PDA

View Full Version : Wayne Simien plans on playing against Kentucky ...

royr17
01-02-2005, 02:56 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?id=1957123

Kansas Toughens up with football pads

By Andy Katz
ESPN.com

LAWRENCE, Kan. -- Bill Self knew without Wayne Simien against Georgia Tech that he needed to shake up practice last week or else Kansas wasn't going to win.

The Jayhawks weren't tough enough. He went as far as to call them soft.

So, he got Kansas' blue and white football jerseys, picking the same numbers his basketball players wear in tank tops. He had helmets ready. The equipment was all lined up, ready to be unveiled at the slightest hint that the Jayhawks were slacking in practice.

I threatened them that if we didn't have our best practice of the year then I would pull them out," Self told ESPN.com about last Wednesday's practice. The idea isn't new. Michigan State has done it under Tom Izzo. Oklahoma State did it a year ago under Eddie Sutton. But it's still rare.

Self had never reverted to dragging out the football gear. But he didn't expect his player of the year candidate to be out for the New Year's Day special with a thumb injury. So, he had to do something.

"I didn't know if it was a good idea or not but I think it woke them up," Self told ESPN.com after the Jayhawks outlasted Georgia Tech 80-78 in overtime in front of a crowd that might as well have been witnessing the dropping of the ball in Times Square Saturday night. The euphoria was so intense that the noise level had to be at a U2 concert-meter height at times. There was plenty to cheer, especially the Jayhawks' effort, exhibited by them outrebounding Georgia Tech 43-40.

"Kansas played tough down the stretch after we got up on them," Georgia Tech coach Paul Hewitt said. "Kansas toughed it out and made tough shots."

Was it because of the pads?

"We were playing soft in practice and I do think it paid off for this game," said Kansas senior point guard Aaron Miles. During Wednesday's practice, senior guard Keith Langford said Self abruptly told him to "get fitted for your helmet and I said, 'What? Are you serious?' "

He was. Sure enough, halfway through practice, Self had seen enough of a poor effort "got pissed off and said "go put them on."

"I hated it," Langford said. "But it had an effect, not physical but mental. It was body on body contact. No one got seriously hurt. It was the craziest thing I'd ever seen. We first tried to go up and down but it looked horrible. There were probably more bloopers than there are actual hits. But then it was rebounding and boxing out."

Self took Izzo's rebounding drill but didn't put a bubble on the basket. He said he purposely missed shots to force the players to dive for the loose rebounds and knock each other around.

"I played football in high school but I was a quarterback and I didn't hit anybody," Miles said. "It was funny to see the players who didn't know how to hit."

"I didn't do it (the football pads) to hurt them, but it set the tone," Self said. "We may have won the game without that but I'm not sure we would have. I wanted them to think tougher. We had to be tough, not tougher than Georgia Tech, because they're tough. We had to be tough, though."

Georgia Tech junior guard Jarrett Jack followed up his 29 points against Kansas in the Elite Eight victory last March in St. Louis with 26 Saturday as leading scorer B.J. Elder played only seven minutes because of a strained hamstring. Jack said Kansas was the "grittiest team we'll ever face."

The Jayhawks were down 18-4 early, and trailed by 16 points twice in the first half.

"But after that it was a grind-it-out game and that played to our favor," Self said. "I didn't think we were a grind-it-out team. I thought we were soft."

The questions facing Kansas heading into this monster rematch was KU's toughness. Simien is the heart and soul of this team as well as its strongest player. He injured the thumb against South Carolina on Dec. 20 and underwent surgery on his non-shooting left thumb. He missed the Jayhawks' win over UW-Milwaukee and was slated to be out for another four weeks.

But Simien told ESPN.com after the victory Saturday that he is going to try to play at Kentucky on Jan. 9 (KU opens the Big 12 against Texas A&M first on Jan. 5). Simien said he's getting a soft cast put on Monday and already has one for games made for him that "doesn't bother me at all."

Even if Simien does play against the Wildcats in Kansas' first true road game of the season, the Jayhawks had to discover their toughness without him.

"With Wayne out, our big guys needed to step up," Miles said. "I didn't know if they would make stuff happen or say, 'well I'm a freshman.' Sometimes coach says we're soft but it was the complete opposite out there."

Freshman C.J. Giles, the Jayhawk with the longest reach, bodied up Georgia Tech's 7-1 Luke Schenscher but fouled out in 11 minutes. That left most of the dirty work inside to 6-8 junior (and one-time walk-on) Christian Moody, 6-7 freshman Alex Galindo.

