PDA

View Full Version : DT Shaun Rogers now off the FA market...

shaneo69
01-01-2005, 11:46 PM
Check out the numbers on this contract, and ask yourself whether Lamar/Carl will pay this kind of money to get an impact UFA or two this offseason....

By John Clayton
ESPN.com

On the eve of their final game, the Detroit Lions made a major move toward next season and the future by reaching a six-year, $46 million contract extension with defensive tackle Shaun Rogers that included a $15 million signing bonus.

Since being drafted in the second round of the 2001 draft, Rogers has been one of the most dominating interior linemen in the league. He earned his first trip to the Pro Bowl this season, his fourth with the team, but that isn't the only respect he has gained.

Rogers has been double-teamed so much by opposing blockers that it has enabled the other defensive linemen to be at the top of the sack lists as a unit. Defensive end James Hall, for example, is among the sack leaders with 11½ because he has been getting single blocking.

The Rogers deal was completed Saturday. His agents, Kennard McGuire and Fletcher Smith of CSMG, declined comment about the contract.

The deal, which will run through 2010, makes Rogers the highest-paid defensive tackle in football. It tops the $6 million a year deal signed by Warren Sapp in Tampa Bay before he left for the Raiders. Anthony McFarland of the Bucs signed a six-year, $31.25 million deal, and Kris Jenkins of the Panthers signed for roughly the same.

Rogers earned the ability to make the big dollars by proving he had durability and dominance despite a foot problem that scared away many teams from drafting him.

Had the Lions not reached an agreement with Rogers, there was a good chance they would have slapped him with the franchise tag.

BigChiefFan
01-01-2005, 11:49 PM
The Lions were SMART to get Rogers signed long-term. He's one of the best young DTs in the game.

stumppy
01-01-2005, 11:51 PM
It'll never happen.

2bikemike
01-02-2005, 12:11 AM
The Lions were SMART to get Rogers signed long-term. He's one of the best young DTs in the game.

I agree. I think he is one of Gretz's ascending players.

stevieray
01-02-2005, 12:14 AM
players are not worth this kind of money, and IMO opinion, it has RUINED the game...... and people complain when ticket prices continue to rise.

PssvAggrssvDck
01-02-2005, 12:19 AM
players are not worth this kind of money, and IMO opinion, it has RUINED the game...... and people complain when ticket prices continue to rise.

We complain, but we continue to pay.

2bikemike
01-02-2005, 12:22 AM

And this has been going on for a great number of years. You would think that they will eventually price themselves right out of business. But somebody is always willing to fork over the dough. IMHO we are going to see all games on a PPV basis before it all said and done.

stevieray
01-02-2005, 12:31 AM
And this has been going on for a great number of years. You would think that they will eventually price themselves right out of business. But somebody is always willing to fork over the dough. IMHO we are going to see all games on a PPV basis before it all said and done.

I think it speaks volumes about our society. I think it epitomizes how shallow we've become, (I'm guilty too, cause I pay) especially right adter the tragedy that has killed so many and left five million homeless.

FIVE MILLION HOMELESS...still less than his signing bonus.

It's just not right. And I'm part of the problem.

BigChiefFan
01-02-2005, 12:37 AM
players are not worth this kind of money, and IMO opinion, it has RUINED the game...... and people complain when ticket prices continue to rise.At this poiint in his career he has EARNED this pay raise. Do I think the money is over the top? Yes, I do, however, how much money do the Lions make if ther team continues to improve due to Roger's efforts? A hell of alot more than what they are paying him. Knowing Rogers has been a dominate DT, you either pay him or your team takes a step in the WRONG Direction. They aren't going to find a superior DT in FA. His money is a hefty chunk, but in today's day and age, it really isn't all that much for a professional athlete. It's all supply and demand and having a DOMINATE DT is worth the price, IMO. He's the Lions franchise player and when you have a YOUNG, UPPER-ECHELON FRANCHISE player, you pay the man.

stevieray
01-02-2005, 12:43 AM
At this poiint in his career he has EARNED this pay raise. Do I think the money is over the top? Yes, I do, however, how much money do the Lions make if ther team continues to improve due to Roger's efforts? A hell of alot more than what they are paying him. Knowing Rogers has been a dominate DT, you either pay him or your team takes a step in the WRONG Direction. They aren't going to find a superior DT in FA. His money is a hefty chunk, but in today's day and age, it really isn't all that much for a professional athlete. It's all supply and demand and having a DOMINATE DT is worth the price, IMO. He's the Lions franchise player and when you have a YOUNG, UPPER-ECHELON FRANCHISE player, you pay the man.

BS. Owners are bending over for the players, and putting it on the fans.

It's not about the game anymore. It's about indviduals in a team sport. It's about a media dog and pony show.

easymobee
01-02-2005, 12:53 AM
Im an opposing fan and maybe my opinion is null here, but i don't think that you guys necessarily need to sign 40-50 million dollar type players to get that D on pace to be middle of the road ... which is all you need if you offense can do it for one more year.

One of those expensive FA's will be the quickest way to upgrade though and leave less to the " if all the breaks go right" side of things.

If i were the Chiefs GM and i wanted the D to get better "enough".

I'd spend most of my money on a bona fide #1 CB.

Fred Smoot can be that for you. Warfield is a decent-good #2 CB IMO and McCleon can be a decent Nickle or Dime if he's invited back.

