PDA

View Full Version : DV muses on undrafted FA's, his son Trent, and Xmas shopping...

shaneo69
12-23-2004, 12:49 PM
BOB GRETZ: A wonderful time of year for some of the players on your team who have passes to Hawaii for the annual Pro Bowl. Some are old favorites but for Brian Waters it’s a new experience.

DICK VERMEIL: “He’s been in the works, really. When I got here he was covering punts and kickoffs, which was amazing. I remember watching those films watching him sprint down there. He started my very first game ever here as a center. Then when Casey Wiegmann came back he was relegated to back-up center. Then when our right tackle got hurt, we moved our left guard to right tackle and him to left guard. That’s how it all started.

“I believe he’s done a tremendous job both on and off the field with his overall frame of mind. He’s working deliberately to be a better player and there are a lot of areas in his game where he can improve and will improve.”

GRETZ: There are 38 guys selected at the 22 positions on offense and defense in the AFC and NFC and only four of those guys were un-drafted. You have two of them: Brian Waters and Tony Richardson. How tough is that?

VERMEIL: “I pat myself on the back, maybe, but I’ve had some luck that way over the years. I get a great deal of satisfaction because I’d like to believe that our process helps them to develop into what they become. My obligation to my players, our coaches’ obligation to our players, is to help them be the best they can be. Once they get here it doesn’t matter if they’re first or last or not picked at all.”

“Let me say something about Trent Green’s not being selected. Trent Green is silently becoming one of the best quarterbacks to play this game. There are only been a few guys who have averaged over 90 (in quarterback rating) for three years in a row. He’s done it.”

GRETZ: He’d have to have two bad games, wouldn’t he, to dip below that number?

VERMEIL: “Yeah.”

GRETZ: Short week this week, but were you able to get all you needed to get done done?

VERMEIL: “Yes, it’s been an excellent week. Our equivalent Thursday practice was as good a practice as we’ve had at any time this year.”

GRETZ: Is your Christmas shopping done?

VERMEIL: “No, I haven’t done a thing. I really haven’t. My family’s in Pennsylvania and my wife takes care of that. I haven’t done anything for her yet but I will.”

GRETZ: The time you and your staff put in, the idea of Christmas shopping seems impossible.

VERMEIL: “I like to shop. I like to get out of my environment and rub elbows with all the people and see the smiles on their faces. So far we haven’t had time.”

htismaqe
12-23-2004, 12:57 PM
“Let me say something about Trent Green’s not being selected. Trent Green is silently becoming one of the best quarterbacks to play this game. There are only been a few guys who have averaged over 90 (in quarterback rating) for three years in a row. He’s done it.”

He just HAD to sneak this one in. I wonder if Trent is at all uncomfortable with Vermeil's obsession with him...

beavis
12-23-2004, 01:00 PM
GRETZ: There are 38 guys selected at the 22 positions on offense and defense in the AFC and NFC and only four of those guys were un-drafted. You have two of them: Brian Waters and Tony Richardson. How tough is that?

VERMEIL: “I pat myself on the back, maybe, but I’ve had some luck that way over the years. ”...
WTF did he have to do with Richardson? Tony was a great player when he inherited him. Great job on deciding not to let him go.

While we're at it, great job on letting Donnie Edwards go. It's obvious we didn't need any help at the linebacker spot. You're drafts have been stellar also. Standing pat on defense last offseason, that was a great move too. Vermeil, what a great personel guy. :shake:

I swear, if this guy was half the genious (CP spelling) he gave himself credit for...

JazzzLovr
12-23-2004, 01:01 PM
VERMEIL: “I like to shop. I like to get out of my environment and rub elbows with all the people and see the smiles on their faces. So far we haven’t had time.”

Boy is he in for a surprise. We're not smiling anymore...

shaneo69
12-23-2004, 01:04 PM
He just HAD to sneak this one in. I wonder if Trent is at all uncomfortable with Vermeil's obsession with him...

So according to DV, Trent is silent but deadly.

I liked how Gretz brought him back down to earth though, by saying that Trent could still choke away the record if he has two bad games.

Skip Towne
12-23-2004, 01:08 PM
Does DV have kids? How many? What kind?

Mojo Rising
12-23-2004, 01:10 PM
WTF did he have to do with Richardson? Tony was a great player when he inherited him. Great job on deciding not to let him go.

While we're at it, great job on letting Donnie Edwards go. It's obvious we didn't need any help at the linebacker spot. You're drafts have been stellar also. Standing pat on defense last offseason, that was a great move too. Vermeil, what a great personel guy. :shake:

I swear, if this guy was half the genious (CP spelling) he gave himself credit for...

I wouldn't hang the lack of FA activity on DV's doorstep. To me that is Lamar Hunt. I still don't understand how we can not spend the entire salary cap with so many glaring needs.

We needed a CB 2 years ago and we didn't sign Tory James and last year we didn't sign Winfield. Amongst many others.

beavis
12-23-2004, 01:36 PM
I wouldn't hang the lack of FA activity on DV's doorstep. To me that is Lamar Hunt. I still don't understand how we can not spend the entire salary cap with so many glaring needs.

We needed a CB 2 years ago and we didn't sign Tory James and last year we didn't sign Winfield. Amongst many others.
Then he doesn't deserve credit for the good moves either. Especially the ones that happened before he even got here (T-Rich).

