PDA

View Full Version : PFW tidbits on the Chiefs!

2bikemike
12-27-2004, 04:15 PM
* The Chiefs may be regretting that they signed safeties Greg Wesley and Jerome Woods to sizable extensions in the offseason, but they’ve been pleasantly surprised with SS Willie Pile, who has filled in with Woods and Wesley sidelined the past several weeks. Pile isn’t a standout in coverage, but sources feel he could be groomed to transition over to free safety, allowing him to team with the more physical Wesley for the future in Kansas City’s secondary.

* Chiefs ORG Will Shields likes the versatility of the right tackles the team has trotted out this year, but he doesn’t want to name a favorite heading into next season between John Welbourn, Chris Bober and Jordan Black. “They’re pretty unique in that they’re all interchangeable guys,” Shields told PFW of the trio, who all can play inside as well. “It’s tough to fix on one guy who’s going to be there (next season) because you never know what the offseason and training camp is going to hold. When we come out on Sunday, that’s who’s there, and I know any one of the guys they put there is going to do a good job and fight and battle and do the best they can.”

* Upon first glance, it would appear that with 452 rushing yards and eight total touchdowns in the last four games, second-year RB Larry Johnson is carving out a place for himself in the Chiefs’ future.

But it’s conceivable, we’re told, that he could be carving out a place for himself elsewhere as possible trade bait this offseason.

Priest Holmes, shelved since Week 10 with strained knee ligaments, has said he is looking forward to coming back next year after leaving so much left on the table with Kansas City’s disappointing season. That news came as a welcome relief for the Chiefs, who were nearly left on shaky ground after Holmes contemplated retirement last summer.

Johnson, meanwhile, has had a tenuous relationship at times with the Chiefs and head coach Dick Vermeil, who called him out earlier this season to “take the diapers off.” Sources close to the team believe that Johnson may not be long for Kansas City once his initial contract is up, and while his questionable attitude and general unhappiness with his role have been eased somewhat by his recent performance, he’s still viewed as a potential problem if things turn sour down the road.

With this in mind, we’re told it wouldn’t come as a surprise if the Chiefs put out some feelers to see what Johnson could command in a market in need of workhorse backs. A quality, veteran defender and a high draft pick the Chiefs could immediately use on defense would seem to be in order for Johnson’s services, maybe more. Middle linebacker and cornerback are the two positions most in need of an upgrade for Kansas City’s porous defense. Johnson’s accelerated cap number, if traded, is estimated at $2.3 million.

It should be mentioned, however, that both Holmes and Vermeil could very well be settling into retirement after the 2005 season, as the Chiefs are gearing up for one more run at a title. The departures of both could have Johnson singing a different tune if he can stay patient in the shadows until then.

If such a trade did go down, it would become a necessity to re-sign soon-to-be unrestricted free agent Derrick Blaylock for depth. Blaylock, too, has been hampered by knee problems of late but has proven his worth in the past and is a good fit for the Chiefs’ offense.

2bikemike
12-27-2004, 04:17 PM
Oooops forgot one.

It shouldn’t come as a huge surprise if WR Johnnie Morton isn’t back with the Chiefs next year. K.C. tried to get him to rework his contract this season but couldn’t get it done. With Marc Boerigter due back from a knee injury this summer and youngster Samie Parker needing more playing time, it seems conceivable that Morton could be shown the door.

Deberg_1990
12-27-2004, 04:23 PM
I used to be on the trade LJ bandwagon but not anymore. I dont feel we should trade away possibly the best 1st round pick Carl has made since Gonzalez.

Mr. Laz
12-27-2004, 04:30 PM
Neither Holmes or Johnson are going to be traded

Holmes is Vermeil's guy ... he's not going anywhere

Johnson is Peterson's guy ... he's not going anywhere

in fact, i dont expect my change this offseason at all

2bikemike
12-27-2004, 04:31 PM

Which is?

htismaqe
12-27-2004, 04:35 PM

You don't expect changes in the offseason? Are you really THAT jaded.

Even if you want to take the "their only in it for the money" route, there's very little evidence to suggest that they'll once again do nothing.

Fact is, Peterson has continuously acquired players in 2-year cycles and this year will likely be no different. They'll sign a couple of high-profile free agents, Whitlock will talk about 16-0, and we'll finish 8-8 while be ranked #1 in the NFL in attendance.