PDA

View Full Version : Todd McFarlane bankrupcy...

unlurking
12-25-2004, 05:06 AM
This really sux ass. I am huge fan of his collectibles and have several Chiefs and Red Wings miniatures. I really hope this does not affect the SportsPick line.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2004/12/20/Arts/todd041219.html%20%3Cbr%3E

Todd McFarlane Productions files for bankruptcy
Last Updated Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:21:13 EST

PHOENIX, ARIZ. - Todd McFarlane Productions Inc., the company founded by the Calgary-born comic-book impresario, has filed for bankruptcy protection.

In court papers filed in Phoenix, the firm listed former NHL player Tony Twist as its largest creditor.

McFarlane owes Twist $15 million US from a court ruling that declared he had used Twist's name without permission.

Antonio "Tony Twist" Twistelli was a villain in McFarlane's Spawn comic book.

McFarlane argued that his use of Twist's name was protected by the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, which safeguards freedom of speech.

In July, a St. Louis court ruled against McFarlane, saying he had profited by using Twist's likeness. McFarlane vowed to fight the settlement.

McFarlane, who was raised in both California and Alberta, is perhaps best known as the creator of Spawn.

The character debuted in 1992, after McFarlane broke from comic giant Marvel – where he revived The Amazing Spider-Man – to form his own publishing company, Image Comics.

Spawn, a dark figure who gets his powers after making a pact with the devil, is known for his violent methods of dispatching bad guys.

The character has appeared in an animated series on HBO, as well as in a 1997 feature film.

McFarlane is also a manufacturer of toys, putting out action figures of both real and fictional characters.

His toy division offers a likeness of the rock band KISS, as well as miniature versions of Bob and Doug McKenzie and the Hanson Brothers from Slap Shot.

He also made a name for himself as a collector of sports memorabilia, paying $3 million US in 1999 for Mark McGwire's 70th home-run baseball.

Known as a Chapter 11 filing, McFarlane's bankruptcy allows his company to keep operating while he comes up with a business plan that will satisfy creditors.

Last year, McFarlane said that his McFarlane Cos., then an umbrella of seven businesses, had annual sales exceeding $50 million US.

Kraut
12-25-2004, 05:53 AM
Damn that does suck. His early work with Spider-Man was awesome.

Hammock Parties
12-25-2004, 06:29 AM
HORSESHIT!

Skip Towne
12-25-2004, 07:08 AM
Well, that rather sucks!

Rausch
12-25-2004, 07:27 AM
Damn that does suck. His early work with Spider-Man was awesome.

And his greed killed comix... :mad:

laser1972
12-25-2004, 07:50 AM
Ah... Maybe those millions of dollars spend on baseballs couldnt have been made to , oh i dunno PAY your DEBTS off...

Classic...

htismaqe
12-25-2004, 08:19 AM
Ah... Maybe those millions of dollars spend on baseballs couldnt have been made to , oh i dunno PAY your DEBTS off...

Classic...

He doesn't really have any "debts".

Looks to me like being sued was the one thing that did it.

unlurking
12-25-2004, 09:10 AM
He doesn't really have any "debts".

Looks to me like being sued was the one thing that did it.
Sad how a professional athlete can be compared to Bluntman and Chronic!

:D

teedubya
12-25-2004, 10:23 AM
well most companies that are profitable are given stays of execution... sounds more like a ploy to avoid paying Twist, whoever he is. McFarlane should stay around for awhile... his art form is incredible.

htismaqe
12-25-2004, 10:25 AM
well most companies that are profitable are given stays of execution... sounds more like a ploy to avoid paying Twist, whoever he is. McFarlane should stay around for awhile... his art form is incredible.

Yep.

I got the McFarlane 12" Priest Holmes this morning!

Phobia
12-25-2004, 12:50 PM
I really don't see how a company that makes $100 for a statue that costs them 12 cents to manufacture can file for Chapter 11.

Deberg_1990
12-25-2004, 01:35 PM
Tony Twist was a great "inforcer"/ "Thug" for the St Louis Blues....he was fun to watch.

Demonpenz
12-25-2004, 08:17 PM
Tony Twist was a great "inforcer"/ "Thug" for the St Louis Blues....he was fun to watch.

twist is fun, but artest is a thug. makes sense

whoman69
12-25-2004, 09:38 PM
I would think that it would be hard to recoup his $3 million for the McGwire ball now that the record is broken.

Eleazar
12-25-2004, 10:21 PM
I really liked those Spawn books when they first came out... got the first 20 still, except the two they skipped.

Valiant
12-25-2004, 10:31 PM
I really liked those Spawn books when they first came out... got the first 20 still, except the two they skipped.

they did not skip any.. i have the first 30 sitting in a box...need to sell em...

Eleazar
12-25-2004, 10:50 PM
they did not skip any.. i have the first 30 sitting in a box...need to sell em...

I started reading the title around #5. I bought the first four, but then after that I was buying month-to-month. Books 19 and 20 (maybe 18 and 19, don't quite remember) they skipped, and one month it was just issue number 21. They eventually went back and filled in those two, so the issues do exist now.