PDA

View Full Version : DMCA: Paramount Pictures is busting people for downloading with bit-torrent.

jAZ
12-25-2004, 12:38 AM
A friend of mine just told me that Cox Cable internet is cooperating with Paramount to bust people who are sharing their movies. I guess bit-torrent automatically shares what you are downloading, so anyone downloading copyrighted material using it, is at risk of being busted under the DMCA.

Just an FYI, for anyone who's been partaking.

Demonpenz
12-25-2004, 12:43 AM
they can come and get me at the internet cafe then

jAZ
12-25-2004, 12:55 AM
nice. :)

Hammock Parties
12-25-2004, 01:29 AM
Cox, huh?

Good thing I'm on Yahoo SBC DSL.

Paramount can blow me too. I pirated every Star Trek movie they made. :D

RealSNR
12-25-2004, 02:11 AM
Cox, huh?

Good thing I'm on Yahoo SBC DSL.

Paramount can blow me too. I pirated every Star Trek movie they made. :DDude, you know what your mug looks like in your sig? One of those angler fish from the deep ocean

RealSNR
12-25-2004, 02:13 AM
http://intelligence.jrc.cec.eu.int/marine/fish/impast/angler%20fish.jpg

http://img90.exs.cx/img90/8449/chronicles1.jpg

Hammock Parties
12-25-2004, 02:15 AM
http://intelligence.jrc.cec.eu.int/marine/fish/impast/angler%20fish.jpg

http://img90.exs.cx/img90/8449/chronicles1.jpg

Sweet. Someone photoshop my face onto an angler stat!

Barret
12-25-2004, 03:45 AM
Hey Jaz, Do you have any "tech" to back this up with? Meaning does the friend have an inside source or other concrete information to actually confirm this?

The only information that I have received is that Cox Cable (like most isp's will soon do) is implementing a cap on it’s downloads for their residential products. I believe that is actually set to like 10GB or something currently. Their Commercial accounts will have unlimited still, thus the plan to charge more for a commercial type product.

From an Internet search this is the only thing I could find,

"MPAA and local rights-holder organizations also are sending letters to Internet service providers worldwide that host eDonkey servers and DirectConnect hubs, asking them to cease any violations."
http://www.bizjournals.com/losangeles/stories/2004/12/13/daily29.html?jst=s_rs_hl

Now what Cox has done is started blocking ports such as web hosting and email hosting so that your every day residential type customer cant run a server setup on his home computer. Most customers would not pay the larger prices to get the commercial product to actually open those ports up and get a static ip address.

Some more info....

http://assembler.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00000512----000-.html

This is where parts of the DMCA is defined. Check out Section "H" of this code and it shows that Anyone not only Paramount can go to a district court and with proper information find out information about you.

"(1) Request.— A copyright owner or a person authorized to act on the owner’s behalf may request the clerk of any United States district court to issue a subpoena to a service provider for identification of an alleged infringer in accordance with this subsection."

So your friend could be correct if taken in this context but GoChiefs SBC/Yahoo would be also cooperating since they would be forced to by a court of law.

So where is the truth? Probably somewhere between my "worker drone" analysis of Cox Communications and your friends information of cooperation being given to Paramount by Cox.

Jaz I am not trying to call you or your friend out here but couldn’t I also come on this board and say "A friend of mine overheard that King Carl is drafting another RB in the first round since Priest is broke down and Blaylock is leaving and LJ doesn’t want anything to do with the Chiefs since Diapergate happened"

If he does have the info I am more then happy to try to get the inside scoop on it and find out how it is all being done. By understanding how it is being tracked could help people out in either re-evaluating their downloading on the Internet or find ways to circumvent the process all together if they have enough technical knowledge to do so.

Rausch
12-25-2004, 04:06 AM
Sweet. Someone photoshop my face onto an angler stat!

Why bother? What's the difference?

jAZ
12-25-2004, 10:17 AM
Barret,

I can't prove to anyone anything about this... I have no other information accept that he just told me (about 10 minutes before I posted this), that he was busted by Cox. I guess they cut off his service. So my friend called up, and they told him that he violated the DMCA by using eDonkey server and Bit-Torrent and that Paramount had contacted Cox and that Cox was cooperating with Paramounts request.

The tech he spoke to said that this was serious stuff. That they would reconnect his service if he promised to delete the movie they caught him downloading and sharing (as bit-torrent does).

The tech told him that with DMCA, downloading isn't the violation it's the sharing that's the violation. But that some technologies require both to operate, so to be careful.

The tech told him that there was a "3 Strikes" policy, and that he just got "strike 1".

My guess is that Cox was contacted by Paramount, who saw him sharing Jackass the Movie, and reported him to his ISP (cox). To avoid becoming the target for a future lawsuit, Cox is cooperating and busting the reported violators.

If everything I am saying is actually true (I can't prove or even verify any of it), it sounds like you have 3 times before you lose your ISP. If you haven't been contacted yet, I guess you are in the clear for now. But I'm just offering up the story for anyone who might want to know what may lie ahead.

jjjayb
12-25-2004, 11:37 AM
Use peer guardian.

PeerGuardian is a powerful yet petite firewall application especially designed for P2P users and anyone else who wants to protect his or her computer from unauthorized searches instigated by private agencies and corporations.

PeerGuardian works by blocking and logging all TCP/IP connections to and from known IP ranges used by known P2P foes, such as the RIAA, MPAA, MediaForce, MediaDefender, BaySTP, Ranger, OverPeer, NetPD, and more.

To make sure that the block-list used to block malicious connections is up to date; PeerGuardian uses an on-line block-list Database that is continuously updated on a daily basis -- so your privacy will remain safe while swapping files.

PeerGuardian is compatible with all TCP/IP based file sharing applications, such as Kazaa, iMesh, LimeWire, eMule, Grokster, DC++, Shareaza, and more. In short, PeerGuardian is the must have tool for any file swapper.

PeerGuardian is not advertising supported, nor does it require registration, and no information is collected from or about product users.

AeroSquid
12-25-2004, 12:09 PM
you can get still busted using PG, it happened to a couple of people i know. play it safe and don't download really new movies, make sure you have an unsecured wireless router and don't use torrents from super popular sites. if you do get a letter from your isp you can always tell them that you are a dumbshit and don't know how to set up your router so anyone could have been downloading from ya.

edit: PG is also a resource hog.

warpaint99
12-25-2004, 02:00 PM
try es5.com .

Filetopia has it with bouncer but i can't get it to work.

Search for anonymous p2p that hides your ip number.

There will be more springing up.