far down in round one. Davis plays like a linebacker in a safeties body and is seemingly in on every play. In fact, numerous scouts have referred to Davis as a difference maker and speak as glowingly about him as just about any other defensive player in this Draft. L.S.U. defensive end Marcus Spears would also be an ideal fit in their 3-4 scheme and would allow the team to move Robaire Smith inside to nose tackle, thus giving Houston one of the better defensive lines in the league. Still, it would be hard to believe that the Texans could pass on Davis if he were available since he would bring just the type of physical, playmaking presence to their secondary that they are looking for. In fact, Davis has Roy Williams-like potential and his selection would be yet another great move by a savvy front office and give the team another key building block towards their future. A secondary core of Aaron Glenn and Dunta Robinson at corner and Coleman at Davis at safety would strike fear in the hearts of opposing defenses and they may need all that firepower since they play in the same division as the explosive Colts and have to face Peyton Manning twice per season.

ChiefsCountry
12-22-2004, 02:44 PM
You guys are going to kill me for saying this, but we need to start thinking about our offense. Its getting old in lot of areas. WR or OL might be a good choice. Remember the draft isn't always for the present its for the future as well. I suggest Mark Clayton WR from Oklahoma. We keep sliding down and the impact defensive players are getting fewer and fewer.

CosmicPal
12-22-2004, 02:53 PM
I'd rather we get this guy....

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerprofiles/de/mathiaskiwanuka.html

Hydrae
12-22-2004, 02:54 PM
You guys are going to kill me for saying this, but we need to start thinking about our offense. Its getting old in lot of areas. WR or OL might be a good choice. Remember the draft isn't always for the present its for the future as well. I suggest Mark Clayton WR from Oklahoma. We keep sliding down and the impact defensive players are getting fewer and fewer.

Clayton would be a lovely pick! :thumb:

Thig Lyfe
12-22-2004, 02:55 PM
I'd rather we get this guy....

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerprofiles/de/mathiaskiwanuka.html

I've been saying for years that we need to get a grandson of an assasinated Ugandan prime minister to beef up the d-line.

CosmicPal
12-22-2004, 02:57 PM
I've been saying for years that we need to get a grandson of an assasinated Ugandan prime minister to beef up the d-line.

ROFL

HC_Chief
12-22-2004, 02:58 PM
NOpe. If we're going to use a first round pick on a Safety, I want it to be on a can't miss STRONG Safety. You can convert pretty much any CB into a free safety.

go bo
12-22-2004, 03:03 PM
I've been saying for years that we need to get a grandson of an assasinated Ugandan prime minister to beef up the d-line.we better look for another one, then...

this one is a little on the lean side and not much in the way of beef...

Thig Lyfe
12-22-2004, 03:05 PM
we better look for another one, then...

this one is a little on the lean side and not much in the way of beef...

Beef as in talent-beef. Not beef-beef.

Duuuuh.

go bo
12-22-2004, 03:07 PM
NOpe. If we're going to use a first round pick on a Safety, I want it to be on a can't miss STRONG Safety. You can convert pretty much any CB into a free safety.as poorly as woods has played, our needs at cb and probably lb far outweigh the need to draft a safety, let alone in the first round...

Coogs
12-22-2004, 03:08 PM
NOpe. If we're going to use a first round pick on a Safety, I want it to be on a can't miss STRONG Safety. You can convert pretty much any CB into a free safety.

That piece I posted on Davis says he is a STRONG safety.

HC_Chief
12-22-2004, 03:13 PM
That piece I posted on Davis says he is a STRONG safety.

Sorry... missed that post, but I did see ChiTown refer to him a a 2year starter at FS. So which is it?

If he's a badass SS, then sure I'd use a #1 on him. SS is a key role in a defense - responsible for coverage, pass rush and run support. That position does it all. Get a wicked athlete in there and shred :thumb:

If he's not a 'wicked athlete', then no way do you use a #1 on a safety... not with severe needs at LB and corner.