I'd use my 1st rounder on the best LB in the Draft.

Some may say that rookies aren't going to help that much, but imagine either Vilma or DJ Williams in a Chiefs uni this year and tell me if either of those 2 wouldn't have been your best LBer.

Then i'd take a leap of faith on the DL and hope that Sims is gonna be a honest to goodness good starter next year.

Sign a few bargain guys for depth ....

The Broncos D Line isnt the best (w/o Pryce) but scrap heap guys like Ellis Johnson, Marco Coleman, and Palepoi have been there all year and have made it at least a decent line.

Anyway, just 2 cents worth of thought from one of your sworn enemies.

easymobee
01-02-2005, 12:56 AM
Also when i read about how much money some of these guys get ( ie Champ Bailey or Shaun Rogers ) i never worry if that player is "worth" it or not.

Who cares?

It's the teams money ....

And that money comes from you the fan ....

So who cares if you don't think a guy is worth the money as long as he is an upgrade and your owner/gm is willing to spend it.

If i had a billion dollars and a stake in the best sports business in the world (NFL) then i wouldn't mind overpaying to make sure Player A comes to my team rather than another team.

PssvAggrssvDck
01-02-2005, 12:58 AM

So who cares if you don't think a guy is worth the money as long as he is an upgrade and your owner/gm is willing to spend it.

The hell it's not my money. I'm a season ticket holder. And I have no desire for those PSL bullshit fees...

stevieray
01-02-2005, 01:00 AM
Also when i read about how much money some of these guys get ( ie Champ Bailey or Shaun Rogers ) i never worry if that player is "worth" it or not.

Who cares?

It's not a matter of caring, Captain obvious, it's matter of whether it's worth paying the ticket price.

easymobee
01-02-2005, 01:01 AM
The hell it's not my money. I'm a season ticket holder. And I have no desire for those PSL bullshit fees...

How much is a beer at Arrowhead?

I thought someone posted 7.75, but i almost thought they must be exaggerating.

If that is the real price, i encourage you to always try to sneak in your own refreshments.

its in the 5.50 - 6 $ range at Mile High.

PssvAggrssvDck
01-02-2005, 01:02 AM
How much is a beer at Arrowhead?

I thought someone posted 7.75, but i almost thought they must be exaggerating.

If that is the real price, i encourage you to always try to sneak in your own refreshments.

its in the 5.50 - 6 $ range at Mile High.

Ranges from $6.75 on up.....

Sneakin' 'em in, if caught....can lead to forfieture of your tickets.

easymobee
01-02-2005, 01:04 AM
It's not a matter of caring, Captain obvious, it's matter of whether it's worth paying the ticket price.

I just posted that because i know a lot of fans ( of every team ) will give it an OK that there team lost out on a FA to another team because he was more expensive than you as "a fan" would have expected.

I say to the hell with that .... Its all pretty much monopoly money anyway.

If my team has a choice between Peyton Manning and Marc Bulger in a hypothetical FA period ... im not gonna worry about how much money my poor owner has to spend.

Im gonna want the better guy.

just a random thought ... not trying to stir anything up.

easymobee
01-02-2005, 01:05 AM
Ranges from $6.75 on up.....

Sneakin' 'em in, if caught....can lead to forfieture of your tickets.

I never try to sneak in Beer ... too bulky.

Shooters are much more user friendly.

PssvAggrssvDck
01-02-2005, 01:08 AM
I never try to sneak in Beer ... too bulky.

Shooters are much more user friendly.

They don't like to frisk fatguys at Arrowhead, but they are always grabbin' on me....

BigChiefFan
01-02-2005, 01:21 AM
BS. Owners are bending over for the players, and putting it on the fans.

It's not about the game anymore. It's about indviduals in a team sport. It's about a media dog and pony show.Without the players, the owners don't have much to own. Look, I understand that you believe the salaries are out of hand and I agree, but calling out Rogers for his payday isn't the battle I would take on. This isn't exactly a Peyton Manning type contract. Like you said we keep paying, so it's our own damn fault that they make this kind of money. If the players make this much, imagine what the owners make. Lamar makes easily $25 million PROFIT every year for that past several years. That's money he puts in his pocket after the players are paid. I call bull shit on the players are sticking it to the owners. The owners have a choice and it should be very clear to you, that the Chiefs CHOOSE to go the economical route when it comes to FA. The Owners don't have to pay jack shit if they are so inclined.

stevieray
01-02-2005, 10:36 AM
Without the players, the owners don't have much to own. Look, I understand that you believe the salaries are out of hand and I agree, but calling out Rogers for his payday isn't the battle I would take on. This isn't exactly a Peyton Manning type contract. Like you said we keep paying, so it's our own damn fault that they make this kind of money. If the players make this much, imagine what the owners make. Lamar makes easily $25 million PROFIT every year for that past several years. That's money he puts in his pocket after the players are paid. I call bull shit on the players are sticking it to the owners. The owners have a choice and it should be very clear to you, that the Chiefs CHOOSE to go the economical route when it comes to FA. The Owners don't have to pay jack shit if they are so inclined.

without the players?.....how about without the game......?

I said the owners are sticking it to the FANS. Besides, players are sticking it to the owners. Terrell Owens is a perfect example. He told the NFL WHERE he was going to play. The playoffs won't stop without him. The game isn't less great without him. The game created him, not the other way around.