The ego on this guy just amazes me sometimes.

htismaqe
12-23-2004, 02:53 PM
Then he doesn't deserve credit for the good moves either. Especially the ones that happened before he even got here (T-Rich).

The ego on this guy just amazes me sometimes.

Two ENTIRELY different situations.

DV gets credit for going out and getting guys because he DID. The reason why he can't take all the blame for inactivity is because if Lamar Hunt said "no money" there's not much DV can do...

Mr. Laz
12-23-2004, 05:47 PM
do you think Vermeil secretly desires Trent's man juice?

i mean really :rolleyes:

Mr. Laz
12-23-2004, 05:50 PM
if Lamar Hunt said "no money" there's not much DV can do...
the problem is, we really dont know what happened with this "money" thing.

was vermeil just sticking with "his guys"?

did Gunther Ego demand he wanted a chance to win with the existing guys?

did carl peterson want to make his profit bonus?

is lamar hunt a cheap bastiges?

some combination of the above? :shrug:

Hammock Parties
12-23-2004, 05:54 PM

I bet if you had an archive of Vermeil's interviews from St. Louis and Philly, he did the same thing with Ron Jaworksi and Kurt Warner.

Vermeil's had to defend Green every second of every day because he had an awful start in Kansas City, and fans in KC are tougher on QBs than any other city IMO.

I remember last year during the second San Diego game when Trent tossed an interception in the endzone, some Chiefs fan next to me at the bar muttered "I just don't know about that guy." WTF?

The Bad Guy
12-23-2004, 06:04 PM
Vermeil's had to defend Green every second of every day because he had an awful start in Kansas City, and fans in KC are tougher on QBs than any other city IMO.

Kansas City isn't tougher than Philadelphia, or New York on quarterbacks.

Hammock Parties
12-23-2004, 06:08 PM
Kansas City isn't tougher than Philadelphia, or New York on quarterbacks.

OK good point but still pretty tough.

Mr. Laz
12-23-2004, 06:09 PM
and fans in KC are tougher on QBs than any other city IMO
that's not true at all...

they have just had alot of bad QB's to complain about

once Green started playing decent, nobody has complained hardly at all.

but when you have Grbac,bono etc ... you have alot to complain about

NewChief
12-24-2004, 08:36 AM
I remember last year during the second San Diego game when Trent tossed an interception in the endzone, some Chiefs fan next to me at the bar muttered "I just don't know about that guy." WTF?

A fan sitting next to me this year, in like the second game of the year, said, "Maybe we should see what Collins can do" after a bad throw. I couldn't believe it.

Raiderhater
12-24-2004, 09:05 AM
Does DV have kids? How many? What kind?

I think so. Not sure. Human, I'd imagine.

stevieray
12-24-2004, 09:49 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I really find that Christmas eve is a great time to complain.

RedandGold
12-24-2004, 10:02 AM

was vermeil just stinking with "his guys"?

I'm pretty certain that it's some combination of the above. Even though we re-signed a number of ineffective players on defense, we don't necessarily know how those contracts are structured. They could basically be one-year deals structured to help our cap situation.

With Robinson taking the blame for our poor defensive performance, I imagine that Carl and Gunther each thought they could get more out of the existing roster. Considering that we got to 13-3 with a pathetic defense, I imagine that all parties involved assumed that we could still make it to the playoffs while we figured out whether our problems on defense were based upon the system or personnel.

The bright side of this whole situation is that we have figured out that the personnel are to blame, and we should be in a favorable cap situation going into the offseason.

philfree
12-24-2004, 10:51 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I really find that Christmas eve is a great time to complain.

ROFL Wait till they open their presents and find that they didn't get everything they wanted. ROFL

PhilFree :arrow:
~Merry Christmas to all~

Mr. Laz
12-24-2004, 11:35 AM
The bright side of this whole situation is that we have figured out that the personnel are to blame, and we should be in a favorable cap situation going into the offseason.

wanna bet?

i still think we our "tight against the cap" regardless of what we didnt spend last year. Carl will make sure of it, even if it's just to keep the fan expectations down about FA's.

Rain Man
12-24-2004, 11:40 AM

My wife and I are planning on traveling tonight, but when I called our favorite inn, he said there was no room. Can you believe that he offered us a room in the garage out back? Where is customer service these days?

Skip Towne
12-24-2004, 11:46 AM
I think so. Not sure. Human, I'd imagine.
Thanks for answering my questions. I can die happy now.

whoman69
12-24-2004, 03:22 PM

was vermeil just sticking with "his guys"?

I vote for some combination, but you forgot the one where CP can't judge how much is left in someone's tank.

stevieray
12-24-2004, 03:27 PM
My wife and I are planning on traveling tonight, but when I called our favorite inn, he said there was no room. Can you believe that he offered us a room in the garage out back? Where is customer service these days?

Sounds like he went out of his way, instead of sending you down the road.

That's the spirit!

whoman69
12-24-2004, 03:29 PM
I'm dreaming of Chiefs victory
Just like the ones I used to know
Where the Raiders bristle
and Davis gets thistle
to pain him right there in his butt

Im dreaming of a Chiefs victory
with every stinking post I write
may the Raiders suck like they're done
and may all our Christmas' be won

Pitt Gorilla
12-24-2004, 05:07 PM
People who complain about Trent don't understand the game; he's one of the best.