Galindo hit a rainbow 3-pointer to get over a high-flying Isma'il Muhmmad to give the Jayhawks a 65-64 lead in overtime. But just as important were his defensive rebounds to prevent Georgia Tech from finishing plays.

"We wanted to prove that we could win without 'Dub,"' Galindo said of Simien's absence. "We went after every ball."

Georgia Tech senior Anthony McHenry said the Jayhawks were hungrier and that their "big guys got to the offensive glass hard, getting the loose balls that we had to fight for. They played great."

"For us to win this game, we had to be tough and gritty without Wayne," Langford said. "We had to do the small things."

Self isn't ready to announce this as a turning point just yet for a team that is undefeated at 9-0 and considered a national favorite. But the Jayhawks found out about themselves last week in practice and Saturday against the Yellow Jackets that they are a harder lot than they thought. If it took reverting to the football pads and helmets on a basketball court to find their inner strength then consider this gimmick a success.

So far in the post-football pad era, this squad is 1-0 and still driving toward its ultimate goal of a national title.

teedubya
01-02-2005, 04:34 AM
nice.

the Talking Can
01-02-2005, 07:19 AM
what ever works...lol...I hope they don't let Simien back until he is really healthy...2-3 more weeks just means more time for our freshman to grow up...it will all be good come tournament time

the Talking Can
01-02-2005, 07:34 AM
here's a good article on the game....
poznansk (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/10545576.htm)

Posted on Sun, Jan. 02, 2005

Langford: the man of the moment

LAWRENCE — In overtime, with the game there for the taking, with Allen Fieldhouse shaking and sweating and Dick Vitale shaking and sweating, with steam seeming to rise off the floor, Keith Langford walked over to his co-star for the day, Georgia Tech's Jarrett Jack.

“This is gonna be an ESPN classic,” Langford said.

“No doubt,” Jack said.

“All right then,” Langford said. “Let's finish it.”

There are certain players you run across in sports who love the big moment. Keith Langford is one of those players. Yes, he made the shot Saturday afternoon, New Year's Day, the colossal final shot that put Kansas ahead of Georgia Tech to stay and ended one of the wildest, bumpiest, gutsiest and best college basketball games ever played in this grand old building. We can talk about the shot in a moment.

What was even more fascinating than the shot, though, was watching Keith Langford play basketball in the second half and overtime of this thrilling game. He absolutely loved it. Georgia Tech had led by 16. But that was a long time before, back in the first half when the Kansas players — Langford in particular — looked lost in the fog. He made just one of eight shots in the first half. “It looked like there were 10 of them out there,” Langford said.

Still, somehow, Kansas cut the margin to seven by halftime. In the second half, Kansas cut deeper into the lead.

And the hotter it got, the more Langford seemed to love it. His smile grew bigger. He looked often into the crowd. He bounced around like a kid. His jump shot smoothed out. At one point, he looked hard into the eyes of Jarrett Jack, who seemed to be loving this game every bit as much as Langford. He waved Jack in, as if to say, “Bring it on!” “We're still here,” he said to Jack. “We're not going anywhere.”

“We're not going anywhere either,” Jack said back.

This was great stuff. Vitale yelled and waved his arms — Vitale might be the only announcer left in sports who changes the dynamic of the game simply by being there. Whatever you think about him, he makes games bigger. This was big. The building was stifling hot. Fans crammed together like clowns in a Volkswagen. Cheers and boos bounced and ricocheted around the Fieldhouse like super balls.

Everything about this game was big. Scalpers were everywhere. Former stars were everywhere. There was Drew Gooden. There was Darnell Valentine. At one point, without warning, the public address announcer said: “Ladies and gentlemen, let's welcome back a Jayhawks legend: The Kansas Comet,” and suddenly Gale Sayers walked quickly across the floor. Gale Sayers. He wore a leather jacket. He waved uneasily and hurried off. He looked as if he was going to get a hot dog.

“It really was loud out there,” Langford said. Langford said it was so loud in the last few minutes, he could not even hear coach Bill Self's instructions in the huddle; he just looked at the squiggly lines. Then, this game had long stopped being about plays and instructions and coaching. Here was Georgia Tech, the national runner-up a year ago, and here was Kansas, the team Georgia Tech beat in the Elite Eight, and everybody was diving on the floor and setting Ray Lewis picks and making huge shots.

