PDA

View Full Version : Strength to weakness?

HemiEd
12-23-2004, 06:29 PM
I would like to find out what everyone thinks will happen after next year (2005) to the Offensive Line. I for one feel that Shields and Roaf will retire after next year. I have no facts to support that, just call it 35 years of following the beloved Chiefs. I am not aware of any backups that are capable or are even being groomed to replace these two incredible linemen. Is there something that I am missing?

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
12-23-2004, 08:40 PM
I think Welbourn could do a good job if he were to move back to guard with Bober or Black staying at that RT spot. Replacing Roaf will be tough though.

HemiEd
12-23-2004, 09:39 PM
I think Welbourn could do a good job if he were to move back to guard with Bober or Black staying at that RT spot. Replacing Roaf will be tough though.

Maybe we could steal some one else from the Saints after he has learned to play. Left Tackle is a hard one to fill, especially with a draft choice.

ZootedGranny
12-23-2004, 09:45 PM
Even after Shields and Roaf retire, I don't think the offensive line would become a weakness. I don't expect their replacements to keep play at the level that Roaf and Shields have played at, but I think if the Chiefs can do one thing right, its put together a solid offensive line, as Solari seems to be able to coach these guys to their best.

Now, I understand anyone that would say that Waters and Weigmann being next to Roaf and Shields helps them look better, but Weigmann is an undersized center that is an outstanding run and pass blocker, and Waters is a converted tight end/defensive end...Waters made the Pro Bowl and I think Weigmann should've been up for consideration.

This preseason, Sampson looked good, as did the undrafted Lilja (who unfortunately was let go). Black has stepped in and didn't look to be any liability against the Broncos.

I don't know if I'd call it a system, but most of the players under Solari have either stepped their game up considerably, or outright became good linemen.

Frankie
12-24-2004, 12:54 AM
Even after Shields and Roaf retire, I don't think the offensive line would become a weakness. I don't expect their replacements to keep play at the level that Roaf and Shields have played at, but I think if the Chiefs can do one thing right, its put together a solid offensive line, as Solari seems to be able to coach these guys to their best.

Now, I understand anyone that would say that Waters and Weigmann being next to Roaf and Shields helps them look better, but Weigmann is an undersized center that is an outstanding run and pass blocker, and Waters is a converted tight end/defensive end...Waters made the Pro Bowl and I think Weigmann should've been up for consideration.

This preseason, Sampson looked good, as did the undrafted Lilja (who unfortunately was let go). Black has stepped in and didn't look to be any liability against the Broncos.

I don't know if I'd call it a system, but most of the players under Solari have either stepped their game up considerably, or outright became good linemen.

I have an uneasy feeling about the O-line too. But it's mainly because I remember that's how the Chiefs big drop from grace occured in the early 70s. Namely Hank Stram's O-line got old together. The operative word here is "together." I don't think that's gonna happen to this Chiefs edition. You point out Sampson's potential and Black's gradual development. Waters' development gives me a lot of hope that we are capable of developing at least one of those young linemen. And I still have a gut feeling we'll eventually see Orlando Pace on the Chiefs O-line.

Rausch
12-24-2004, 01:31 AM
I think EVERYONE (of import) will be back for next year. After that (win the superbowl or just suck) I have no idea.

Everyone is locked up in contracts and most can't leave without retirement or release...It'll be a trip, that's for sure...

HemiEd
12-24-2004, 04:03 AM
I have an uneasy feeling about the O-line too. But it's mainly because I remember that's how the Chiefs big drop from grace occured in the early 70s. Namely Hank Stram's O-line got old together. The operative word here is "together." I don't think that's gonna happen to this Chiefs edition. You point out Sampson's potential and Black's gradual development. Waters' development gives me a lot of hope that we are capable of developing at least one of those young linemen. And I still have a gut feeling we'll eventually see Orlando Pace on the Chiefs O-line.

The Stram Era and the Victor Riley/Dave SZott move is what makes me bring this up. I hope we have no drop off, I have not heard much about Sampson. Orlando Pace? Wow, that would be a nice addition, is there anything that causes you to think that he would be a Chief other than Vermeil association?

Merry Chirstmas!

Skip Towne
12-24-2004, 08:00 AM
The Stram Era and the Victor Riley/Dave SZott move is what makes me bring this up. I hope we have no drop off, I have not heard much about Sampson. Orlando Pace? Wow, that would be a nice addition, is there anything that causes you to think that he would be a Chief other than Vermeil association?

Merry Chirstmas!
I've read that Pace has clashed with the Rams coaches over his slacking on work ethics. But I'd take him. Art Still was the same way but got it done on gameday.

Alphaman
12-24-2004, 08:27 AM
I've read that Pace has clashed with the Rams coaches over his slacking on work ethics. But I'd take him. Art Still was the same way but got it done on gameday.

The problem is that both he and Walter Jones will likely not be tagged THIS offseason. I think the Rams and the Seahawks are tired of the franchise tag dance with these two. We'd have to sign him this offseason. Given our needs at LB, CB, DE and WR, I'm not sure we'll be able to. It would be a very prudent move though. Let Pace play RT this season and then make the switch when Roaf retires.

RedandGold
12-24-2004, 09:40 AM
This makes me wonder how Brett Williams factors into the equation. He's a big guy that's currently #2 on the depth chart behind Roaf, but I don't rememeber him setting the world on fire during preseason.

Frankie
12-24-2004, 12:27 PM

Merry Chirstmas!

I don't think Pace is a extremely happy as a Ram. Seems I read it some time ago somewhere. That and the DV/AS association gives me that inclination.

Frankie
12-24-2004, 12:29 PM
The problem is that both he and Walter Jones will likely not be tagged THIS offseason. I think the Rams and the Seahawks are tired of the franchise tag dance with these two. We'd have to sign him this offseason. Given our needs at LB, CB, DE and WR, I'm not sure we'll be able to. It would be a very prudent move though. Let Pace play RT this season and then make the switch when Roaf retires.
Or stretch out Roaf's career by letting him play the less demanding RT.

HemiEd
12-25-2004, 11:34 AM
This makes me wonder how Brett Williams factors into the equation. He's a big guy that's currently #2 on the depth chart behind Roaf, but I don't rememeber him setting the world on fire during preseason.
thanks everyone, this is what I was hoping for: some insight and knowlede.
Merry Christmas, go Chiefs! Kick some Raider's butt today!