PDA

View Full Version : Positives About This Season

NaptownChief
12-23-2004, 11:34 AM
Not many but I will list them:

1)Pissing away the season early for some reason doesn't hurt as bad as pissing away the season late...

2)Jared Allen-Badly needed DE talent looked like a real head stratcher on draft day and turned out to be our best steal in a long time

3)Larry Johnson was able to regain a lot of the value that Vermeil worked so hard to strip away.

4)Kennison stepped it up a notch this year in making plays

5)Getting a big play out of an offensive rookie(Sammie Parker), probably won't see the field again for making Vermeil's beloved veterens(Morton) look more inept but good to see him sneek one in.

6)Knocking the piss out of the Donks and pretty much killing their season.

There were other positives like Gonzo, Green, Holmes and the O Line but only mentioned those that weren't expected.

HC_Chief
12-23-2004, 11:38 AM
1) Offense continued to churn out ridiculous numbers

2) Looks like the FO and coaching staff finally figured out we need more talented players on the defensive side of the ball

shakesthecat
12-23-2004, 11:42 AM
Lionel Dalton and Benny Sapp both played better than expected.

stumppy
12-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Scanlon only had a couple of penalties all year.

HC_Chief
12-23-2004, 11:52 AM
Trent & Gonzo seem to have finally realized that throwing the ball up for grabs in the endzone, in Gonzo's direction even though he is double-teamed, does not constitute a smart play. In other words, they quit trying for a PI call on every damn redzone pass to #88.

NaptownChief
12-23-2004, 11:52 AM
Lionel Dalton and Benny Sapp both played better than expected.

Yeah, those two definitely deserve to be on the list.

ROYC75
12-23-2004, 11:53 AM
Scanlon only had a couple of penalties all year.

Not bad considering we had other players that commited more fouls. :rolleyes:

Phobia
12-23-2004, 11:55 AM

Not per appearance, though. It is my hypothesis that Scanlon has drawn a flag each time he got his cleats dirty. I could be mistaken or I could be correct. Who knows for sure?

beavis
12-23-2004, 11:56 AM
It's almost over.

sparkky
12-23-2004, 11:57 AM
Agreed on Sapp and Dalton.
Getting the young safeties some playing time.
Getting the kicker situation resolved. Tynes may never be hall of fame material but he should at least solidify the kicker position for several years.
Battle showed what he can do. Hope he can use his college degree in some fashion. A NFL DB just isn't what he's good at, IMHO.
Some young Olinemen getting at least some limited experience. Roaf and Shields will need to be replaced SOON.

NaptownChief
12-23-2004, 12:02 PM
I meant to put Tynes on the list also....Despite shanking the two XP's he is a solid young kicker with a quality leg. Keeping him was a very good decision.

ROYC75
12-23-2004, 12:02 PM
Not per appearance, though. It is my hypothesis that Scanlon has drawn a flag each time he got his cleats dirty. I could be mistaken or I could be correct. Who knows for sure?

Agreed, by these same standards, the 3 tackles on limited plays, ( reps ) his aveage per tackle would be considerbly higher than many players on the team , tackles /per play.

Happy Holidays Phobia and family ! :thumb:

el borracho
12-23-2004, 12:25 PM
Like a moth to a flame. You just can't help yourself, can you?

stumppy
12-23-2004, 12:31 PM

:D

ROYC75
12-23-2004, 12:36 PM

Really, I can, I spreading tidings of great joy.... Happy Holidays to ya ! :thumb:

( BTW, I didn't make the Scanlon comment ) So who's the ones who is the moth to a flame ? ROFL

Rain Man
12-23-2004, 12:44 PM
Beisel was a pleasant surprise for me this year, as is Jordan Black.

Adoption aside, I'm a big Harts fan, and I think more playing time for him is helpful.

alpha_omega
12-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Oakland still sucks!

el borracho
12-23-2004, 12:52 PM
( BTW, I didn't make the Scanlon comment ) So who's the ones who is the moth to a flame ? ROFL
The only reason anyone on this board ever mentions Scanlon is to watch you and your son get all wound up. And you respond every time. You are the moth, Scanlon is the flame.

Happy holidays.

Rain Man
12-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Waters making the pro bowl is a nice development.

KevB
12-23-2004, 12:56 PM
Hopefully we'll be able to add Kris Wilson to the list after the final two games. He really needs to get some time...

ROYC75
12-23-2004, 01:02 PM
The only reason anyone on this board ever mentions Scanlon is to watch you and your son get all wound up. And you respond every time. You are the moth, Scanlon is the flame.

Happy holidays.

One way of looking at it.......

Another would be, those making sarcastic comments are just being sarcastic jerks . :hmmm:

All's fair in love and having fun. :thumb:

Again, happy Holidays el ....... :thumb:

KC Kings
12-23-2004, 01:02 PM
Jared Allen looks good, but he makes a lot of mistakes. Truluck looked above average last year, and he went to a team with an average defense and has only played 9 games with 11 tackles and 1.5 sacks. I like his intenstity, the fact he come from BFE Idaho, and his funky fresh dancing skills. I have a lot of hope in him and he is a positive, but I can't build myself up with him too high yet.

Lionel Dalton: When we got him I was one of the "WTF is CP doing crowd", but he has been a tremendous positive on this team. Simms and Siavii have flashed on a few plays, and Dalton has been a big reason for that.

