PDA

View Full Version : Quick question for the computer geeks of Chiefs Planet....

Chief_Justice
12-30-2004, 09:37 PM
I recently upgraded to Windows XP on my home computer and I need to update my Virus protection.

I've had McAfee....sucks! And most recently have been using Norton Internet Security, which in a nutshell I would describe as feeling like I'm being continually anally-raped on a month-by-month basis. Needless to say, I have NOT been happy with my virus protection programs.

Can anyone recommend a good, cheap anti-virus program that is pretty reliable???

Windows XP has its own firewall built in, but I'm not sure if I should use it.

Any help or suggestions that could be offered would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Phobia
12-30-2004, 09:44 PM
www.grisoft.com

download AVG Free. Good stuff. Price is right, too.

Manila-Chief
12-30-2004, 11:37 PM
I agree ... AVG ... been using it for years. It is better than Norton's ... got both on my laptop!!!

Chief_Justice
12-30-2004, 11:44 PM
Thanks both.

I downloaded AVG and am up and running.

Much appreciated! Rep to you both!

:thumb:

ChiefsFire
12-31-2004, 12:13 AM
AVG is great

Vegas_Dave
12-31-2004, 12:22 AM
If you want cheap, then AVG is unbeatable and personally, i would take it over Norton and McAfee any day.

Personally, I have found TrendMicros product by far the best. They used to call it PC-Cilling but now I think they call it Internet Security.

QuikSsurfer
12-31-2004, 12:24 AM
www.pandasoftware.com

theultimatekcchiefsfan
12-31-2004, 12:47 AM
Dont use xps's firewall either. Zonealarms frre firewall is much better and works flawlessly with AVG too.

Vegas_Dave
12-31-2004, 12:55 AM
Dont use xps's firewall either. Zonealarms frre firewall is much better and works flawlessly with AVG too.

Especially if you intend on doing any filesharing on a network. The XP firewall doesnt really allow for it.

Marada
12-31-2004, 05:56 AM
Especially if you intend on doing any filesharing on a network. The XP firewall doesnt really allow for it.

I agree with Vegas. Been running the free version of Zonealarm and anyone without it is asking for trouble. www.zonelabs.com You'll have to look a tad to find the free version but it's there. And don't forget ad-aware and spy-bot. You can get those at www.download.com.

KC Jones
12-31-2004, 06:21 AM
Yet another endorsement of AVG and Zone Alarm. Throw in Ad-aware, spybot, and winpatrol and you should be pretty well protected from most virii, trojans, spyware, and hack attempts.

Kerberos
12-31-2004, 06:45 AM
If you want cheap, then AVG is unbeatable and personally, i would take it over Norton and McAfee any day.

Personally, I have found TrendMicros product by far the best. They used to call it PC-Cilling but now I think they call it Internet Security.

Hey man did they(Pc-Cillin) finally fix the pop settings when it attaches to your emails and created all the errors ? I know in 2000 it was one of the top rated and we stoped using it around 2001-2002 cause one of the updates was causing errors/problems in certain machines ... I would go back to TrendMicro products if they have done allot of work to fix thier problems?

Also are the wholesale prices comparable to Nortons, or more in the Panda range under $20??

Thanks

Cliff

Vegas_Dave
12-31-2004, 11:54 AM
Hey man did they(Pc-Cillin) finally fix the pop settings when it attaches to your emails and created all the errors ? I know in 2000 it was one of the top rated and we stoped using it around 2001-2002 cause one of the updates was causing errors/problems in certain machines ... I would go back to TrendMicro products if they have done allot of work to fix thier problems?

Also are the wholesale prices comparable to Nortons, or more in the Panda range under $20??

Thanks

Cliff

I know what you are talking about. I havent heard of any problems since the 2003 version release. I have used it exclusively on my machines for a few years and have had zero problems of any sort.

Wholesale price I dont know because I dont deal wholesale, just a private consumer who builds custom machines for people in my free time (laughable) between running my music stores and raising my 2.5year old and 5 month old boys!

I know the retail pricing is pretty fair. Typically $49.95 but if you go online and use their online scanner (HouseCall) and take the quiz they give (5 easy questions) while it is scanning, you can get a code to drop it to $39.95

PastorMikH
12-31-2004, 11:20 PM
Has anyone suggested AVG yet?:)

Put the new free version 7.0 on the kids computer and am impressed with it. Need to get around to putting it on this one and the 'puter at the office.

PssvAggrssvDck
12-31-2004, 11:26 PM
Has anyone suggested AVG yet?:)

Put the new free version 7.0 on the kids computer and am impressed with it. Need to get around to putting it on this one and the 'puter at the office.'

AVG rocks.

chiefs4me
12-31-2004, 11:30 PM
'

AVG rocks.

pretty cute log in name ya got,,but I am not buying it,,who are you really?

PssvAggrssvDck
12-31-2004, 11:31 PM
pretty cute log in name ya got,,but I am not buying it,,who are you really?

SDChiefsfan

chiefs4me
12-31-2004, 11:36 PM
I got it right when I read your response on the search thread. Pretty sharp,,aren't I?

PssvAggrssvDck
12-31-2004, 11:38 PM
I got it right when I read your response on the search thread. Pretty sharp,,aren't I?

Are you Hel'n, if we are "sharing?"

If so, it's good to see you back. Honestly.