PDA

View Full Version : I still don't understand...

whoman69
12-25-2004, 09:50 PM
Why teams continue to use their worst athlete to hold for kicks? Why in the heck can't the backup QB do the job? They have much better hands, are more used to snaps, and if there is a problem they won't look like a dead sardine floating on the surface.

whoman69
12-25-2004, 09:51 PM
Also at the rate we replace punters, we have a new holder as well.

Hammock Parties
12-25-2004, 09:51 PM
I think it's because punters don't have much else to work on. Position players have more important stuff to be thinking about.

whoman69
12-25-2004, 10:03 PM
I think it's because punters don't have much else to work on. Position players have more important stuff to be thinking about.
And backup QBs are working on their clipboard holding skills?

Rain Man
12-25-2004, 10:10 PM
I would agree that punters can work with kickers all day. Other players are practicing with the regular units.

Rain Man
12-25-2004, 10:11 PM
Also, punters are less likely to get injured during the season.

penchief
12-25-2004, 10:14 PM
Also, punters are less likely to get injured during the season.

Plus, catching long snaps is also part of their day job.

Skip Towne
12-25-2004, 10:45 PM
Well, yeah, there's all that too. But the primary reason is that the punter routinely handles the ball several times a game under "game conditions". The backup QB does not and would have hands as stiff as GoChief's dick.

Eleazar
12-25-2004, 10:51 PM
Vermeil said in his press conference last week that they were bringing him in, and he mentioned that he was a good holder too. I can't remember us having a bad hold when Collins/Baker/whoever was holding, but DV did mention it.

whoman69
12-26-2004, 06:05 PM
Vermeil said in his press conference last week that they were bringing him in, and he mentioned that he was a good holder too. I can't remember us having a bad hold when Collins/Baker/whoever was holding, but DV did mention it.
I think that has as much to do with our snapper, but when Allen starts that may change and we will need someone who can do something with the ball. I have seen too many games where its on the line, the punter fumbles the snap and its Garo Ypremian all over.