View Full Version : Georgia Tech on KU's mind

royr17
12-31-2004, 08:06 PM
http://www.kusports.com/news/mens_basketball/story/112662
Georgia Tech on KU's mind
As rematch nears, Jayhawks watching film of NCAA loss

By Gary Bedore, Assistant Sports Editor

Thursday, December 30, 2004

Bill Self saw no need last offseason to view tape of Kansas University's men's basketball loss to Georgia Tech in the 2004 NCAA Tournament.

"I just thought it was better off not watching it and putting ourselves through that again," KU coach Self said Wednesday, acknowledging earlier this week he finally eyed the replay of a 79-71 overtime loss to the Yellow Jackets.

"I found myself making notes and saying the same things I would have if the game was played yesterday," Self said, referring to the March 28 Elite Eight game in St. Louis.

"I even got on Wayne (Simien). In one little clip we showed the team, I said, ‘See Wayne, good gosh you can't be doing that', and he's not even playing."

Film sessions have been mandatory this week, considering key players from KU (8-0) and Georgia Tech (9-1) will return for a 1:30 p.m. rematch Saturday at Allen Fieldhouse. "It definitely hurt watching it," KU point guard Aaron Miles said, "because they took us out of the tournament. You can't change the past. You've got to learn from it."

The eye in the sky showed the Jayhawks getting burned by guard Jarrett Jack, who scored 29 points. The Yellow Jackets went all the way to the national-championship game, where they fell to UConn.

The film showed KU missing 16 of its first 18 shots on a day points were tough to come by.

"Not good memories. It looked a lot worse than I thought it would," KU senior guard Michael Lee said. "They beat us in transition, beat us to the glass, beat us to loose balls."

Senior Keith Langford didn't hesitate when asked which part of the tape horrified him the most.

"When I fouled out," said the senior guard, who fouled out on a questionable offensive foul call shortly after hitting two free throws to open the overtime.

He spoke out about the call after the game and last summer was reprimanded by the NCAA.

"I really feel the outcome would have been a lot different had I stayed in the game," he said Wednesday. "I scored 15 points the second half. It wasn't in my hands at the end. Watching the last couple minutes on the side really hurt."

KU was outscored, 13-5, in the extra session. "I got nervous watching it," Self said of watching the game from the bench. "It was a game of runs. We simply ran out of gas in overtime."

Georgia Tech coach Paul Hewitt, of course, also remembers the game vividly.

"I remember last year I couldn't wait until it was over. I was exhausted by the end," Hewitt said. "Overtime was a blur. Everybody was exhausted after a great game."

Simien shooting: KU senior Wayne Simien had the stitches removed from the incision on his surgically repaired left thumb earlier this week. Simien, who could miss up to five more weeks of action, is taking part in shooting exercises and conditioning.

"He's doing well. As a matter of fact I think he can play Saturday," Self joked. "No, he's not (ready). If the officials would let a guy with a cast up to his elbow play he could certainly commit a hard foul. I don't think the layoff will keep him from being in game shape when he's ready to come back."

This, that: Christian Moody, who hails from Asheville, N.C., was a couple hours late back from Christmas break Monday after his connecting flight was delayed in Cincinnati. ... Self said he had no idea which big man would start next to Moody on Saturday. He said KU would use various combinations, including playing four perimeter players at times. ... Bryce Webster, a 6-9 junior high school forward from Mendota Heights, Minn., tells rivals.com he will make an unofficial visit to KU for the Tech game.

royr17
12-31-2004, 08:09 PM
All jayhawk fans out there, we all know that Wayne Simien wont play against Georgia Tech, but doesn anybody in there mind think he will try to play against Kentucky ?

I want us to beat Kentucky so bad, all my friends down here have been talking smack about how Kentucky is going to hand it to Kansas.

So what do yall guys think ? Could he play and do you think he would play against UK ?

Skip Towne
12-31-2004, 08:21 PM
Tell me when the UK game is and I'll tell you if Dub will play.

royr17
12-31-2004, 08:29 PM
Next Saturday ...

Skip Towne
12-31-2004, 08:41 PM
Next Saturday ...
Nope. I figure he'll be ready for Villanova (22nd) if we think we'll need him and Texas (29th) otherwise.

PssvAggrssvDck
01-01-2005, 12:12 AM
fugg the yellow jackets