PDA

View Full Version : NFT Thinking of picking up a second major.

mcan
12-24-2004, 12:14 PM
So, I'm a theatre major at Kansas State. I'm pretty good at it, and I think I can get a job, and I love it. But, I also love acedamia (read: I hate getting a job). I have one more year left to graduate with a bachelor of science in theatre.

As I was checking my grades this morning, I got curious and decided to see what I would have to do if I wanted to switch majors... Low and behold, if I wanted to get a bachelor of science degree in Philosophy with an "pre-law" emphasis, it would only keep me at school for another year after my theatre degree...

Anybody got any ideas? Should I try to do something like this? Anybody know how law school works? Maybe I should just go to grad school for theater.

Saulbadguy
12-24-2004, 12:15 PM
Go to school as long as possible...trust me on this one.

NaptownChief
12-24-2004, 12:17 PM
If theatre is what you love to do then stick with it...Something more pratical from a job standpoint never hurts but you only get one crack at this life so do what you enjoy.

mcan
12-24-2004, 12:21 PM
If theatre is what you love to do then stick with it...Something more pratical from a job standpoint never hurts but you only get one crack at this life so do what you enjoy.

I like that attitude a lot. It's the reason I became a theatre major. Well, that and because "football coach" isn't a major... But I can see the same argument the other way. If you only live once, why not try everything?

NaptownChief
12-24-2004, 12:23 PM
I like that attitude a lot. It's the reason I became a theatre major. Well, that and because "football coach" isn't a major... But I can see the same argument the other way. If you only live once, why not try everything?

No matter which way you go things will eventually work out the less practical ways might just take a little longer and knowing things will work out go the direction you will enjoy most. As a funny yet wise friend once told me "aint' none of us getting out of here alive"... :D

Rain Man
12-24-2004, 12:25 PM
I have to agree with Saul on this one. Both jokingly and seriously. Once you get out, it's hard to go back if you want another degree.

el borracho
12-24-2004, 12:27 PM
Depends on your interests, really. If you don't mind staying in school, I would suggest you add a second major and/ or go to grad school because (no offense intended) I don't view theatre as a very practical degree. I would not suggest philosophy because (again, no offense) I don't see that as a practical degree, either. If you think you might like to go to law school I would talk with your college advisors for advice on law school applications. I would also contact several law schools and ask them what the minimum requirements are. Knowing what law schools look at on their applications should help you define what you do during your undergrad. One thing I would suggest if you want to do a second major but aren't set on specifics is to second major in a language. Language is a very practical skill that can help you in almost any career.

Fat Elvis
12-24-2004, 12:34 PM
mcan-

do you do forensics at K-State?

I was on the team in the late 80's. It was a blast.

I got my BS in psych and philosophy at K-State. Pretty soon I will be fully qualified to work at Kwik-Shop.

DenverChief
12-24-2004, 12:37 PM
Go to grad school much more of a wise use of your money....

Fat Elvis
12-24-2004, 12:44 PM
Go to grad school much more of a wise use of your money....

If you have half a brain, they will pay you to go to grad school.

I hit the grad school jackpot. I got paid to watch TV. My rhetoric was a bit too inflamatory back in the day and the dept was afraid that some parents might be calling up if i were teaching so I got paid to sit in a room and either sleep or watch Love Connection and The Price is Right. When they pulled Chuck Woolery out of the TV lineup in favor of Jenny Jones, I spent the rest of the year calling up the TV station every day complaining about thier programming decisions. Good times.

DenverChief
12-24-2004, 12:44 PM
Depends on your interests, really. If you don't mind staying in school, I would suggest you add a second major and/ or go to grad school because (no offense intended) I don't view theatre as a very practical degree. I would not suggest philosophy because (again, no offense) I don't see that as a practical degree, either. If you think you might like to go to law school I would talk with your college advisors for advice on law school applications. I would also contact several law schools and ask them what the minimum requirements are. Knowing what law schools look at on their applications should help you define what you do during your undergrad. One thing I would suggest if you want to do a second major but aren't set on specifics is to second major in a language. Language is a very practical skill that can help you in almost any career.

Min 3.0 GPA (3.5-4.0 is best)
Min 150 on the LSAT ( 120-180 scale )
Unless you don't mind going to a "lesser" law school like Thomas Jefferson in L.A. But if you want to go to KU or CU law that is your best bet

DenverChief
12-24-2004, 12:46 PM
If you have half a brain, they will pay you to go to grad school.