Larry Johnson:A lot of this has to do with our O line, but to have a guy that doesn't glance off of defenders like Priest or Blaylock, but instead pounds through them like Kimble Anders is great. His speed was an unexpected surprise, and I see nothing but great things for him in the future.

Eddie Kennison: Forgot his physical ability and talent. His athletisicm has never been a question, it was his mental capabilities. I listen to TRich's show on 88.5 every Tuesday night, and he has spent a lot of time talking about Eddie. Eddie has started going back to church, and more than just going through the motions he has turned his life around and is "on fire for the lord". Whether you believe in Jesus or whether you believe problem children can really turn their life around in the blink of an eye, one thing is undeniable. He now realizes that he needs to get his mind straight, and he has put forth the effort to do so. As long as he stays on track, he could be a dominate WR for years to come.

Frankie
12-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Everyone forgot the most glaring hopeful thing:

When we lost, we lost by a few points. When we won, we usually wallopped them. Had we lost a couple of shut-outs or onesided scores, I'd be more worried about what it takes to fix what's wrong.

ROYC75
12-23-2004, 01:05 PM

When we lost, we lost by a few points. When we won, we usually wallopped them. Had we lost a couple of shut-outs or onesided scores, I'd be more worried about what it takes to fix what's wrong.

Very good point !

KCTitus
12-23-2004, 01:06 PM
I guess I can agree with the positives... It's good to see the young guys showing some flashes and Dalton making good on the DL.

It's just disappointing how quickly this season really ended...3 bad weeks in the first four and it was all but over.

NaptownChief
12-23-2004, 01:08 PM

That is a positive and a negative...It's positive for next year it is extremely negative for this year as it really pisses me off knowing how close we were if our worthless f'in GM would have done something to upgrade our defensive talent in the slightest.

NaptownChief
12-23-2004, 01:10 PM
It's just disappointing how quickly this season really ended...3 bad weeks in the first four and it was all but over.

That certainly sucked a$$....Having a whole offseason of excitment shot to hell in just 3 weeks was about as tough as it gets. A couple months later I have been able to finally let it go....(to some degree)

The Bad Guy
12-23-2004, 01:11 PM

It's amazing how you defend that guy.

Is he an illegit son or something?

Chiefnj
12-23-2004, 01:11 PM
Positives about the season:

1. DV is now certain that it is the talent on the defense that is the problem and not the coordinator. As such, he will invite GROB back for "The SB Drive in '05."

2. Carl Peterson's status as a draft guru has been solidified with the emergence of Larry Johnson.

3. Lamar Hunt saves $12.00 a game ever since Priest was caught eating nachos on live television. Priest is no longer allowed to eat during games.

4. Since the defense makes contact so infrequently Lamar has saved big money on laundry and new jerseys. A little baby powder and they look and smell as good as new.

Gaz
12-23-2004, 01:14 PM
Not to open an old wound, but the Offense had chances to win the game in the 4th quarter of every loss this season.

I realize some marginally-literate poster will somehow conclude that I am “defending” the Defense. That is not true. I am simply pointing out that the opportunities were there and the O failed to capitalize.

xoxo~
Gaz
Disappointed in both sides of the ball at different times this season.

The Bad Guy
12-23-2004, 01:14 PM
My positives are:

Allen- I love his motor, and really how can you hate a white guy that wears #69?

Dalton- Better than the fat waste Sims and costs about 1/20th of what he does.

Kennison- He is going to be a good #2 next year, but we have to find a way to get Jerry Porter.

LJ- Just because I know we have someone capable when Holmes decides to leave in a year or 2.

Other than that, the season is a wash.

The Bad Guy
12-23-2004, 01:16 PM
Not to open an old wound, but the Offense had chances to win the game in the 4th quarter of every loss this season.

I realize some marginally-literate poster will somehow conclude that I am “defending” the Defense. That is not true. I am simply pointing out that the opportunities were there and the O failed to capitalize.

xoxo~
Gaz
Disappointed in both sides of the ball at different times this season.

The defense failed to get stops in the Texans, Jaguars, and Saints game that wouldn't have put the offense in that position.

The offense had chances to win those games, yes, but if the defense got one stop in crunch time in those games it wouldn't have mattered.

KCTitus
12-23-2004, 01:18 PM
That certainly sucked a$$....Having a whole offseason of excitment shot to hell in just 3 weeks was about as tough as it gets. A couple months later I have been able to finally let it go....(to some degree)

yes, time heals all wounds...it was around this time last year of the Minn game which really 'ended' that season or at least it did for me. Much worse for it to happen that late than early, I guess.

KCTitus
12-23-2004, 01:22 PM
The defense failed to get stops in the Texans, Jaguars, and Saints game that wouldn't have put the offense in that position.

The offense had chances to win those games, yes, but if the defense got one stop in crunch time in those games it wouldn't have mattered.

True, but more important than either sides performance was the amount of turnovers...the difference between this year and last is like 25 turnovers to KC.

Ive had a theory that if KC can get a 14 pt lead on any team, they win that game. In 4 different games, KC was going in for the score that would have done just that and the ball was fumbled inside the 10. If those go the other way, KC most likely wins those games, IMO.

If KC goes 8-8 that would be the difference between that and 12-4.

That said...still doesnt get KC past Pitt or NE this year.