And Langford was having the time of his life out there.

“Keith just loves the bright lights,” Self said. “That's just the way he is — that's who he is. The tighter the game, the more stressful the game, the better he plays.” Kansas trailed by five with about 6 minutes left, when Langford drove hard, stopped and made a tough jumper. Before that, he had made just three of 13 shots. But Self could see that look in Langford's eyes after that jumper. Jack came right back and made a three-pointer right over Langford's outstretched arm. The game was on.

“Why don't you miss one?” Langford asked Jack.

“Not today,” Jack said.

With 3 minutes left, Langford made a long three-pointer that made the score 59-58. Jack came back, drove through the entire Kansas defense and somehow willed a shot in that gave Georgia Tech a three-point lead. What a player — Self would call Jack the best he's ever coached against.

Langford came back and made another three-pointer that tied the game. The crowd was in delirium. I've never heard the place louder. This was about as good as it could get, a Saturday afternoon at Allen Fieldhouse with gray sunlight coming through the windows, with the smell of popcorn and barbecue drifting through the place and two great basketball teams going back and forth like some sort of battle of the bands.

After Langford's game-tying three-pointer, way too many things happened. There was a questionable charge call and a missed shot by Langford, and then overtime, and then another questionable charge call (then, aren't all charge calls questionable?), and missed free throws and some big shots and finally Kansas had the ball with 20 seconds left in overtime. Self asked Langford whether he needed a timeout. Langford shook his head no.

“You want it?” Self asked. Langford read his lips.

“I want it,” Langford said.

Langford got the ball. He would say that a million things went through his head. Should he go left? Right? Should he drive all the way to the basket or pull up for a jumper? Should he try to get fouled or try to make the shot? Maybe he thought about how great this game was, how incredible it would be to make the game-winner, how many great players have made the big shot at Allen Fieldhouse through the years. With 6 seconds left, the questions and thoughts faded from his mind.

Really, you can think about things all you want, but in the end, it's all instinct.

Langford drove toward the middle of the court, spun, spun back, then jumped, faded from the defender, took the shot.

“Sometimes that shot goes in,” Langford says. “And sometimes it doesn't. But I knew I wanted to take it. That was the important thing. I wanted the shot.”

The ball swished through the net. And as the ball fell through, the shrieks and cheers just about ripped the roof off the Fieldhouse. It was wild. Langford ran around the court and screamed. Nobody could hear him, though. You could hardly even hear Dick Vitale shouting in the madness.

To reach Joe Posnanski, call (816) 234-4361 or send e-mail to jposnanski@kcstar.com. For previous columns, go to KansasCity.com.

Skip Towne
01-02-2005, 07:53 AM
It would be great to have Dub back for Kentucky. Beating a good team in Allen is one thing, beating UK in Rupp Arena is another.

DJay23
01-02-2005, 10:48 AM
It would be great to have Dub back for Kentucky. Beating a good team in Allen is one thing, beating UK in Rupp Arena is another.
Dub has a history of trying to come back too soon and making it worse. I say keep him out until he is absolutely, without a doubt 100%.

The win yesterday was nice, but we relied too much on hot 3 point shooting. You won't get that most nights.

I say give it a go at Kentucky without Wayne. If we lose, oh well at least it's non conference. Then when Wayne does come back, he'll be all fresh and geared up to storm through the Big XII.

Skip Towne
01-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Dub has a history of trying to come back too soon and making it worse. I say keep him out until he is absolutely, without a doubt 100%.

The win yesterday was nice, but we relied too much on hot 3 point shooting. You won't get that most nights.

I say give it a go at Kentucky without Wayne. If we lose, oh well at least it's non conference. Then when Wayne does come back, he'll be all fresh and geared up to storm through the Big XII.
This injury is different from his others in that it can be protected by a cast. Self said he could have played yesterday if the refs would allow a cast. They said he can play as soon as it is determined he is ready for a soft cast and Dub says he has one that doesn't bother him at all.

royr17
01-03-2005, 01:31 AM
Bump

Spicy McHaggis
01-03-2005, 02:00 AM
The game on New Year's Day was the best one I have ever been to. The energy in the place was absolutely ridiculous.

Fairplay
01-03-2005, 02:05 AM
The game on New Year's Day was the best one I have ever been to. The energy in the place was absolutely ridiculous.

Holy McManus! you were at the game? I was going nuts watching it. It must have been fun, I couldn't imagine being another team playing in that enviroment.