I hit the grad school jackpot. I got paid to watch TV. My rhetoric was a bit too inflamatory back in the day and the dept was afraid that some parents might be calling up if i were teaching so I got paid to sit in a room and either sleep or watch Love Connection and The Price is Right. When they pulled Chuck Woolery out of the TV lineup in favor of Jenny Jones, I spent the rest of the year calling up the TV station every day complaining about thier programming decisions. Good times.ROFL What was your grad degree in?

Fat Elvis
12-24-2004, 12:50 PM
ROFL What was your grad degree in?

I went to grad school in Rhetoric at UT in Austin. I got sick of academia, skipped out on my thesis and hopped on my motorcycle before I finished my masters.

mcan
12-24-2004, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys...

I think I really want to go to grad school for theatre anyway. Also, I have a dream of writing a book about my own personal philosophies about life and emotions and choices... These are the things I really feel passionate about. Law is something that just sounds interesting. Plus, people take you a bit more seriously if you have a law degree, even if you're not a practicing lawyer.

So, it seems like adding a year to my undergrad schedule before going off to grad school could be a nice little venture and a cool way of putting off the real world. I guess I'd just like to be one of those people with several degrees that warrant a bit of respect.

Logical
12-24-2004, 01:31 PM
No matter which way you go things will eventually work out the less practical ways might just take a little longer and knowing things will work out go the direction you will enjoy most. As a funny yet wise friend once told me "aint' none of us getting out of here alive"... :D
I suppose you could say that people living on the street and eating out of garbage cans had things eventually work out. JMHO but college degree choices are important. I have seen the folks who chose impractical degrees managing a Burger King. If you are ok with that mcan then by all means just consider what is fun. Otherwise I think your second thoughts are warranted.

NaptownChief
12-24-2004, 01:32 PM
Good luck...And when grad school and the theatre world has you voting like JAZ I will do my best to still respect you. :D

Logical
12-24-2004, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys...

I think I really want to go to grad school for theatre anyway. Also, I have a dream of writing a book about my own personal philosophies about life and emotions and choices... These are the things I really feel passionate about. Law is something that just sounds interesting. Plus, people take you a bit more seriously if you have a law degree, even if you're not a practicing lawyer.

So, it seems like adding a year to my undergrad schedule before going off to grad school could be a nice little venture and a cool way of putting off the real world. I guess I'd just like to be one of those people with several degrees that warrant a bit of respect.

The flip side is that if these are your only reasons then they are bad ones. When we interview people for jobs, people with multiple degrees are looked at negatively. Viewed as either afraid to enter the real world and just used school as an out (those people never work out in the work place) or as people who are indecisive dreamers another bad trait for the workplace.

NaptownChief
12-24-2004, 01:36 PM
I suppose you could say that people living on the street and eating out of garbage cans had things eventually work out. JMHO but college degree choices are important. I have seen the folks who chose impractical degrees managing a Burger King. If you are ok with that mcan then by all means just consider what is fun. Otherwise I think your second thoughts are warranted.

you certainly have to balance your choices if you go that route...ie don't jump into marriage and a bag full of kids etc.etc. or you will be forced to managing a Burger King...but if you are willing to live like a college kid on a college kid budget for a few years then you can make it at whatever you want. Just way too many go the impractical degree direction and don't make the proper adjustements in other areas.

mcan
12-24-2004, 01:41 PM
Good luck...And when grad school and the theatre world has you voting like JAZ I will do my best to still respect you. :D

College (and you're right, the theatre) does it's best to liberalize you... I'm just not that way. The big lie about politics, at the risk of hijacking my own thread, is that each party wants you to think that the other party is full of idiots and evil doers... That's just not the case, and it makes me think both parties suck! I'm a moderate conservative, and am an independant. I want to vote for people who make sense and don't pander to emotions of the public or let their own emotions effect their decisions. I want a person that I feel is TRUELY out to make the world a better a place to live in. I want people in leadership who have basic leadership qualities... I don't NEED them to agree with me about every issue... For what it's worth, I think that Bush has done a pretty good job, but he's an ineffective leader because he's a crappy communicator and half the people in the world hate him... Whether that's his fault or not, it makes him a crappy leader. But Kerry was a tool... So, I voted for "ROBOCOP."

Zebedee DuBois
12-24-2004, 01:49 PM
Wait a little longer, save up your money, and pick up a colonel.

RealSNR
12-24-2004, 01:52 PM
Good luck...And when grad school and the theatre world has you voting like JAZ I will do my best to still respect you. :DYep. I deliberately wallpapered my office door with Bush/Cheney 04 posters and stuff during the election. Everyone around me was so pissed. No clue, but for some reason performing arts attracts politically liberal people.

Oh, and of course I got funny looks happily whistling down the halls on November 6 :)